PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Mason More Interested In Where He's Heading

duncan228
10-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Spurs' Mason more interested in where he's heading (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Mason_more_interested_in_where_hes_heading.h tml)
Jeff McDonald

In a brief but meandering career that has taken him from Toronto to Chicago to Washington to San Antonio, Roger Mason Jr. has learned much about the game of basketball.

He has also been reminded of another game he's been playing since childhood.

“Guys play musical chairs all the time,” Mason said. “It's just part of the league.”

What Mason really means is musical teams and musical cities, and in a five-year NBA career, he has become adept at playing it.

That's why tonight's preseason game between Mason's new team, the Spurs, and his most recent former team, the Wizards, carries little nostalgia for him. At least six times a year, he is sure to look across the floor during the regular season and see a uniform he used to don.

“I've done it before,” said Mason, who signed a two-year deal with the Spurs in July. “When I was with Washington, I played against Chicago. When I was with Chicago, I played against Toronto. It's just part of the league.”

Mason spent the past two seasons with Washington, his hometown team. He enjoyed a career breakthrough last season, averaging 9.1 points after injuries to Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels resulted in increased playing time for him.

Yet Mason won't waste much time ruminating on any of that tonight. Tonight's preseason game at the AT&T Center will be like the previous five he's played in a Spurs jersey.

His aim is still to learn the Spurs' system, and earn his minutes.

The Spurs expect Mason to play a key role on the wing this season, especially with Manu Ginobili likely to miss the first month of the season recovering from ankle surgery.

“I'm still trying to get adjusted,” said Mason, a 6-foot-5 guard. “For me, it's another opportunity to get out there, and another opportunity to learn. I'm looking at it like that.

“I'm not really looking at it as (playing) my old team.”

The adjustments are coming one day at a time for Mason, not all of them relegated to the basketball court.

His move to San Antonio, in every way, is still a work in progress.

He's moved into a new house near Stone Oak, for instance, but still drives a car with Maryland plates.

Sometimes, he spends more time in that car than he cares to admit.

“I've been around (Loop) 1604 a few times,” Mason said. “I've done a few laps by accident.”

Mason's gas-guzzling excursions aside, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has been impressed with how quickly the 28-year-old has transitioned to a new environment.

“Roger's had a great training camp,” Popovich said. “He's been a big-time scorer in camp. He's learned the defense. He passes to the open man. Again, a great teammate.

“He's been outstanding, and we're thrilled we were able to bring him here.”

Still, Mason hasn't yet begun to reap one of the major benefits that caused him to sign with the Spurs in the first place: All the open looks sure to come with a Hall of Fame big man distracting defenses.

Tim Duncan has sat out two preseason games, and played less than 18 minutes in two others, so Mason's floor time with the All-Star forward has been minimal.

“Playing with the big fella makes a big difference,” said Mason, who has averaged 7.8 points in four preseason appearances. “It's a whole different ball game out there.”

With two preseason games to go, culminating with Friday's exhibition finale against Miami, look for Popovich to begin to play more of his regulars, giving them a chance to get acclimated with each other.

Starting with Mason.

“It's just a matter of giving (the veterans) the correct minutes so they're in good enough shape come game time,” Popovich said. “And that some of the new guys, who we think are going to get minutes, are on the court so they get used to the core players.”

Mason should see plenty of minutes tonight against a team he knows well. When he looks at his friends on the opposing bench, Mason won't be thinking so much of where he's been, but where he's ended up.

If life in the NBA is one big game of musical chairs, in San Antonio, Mason feels like he's already won.

“I've got a seat right now,” Mason said, “so I'm happy.”

Obstructed_View
10-22-2008, 02:24 AM
:lol Glad to know I'm not the only one who got lost in San Antonio before I figured my way around.

tp2021
10-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Roger's had a great training camp. He's been a big-time scorer in camp.
Mason... has averaged 7.8 points in four preseason appearances.

timvp
10-22-2008, 03:53 AM
^^ "camp" in that context means the practices.

“Roger's had a great training camp,” Popovich said. “He's been a big-time scorer in camp. He's learned the defense. He passes to the open man. Again, a great teammate.

“He's been outstanding, and we're thrilled we were able to bring him here.”Great news :tu

The Spurs really, really need Mason to be better than expected.

urunobili
10-22-2008, 04:29 AM
don't be cheap Mace... buy a GPS! :devil

Vorg
10-22-2008, 05:51 AM
I hope Mason can bring the energy off the bench while Manu is still out.

MoSpur
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a good feeling about this guy. I hope that feeling is correct.

deadratsam
10-22-2008, 09:29 AM
don't be cheap Mace... buy a GPS! :devil

I think according to one of his training camp diary videos, he said he does have some sort of navigating device in his car. Maybe he just didn't believe it.

ClingingMars
10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
i can't wait to see this guy play, Wahoowa!

-Mars

tp2021
10-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Where have you been all this time, Mars?

