PDA

View Full Version : Source: Olson to step down as Arizona coach

misterx91578
10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3659611

Source: Olson to step down as Arizona coach
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 23, 2008, 12:55 PM ET
Arizona's Lute Olson is stepping down as the school's men's basketball coach, a source has told ESPN college basketball analyst Dick Vitale.

Associate coach Mike Dunlap will take over the head coaching duties on an interim basis, the source told Vitale.

IronMexican
10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Damn, he is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Arizona.

alamo50
10-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Damn, Budinger will be pissed.

IceColdBrewski
10-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Damn, he is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Arizona.

He should be. He put Arizona basketball on the map and made them a powerhouse.

He still has the passion, but he has health problems. It must really suck when the mind is still willing, but the body isn't able.

JMarkJohns
10-27-2008, 08:32 PM
He gave me what is likely to be my only basketball title as a fan. It was a hell of a run, becoming the first team to upset three #1 overall seeds en route to a NCAA Title. The level of talent he had was never comparable to Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, but during Arizona's 16 prime years (16 20-win seasons, 16 NCAA appearances, 8 Elite Eights, 4 FFs, 2 NC appearances, 1 Title), Arizona had more players drafted into the NBA than any other program. Under Olson, even 3-star prospects like Kerr, Buchler, Simon, Arenas, Walton, Salim and Frye could star in college, and have their moments in, if not even star in the NBA.

He won and lost with class. He knew the highest of highs (1997s Title), and the lowest of lows (1999s death of wife, Bobbi) while at Arizona.

I hope he enjoys retirement, because no single person has meant more to Arizona basketball than Lute Olson. Not Jerry Colangelo... No single player...