PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Ginobili Resumes Shooting

duncan228
10-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Spurs' Ginobili resumes shooting (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Ginobili_resumes_shooting.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili has added some light shooting to his rehabilitation regimen as he works his way back from offseason ankle surgery.

The emphasis is on the word “light.”

“He’s on the court shooting, just stationary shooting,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “He’s not moving or crossing over or pulling up or anything like that. At this moment, he’s not really close to contact or anything like that.”

The timetable on Ginobili’s return remains the same — sometime in December.

That’s not to say Ginobili can’t find a way to wow a crowd now.

Amid Thursday’s shooting session, Ginobili was walking from one Spurs’ practice court to another. When he got to a spot roughly where the P.A. announcer would be stationed had this been the AT&T Center, Ginobili casually lofted the ball, underhanded, toward the goal he was approaching.

Fifty feet away the shot swished, much to the amazement of the gathered media. About that time, Tim Duncan emerged from the locker room to see what the commotion was about.

He saw Ginobili at the other end, and the answer was obvious.

“Where’d he make it from this time?” Duncan asked.

Mahinmi update: Injured center Ian Mahinmi has begun treadmill work and could be ready for basketball activities in November, Popovich said.

Because Mahinmi has missed all of camp with a sprained right ankle, the Spurs have not ruled out sending him to their Development League affiliate in Austin to open the season.

“At some point in November, he could be playing — either here or in Austin, I don’t know which,” Popovich said. “I do think he’ll be on the court competing before Manu will.”

tp2021
10-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Jeff McDonald: Manu is back (sort of)

Quick story to relate from the end of Spurs practice today ...

We media types were gathered near the practice courts, waiting for Tim Duncan to come talk to us. While we waited, injured guard Manu Ginobili came out to shoot around on the empty courts.

Initially, Ginobili was shooting at the court nearest us, but soon decided to move to the court farthest from us. This is where things got interesting.

On his way to the new court, Ginobili arrived roughly at the spot where the P.A. announcer would be sitting if this were the AT&T Center (midcourt, about three feet out of bounds). Here, Ginobili casually flipped the ball --underhanded -- toward the basket he was approaching, 50 feet away.

Swish.

I mean, I don't think the ball even touched rim. It was like something out of a Gatorade commerical, minus the smoke and mirrors and camera tricks.

As the assembled media "oooed" and "ahhhhed," Duncan at last emerged from the dressing room. He didn't even have to ask what the commotion was about.

"Where'd he make it from now?" Duncan asked us.

Ginobili is still a month and a half away from playing in an NBA game. But, as he proved Thursday, he can still play a mean game of H-O-R-S-E.

#2!
10-23-2008, 10:52 PM
McDonald has stopped plagiarizing articles from other sports news writers...and now plagiarizes himself

duncan228
10-23-2008, 10:53 PM
:lol I didn't know what to do with it. The beginning and the end had different stuff.

tp2021
10-23-2008, 11:01 PM
:lol I didn't know what to do with it. The beginning and the end had different stuff.

:lol

jiggy_55
10-24-2008, 03:04 AM
Mahinmi update: Injured center Ian Mahinmi has begun treadmill work and could be ready for basketball activities in November, Popovich said.

Because Mahinmi has missed all of camp with a sprained right ankle, the Spurs have not ruled out sending him to their Development League affiliate in Austin to open the season.

“At some point in November, he could be playing — either here or in Austin, I don’t know which,” Popovich said. “I do think he’ll be on the court competing before Manu will.”

Question.. Doesn't this technically mean the Spurs could keep all three of Tolliver, Hairston and Farmer and send Mahinmi back to Austin temporarily? Then by mid-November when Mahinmi is healthy again the Spurs would decide maybe which one to waive? Is this possible or am I just totally off?

tp2021
10-24-2008, 03:08 AM
Question.. Doesn't this technically mean the Spurs could keep all three of Tolliver, Hairston and Farmer and send Mahinmi back to Austin temporarily? Then by mid-November when Mahinmi is healthy again the Spurs would decide maybe which one to waive? Is this possible or am I just totally off?

Totally off. To send a player on assignment to Austin, that player must be under contract with the Spurs, thereby taking up a roster spot for the Spurs.

jiggy_55
10-24-2008, 03:12 AM
Totally off. To send a player on assignment to Austin, that player must be under contract with the Spurs, thereby taking up a roster spot for the Spurs.

Well Mahinmi has been sent on assignment to Austin for the past 2 years now.. does that mean he's been taking up a roster spot all this time?

benefactor
10-24-2008, 05:34 AM
This was part of my case for keeping Tolliver. Ian's status is up in the air and we need an extra front line player. Not the best case scenario but if he can pull down a few boards and get us a couple of extra possessions with his hustle that will be good enough for now.

Bruno
10-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Nice to have some Mahinmi's news. At the end, he would have been out nearly 3 months for an ankle sprain. :wow
It should have been a heck of a sprain.

I think sending him in Austin is the best solution. He will have a little training camp and some D-League games in late November and early December to be back in shape.
The biggest priority about Mahinmi is to be evaluated at a NBA level by Spurs' staff and Pop. The evaluation would be quite meaningless if it si doen an a player at less than 100%.

mrspurs
10-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Nice to have some Mahinmi's news. At the end, he would have been out nearly 3 months for an ankle sprain. :wow
It should have been a heck of a sprain.

I think sending him in Austin is the best solution. He will have a little training camp and some D-League games in late November and early December to be back in shape.
The biggest priority about Mahinmi is to be evaluated at a NBA level by Spurs' staff and Pop. The evaluation would be quite meaningless if it si doen an a player at less than 100%.

Ian reminds me of some old lady who never stops trying out for her driver licence.:blah

mrspurs
10-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Oh and great copy and paste duncan228, you sure do have your hands full. hahahahahaha...........

Bender
10-24-2008, 07:42 AM
finally got news on mahinmi...
Wasn't there some complaining in a thread recently about there being no updates on mahinmi? maybe mcdonald browses ST?

:wakeup

:reading

completely deck
10-24-2008, 07:48 AM
I thought it was a well known fact he does.

1Parker1
10-24-2008, 07:50 AM
McDonald has stopped plagiarizing articles from other sports news writers...and now plagiarizes himself

:lol

Bender
10-24-2008, 07:59 AM
I thought it was a well known fact he does.I didn't know, never paid attention, my bad.

thought it was weird there was a thread yesterday complaining about all the constant updates on ginobili, but never any mention of mahinmi...
and presto, the next day, an update on mahinmi...

carina_gino20
10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

:lmao

I actually didn't read the byline and thought it was Monroe and McDonald once again copying off of each other. Then I saw your comment, scrolled up and thought, WTH? :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM

I heard a rumor that you can go blind from doing that too much.

angel_luv
10-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear Gino is recovering well. Prayer helps. :)

I am also glad that he is once again starring in billboards for Time Warner. It is fun spotting them when I drive. :)

Spurs Brazil
10-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Mahinmi was supposed to be back during training camp.

Monroe and McDonald sucks. They can't even get the right type of injury a player has.

It was much bad than they reported. As Bruno said, he's out for almos 3 months