HarlemHeat37
10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
we just have to be patient..he still needs to learn the system, and he still needs to get accustomed to playing with Tim, Tony and Manu when he returns..Mason was extremely solid in replacing Gilbert last year, but we need patience..he's also a STREAKY shooter, so we're going to see some inconsistency from his shooting, just like we see with Manu, and especially with Finley..

Lebowski Brickowski
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Pop said he's learnED the defense? Wow -- good news.
I wonder if his time in training camp last year will help his learning curve of the system.

Darkwaters
10-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I wasn't really high on this signing when it happened. I thought it wasn't a bad signing, but not was I was hoping for. However, having watched this guy play a few times with the team I'm convinced that he'll be a contributor and will make us better.

Fermixalot
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Good to know that Mason is quickly learning the system, especially D. I hope he can be a big scoring punch through the season.

And who hasn't taken a few spins down 1604 (or 410) just for the fun of it?

Fingaroll44
10-22-2008, 11:01 AM
I wasn't really high on this signing when it happened. I thought it wasn't a bad signing, but not was I was hoping for. However, having watched this guy play a few times with the team I'm convinced that he'll be a contributor and will make us better.

I havent seen him play at all. I just trusted Pop & Co. when he said theyve had their eye on him, same goes w/ Hill. I AM glad to hear good things about him from someone that has actually seen him play w/ his new teammates.

Darkwaters
10-22-2008, 11:15 AM
I havent seen him play at all. I just trusted Pop & Co. when he said theyve had their eye on him, same goes w/ Hill. I AM glad to hear good things about him from someone that has actually seen him play w/ his new teammates.

He looks pretty good. He was sold to me as just a spot-up shooter type but he seems craftier with the ball than I think he received credit for. He has a decent handle on the game though and doesn't look bad handling the PG slot. If paired with a guy like Hill or Stoudamire he could definitely help in handling the PG duties. Or he might even come into play with Tony, allowing him to play off the ball more.

DPG21920
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I hope we finally have a guy who rips his old team a new one (Fin dog has done ok)

SenorSpur
10-22-2008, 11:40 AM

On the heels of the anticipated Corey Maggette signing, the Mason signing was kind of "first-glance" letdown. Especially to those of us who didn't know who the hell this kid was.

I've not seen the guy play either, but I like what I've heard. I figure if Pop and staff had their eye on him for a while, I can keep an open mind about him. I hope he exceeds expectations. Appreciate the "live-look" insight.

nfg3
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Dittos to all who think that Mason will be a contributor. I believe he will be, too. But time will tell. So far so good - being better at handling the rock and picking up on the system are +s. As Timvp has already stated as well as many others we will need for him to really contribute this season. Needs to plug Manu's hole until he comes back.

Obstructed_View
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
And who hasn't taken a few spins down 1604 (or 410) just for the fun of it?

When I lived there, the only things on 1604 were County Line barbecue, Sea World and that deserted mall where they were originally going to build Sea World. They started building Fiesta Texas before I left.

T Park
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I hope he hasn't driven allllllll the way around 1604 cause that's a long ass drive LOL

SenorSpur
10-22-2008, 01:08 PM
I hope he hasn't driven allllllll the way around 1604 cause that's a long ass drive LOL

Damn sure is. Used to make that drive around the loop when I was joyriding as a teenager. It's quite long.

Manufan909
10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
With his awesome ass ride, you'd think he'd have a working gps.

The Truth #6
10-22-2008, 01:34 PM
If he can shoot well and handle the ball well, expectations should be met.

His rebounding is almost non-existent from what I read. Hopefully someone else on the wing can contribute in that regard.

tav1
10-22-2008, 02:22 PM
^^ "camp" in that context means the practices.

Great news :tu

The Spurs really, really need Mason to be better than expected.

Popovich is something of a straight shooter, and not prone to Phil Jackson-esque head games. But occasionally, you can catch him in subliminal ploys. 2008's camp has seen the words "score," "scorer" or "scoring" cross his lips quite a bit. It's not head game, but he is trying to set a mood and make his shooters comfortable letting it fly. For a variety of reason, I think this will be the highest scoring team of the Popovich era. That's my big prediction, at least.

SequSpur
10-22-2008, 10:17 PM
How long do you guys last when you're looking at an adult video? you probably can't make it through the title page...

Mason ain't doin shit.

wisnub
10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
We hope this guy score.....he averaged 7.8 points in four preaseason appearances. And now we expect him to be a big time scorer??? He talks as if he is the savior but he didnt prove shit. Might as well ask Dalai Lama for enlightment

HarlemHeat37
10-23-2008, 12:04 AM
he played in the preseason without getting used to the system, or without playing consistent minutes with the big 3, or even in general..

Mason is a ROLE PLAYER..he's not a star, and he isn't getting paid like a star..there isn't anybody that should expect him to be a star, which is the problem a lot of Spurs fans have with our acquisitions..

he said it himself..he hasn't got a chance to play consistent minutes with Tim, which is gonna help his game out a lot this year..