PDA

View Full Version : Alan Houston Waived - So much for his comeback

Indazone
10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Allan Houston's comeback over, New York Knicks' roster at 16

1 hour ago
GREENBURGH, N.Y. — Allan Houston's latest attempt to come back as a player with the New York Knicks ended Thursday and he began discussions with the team about a role within the organization.
The Knicks also waived swingman Dan Grunfeld, trimming their roster to 16 players.
Houston was forced to retire in October 2005 because of chronic knee pain, and has attempted a comeback in each of the last two pre-seasons. However, he was never able to get into a game this time because of a sore right quadriceps.
"It made it tough," Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said. "And then a lot of times you've got to get breaks in our league in the sense of things had to open up and maybe something came out in some moves or whatever. Because nothing opened up, and then him not playing, just kind of couldn't do it at that point."
Still, the fourth-leading scorer in franchise history should stick around in some capacity working under team president Donnie Walsh.
"Although I was very excited about potentially joining my teammates in uniform, I believe that the circumstances suggest that I am best suited to serve the team in a different role," Houston said in a statement.
Grunfeld, whose father, Washington Wizards president Ernie, played for the Knicks and was their general manager from 1991-99, appeared in one pre-season game.
The roster needs to be reduced to 15 by Monday's deadline.
Also, the Knicks picked up their contract options on guard Mardy Collins and forward Wilson Chandler.
Notes: Rookie Danilo Gallinari, the No. 6 pick in the draft, scrimmaged for the first time Thursday. He had been sidelined since hurting his back in his summer league debut. ... Chandler, who sprained his left knee Tuesday against Boston, likely won't play Friday in the pre-season finale against New Jersey. http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gZ8KiyAfffwFvMyeCftrxbO_xSJw

dbreiden83080
10-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Houston took a lot of shit for his contract with the Knicks, which was too much money for his skill level but is a very nice stand up guy and was always a great team-mate.

TDMVPDPOY
10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
h2o ran out of oxygen?

JamStone
10-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Houston took a lot of shit for his contract with the Knicks, which was too much money for his skill level but is a very nice stand up guy and was always a great team-mate.

Says who?

His former Detroit Pistons teammates didn't think he was always a great teammate.

dbreiden83080
10-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Says who?
His former Detroit Pistons teammates didn't think he was always a great teammate.

Said Van-Gundy and his former mates in his heyday with the Knicks. I don't know about his deal with the Pistons.

JamStone
10-23-2008, 05:36 PM
So "always" is inaccurate.

He was thought of as self-serving and very selfish his couple of seasons with the Pistons. He wasn't hated until after he left by his teammates, but he certainly wasn't viewed as a great teammate before he left either. And, it's much easier to be a great teammate when you get the biggest contract in the league at the time even thought you're not worth it.