PDA

View Full Version : Palin's $150K Clothing Allowance

Supergirl
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

You know, if you're going to paint yourself as an everyday soccer mom, you have to pay to look the part. LOL.

DarrinS
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
The Obama's are dirt-poor.

FernandoLamas
10-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Remember, it is better to look good, than to feel good and I must say...Sarah....you look mahvelous!!

Supergirl
10-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Obama's not going around trying to pretend he's not obscenely wealthy like Palin is. All politicians are wealthy. Some of them pretend otherwise.

TheProfessor
10-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Except that this wasn't Palin's money; it was the Republican National Committee's. Like the Edwards' $400 haircut thing - if it had been his own money, whatever; but they put it on the campaign's tab.

JoeChalupa
10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, I do like her taste in scarfs. :lmao

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/palindonkeys.jpg

10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Well, I do like her taste in scarfs. :lmao

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/clintsquint/palindonkeys.jpg

:lol

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Did that include shoes? Because if that includes shoes, I find this number to be perfectly reasonable.

AntiChrist
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I spend 33 times this amount every day.

G.Q.
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
The girl can work it!!

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/460/slide_460_11031_large.jpg
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/460/slide_460_11032_large.jpg

and an outfit is not complete without the shoes!

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/460/slide_460_11035_large.jpg

and what kid would be caught dead without a Louis Vuitton bag!!

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/460/slide_460_11037_large.jpg

JoeChalupa
10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Well, Sarah....you didn't win anything but here are some great parting gifts.

cheguevara
10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
well, you can't fool Joe Six Pack with a fake Louis Vitton

spursfan09
10-22-2008, 03:03 PM
damn I wanna run for VP now. I'll go with either party.

TheMadHatter
10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
Those damn liberal elitists and their $150k clothing allowances.......oh wait.

boutons_
10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
"Revelation of the Republican National Committee (RNC) spending $150,000 to clothe vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin augurs tax troubles for both. The principal tax issue is whether the clothing constitutes a deductible business expense or a personal consumption benefit. As a deductible business expense, the clothing would not affect Ms. Palin's taxable income. However, if the clothing is a nondeductible personal consumption benefit, her taxable income increases by the $150,000 spent.

Unluckily for Ms. Palin, the clothing appears to constitute nondeductible personal consumption. Clothing is a deductible business expense only if two separate requirements are both satisfied. First, the clothing must be required at work. Second, the clothing must not be usable for ordinary wear. Thus, if clothing is usable for ordinary wear, it is not a deductible business expense, even if also required for work."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-b-cohen/palins-new-clothes-augur_b_137057.html

dg7md
10-22-2008, 09:17 PM

You are completely missing the point. The thing is, she has an image she tries to portray of being a "soccer mom who represents the everyday woman and mom".

CubanMustGo
10-22-2008, 09:43 PM
But Sarah is one of us! She knows personally how the middle class struggles!

ratm1221
10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I voted for Obama because I think Palin is the Anti-Christ. She has this strong power over people even though nothing that she says makes any sense. Another red flag for me is the fact that she says she a Christian. Any red flags going off for anyone else here?

I feel sorry for all of you that have already voted for the Anti-Christ. Your souls are surely doomed to hell for all of eternity for damning us all.

boutons_
10-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Physically, very good looking woman, excellent proportions. Unlike most American women, she's not fat.

Morally, ethically, intellectually, a ditzy sack of crap

sook
10-22-2008, 10:07 PM
what bugs me is that bitch actually had the nerve to say that she and her husband have lived in the middle class like everyone else. Bullshit...this bitch needs to shove it

sook
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
But Sarah is one of us! She knows personally how the middle class struggles!

exactly what i said

Cry Havoc
10-23-2008, 12:06 AM

And McCain ripped Obama repeatedly for requesting a $3,000,000 projector in Chicago for a museum that the entire public could benefit from.

Not saying we don't enjoy watching Ms. Palin run around in her little designer outfits, but the hypocrisy here is just unending from the republican campaign.

TheMadHatter
10-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Hypocrisy doesn't even accurately define the McCain campaign anymore.

dav4463
10-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I voted for Obama because I think Palin is the Anti-Christ. She has this strong power over people even though nothing that she says makes any sense. Another red flag for me is the fact that she says she a Christian. Any red flags going off for anyone else here?

