PDA

View Full Version : Palin and her medical records

sontinospurs
10-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Anybody have any suggestions as to whats going on with her delay. Saw on her interview with Brian Williams that she said it might be another thing for the public to criticise her on...

Shastafarian
10-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe it'll prove she really didn't have Trig???

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I suspect it will be more along the lines of things Andrew brings up in this blog entry:
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/palins-medica-2.html

If Trig isn't hers, she's a liar. If Trig is hers, then her actions while carrying a special-needs fetus are grossly irresponsible.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2008, 12:09 PM
and people get angry when the ayers thing is still brought up............

it's hers get over it. biden is the only one that has given his medical records and it was reported that everything wasn't given. same a mccain's. obama simply had a letter submitted on his health status. i really don't see the need for this issue to be brought up.

sontinospurs
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM

it's hers get over it. biden is the only one that has given his medical records and it was reported that everything wasn't given. same a mccain's. obama simply had a letter submitted on his health status. i really don't see the need for this issue to be brought up.

Its funny when repubs get things thrown back at them. they get so defensive. Also, palin has a history of rules not applying to her....:flag:

SpursFanFirst
10-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I suspect it will be more along the lines of things Andrew brings up in this blog entry:
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/palins-medica-2.html

If Trig isn't hers, she's a liar. If Trig is hers, then her actions while carrying a special-needs fetus are grossly irresponsible.

hm...the amniocentesis doesn't bother me because I think that would be somewhat routine at her age...but I'm not a doctor, so maybe it isn't.

The rest of the story though is interesting, to say the least.
It sounds as though she took a lot of risks with this child.

I can see how she'd be afraid of people criticizing her over this -
She decided to keep this special needs child, which is admirable...but did she take these risks (knowing she could lose this baby) hoping, on some level, she'd miscarry?

boutons_
10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Withheld medical records for all the candidates are troubling.

You expect it from the secretive/we-have-a-lot-to-hide Repugs who fuck over all rules and regulations, eg, the dubya/dickhead WH, but not so much from the Dems.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Its funny when repubs get things thrown back at them. they get so defensive. Also, palin has a history of rules not applying to her....:flag:i'm not a republican. when all parties are quilty i don't see the need to call one out. repeatedly.

sontinospurs
10-23-2008, 12:22 PM
i'm not a republican. when all parties are quilty i don't see the need to call one out. repeatedly.

I wasnt referring to you. I was referring to her in the interview :)

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 12:23 PM
We have full disclosure about Obama and Ayers. We do not have full disclosure about ... well, almost anything relating to Palin.

it's hers get over it.
I could actually care less. What bothers me is a person running for one of the highest offices acting like she doesn't have to answer to the American people for anything. If you act like someone with a lot to hide people are going to speculate. She's running for public office, she owes the public disclosure ... get over it.

biden is the only one that has given his medical records and it was reported that everything wasn't given.
All candidates should have to release their records. Agreed.

same a mccain's.
No. Biden actually released most of his medical records to be vetted by the press. McCain allowed select members of the press to examine medical documents which may or may not have been his full records for a limited time. None of the press were allowed to take notes or information with them. That is not "same."

obama simply had a letter submitted on his health status.
Which is a standard practice. A doctor submitting a statement is actually significant because the doctor's reputation is actually held responsible for such.

i really don't see the need for this issue to be brought up.
The health of the people that would be your leaders may be of no interest to you personally. But it is traditionally of interest to the rest of the voting public.

hater
10-23-2008, 12:26 PM
maybe she has a dong

sontinospurs
10-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Also, she has brought up many arguments and beliefs on how she would govern ie. roe v wade. Her disclosure is important on issues such as this......

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
maybe she has a dong

Well we all know she does. But it's 72 years old and showing quite a bit of wear these days.

fyatuk
10-23-2008, 12:57 PM
All candidates should have to release their records. Agreed.

Personally, I completely disagree here. Medical records are highly protected in terms of privacy, so I don't see why candidates should be forced to give up their right to privacy on an issue most people consider very sensitive when it comes to their own.

The only thing that matters if they are healthy or not, and for everyone except Palin (as far as I know), we have gotten a clean bill of health from the mouth or writing of doctors. That's good enough.

boutons_
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
"I don't see why candidates should be forced to give up their right to privacy"

Right to privacy is myth. Ask dubya's NSA/CIA/FBI/DIA and any PI.

JFK had multiple serious diseases and was on heavy medication, which put his ability to think clearly and govern in serious doubt.

