PDA

View Full Version : Pierce STFU already

lefty
10-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Big Mouth still talking :bang

Arrogance? Pierce doesn’t see it that way. He sees it as confidence. The 2008 title was a liberating experience for him, because it validated to many of the great unwashed what Pierce always has believed and continues to believe: that he is among the best, if not the best, in the NBA.

He made that point over the summer, when, while on a tour in Spain, he kept being pestered about Kobe Bryant. Wasn’t Kobe the MVP? Wasn’t Kobe the best player in the world? Finally, Pierce raised his hand and said, “I’m glad you think that, but I think I’m the best player.”

That was the line that, predictably, fired up the blogosphere. It was a line Pierce would have felt comfortable saying the year before, except there would have had to have been a laugh track in the background. But he genuinely feels that way and the 2008 title, in which his Celtics beat Kobe’s Lakers, reinforced that in his mind.

“That’s pretty much all that was said,” Pierce said this week. “This was not a personal battle between me and Kobe. It wasn’t directed at Kobe. It was not a knock on him or guys like LeBron James or Dwyane Wade. That’s how I feel. That’s how I am.”
“I’ve become a lot more noticeable,” he said. “Being a member of the Boston Celtics, their proud history and tradition, a lot of people watched the NBA Finals. Sometimes the attention is good, sometimes it’s bad. It’s good when they recognize you for your accomplishments. But at the same time, you also want your privacy.”

Pierce tried to keep a low profile in Las Vegas over the summer, deliberately staying away from what he called “the L.A. thing.” While Los Angeles is home, he’s still a Celtic. And L.A. fans still feel he was playing the drama queen to the max when he was carted off the floor in a wheelchair in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, only to return minutes later. Pierce made fun of that over the summer when he had a wheelchair take him onto the set of the “Jimmy Kimmel Show.”

But even Las Vegas can pose problems, as Pierce learned one early August morning when he was pulled over for “erratic driving.” Visibly agitated, he was briefly handcuffed by the police, but he passed a breathalyzer test and was soon on his way, although the incident received its fair share of attention.

“They were Lakers fans, I guess,” Pierce said of the Vegas police.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Al_llsMFACuS0CmtTstaHplShgM6?slug=ys-celticspierce102108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

m33p0
10-21-2008, 10:54 PM
don't worry, lefty. nobody is listening... 'cept laker fans i guess.

TheMACHINE
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
don't worry, lefty. nobody is listening... 'cept laker fans i guess.

lol..wtf...a spurs fan posted this..and u find a way to knock the lakers fans..crazy.

jack sommerset
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Pierce is not the best player on the Celtics. He sounds stupid.

AnotherArgie
10-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Pierce who?

bostonguy
10-21-2008, 11:43 PM
I love Pierce's competitiveness. You cant shut him down. You can only hope to contain him. As long as he continues to give it his all and bring it on the court (which he will), I dont have a problem with anything he says.

bostonguy
10-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I hate Pierce so much but I hate him even more for being a fearless son of a bitch.

:toast

timtonymanu
10-22-2008, 01:38 AM
it doesnt matter anyway. he still has less rings than kobe and duncan.

turiaf for president
10-22-2008, 08:21 AM
antonio pierce > paul pierce

Red Hawk #21
10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
lol..wtf...a spurs fan posted this..and u find a way to knock the lakers fans..crazy.

Odom's your starting PG this season?

JamStone
10-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. He's wrong, but he's entitled to think that. Probably about 25% of the players in the league if not more think that. Confidence, even absurd confidence, is part of most great players. And, he played like the best player in last season's Finals, so it's not really a preposterous statement. He's still wrong, but who cares?

angelbelow
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
have to like his "confidence"

jack sommerset
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
:toast

I like Pierce but Garnett is the reason he is even talking.Being the 35-40th best player in NBA is an accomplishment. Don't get carried away Boston Guy like Pierce is. They were the obvious choice in my eyes to win last year. This year not at all. The self proclaim greatess player in the world team will not repeat.

bostonguy
10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I like Pierce but Garnett is the reason he is even talking.Being the 35-40th best player in NBA is an accomplishment. Don't get carried away Boston Guy like Pierce is. They were the obvious choice in my eyes to win last year. This year not at all. The self proclaim greatess player in the world team will not repeat.

Please stop hating. You said you would take Michael Redd over Pierce.:lmao:lmao

While you can say KG helped get Boston a title, the same can easily be said about Pierce getting KG a title. KG is the Celts defensive anchor and a sidekick. He tried to be the man but that isnt his identity. Pierce is the teams overall leader. He is "the man" especially in the 4th quarter.

jack sommerset
10-22-2008, 04:52 PM

While you can say KG helped get Boston a title, the same can easily be said about Pierce getting KG a title. KG is the Celts defensive anchor and a sidekick. He tried to be the man but that isnt his identity. Pierce is the teams overall leader. He is "the man" especially in the 4th quarter.

