PDA

View Full Version : Mighty dunks say it loud and wow: Oden is ready!

tlongII
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/mighty_dunks_say_it_loud_and_w.html

LOS ANGELES -- Brandon Roy smiled Wednesday night because the rest of the NBA could finally see what he and his teammates have been witnessing for the past month: Greg Oden playing a dominant role for the Trail Blazers.
In his best performance of the preseason, Oden displayed power, touch and intimidation during a 12-point, 13-rebound performance that helped the Blazers beat the Los Angeles Clippers 87-75 at the Staples Center in their penultimate exhibition game.

"What he's showing you -- we've seen it," Roy said. "He's just starting to do it in games. He's just getting more comfortable out there. He even cracked a couple smiles when I was out there joking with him. And then, I was like, 'Yeaaaaah, Greg's back.' He's slowly coming into his own."

Oden actually should have been credited with 14 points, but the official scorers incorrectly credited Roy with a basket after Oden tipped in his own miss. Oden's night included a right-handed jump hook, a left-handed jump hook and four dunks -- two of them in a powerful, lunging style. He also directly changed at least three interior shots by the Clippers.

"I'm more comfortable out there," Oden said. "I think my wind is coming a little bit, and that's the biggest thing because I can run and set up and be able to move quicker. That's going to help."

The Blazers (4-2) conclude their exhibition season tonight in Utah, and coach Nate McMillan said he hasn't decided if he will play Oden. If he does, it will be for limited minutes. So there's a chance the next time Oden will see the court, it will be Tuesday in this same arena against Andrew Bynum and the Lakers.

Oden said his game is much more prepared for the regular season compared to when the preseason started.

"That first (exhibition) game, I was just going and trying to dunk, but now I feel more comfortable," Oden said. "I still have things to learn. I have to learn how Brandon and LaMarcus (Aldridge) play, and then be able to play off of them. But I'm learning each game and practice."

With Oden coming into his comfort zone, the only remaining question mark for the Blazers before opening night is who McMillan will start at small forward -- rookie Nicolas Batum, rookie Rudy Fernandez or sixth year player Travis Outlaw.

After Monday's game, during which none of the three small forwards asserted themselves, McMillan was coy in revealing which way he was leaning.

"I have until Tuesday to decide that," McMillan said. "I do. I have until Tuesday."

If one thing appears certain, it's that McMillan has eliminated the possibility of Fernandez starting. That move would require Roy to slide from shooting guard to small forward, which McMillan fears makes the Blazers too small.

That leaves Batum and Outlaw to vie for the position. Batum plays better defense, but Outlaw has experience. And starting Batum would allow McMillan to keep intact what he feels can be a special second unit of Sergio Rodriguez, Fernandez, Outlaw, Channing Frye and Joel Przybilla.

"Right now, I think we will look at Nicolas, but we will talk about all of that," McMillan said. "Do we give Travis a try? Or do we give Nicolas a try early and see what happens."

Roy said Monday that he wants Batum to start on opening night because he likes the makeup of the second unit, and because he feels Batum can handle it. On Monday, Batum started and found himself in early foul trouble. But by the end of the game, he was playing in control and moving the ball around while recording a blocked shot on a perimeter attempt by forward Paul Davis.

Roy said he counseled Batum early in the game, telling him to relax.

Afterward, in the locker room, Roy nudged Batum.

"Hey Nic! Relax, right? Remember? Relax?" Roy said.

Batum nodded.

"But good job, boy," Roy said before turning back to the interview. "I like him at the three. It keeps me at my natural position and keeps Rudy and Travis with that second unit. I think that's our best team."

tlongII
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8a/fullj.9d416fb256adef53d582996e67b6e950/9d416fb256adef53d582996e67b6e950-getty-83027667ab001_blazers_clips.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/2b/fullj.7e56407af92ab661f045617a5bf25c0e/7e56407af92ab661f045617a5bf25c0e-getty-83027667ng023_blazers_clips.jpg

tlongII
10-23-2008, 10:49 AM
8hyVjCI3Ir0

Mad_Hatter
10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
tlong uses this thread for himself to jack off.

tlongII
10-23-2008, 10:56 AM
http://person.smugmug.com/photos/400558296_9J5Lk-L.jpg

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-23-2008, 11:01 AM
i hope he and Bynum both average 23/12 each........its time for some guys to live up to the hype of big men. Im sick of getting excited come draft time and most guys turn out to be average

Anti.Hero
10-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Does he have a mid-range jumper?

