PDA

View Full Version : SPURS.COM: Spurs Waive Green, Stoudamire and Watkins

ElNono
10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have waived guard/forward Devin Green, guard Salim Stoudamire and center Darryl Watkins.
Green appeared in four games during the preseason, averaging 7.0 points, 2.8 assists, 1.8 rebounds and 1.25 steals in 21.8 minutes per game.

Stoudamire played in two preseason games, averaging 5.5 points, 2.5 assists and 1.5 rebounds in 19.0 minutes of action.

Green saw action in five preseason games, averaging 3.2 points and 3.2 rebounds in 15.0 minutes of action.

The Spurs roster now stands at 16.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_waive_three_081023.html)

urunobili
10-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Watkings gone.... they should have traded Oberto.. there goes the only decent shot blocker... :depressed

Russ
10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Hopefully they'll keep an eye on Watkins and Stoudamire.

benefactor
10-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Again, no surprises. With Tolliver assumed to be on board, its down to Hairston and Farmer. Glad I am not the coach.

Whisky Dog
10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Obvious cuts. Now comes the final, difficult one. If it's that difficult to let one go I say buy out the guy who is redundant and no longer necessary - Vaughn.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm sorry to see Watkins go. I never thought he had a realistic chance to make the roster, based on how things are presently constructed. Yet, I really liked his raw skills. Outside of Duncan, there is not another shot-blocker on this team. There, I said it.

jiggy_55
10-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Honestly, this has been expected for a while.. It's obvious the last 2 roster spots are between Tolliver, Farmer and Hairston.. All have performed quite well from what i've seen and heard.. Tolliver seems to have his place guaranteed, so its between Farmers instant offense and threes and Hairstons overall game, defending, hustling etc..

Will be EXTREMELY tough for Pop to make his choice.. Personally, i'd take both! Find a trade for Bonner ASAP and get those 2 guys play here! I know this probably won't happen, but its the best option.. Tolliver and Mahinmi whenever he's back should get some minutes this season because they are good prospects and we need to work on young talent.. We are the only team that doesn't allow our young players to get some minutes and play well! These guys hopefully can impress with some playing time.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Honestly, this has been expected for a while.. It's obvious the last 2 roster spots are between Tolliver, Farmer and Hairston.. All have performed quite well from what i've seen and heard.. Tolliver seems to have his place guaranteed, so its between Farmers instant offense and threes and Hairstons overall game, defending, hustling etc..

Will be EXTREMELY tough for Pop to make his choice.. Personally, i'd take both! Find a trade for Bonner ASAP and get those 2 guys play here! I know this probably won't happen, but its the best option.. Tolliver and Mahinmi whenever he's back should get some minutes this season because they are good prospects and we need to work on young talent.. We are the only team that doesn't allow our young players to get some minutes and play well! These guys hopefully can impress with some playing time.

Obviously, the Spurs are in the business of winning championships. However, I've always been of the opinion that you can accomplish both. With the Spurs being the perennial "oldest team in the league", it seems to me that Pop could've found time to "divvy up" some productive minutes for younger players during the "dog days" of the winter NBA schedule. Especially when Pop has been committed to managing the playing time of his older veterans in years past. The problem is they've had very few young players on the active roster, in which to do so.

MoSpur
10-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I am gonna put my money on Hairston getting the roster spot an Farmer being cut only because I think Hairston has a more complete game right now IMO.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I am gonna put my money on Hairston getting the roster spot an Farmer being cut only because I think Hairston has a more complete game right now IMO.

That's what I'm hoping for too. I believe it's the prudent way to go. That give this guy a roster spot and he can move back and forth from D-League to to the active roster at Pop's discretion, with the protection from being swiped by another team. The Spurs are going to need the contributions of this guy next year and beyond.

Fermixalot
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
This is going to be an extremely tough choice for Pop, I do not envy him at this point.

Farmer could be that burst of scoring off the bench. He does seem to have that assassin scorer's mentality that the Spurs could use.