I promise I am not hating. I think Pierce is OVERRATED. I like the guy but he is not even close to the best player in the world or on his team and thats not hating. People hate Garnett because he is awesome. Much better player than Pierce. People will start hating Pierce because he is being dumb.

Lets not forget about Rondo,Perkins,Allen,Posey and even House did durning that Championship run. This team was far better on paper than the rest of the league last year and proved it. I was a little worried when the Lakers got Gasol but that turned out to be to late.

I don't remember saying I would take Redd over Pierce but I would. (I just don't remember) I would take easily 35-40 players over Pierce probably more. The dumbass said everyone should take him number one in fantasy basketball this year. Give me a break. He is full of himself.

Celtics put a great team together last year and they have a great coach. For one player talking all this smack when he accomplished little until now is selfish and completly untrue.Pierce has a history in the league.

JamStone
10-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Doesn't mean Pierce should have said something that no one in basketball thinks is true. I don't have a problem with him saying it, but you have to understand why people will criticize him for it. And, without Pierce, the Celtics don't win the title. But, without KG, the Celtics don't even make it to the ECF, let alone to the Finals and win.

I'm curious. What would you have said if Chauncey Billups claimed he was the best player in the league in the summer of 2004?

Obstructed_View
10-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Paul Pierce has been the best player in the NBA during stretches. When his game is on, he's a top five player easy. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that he thinks he's the best, or that he would say that after all the years he had to play on rotten teams. That he would say it to media people that keep pestering him about Kobe Bryant is hardly surprising, particularly when he outplayed the guy head to head on the biggest stage in basketball.

lefty
10-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Paul Pierce has been the best player in the NBA during stretches. When his game is on, he's a top five player easy. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that he thinks he's the best, or that he would say that after all the years he had to play on rotten teams. That he would say it to media people that keep pestering him about Kobe Bryant is hardly surprising, particularly when he outplayed the guy head to head on the biggest stage in basketball.

Pierce IS a great player and an amazing competitor.

And it's ok to think you are the best; it's another thing to say it out loud; since he won a title, he's had a newfound big mouth.

m33p0
10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
yes. i am that good.

“They were Lakers fans, I guess,” Pierce said of the Vegas police.

bostonguy
10-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Doesn't mean Pierce should have said something that no one in basketball thinks is true. I don't have a problem with him saying it, but you have to understand why people will criticize him for it. And, without Pierce, the Celtics don't win the title. But, without KG, the Celtics don't even make it to the ECF, let alone to the Finals and win.

I'm curious. What would you have said if Chauncey Billups claimed he was the best player in the league in the summer of 2004?

If Billups had said that, I wouldnt have had a problem with it. If he truly believes that, I wont hold it against him. I wouldnt agree with the comment just like I didnt agree with Pierce's comment.

JamStone
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
If Billups had said that, I wouldnt have had a problem with it. If he truly believes that, I wont hold it against him. I wouldnt agree with the comment just like I didnt agree with Pierce's comment.

Thanks for your dishonesty.

Allanon
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't think the Truth is even a top 15 player, let alone #1 player. He IS a great player and I'd love to have him on the Lakers but there are quite a few guys in front of him in today's NBA.

But it's choice if he wants to run his mouth, it will be all the funnier when the Lakers put them down this year :D

bostonguy
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks for your dishonesty.

Dishonesty? :lmao
Because him saying that wouldnt bother me? :lmao
Comments like that can come from Kobe,Duncan,Sheed and I wouldnt take it seriously.

I understand your hatred for Pierce. Your Pistons have never beaten his team in the playoffs which makes it tougher to stand his arrogance and easier to hate the guy even more. The fact that he is on the team I root for is why it is so easy to stereotype me and to call me dishonest. Me being a Boston sports fan in general is another reason to stereotype me :lmao

As I said before, I know he isnt the best player in the league and I dont mind if people dont like him saying that. The only point I made is that as long he brings it every time he is on the court, anything he says doesnt bother me.

sook
10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
pierce was a guy i loved...haha i used him in the old NBA street every game, but i can't help but hate him more and more because of his stupid ego. The thing that really set me off was the stupid fake injury diring the finals

Amuseddaysleeper
10-22-2008, 10:06 PM
He won his championship, he gets the bragging rights.........for now.

TwAnKiEs
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
antonio pierce > paul pierce

Pierce Bronson > Paul Pierce

lefty
10-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Pierce Bronson > Paul Pierce

Charles Bronson > Pierce Bronson

Obstructed_View
10-22-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't think the Truth is even a top 15 player, let alone #1 player. He IS a great player and I'd love to have him on the Lakers but there are quite a few guys in front of him in today's NBA.

Wow, so you're dropping Kobe down to 16?

SenorSpur
10-22-2008, 11:48 PM
People may have a problem with what Pierce said. They may not feel as though he's even the best player on the Celtics. All I know, is that when the championship games were on the line and there were plays that needed to be made, Pierce was the one Celtic who continuously came up big. I can't hate on him for that - and for what he believes. He's been overlooked for a while. He's now a champion, so I can give him leeway to toot his horn a bit.