Indazone
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I dunno but Landry played him straight up in college and held his own.

Tmac&Luther
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Get your rings while you can, because if Portland can keep that young core together, they're going to have the West on lockdown for awhile.

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2008, 03:21 PM
drob wannabe.....

Allanon
10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Oden's huge. Reminds me of Shaq. Pretty much unstoppable if he gets the ball down low.

Oden vs Bynum vs DHo vs Yao should be epic.

TheProfessor
10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
The move on Kaman looked good, and he seemed incredibly mobile on the second dunk. I had read earlier that Oden was getting down on himself after making mistakes, and that this was affecting his play, is that improving?

Dex
10-23-2008, 05:46 PM
http://person.smugmug.com/photos/400558296_9J5Lk-L.jpg

is his shoe still touching the floor?

Damn that dude's got wingspan.

IronMexican
10-23-2008, 05:53 PM
drob wannabe.....

Imo, Oden will be better than Drob when his career is over. If he isn't, his career would be considered a failure.

mystargtr34
10-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Imo, Oden will be better than Drob when his career is over. If he isn't, his career would be considered a failure.

Oden doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same breath yet, and he will never touch D-Rob offensively, he doesnt have the lateral cat-like quickness and smoothness 5-0. Defensively Oden has the potential to be there, but you do remember Rob was a 4 Block 2 Steal guy?

IronMexican
10-23-2008, 06:12 PM
We'll just have to wait and see. But, if Oden doesn't surpass Robinson, he will be considered a failure.

blink
10-23-2008, 06:14 PM
i highly doubt oden will be better than drob by the end of his career. it would be more realistic that he's on par with drob. even that is a stretch

tlongII
10-23-2008, 06:34 PM
I don't know if he'll ever put up stats like DRob, but I expect him to have a greater impact on the game.

angelbelow
10-23-2008, 07:41 PM
dude he looks huge out there.

Fillmoe
10-23-2008, 10:18 PM
A6LZKESD89c

LOLPWNED!

turiaf for president
10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
^ hahahaha

Reggie Miller
10-23-2008, 10:29 PM

Yup. Not just once, either.

Reggie Miller
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't know if he'll ever put up stats like DRob, but I expect him to have a greater impact on the game.

I have no doubt that Oden will be the first NBA player to draw $50 million without earning $50,000 of it.

wireonfire
10-23-2008, 11:33 PM

As much as I love Landry, that is not true. Landry only got 2 boards in the NCAA game against Oden. Oden got 19, IIRC.

ShoogarBear
10-23-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.faniq.com/images/blog/mighty%20ducks%20logo.gif

:huh :wtf

Reggie Miller
10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
As much as I love Landry, that is not true. Landry only got 2 boards in the NCAA game against Oden. Oden got 19, IIRC.

Yep. Despite that, Landry contained him during the Big Ten conference games. Purdue put an athletic PF at 6'7" on Oden, and Oden struggled. I have seen two head-to-head games of Landry v. Oden in person. Landry is the better overall player in terms of skill-set. There is no question.

If Oden can prove to be durable and average a double/double, he will be a more valuable player in the NBA. As of today, Landry was a better draft choice.

TheMadHatter
10-24-2008, 12:10 AM
C'mon let's be real guys.

Oden looks good from what we've been able to see. That's some scary athleticism and power dunks for a rookie. If he can put it all together he will have a nice career. The real question I have is his durability.

Chris Mihm
10-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Fellas, have you forgotten how big my balls are?

he's gotta go through me first
:hat

RsxPiimp
10-24-2008, 02:17 AM
tlong uses this thread for himself to jack off.

:lol

RsxPiimp
10-24-2008, 02:18 AM

suck my balls first

-dj mbenga

angelbelow
10-24-2008, 02:20 AM

fair enough.

tlongII
10-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Yep. Despite that, Landry contained him during the Big Ten conference games. Purdue put an athletic PF at 6'7" on Oden, and Oden struggled. I have seen two head-to-head games of Landry v. Oden in person. Landry is the better overall player in terms of skill-set. There is no question.