Hariston though fills what I thought has been one of the major holes in the Spurs rosters for a few years, the athletic wingman behind Bowen than can move, defend and hit a shot or two.

I'm not really sure I'd be angry whatever Pop and the staff choose, they both fill a need for the team. Though I do agree with the unlikely scenario of trading Bonner or Vaughn to give these two guys (along with Tolliver) a spot.

jiggy_55
10-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Obviously, the Spurs are in the business of winning championships. However, I've always been of the opinion that you can accomplish both. With the Spurs being the perennial "oldest team in the league", it seems to me that Pop could've found time to "divvy up" some productive minutes for younger players during the "dog days" of the winter NBA schedule. Especially when Pop has been committed to managing the playing time of his older veterans in years past. The problem is they've had very few young players on the active roster, in which to do so.

I have to agree with you there. The thing is, the Spurs have never really done that! We are one of the oldest, if not the oldest teams, and we need some young blood coming in to this team especially on the wings. Manu, Bowen, Udoka aren't getting any younger and Roger Mason isn't THAT young to begin with. If we could develop some players like Farmer and Hairston, they would be more than just decent players.

jiggy_55
10-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Also, let me add that i think Farmer may be the best choice for the team we have now.. If we could send Hairston to the D League and let him play and develop there until we trade away Bonner, Vaughn or so, that would be perfect.. Farmer is what we need most right now because we don't have anyone who comes on and gives us instant offense. Stoudamire was supposed to be that person but it never worked out. And Hairston isn't yet such an offensive threat who can come on and get quick points. Farmer has consistenly shot the 3 pointer well and this fits around our team perfectly right now, especially with Manu's injury.

Fingaroll44
10-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Obvious cuts. Now comes the final, difficult one. If it's that difficult to let one go I say buy out the guy who is redundant and no longer necessary - Vaughn.

Oh but he IS necessary. He is a 3rd PG, a GOOD insurance policy in my opinion. Obviously Pop thinks so too. What if TP or Hill goes down? You at least want someone u can trust to bring the ball up safe and distribute it.

Fingaroll44
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry to see Watkins go. I never thought he had a realistic chance to make the roster, based on how things are presently constructed. Yet, I really liked his raw skills. Outside of Duncan, there is not another shot-blocker on this team. There, I said it.

i hoped we would keep the shot swatter too

phxspurfan
10-23-2008, 11:50 AM

Agreed. Adding both Farmer and Hairston makes us significantly younger and gives us more future potential now (before panic mode sets in and a full rebuild is necessary).

Whisky Dog
10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh but he IS necessary. He is a 3rd PG, a GOOD insurance policy in my opinion. Obviously Pop thinks so too. What if TP or Hill goes down? You at least want someone u can trust to bring the ball up safe and distribute it.

If the Spurs are that high on both Farmer and Hairston then their value IMO is higher than the place holder Vaughn is as a 3rd PG. You can get some looks at some of the 2's in practice at emergency PG in stretches to give you what Vaughn does should Hill get dinged up. If Parker goes down, the season's fucked if its for an extended period and the Spurs would then have to cut one of these two to bring in a guy like Stoudemire later.

lurker23
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I was hoping that Stoudamire would get more of a chance to make the team, but that's no one's fault except the injury bug. As much as I think Vaughn is underrated by most fans, I was thinking that Stoudamire could fill that role as 3rd string PG with a better scoring punch. Maybe he'll get a shot with a 10 day contract later, but I have a feeling he'll spend about half the year on an NBA roster after he gets healthy.

As for the remaining players, if I were going to keep one, I'd keep Hairston. If I were going to keep two, I'd keep Hairston and Tolliver. I think Hairston potentially meets more of a need in the long run, and I feel like Tolliver is redundant with Bonner at this point. Either way, if both are signed (or Farmer is included), I would expect those 2 to go to Austin.

