PDA

View Full Version : Desmond Farmer Needs Significant Minutes This Season

bgoines
10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Desmon Farmers performance night after night solitifies my original blog regarding him being a perfect addition to the spurs line up. He's been shooting 66% from the 3 point line in the last two games and that after leading the spurs to a victory over the pistons. I think the world will know who DES is after the seasons over!

MoSpur
10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
If the Spurs want someone to just stand there and shoot from the outside, Farmer is your man. I give him that.

Darkwaters
10-23-2008, 09:35 AM
If he made the team, was able to be on the active list, and then played big minutes we'd probably be hurting from more than just a Ginobili injury. I think if he proves to be productive you might try to get him minutes during droughts. But 10MPG is probably his absolute max in non-blowout games.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 10:14 AM
As scintillating as Farmer has been during this preseason, is there anyone who believes his offensive contributions are comparable to that of Mason? Also, if he's is indeed 6'5", that means he is the same size as Mason and is a definite 2-guard only, which again makes me think he's Mason 2.0.

Once Ginobili returns, would he even garner that much PT? Especially with Mason either starting or coming off the bench. Which, if all this is true, having him would make for a redundant roster spot.

Am I onto something here? Or am I off base on this one?

benefactor
10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
As scintillating as Farmer has been during this preseason, is there anyone who believes his offensive contributions are comparable to that of Mason? Also, if he's is indeed 6'5", that means he is the same size as Mason and is a definite 2-guard only, which again makes me think he's Mason 2.0.

Once Ginobili returns, would he even garner that much PT? Especially with Mason either starting or coming off the bench. Which, if all this is true, having him would make for a redundant roster spot.

Not to mention that Mason hustles better and plays better defense.

Farmer definitely has a edge to him, but he has other skills that need to be refined before he even gets close to getting significant minutes. He needs to improve his hustle, defense and he needs to move better without the ball. There are many times he passes off and just stands there. He could develop into a solid bench player under our vets, but right now he is pretty rough around the edges. Looking at both of them right now, I think Hairston is a better all around player, could contribute more and would fit better into our system.

urunobili
10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
iLike the kid to make it... but with Manu back he'd have to play the 3 to get more playing time...

tav1
10-23-2008, 10:56 AM

Mason can't score like Farmer. Farmer doesn't have a fully-rounded game like Mace. Different players.

Even with Ginobili's return, the Spurs' offense sometimes goes dry. A guy like Farmer on the bench is a big help.

HarlemHeat37
10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
actually, that's what Mason was known for last year with the Wizards..he was known to be a streaky shooter that didn't miss when he was on..he hasn't shown it yet, but I expect him to once he's used to the system..

Whisky Dog
10-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Farmer has shown flashes of being a guy who can hit big shots and bring an edge and spark offensively to this team in a bench role. All things that were sorely needed in last season's playoff. Definitely worth using your 15th spot to see if that kind of player solidifies.

I dont get the Hairston love. He's good but I think people overrate his potential. He's offensively challenged, and the Spurs have enough of those guys clogging the SF spot.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Farmer has shown flashes of being a guy who can hit big shots and bring an edge and spark offensively to this team in a bench role. All things that were sorely needed in last season's playoff. Definitely worth using your 15th spot to see if that kind of player solidifies.

I dont get the Hairston love. He's good but I think people overrate his potential. He's offensively challenged, and the Spurs have enough of those guys clogging the SF spot.

Not true. This guy was a proven scorer in college. There's a reason he went in the 2nd round. It may take him 1-2 years to fully develop. The encouraging thing is he's already miles ahead of where he was during the summer. Besides, Hairston has better all-around ability than Farmer and a higher ceiling. I'm afraid Farmer, as good of a scorer as he is now, doesn't have the potential to grow his game further than where it is now.

Whisky Dog
10-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Proven scorer in college holds no water in the NBA. He hasn't shown that in camp, and I think is a worse fit for what the Spurs really need to win now. They locked up the Lakers point wise through 5 games better than Boston did, but the Spurs lacked the offense and clutch shooting to get it done. Farmer has a better chance to give you that than Hairston, and that's what they need now.

Darkwaters
10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Desmon Farmer!

hater
10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
damn we have a lot of injured players

ElNono
10-23-2008, 01:06 PM
He might need them, but I doubt he'll get them. I only see him playing significantly in the case where we have 2 SG injured at the same time. Realistically, I think that if Mason/Fin/Ginobili are healthy, Farmer will be sent to the Toros.
That is, obviously, if he makes the team at all.

The Truth #6
10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
I agree that Hairston has a better all around game and BBIQ. However, I can't see Hairston ever having Farmer's cutthroat scorer's mentality. Because of that, I wouldn't agree that Hairston automatically has a higher ceiling. Farmer, potentially, could improve his defense and attitude through playing with the Spurs. In fact, his offense could improve more if he learns to operate in the offense better. Farmer's attitude was always what supposedly was holding him back. With age and veteran leadership it's possible that can be improved. No guarantee, but possible.

Hairston would have been more helpful a few years ago when our immediate needs weren't as pressing. As our players continue to age I don't see how that situation will reverse. We'll still need scoring once Manu comes back and even more so the next year with Finley on the team for one more year.

The safe choice is Hairston so I'm expecting it to be Hairston.

galvatron3000
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Spurs really shouldn't go the safe route, take that cutthroat guy, that's a dimension to the Spurs that's lacking (other than Parker & Manu. Pick up Farmer, send him to the D League, call him up when there's an injury. You get to watch him develop in your system with the Toros for a full year. That's a gamble worth taking.

You could keep both and cut Tolliver and keep Bonner and that will end the wing search for a bit but you'll be looking for some big for years to come but we'll be doing that with or without Tolliver, hopefully Ian will be a beast next to Tim

Flux451
10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
What if MASON doens't work out like we need him?
Farmer is a sure scorer.

During the dry spell in the winter and the playoff wasn't EVERYONE complaining about how our offense needed help?

Farmer 08!

Flux451
10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Spurs really shouldn't go the safe route, take that cutthroat guy, that's a dimension to the Spurs that's lacking (other than Parker & Manu.

I agree, not with the D-League thang though. Let him ride the bench and collect at garbage time. THen when we really struggle bring him on.

We all know very well FINELY is going to have nights off.

Sounds like FARMER is could be an upgrade from Finely.

galvatron3000
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I agree, not with the D-League thang though. Let him ride the bench and collect at garbage time. THen when we really struggle bring him on.

We all know very well FINELY is going to have nights off.

Sounds like FARMER is could be an upgrade from Finely.

I think it would be better for him to be playing in the system(TOROS) and getting court time than riding the pine waiting on an injury, especially after Manu returns. He can get familiar with the defensive schemes and offense while waiting on Finely to be gone in '09.

exstatic
10-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Neither of the last two players to make the roster in spots 14 and 15 is going to see ANY fucking time this year. That's why they are #14 and #15 players.[/thread]

Obstructed_View
10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Neither of the last two players to make the roster in spots 14 and 15 is going to see ANY fucking time this year. That's why they are #14 and #15 players.[/thread]

Just because they are the last two players to make the roster doesn't mean they are going to be 14 and 15. Manu's firmly at 15 for the next six weeks at least.

galvatron3000
10-23-2008, 06:42 PM

Agreed, but that's the luxury of having a D league in today's NBA. Spurs have the Toros running the same system and you can gauge the development of your prospect better that way.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
10-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Shit Farmer Is A Bad Man!!!!