BUT NOBODY KNEW outside the small army of doctors who were propping him up.

10-23-2008, 01:16 PM
JFK knew what he was doing.

DarkReign
10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Obama hasnt released his either, so this is a non-starter.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Obama hasnt released his either, so this is a non-starter.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/05/obama_releases_health_informat.html

DarkReign
10-23-2008, 01:36 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/05/obama_releases_health_informat.html

Right, I know about that. Its was a one pager (276 words) from his lifelong doctor.

That isnt releasing your health records, thats getting an endorsement from your family doctor.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Personally, I completely disagree here. Medical records are highly protected in terms of privacy, so I don't see why candidates should be forced to give up their right to privacy on an issue most people consider very sensitive when it comes to their own.

They choose to run for office. That choice comes with consequences and obligations. They can opt out of their run at any time.

The only thing that matters if they are healthy or not, and for everyone except Palin (as far as I know), we have gotten a clean bill of health from the mouth or writing of doctors. That's good enough.

Healthy when? Healthy now? Healthy with a chance of relapse 2 years into a 4 year term?

Politically there are other issues. A president has a lot of power to pass or influence legislation. A president in the early stages of Parkinson's, for example, might have a personal interest in stem cell research, which is a hot button issue for many.

Disclosure isn't fun and it isn't easy, but transparency on behalf of our leaders is part of the honor and responsibilty that comes with trying to assume the role. And no one is forced into it.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Right, I know about that. Its was a one pager (276 words) from his lifelong doctor.

That isnt releasing your health records, thats getting an endorsement from your family doctor.

It referenced specific readings on standard tests, an EKG and other things. It reported nothing unusual. There is no history of illness. There would be professional repercussions for any doctor to falsify such statements.

As I said, I believe that full records should be made available. You're saying Obama didn't release enough for your liking. That's fine, but it's not the same as not releasing anything.

fyatuk
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
They choose to run for office. That choice comes with consequences and obligations. They can opt out of their run at any time.

Just saying I disagree with you.

Healthy when? Healthy now? Healthy with a chance of relapse 2 years into a 4 year term?

In this election, the three candidates we know all have major health concerns and all have been given a clean bill of health. I don't see why we should pry when doctors have stated there are no concerns about any of them.

As you said earlier: "A doctor submitting a statement is actually significant because the doctor's reputation is actually held responsible for such."

You disagree, fine, doesn't matter to me. But the fact that they haven't released medical records doesn't bother me since they've all been declared healthy, and I would oppose any attempt to make it required to release such private information.

DarkReign
10-23-2008, 01:55 PM
It referenced specific readings on standard tests, an EKG and other things. It reported nothing unusual. There is no history of illness. There would be professional repercussions for any doctor to falsify such statements.

As I said, I believe that full records should be made available.

Agreed. But Obama's release isnt of the same caliber that the media wants, or you want for that matter.

Do I think a potential President should? Honestly, yes and no.

Yeah I know, real hard line stance there. But it would be troubling to me that if the most qualified candidate in some future election, where its obvious this guy/gal is the obvious answer to a leadership vacuum, had to release his/her medical records and somehow was affected adversely because his/her family has a history of some rare and incurable disease.

You're saying Obama didn't release enough for your liking. That's fine, but it's not the same as not releasing anything.

I never said he didnt release to my liking. I said he hadnt released his records yet either, in relationship to what the first article asks for anyway.

Nothing more.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Just saying I disagree with you.

I know :p: I'm not attacking, just presenting the other side.

In this election, the three candidates we know all have major health concerns and all have been given a clean bill of health.

When did McCain get a clean bill of health?

I don't see why we should pry when doctors have stated there are no concerns about any of them.

I'd like to read anything that says a doctor has said there are no medical concerns about McCain. It would honestly make me feel a lot better.

As you said earlier: "A doctor submitting a statement is actually significant because the doctor's reputation is actually held responsible for such."

But the fact that they haven't released medical records doesn't bother me since they've all been declared healthy, and I would oppose any attempt to make it required to release such private information.

I don't think "declared healthy" can be supported as it's kinda vague and means something different to everyone. A doctor's statement that there are no anomalies or concerns is only on record for Obama to the best of my knowledge.

I don't think Biden or McCain's records show enough for us to know one way or the other. And Palin hasn't showed us anything.

Trainwreck2100
10-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Maybe she was born Sam?

fyatuk
10-23-2008, 02:27 PM
When did McCain get a clean bill of health?