ElNono
10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Not true. You need a 3rd string PG. Mason could play the role, but we're already short at SG, and it would be better for him to learn the system playing in his position. Vaughn already knows how to run the point in our system, even if he can't score. The odd one out in my opinion is Bonner. If Tolliver is signed, then we have 5 bigs + Bonner, and Hairston would be playing at his position anyways. The problem is his $3 million contract.

Darkwaters
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm sorry to see Watkins go. Hopefully the Toros can swing some way to get him on their roster. But I know another D-League team already owns his rights, so that seems unlikely. Still, good luck Darryl.

misterx91578
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
so will Farmer or Hairston be on the Toros?

hater
10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
keep Farmer!

traitoravery
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Watkings gone.... they should have traded Oberto.. there goes the only decent shot blocker... :depressed

Ummm Mahinmi?

Darkwaters
10-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Ummm Mahinmi?

Note the word "decent" in the line. I'm not sold on mahinmi being a consistent shot-blocker.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Watkins would have been in Austin all year learning how to play basketball.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Note the word "decent" in the line. I'm not sold on mahinmi being a consistent shot-blocker.

Exactly - especially when he's not played a minute at all during the preseason. At this point in his early career, I don't see Ian being a good running mate with Duncan.

I don't care how many bigs are on the current roster, not one of them (besides Duncan) can adequately defend a true center like Oden, Bynum, Lopez, Gasol, Pryzbilla, Chandler or Shaq.

It's also worth mentioning again, Duncan is the only shotblocker on this squad. A deficiency that I believe will become readily apparent when opposing teams throw a taller lineup against the Spurs. We can blame it on Splitter's absence, which leaves Duncan virtually alone, without help, again for yet another season.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Watkins would have been in Austin all year learning how to play basketball.

So what. At this point, better to have another big like him in the Austin pipeline, than not.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Not really. Two inexperienced big men are enough for this team.

FromWayDowntown
10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Agreed. Adding both Farmer and Hairston makes us significantly younger and gives us more future potential now (before panic mode sets in and a full rebuild is necessary).

Um, when Tim Duncan retires, a full rebuild will be necessary -- at least if the Spurs and their fans (including me) have any intention of winning titles. Adding young guys now isn't an effort to bridge the gap after Duncan's retirement. It's an effort to sprinkle in some youth that will aid the Spurs in being competitive until Duncan retires.

I think it's folly to think that, absent the miracle of another once-in-a-generation #1 pick or something like it, the Spurs are just going to keep chugging out 50 win seasons and roll through to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Spurs Brazil
10-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Pop has a tough job decision now

I'd keep Farmer

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Um, when Tim Duncan retires, a full rebuild will be necessary -- at least if the Spurs and their fans (including me) have any intention of winning titles. Adding young guys now isn't an effort to bridge the gap after Duncan's retirement. It's an effort to sprinkle in some youth that will aid the Spurs in being competitive until Duncan retires.

Bingo!

byrdman31
10-23-2008, 02:56 PM

exactly what i think... kind of creepy how close it is :bking

dbestpro
10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
This is an easy decision. Hairston is a goner. What can Hairston bring that we don't already have in Udoka, Bowen, Finley and Mason. Farmer gives you something that no one else can and that's offense from the bench at the PG position. So when Farmer makes the team who gets cut when Ginobili comes back? Tolliver or Farmer?

ceperez
10-23-2008, 03:09 PM
This is an easy decision. Hairston is a goner. What can Hairston bring that we don't already have in Udoka, Bowen, Finley and Mason. Farmer gives you something that no one else can and that's offense from the bench at the PG position. So when Farmer makes the team who gets cut when Ginobili comes back? Tolliver or Farmer?

Agree entirely. Hairston at best is going to play in the D-league for the Toros. He doesn't provide a unique talent to allocate a slot.

Darkwaters
10-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Who gets cut? Nobody. We can keep them all.

Do you mean who gets sent to the inactive roster? Well, they'll probably both be on the inactive roster anyways.

I guess I don't understand your point.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Who gets cut? Nobody. We can keep them all.

Do you mean who gets sent to the inactive roster? Well, they'll probably both be on the inactive roster anyways.

