PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs: Fabricio Oberto Has New Responsibilities

duncan228
10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Spurs: Fabricio Oberto has new responsibilities (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sacultura/Spurs_Fabricio_Oberto_has_new_responsibilities.htm l)
Mike Monroe

SAEN GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — At age 33, and after a busy summer playing for Argentina's national team, Spurs starting center Fabricio Oberto understands he may play a slightly greater role at the start of the regular season if the team is a little short-handed on the front line.

“That's why we've got a team,” said Oberto, who helped Argentina to the bronze medal in the Bejing Olympics. “Sometimes you have to take more responsibility. Different guys may be out, when you're talking about the big guys, but also Manu (Ginobili), and then the other guys on the team have to take that responsibility.”

Oberto was a 30-year-old rookie with the Spurs in 2005-06, playing limited minutes in only 59 games. But the past two seasons he has become one of the most reliable of the Spurs. He and swingman Michael Finley last season were the only Spurs to play in all 82 regular-season games. He logged a career-high 20.1 minutes a game, and had career highs in rebounds (5.2) and points (4.8).

Oberto returned to Argentina from Beijing after the Olympics and took nearly a month away from basketball. But he kept himself in condition, and said he feels better at the start of camp than in his previous three seasons with the Spurs.

“I feel great,” he said after the team's Monday morning practice. “I try to keep improving my game and give a little more help for Tim (Duncan) than the last couple of years.”

Oberto wryly observed the tug-of-war between the Spurs and the Argentine national team about Ginobili's availability for the Olympic tournament. He understood the Spurs' fears, now realized, about the potential for another injury to Ginobili's already-sore ankle. But if he was even moderately concerned that nobody suggested he, too, might benefit from a summer away from international competition, he hid it well.

“Injuries can happen anywhere, even on the national team,” he said. “But each time you play, year by year, I know it's a little more miles on your body. But for me, I feel pretty good. I came back in good shape after about 31/2 weeks off. But you have to keep doing something, even with a little break. Even overseas, you take off four or five days, and start playing again.”

10-23-2008, 04:16 PM
i don't understand why oberto doesn't shoot the ball more. he has a reliable mid range shot so he should be more involved in the offense.