I feel sorry for all of you that have already voted for the Anti-Christ. Your souls are surely doomed to hell for all of eternity for damning us all.

funny, I voted for McCain/Palin because I think Obama is the Anti-Christ. He has this strong power over people even though nothing that he says makes any sense. Another red flag for me is the fact that his name is Muslim, but he says he's a Christian. He made Oprah cry after his rally like she just saw Jesus and did it with with nothing but his words.(now that's power!) Any red flags going off for anyone else here?

Tully365
10-23-2008, 01:21 AM
funny, I voted for McCain/Palin because I think Obama is the Anti-Christ. He has this strong power over people even though nothing that he says makes any sense. Another red flag for me is the fact that his name is Muslim, but he says he's a Christian. He made Oprah cry after his rally like she just saw Jesus and did it with with nothing but his words.(now that's power!) Any red flags going off for anyone else here?

Making Oprah cry doesn't raise red flags for me. She's emotional. What does that have to do with an anti-christ?

And everyone in the bible has middle-eastern names which have been transliterated. Even Yahshua (Hebrew), Iesous (Greek), Iesus (Latin), or the name you know him by-- Jesus. Would you criticize Obama if his middle name was Yahshua, which sounds exotic and foreign to our ears?

Cry Havoc
10-23-2008, 02:45 AM

Yep. Big red flag. Starts with the letters d-a-v.

dav4463
10-23-2008, 04:48 AM
Obama's speech at the Dem convention looked like a Nazi rally. People were crying hoping for a glimpse at the new Messiah. People were mesmerized. Obama could've told them to do anything he wanted and they would follow. Just like Jim Jones.....drink the Kool-Aid. I am your master.

Ya Vez
10-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Maybe they are trying to catch up to Joe the Senator...

Biden routes campaign cash to family, their firms
Discloses $2 million in business arrangements
Jim McElhatton (Contact)
Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Democratic vice-presidential candidate Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr. has paid more than $2 million in campaign cash to his family members, their businesses and employers over the years, a practice that watchdogs criticize as rife with potential conflicts of interest.

Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr.'s son, Hunter Biden, was at a campaign stop with his father in December. The candidate's sister, Valerie Biden Owens, is his longtime campaign manager.

The money largely flowed from the coffers of Mr. Biden's failed presidential campaign during the past two years to a company that employs his sister and longtime campaign manager, Valerie Biden Owens, according to campaign disclosure filings.

The senator from Delaware also directed campaign legal work to a Washington lobbying and law firm founded by his son R. Hunter Biden, the disclosures show.

Putting family members and their companies on the political payroll is legal if the work is legitimate and charged at market rates, according to the Federal Election Commission. Still, public watchdog groups have long criticized such arrangements.

DWest30
10-23-2008, 06:31 AM
Yep. Big red flag. Starts with the letters d-a-v.

Disabled American Veterans?

JoeChalupa
10-23-2008, 08:47 AM
You gotta admit though.....she looks good.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Maybe they are trying to catch up to Joe the Senator...

Biden was making payroll and writing expense checks for people that work for a living that just happen to be related to him; Palin was getting designer labels while claiming to be an average gal.

[insert Latin term for illogical fallacy here]

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Just want to point out, that Miss Hockey mom just spent 3 years of Joe the Plumbers wages on clothes.

DD

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
You people's obsession with this woman is laughable.

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Yeah, she is only running for VP of the United States, who really cares, right?

I mean her running mate is only a 72 year old 3 time cancer survivor.....what is the point?

Oh yeah, it IS important to this country...that is the point.

DD

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, she is only running for VP of the United States, who really cares, right?

I mean her running mate is only a 72 year old 3 time cancer survivor.....what is the point?

Oh yeah, it IS important to this country...that is the point.

DD

What she spends on clothes is important to this country, but Obama's association with a former terrorist or his association with ACORN is not?

C'mon...it wasn't taxpayer money, and the only people who have a right to be pissed are those who donated, which I'm gonna guess you're not part of.

ratm1221
10-23-2008, 09:12 AM
What she spends on clothes is important to this country, but Obama's association with a former terrorist or his association with ACORN is not?

C'mon...it wasn't taxpayer money, and the only people who have a right to be pissed are those who donated, which I'm gonna guess you're not part of.

Here we go... You are one of the few that still buy the Bill Ayers crap.

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Here we go... You are one of the few that still buy the Bill Ayers crap.

It's not about whether I buy it or not. If these associations (troublesome or not) do not warrant discussion, then why does Sarah Palin's wardrobe?

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
It's not about whether I buy it or not. If these associations (troublesome or not) do not warrant discussion, then why does Sarah Palin's wardrobe?

Are you serious? Obama was on a school baord with Ayers.......A SCHOOL BOARD !!!!!