I guess I don't understand your point.I believe the roster is currently at 16.

Darkwaters
10-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I believe the roster is currently at 16.

Yea, but hes saying that we'll have to cut somebody once Ginobili comes back. That makes no sense. We would have made all our cuts well in advance of Gino's return.

ChumpDumper
10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Oh, right. I'm flitting between similar threads.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 03:45 PM
When is the deadline for roster cuts?

Ice009
10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm going to say it like this guys. What has Pop been going on about ALL of training camp???

OFFENSE. Who out of the remaining guys fits that bill? FARMER. You think Pop's going to cut him after going on about needed scoring all throughout training camp? He's the only one left that can provide what Pop wants.

It's quite simple really. I think the only way Hairston makes the team is if someone is cut. I think the Spurs are going to try and get him to sign overseas to keep his rights and bring him in next season.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm going to say it like this guys. What has Pop been going on about ALL of training camp???

OFFENSE. Who out of the remaining guys fits that bill? FARMER. You think Pop's going to cut him after going on about needed scoring all throughout training camp? He's the only one left that can provide what Pop wants.

It's quite simple really. I think the only way Hairston makes the team is if someone is cut. I think the Spurs are going to try and get him to sign overseas to keep his rights and bring him in next season.

I can live with that scenario. I just don't think it's wise for the Spurs to kick Hairston "to the curb" when the kid obviously had talent and potential - even if it's not fully developed. There is not another player of his type on the roster or in the pipeline.

galvatron3000
10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
From all the reports I've gotten I think Farmer maybe a gem in the mold of Manu. Remember the Spurs' problem last season was relying too heavily on Manu to score and bail them out down the stretch late in games. Well, when he was injured against the Lakers it hurt them not having anyone capable of providing wing scoring punch. Farmer by far seems to answer that so developing him over the year seems to be a cheap investment worth taking a chance on. We aren't drafting high nor can we hope to land someone of worth via trade so he is a cheap way to add to the team, bench scoring, youth, & athleticism.

Hairston seems redundant with what is already there, just younger, which is not bad but given the Spurs are trying to win now and only have room to groom one of the two (Hairston/Farmer) I'd choose Farmer. That's assuming Tolliver is going to stay. I would actually look for the Spurs to keep Tolliver with the notion that Bonner will be moved later this year. If they keep Tolliver then I expect Bonner to be shopped up til the trade deadline and perhaps Hairston being brought back to the Toros and learn down there. Farmer is a talent you can't afford to lose to any rivals at this stage and at this price.

Biggems
10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
roster inquiry......

Can the Spurs have 15 guys on the roster and still have 2 players signed but have them assigned to Austin all year? Or, can they only have 13 players signed if they have 2 players assigned to Austin?

Obstructed_View
10-23-2008, 08:38 PM
roster inquiry......

Can the Spurs have 15 guys on the roster and still have 2 players signed but have them assigned to Austin all year? Or, can they only have 13 players signed if they have 2 players assigned to Austin?

The latter.

Biggems
10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
The latter.

that sucks........

now that we have a DLeague....the NBA should make the 15 player limit, but also allow teams to have a maximum of 3 players per season signed and designated to the DLeague for the season.

If a team wants to call up one of the DLeague players, it must release one of the current players on the 15 man roster. The DLeague player must then remain on the NBA roster for the remainder of the season.

This way the Spurs could have kept Watkins, Green, Farmer or Hairston and merely sent them to the DLeague for the entire season to develop in their system.

Obstructed_View
10-23-2008, 08:46 PM
that sucks........

now that we have a DLeague....the NBA should make the 15 player limit, but also allow teams to have a maximum of 3 players per season signed and designated to the DLeague for the season.

If a team wants to call up one of the DLeague players, it must release one of the current players on the 15 man roster. The DLeague player must then remain on the NBA roster for the remainder of the season.

This way the Spurs could have kept Watkins, Green, Farmer or Hairston and merely sent them to the DLeague for the entire season to develop in their system.

