PDA

View Full Version : Tech contest winner may kick vs. Kansas

j-6
10-22-2008, 01:54 PM
I may rag Tech pretty often, but who else but Mike Leach would recruit a guy in-game? Great story. Video of contest kick: http://everythinglubbock.com/media_player.php?media_id=29181

=================================================

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=866497

Texas Tech's situation at place-kicker has evolved from a concern to a source of frustration. Now, it seems as if it has taken an unexpected, crazy twist.

Having already gone through two kickers - who have combined to miss six PATs and half of their field-goal attempts - the sixth-ranked Red Raiders are now seriously considering giving Matt Williams a shot against No. 18 Kansas this weekend.

Coach Mike Leach was noticeably frustrated about the kicking game at his weekly news conference.

Williams is a Tarleton State transfer student who won a month of free rent at the Tech/UMass game several weeks ago by kicking a 30-yard field goal. After his successful try, Williams was walking back to his seat when he was flagged down.

"They relayed a message to me saying that Coach [Mike] Leach wanted to talk to me," Williams told RedRaiderSports.com the next day. "He told me to come into his office on Tuesday and talk to him, and then Coach [Clay] McGuire told me to come and speak with him on Monday."

Initially, it was thought that Williams was ineligible this season due to transfer rules. However, according to McGuire - who heads up the Red Raiders' special teams unit, Williams has been cleared to play.

"That is the way I understand it, yeah," confirmed McGuire on Tuesday. "He's got a real good shot. Only Mike Leach could bring a guy out of the stands and make it work."

This wouldn't be the first time that Tech has relied on a non-scholarship kicker, although not quite under such unconventional circumstances.

"We have a tradition of walk-on kickers rising to the top," commented Leach after the UMass game. "[Robert] Treece and [Alex] Trlica both were walk-on kickers that eventually ended up getting to play significantly. We're always looking for guys. We're excited to see what [Williams]'s got to offer if he's interested."

What Williams offers, compared to Donnie Carona and Cory Fowler, is something that is absolutely necessary for PATs: trajectory.

"I've seen that guy try one kick," added Leach. "But the difference between his and the others is that they barely got off the ground. His got up right away."

johngateswhiteley
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
that is cool. whats not cool is the fat chick in a tub of cheetos...

cash459
10-23-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm all for it.

It's not like their kicking game can get much worse than it already is. :bang

FromWayDowntown
10-23-2008, 04:28 PM
It would help if their offensive line wasn't a sieve on kicks. They gave up way too much penetration to the Aggies on extra points last week; shore up the blocking and the kicker becomes less of an issue, I think.

cash459
10-23-2008, 06:31 PM
It would help if their offensive line wasn't a sieve on kicks. They gave up way too much penetration to the Aggies on extra points last week; shore up the blocking and the kicker becomes less of an issue, I think.

Leach was specific in the interview, saying that trajectory has been and is an issue with the two original kickers. not the o-line. He said this new guy gets the ball in the air sooner.

only time will tell, but like i said, it cant get any worse than it has been the last 2 games.