I find the lack of education about this matter appalling...people swallow things hook line and sinker without actually doing the research.

As soon as I heard about Ayers, of course I was concerned, until I ACTUALLY LOOKED IT UP....instead of spouting an ignorant party line.

Do yourself a favor, RESEARCH before you post.

As for Palin's clothing......it tells the public that Ms. Hockey mom who shops at Walmart is a lying sack of crap....that they are proping her up and that she is not what she claims to be.

Unless she is claiming she is a tax cheat, who charges her kids travel and expenses back to the Alaskan people....

DD

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Are you serious? Obama was on a school baord with Ayers.......A SCHOOL BOARD !!!!!

I find the lack of education about this matter appalling...people swallow things hook line and sinker without actually doing the research.

As soon as I heard about Ayers, of course I was concerned, until I ACTUALLY LOOKED IT UP....instead of spouting an ignorant party line.

Do yourself a favor, RESEARCH before you post.

DD

Do you self a favor, and read before you respond. I'm not here trying to argue any issues relating to Ayers and Obama. This is a thread about Sarah Palin's wardrobe. Seriously...Palin's wardrobe. I mentioned Ayers because as easily as you dismissed and moved on from that, is as easily as you should dismiss and move on from things like Sarah Palin's wardrobe.

JoeChalupa
10-23-2008, 09:25 AM

STFU!!,
Sincerely,
Whottt

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Do you self a favor, and read before you respond. I'm not here trying to argue any issues relating to Ayers and Obama. This is a thread about Sarah Palin's wardrobe. Seriously...Palin's wardrobe. I mentioned Ayers because as easily as you dismissed and moved on from that, is as easily as you should dismiss and move on from things like Sarah Palin's wardrobe.

Yeah, whatever, you tried to equate it to Ayers pal.........now that your straw man has been blown through the back of your noggin you are trying to say...but..but..but.....I didn't really mean it.....I was...uh..uh......the VP's job is to preside over the Senate......

;)

Ok, here is why Palin's wardrobe is an issue, because she PRETENDS to be a woman of the people....meanwhile the RNC spends 150k on her wardrobe ....to prop her up as Caribou Barbie.....

This is an issue because people think she relates to them, when in reality, not very many of THEM are going to spend 150k on a wardrobe.....

It shows the hypocrisy of Palin.....she was picked to cater to the Evangelical crowd...it worked.

Thank GOD the rest of the country can see through that charade and that she is about the worst thing that could happen to this country if she were to come in power.

We are done with the "Drink a beer with them" Presidents.....we need intelligent thoughtful people in that spot to make the right decisions.

Otherwise...Joe SixPack will continue to run this country into the ground, because well....frankly....Joe Six pack is stupid.

DD

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, whatever, you tried to equate it to Ayers pal.........now that your straw man has been blown through the back of your noggin you are trying to say...but..but..but.....I didn't really mean it.....I was...uh..uh......the VP's job is to preside over the Senate......

;)

If that's what you comprehended from what you read, then I guess I there's not much else I can say to you about it.

Ok, here is why Palin's wardrobe is an issue, because she PRETENDS to be a woman of the people....meanwhile the RNC spends 150k on her wardrobe ....to prop her up as Caribou Barbie.....

This is an issue because people think she relates to them, when in reality, not very many of THEM are going to spend 150k on a wardrobe.....

It shows the hypocrisy of Palin.....she was picked to cater to the Evangelical crowd...it worked.

Thank GOD the rest of the country can see through that charade and that she is about the worst thing that could happen to this country if she were to come in power.

We are done with the "Drink a beer with them" Presidents.....we need intelligent thoughtful people in that spot to make the right decisions.

Otherwise...Joe SixPack will continue to run this country into the ground, because well....frankly....Joe Six pack is stupid.

DD

So, really it's only Palin who lives extravagantly (even though it wasn't her money that was spent) while pretending to be one of us? C'mon...let's talk about what EVERY candidate makes/has in the bank/spends and see if they relate to real people with real issues also. They don't. I know the McCains and Palins are loaded...but so is Biden, so is Obama. But...since this is PALIN, you're gonna jump all over it and ride it to the ground.

JoeChalupa
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Palin brought this upon herself with her "hockey mom" and "joe six-pack" comparisons. She'll learn though...she'll learn.

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
So, really it's only Palin who lives extravagantly (even though it wasn't her money that was spent) while pretending to be one of us? C'mon...let's talk about what EVERY candidate makes/has in the bank/spends and see if they relate to real people with real issues also. They don't. I know the McCains and Palins are loaded...but so is Biden, so is Obama. But...since this is PALIN, you're gonna jump all over it and ride it to the ground.