If Oden can prove to be durable and average a double/double, he will be a more valuable player in the NBA. As of today, Landry was a better draft choice.

:lmao This has got to be the most ridiculous post I've ever read!

Indazone
10-24-2008, 12:43 PM
:lmao This has got to be the most ridiculous post I've ever read!

lol no it's true. Oden has size and a lot of upside potential. As of today Landry is the better player.

Indazone
10-24-2008, 12:44 PM
That being said, I predict a steep learning curve for Oden. I think he'll do what Yao did in his first year. Average about 13 pts and 6 boards a game. he'll become a 20-10 player probably in his 3rd or 4th year. Then he'll be a dominant big man.

Tmac&Luther
10-24-2008, 04:33 PM
lol no it's true. Oden has size and a lot of upside potential. As of today Landry is the better player.

It doesn't matter if Landry "is the better player" right now. Oden is the "more important player" and I'd trade Landry for him anyday........and I love Landry's game.

Centers like Oden don't grow on trees, he's the type of center that can hold down the fort for your team for the next 12-13 seasons.

Undersized PFs are a dime a dozen.

tlongII
10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Oden is WAAAY better than Landry right now! If you don't realize that you're just ignorant.

Indazone
10-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Oden is WAAAY better than Landry right now! If you don't realize that you're just ignorant.

bwhahahahahaha!!

sook
10-24-2008, 06:10 PM
landry can score 20 ppg easy and on a ridiculous efficiancy, last yr he was a 65FG%. Now that he has developed a lethal midrange it makes him all the better...but come on...oden is a center and everyone knows that he's better.

tlongII
10-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Stop with the hype tlong. Word is coming out of Portland that people are disapointed from what Oden has shown so far. You guys overhyped him. Im sure you have all of Odens highlights in this preseason. Show us one play that seperates Oden from guys like Eric Damier, and Diop? You cant... dont even try.

You will see how overhyped he was come Tuesday night. Prepare to be Pritch-slapped!

Reggie Miller
10-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I didn't say I would take Landry over Oden. I said Landry was severely underrated, and that he has been the more valuable player so far.

Fact: Oden has one Big 10 season and has played in zero official NBA games.

Fact: Oden has no jump shot, but Landry can play inside.

Fact: Landry is a better defender, as of today.

Fact: In head-to-head play, Landry could contain Oden.

If their careers ended today, Landry has been the more valuable player. What's so difficult to understand?

Reggie Miller
10-25-2008, 03:00 PM
It doesn't matter if Landry "is the better player" right now. Oden is the "more important player" and I'd trade Landry for him anyday........and I love Landry's game.

Centers like Oden don't grow on trees, he's the type of center that can hold down the fort for your team for the next 12-13 seasons.

Undersized PFs are a dime a dozen.

Can't disagree. I'm saying people are counting a chicken who hasn't hatched yet.

tlongII
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Fact: Oden has one Big 10 season and has played in zero official NBA games. So what?

Fact: Oden has no jump shot, but Landry can play inside. Oden doesn't need a jump shot.

Fact: Landry is a better defender, as of today. Bullshit.

Fact: In head-to-head play, Landry could contain Oden. Ridiculous bullshit.

If their careers ended today, Landry has been the more valuable player. What's so difficult to understand? Duh, since Oden hasn't played a real NBA game yet.

Reggie Miller
10-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Fact: Oden has one Big 10 season and has played in zero official NBA games. So what?

Fact: Oden has no jump shot, but Landry can play inside. Oden doesn't need a jump shot.

Fact: Landry is a better defender, as of today. Bullshit.

Fact: In head-to-head play, Landry could contain Oden. Ridiculous bullshit.

If their careers ended today, Landry has been the more valuable player. What's so difficult to understand? Duh, since Oden hasn't played a real NBA game yet.

Finally, some light dawns on ol' tlong. Oden hasn't played a real NBA game. Until Tuesday, we should be asking, "how does Oden compare to Len Bias?"

RsxPiimp
10-25-2008, 03:16 PM
oden would rape landry

SimonHymen
10-25-2008, 06:50 PM
yawn