That might happen when every NBA team has its own D League team. I know I sound like a broken record, but the Spurs could get rid of this problem by just taking the two players that look the best.

Biggems
10-23-2008, 08:53 PM
That might happen when every NBA team has its own D League team. I know I sound like a broken record, but the Spurs could get rid of this problem by just taking the two players that look the best.

or by getting rid of vawn and boner (yes i spelled them wrong on purpose)

Obstructed_View
10-23-2008, 09:49 PM
or by getting rid of vawn and boner (yes i spelled them wrong on purpose)

If you can come up with a way to get rid of them, I'm sure Pop's ready to read the email about it.

Manufan909
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
He wouldn't do it to Vaughn, he values him too much. Hey, my friends brother thought Farmer was a 1, but I saud he was a 2, which is he?

benefactor
10-23-2008, 10:17 PM
He wouldn't do it to Vaughn, he values him too much. Hey, my friends brother thought Farmer was a 1, but I saud he was a 2, which is he?
He is a two.

SenorSpur
10-23-2008, 10:19 PM

If you think that Hairston is in any way similar to Finley, Bowen, Udoka or Mason, then it's obvious you know very little about this kid. Hell, it's also clear you've not read comments from others who've watched him play during preseason. There is a reason the final cut comes down to these two. Because they both have skills needed by this ball club. Farmer's stroke and scoring abiltiy are badly needed. However, Hairston has length, can score, rebound and defend from the wing. That said, let's not act as though Hairston is a mere redundant talent.

tp2021
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
What can Hairston bring that we don't already have in Udoka, Bowen, Finley and Mason.

He is cheaper. Udoka's contract runs out after this year, and they may not want to re-sign him. Bruce needs a youngin to tutor, and won't be here forever. Mason may not live up to what the FO wants him to be. Please don't compare him to Finley.

Ice009
10-23-2008, 11:08 PM
If you think that Hairston is in any way similar to Finley, Bowen, Udoka or Mason, then it's obvious you know very little about this kid. Hell, it's also clear you've not read comments from others who've watched him play during preseason. There is a reason the final cut comes down to these two. Because they both have skills needed by this ball club. Farmer's stroke and scoring abiltiy are badly needed. However, Hairston has length, can score, rebound and defend from the wing. That said, let's not act as though Hairston is a mere redundant talent.

I agree with everything you said man. Very good take and you are right. I mean Hairston could step in and replace Ime next season if we don't resign him. Hairston would be very valuable in the next two to three years.

For this season I'd say we NEED Farmer. For this season I'd say I WANT Malik, but we don't NEED him this season. It's such a tough freaking choice. I really do want both.

What do you go with? Do you go with your needs or wants? Present or the future? Personally I'd go with what we need now.

galvatron3000
10-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I agree with everything you said man. Very good take and you are right. I mean Hairston could step in and replace Ime next season if we don't resign him. Hairston would be very valuable in the next two to three years.

For this season I'd say we NEED Farmer. For this season I'd say I WANT Malik, but we don't NEED him this season. It's such a tough freaking choice. I really do want both.

What do you go with? Do you go with your needs or wants? Present or the future?

go with needs now and future.

sexinthatsx
10-24-2008, 03:19 AM
man... i wish they didn't cut Salim, we could've definately used him in various situations... FUCK!

mrspurs
10-24-2008, 06:41 AM

We all knew theses guys were headed out the door. Im not sure the FO is smart enough to get rid of Fab. He will be back doing what Fab does best. Wasting a position that shoulda been filled long ago. Fab and Kurt what a joke:lol I wouldnt want to know how Timmy feels if these are the 2 that will give him rest.:downspin:

mrspurs
10-24-2008, 06:45 AM

That wasnt to hard to say. I wont think anyless of ya. Matter fact the only ones who might start crying are the ones on my ignore list.:lol Your right after Timmy we have nada compared to what the rest of the NBA has. If you think Timmys poor post season shooting was bad last year. Get ready for another one if Fab and Kurt are the men giving him rest. :lol