None of the other candidates are saying they are just like the majority of Americans....with the exception of Biden, who actually IS more like the majority of Americans than the Palins...ie...makes less money.

Palin is a farce....and she is being exposed as a farce......she wanted to be at the $1000 table, well....you can't whine when you sit down and get your money taken......

She is a joke as a candidate and America knows it......

She is possibly the worst VP candidate in the history of this country......way worse than even Quayle......

It is not that she is stupid.....she isn't, but she is ignorant of the issues, and at a time when this country needs someone that can actually help...she is vastly underqualified, and her unwillingness to blink is flat out scary....

We need someone that is willing to BLINK and THINK......

DD

TheMadHatter
10-23-2008, 09:48 AM
If that's what you comprehended from what you read, then I guess I there's not much else I can say to you about it.

If you can't comprehend the hypocrisy of the RNC and their two candidates then you really shouldn't post in this thread.

If Palin and McCain and even the RNC didn't run around saying they are anti-elitist and anti-intellectual regular joe 6-pack folk nobody would care.

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:52 AM
None of the other candidates are saying they are just like the majority of Americans....with the exception of Biden, who actually IS more like the majority of Americans than the Palins...ie...makes less money.

Palin is a farce....and she is being exposed as a farce......she wanted to be at the $1000 table, well....you can't whine when you sit down and get your money taken......

She is a joke as a candidate and America knows it......

She is possibly the worst VP candidate in the history of this country......way worse than even Quayle......

It is not that she is stupid.....she isn't, but she is ignorant of the issues, and at a time when this country needs someone that can actually help...she is vastly underqualified, and her unwillingness to blink is flat out scary....

We need someone that is willing to BLINK and THINK......

DD

Biden is more like me, considering he gives about $370 to charity each year.

As far as income is concerned, the Bidens reported about $320000 last year, while the Palins reported $170000.

JoeChalupa
10-23-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm actually more like joe the plumber.

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm actually more like joe the plumber.

Or Joe the Chalupa.

only1wwff
Well...ya know...when most of your wardrobe is all bloodied from gutting shit you killed, you need a few bucks for new clothes so you can look pretty babbling about mindless crap on TV for the lower 48.

ashbeeigh
I wish I had a clothing allowance like that. All I have is a $500 limit at Old Navy. :lol

She's ridiculous.

Carry on....

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Biden is more like me, considering he gives about $370 to charity each year.

As far as income is concerned, the Bidens reported about $320000 last year, while the Palins reported $170000.

Yes, which puts them both in the top 5% of earners in this country....

That is exactly the point, they are NOT like Joe Six Pack....so stop pretending to be.

DD

JoeChalupa
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Or Joe the Chalupa.

:lmao

I Love Me Some Me
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, which puts them both in the top 5% of earners in this country....

That is exactly the point, they are NOT like Joe Six Pack....so stop pretending to be.

DD

Obama says she's middle class.

AntiChrist
10-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm glad the media isn't saying a thing about my trip to Hawaii to see my ailing grandmother.

It's not exactly cheap to fire up the jet and bring my entourage of campaign workers and secret service agents.

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Obama has repeatedly said he is lucky, watch his talk with Joe the Plant....errr....Plumber.....

DD

AntiChrist
10-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Obama has repeatedly said he is lucky, watch his talk with Joe the Plant....errr....Plumber.....

DD

No need to contantly sign your posts, DD. We can all look to the left and see for ourselves.

I know who you are. Thanks for your support.

DaDakota
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
No need to contantly sign your posts, DD. We can all look to the left and see for ourselves.

I know who you are. Thanks for your support.

Uh, that is what I do.....you can go ahead and edit your posts as you see fit though, I promise not to tell you how to post.

:D

DD

LakeShow
10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
What a bunch of crap. It's unbelievable that they would spend so much for clothing. Just another example of wreckless spending by the repubs. You can't tell me that a woman running for the second highest position in the US, drawing thousands of voters, could not get someone to donate those clothes to her just for the free advertising that it would generate for their company. Hell i used to work in a men's clothing store that would ask me to wear their clothes just for advertising. This obviously is another example of someone at the top padding their own pockets.