Back in May, McCain's doctors at the Mayo clinic said that he was in excellent health and was energetic, with nothing to interfere with him doing the duties of President. It's not hard to find that statement. I believe McCain gets checked out twice a year due to his age and his previous melanoma, so that would be a recent assessment.

Obama's statement of health was based an an exam conducted in January 2007, so there's a bit of an issue with how long ago that was. Not that I'm at all concerned about Obama's health, I just think it's stupid to release a letter summarizing an examination that took place like 16 months before the summarization was written.

I don't think "declared healthy" can be supported as it's kinda vague and means something different to everyone. A doctor's statement that there are no anomalies or concerns is only on record for Obama to the best of my knowledge.

I don't think Biden or McCain's records show enough for us to know one way or the other. And Palin hasn't showed us anything.

You have a point about "declared healthy". Personally, I wouldn't mind requiring candidates to submit to a physical and make the results of that public. I just don't agree with forcing them to open their medical history.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
You have a point about "declared healthy". Personally, I wouldn't mind requiring candidates to submit to a physical and make the results of that public. I just don't agree with forcing them to open their medical history.

I'll see if I can find the McCain stuff. That would make me feel slightly better at the possibility of him being elected.

You know what no one else seems to think about? Palin could be pregnant right now. Maybe that matters to voters and maybe it doesn't, but it's certainly something the public should know one way or the other, and it's not something that's ever been on the table before.

My personal beliefs might not be the same as the average voter. I think, in order to be considered for office, candidates should have to submit a full 10-year history with a brief summary of any previous incidents, conditions or concerns and that both the candidate and their doctor should have to sign it as true under oath.

Extraordinary responsibilities demand extraordinary disclosure and scrutiny. A president's history should be at least as important as an astronaut's.

Anti.Hero
10-23-2008, 02:49 PM
You guys are pathetic.

sontinospurs
10-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Ah, I see so the repubs can dish it out, but they cant take it. Its just as crazy as McCain saying Obama has run the most negative campaign in history. Unreal.

Anti.Hero
10-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Obama was born in Kenya and Trig is not Palin's baby. Nothing shocking. :sleep

fyatuk
10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Ah, I see so the repubs can dish it out, but they cant take it. Its just as crazy as McCain saying Obama has run the most negative campaign in history. Unreal.

Uhh, McCain said Obama has spent more on negative advertising than any campaign in history, which is true. Of course, as a percentage of overall advertising spending it doesn't even come close.

sontinospurs
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Uhh, McCain said Obama has spent more on negative advertising than any campaign in history, which is true. Of course, as a percentage of overall advertising spending it doesn't even come close.

In terms of negative, are you referring to the issues or the spewing of hate? There seems to be a difference.

Hillary
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM
You guys are pathetic.

Look in the mirror.

fyatuk
10-23-2008, 03:52 PM
In terms of negative, are you referring to the issues or the spewing of hate? There seems to be a difference.

As measured in this case, both. I believe negative campaigning is anything that focuses on the "bad points" of the other candidate instead of your "good points" (both in quotes since whether that's true or not is subjective).

I'm not McCain, so I don't know what he meant, and I'm not any of the people who looked into and computer it to be such.

It's rather irrelevant anyway, since I was merely clarifying what McCain's claim was and mentioning that it has been shown to be correct. I also qualified it in that it is influenced by the sheer volume of money Obama's campaign has spent. Apparently only about 60% of Obama's ads have been negative, while around 74% of McCain's have been.

romad_20
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I think they should release anything that could be life threating, but everything, that's a bit much. Once in office, that's a different story.

I need to know if the person I could be voting for has had the clap. Is that so wrong?

fyatuk
10-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I need to know if the person I could be voting for has had the clap. Is that so wrong?

You plan on being a Bill Clinton style intern?

romad_20
10-23-2008, 04:06 PM
You plan on being a Bill Clinton style intern?

With Palin? Oh yeah. I love it GILF-style

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2008, 05:39 PM
wheres the part where it says PITB?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Anybody have any suggestions as to whats going on with her delay. Saw on her interview with Brian Williams that she said it might be another thing for the public to criticise her on...

Everything pertaining to Obama's past is under lock and key, but you're getting your panties in a bunch over this?

Give me a fucking break.

clambake
10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Everything pertaining to Obama's past is under lock and key, but you're getting your panties in a bunch over this?

Give me a fucking break.

what is everything we haven't heard?