Hillary Designer: Palin Spending Strange
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/22/cbsnews_investigates/main4539410.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

“Why do you need to pay for it?” Forest told CBS News from her boutique Susanna Beverly Hills (http://www.susannabh.com/) saying that most designers would offer to clothe a candidate for free. “It’s an honor, you are going to design for someone who could be the president of the United States,” noting that the exposure any designer would get from dressing someone as famous as Clinton or Palin would be worth much more.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
“Why do you need to pay for it?” Forest told CBS News from her boutique Susanna Beverly Hills (http://www.susannabh.com/) saying that most designers would offer to clothe a candidate for free. “It’s an honor, you are going to design for someone who could be the president of the United States,” noting that the exposure any designer would get from dressing someone as famous as Clinton or Palin would be worth much more.

Accepting gifts as a political candidate is extremely tricky and can get you into all sorts of trouble. The tax issue raised by many is interesting, because she *might* have to report them as income. More likely, the RNC will claim ownership of the clothing and consider it "on loan" to Palin until such time as the clothing can be donated to charity (for a write-off) or "sold" to Palin at a much-reduced cost.

In all seriousness it isn't that much money. $150k is actually not that much for the necessary wardrobe of a major public figure from a public relations standpoint, especially considering the fact that her previous wardrobe was likely crap. She has to have an outfit for every community appearance, every formal event, every different climate she campaigns in. She's not going to disappear from RNC events after Nov 4th no matter how the election plays out.

But it is worth examining why a woman who spends so much time and energy being "awww shucks, I'm just a hometown gal" would so eagerly embrace the Evita treatment.

And, for the record, the Ayers discussion was worth having and was important. I don't think any reasonable person has a problem with the question being raised and discussed. What people have an issue with is the leap from "let's examine his civil interaction with a possible unsavory person" to "this guy pals around with terrorists."

LakeShow
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Accepting gifts as a political candidate is extremely tricky and can get you into all sorts of trouble. The tax issue raised by many is interesting, because she *might* have to report them as income. More likely, the RNC will claim ownership of the clothing and consider it "on loan" to Palin until such time as the clothing can be donated to charity (for a write-off) or "sold" to Palin at a much-reduced cost.

In all seriousness it isn't that much money. $150k is actually not that much for the necessary wardrobe of a major public figure from a public relations standpoint, especially considering the fact that her previous wardrobe was likely crap. She has to have an outfit for every community appearance, every formal event, every different climate she campaigns in. She's not going to disappear from RNC events after Nov 4th no matter how the election plays out.

But it is worth examining why a woman who spends so much time and energy being "awww shucks, I'm just a hometown gal" would so eagerly embrace the Evita treatment.

And, for the record, the Ayers discussion was worth having and was important. I don't think any reasonable person has a problem with the question being raised and discussed. What people have an issue with is the leap from "let's examine his civil interaction with a possible unsavory person" to "this guy pals around with terrorists."

Ok, I claim to be no expert but can you not donate anything other than cash to the campaigns?

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Ok, I claim to be no expert but can you not donate anything other than cash to the campaigns?

You can donate clothes to any charity.

But no matter what you donate to any charity, a monetary value must be placed on it and the intentions of the donation matter. I'm not versed enough to know one way or the other if a designer could donate clothes to the RNC that were intended for Palin. I would assume so, but it would likely be messy to coordinate. Having your aides call around begging different designers for donations would take up a lot of time and generate possible media repercussions. Taking the company credit card to the mall is, if nothing else, a time-saver. Especially in the crunch time of an election.

sook
10-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I love me somtime...ok dude you just got owned by DD the last page, everytime you get proven wrong you try to change the subject. If she earns 170 K a yr don't you think she would have a problem with spending just that much on her clothing?

I mean your everyday american spends that much on it right? Isn't that how she caught you in her trap? Telling everyone how she's in the middle class and we all know its bullshit , fuck that bitch i can't stand liars at all, thats the one thing i hate.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 12:57 AM
McCain's Oct. 1-15 filing showed that the campaign paid $22,800 to Palin's traveling stylist, Amy Strozzi, an acclaimed celebrity makeup artist. In contrast, McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, was paid $12,500, the report showed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081024/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_money;_ylt=AqIihiCe2vkT1o2X5zNkWQNv24cA

It's all about priorities.

Cry Havoc
10-24-2008, 01:44 AM
McCain's Oct. 1-15 filing showed that the campaign paid $22,800 to Palin's traveling stylist, Amy Strozzi, an acclaimed celebrity makeup artist. In contrast, McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, was paid $12,500, the report showed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081024/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_money;_ylt=AqIihiCe2vkT1o2X5zNkWQNv24cA

It's all about priorities.

:bang

I'm so pissed at the republican party. What a mockery of themselves they have become.