PDA

View Full Version : Kahn: Will Lakers Remain The Best In The West? (Conf. Breakdown)

duncan228
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Will Lakers remain the best in the West? (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8713358/Will-Lakers-remain-the-best-in-the-West)
by Mike Kahn

For the past decade, it didn't take a lot of keen perspective while peering into the foggy crystal ball known as NBA preseason predictions to recognize the uniforms of the San Antonio Spurs. They did win four of nine titles from 1999 to 2007 and were favorites again last season when they came up short in the Western Conference finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.

And it certainly wouldn't be a stretch to put the Spurs in the mix again to win the West. But this time around the Lakers are not coming out of nowhere. They are not just a bunch of upstarts around 2008 MVP Kobe Bryant ... in fact, until their bench's collapse in the Finals to the Celtics in June, many believed them to have the best depth in the NBA.

So as we take a look at the West this time around, it's impossible not to have great expectations for the Lakers with Bryant, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom and Co. playing for coach Phil Jackson, who just happens to have the best winning percentage of all time in both the regular season and postseason.

But once the Spurs do get Manu Ginobili back from ankle surgery to join Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, they will again be formidable by the postseason. Add the immeasurably tough and mercurial Ron Artest to Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, and it would be ignorant to ignore the Houston Rockets.

Before we get too far into this, let's not forget about the New Orleans Hornets, whom nobody believed in last season, only to see them nearly knock off the Spurs in the semifinals behind their no-longer underrated combination of Chris Paul and David West. Always looming will be the Utah Jazz, with their own explosive combo of Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer as favorites to win the Northwest Division.

A lot of people may believe the Dallas Mavericks and Denver Nuggets have seen better days, but let's give Mavs owner Mark Cuban some credit for bringing in a special coaching staff led by Rick Carlisle, Dwane Casey and Terry Stotts that will certainly prove whether it can change the course of a team. Meanwhile, the Nuggets will try again for coach George Karl to see if they can ride the wave of Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony to outscore everybody.

Finally, lurking in the bushes is that young squad of great expectations better known as Nate McMillan's "Kiddy Corps" in Portland, now that they've added Greg Oden and Rudy Fernandez to the superb young twosome of Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge. It's hard to fathom what is too much or too little to anticipate from this group.

Nonetheless, it's tough not to anticipate all of them must go through the Lakers first.

1. Los Angeles Lakers

OK, Lakers fans, you can start breathing again now that it is apparent Kobe Bryant's knee hyperextension this week was a false alarm. The more interesting analysis will be whether or not Phil Jackson opts to bring Lamar Odom off the bench, how well Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum will fit together, and whether Jordan Farmar is ready to take over as the starting point guard.

2. San Antonio Spurs

Not by the white hair on his chinny, chin, chin, will coach Gregg Popovich take his foot off the gas while pushing these guys defensively and confidence-wise back to the precipice of another conference crown. Tim Duncan may not be what he once was, but Tony Parker is better and Manu Ginobili may be better than ever after surgery. The questions surround everybody else.

3. Houston Rockets

Everything begins with the health of Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, the annual questions from the opening tip. But Ron Artest gives them a stronger base, and Rick Adelman proved last season that he is the perfect coach for this team and the role players respond accordingly. If Rafer Alston grows up as the point guard, they've got a chance to win it all this season.

4. New Orleans Hornets

Maybe this is not fair to the Hornets considering they were within a whisker of the top seed a year ago. But Chris Paul and David West have to prove they can stay healthy and play at a high level consecutive seasons. Has Tyson Chandler grown his game beyond rebounding and catching Paul's lob passes? James Posey will help, but coach Byron Scott needs more from his bench.

5. Utah Jazz

Every year the presumption is Jerry Sloan is the most underrated coach and the Jazz are the sleeper team to win the West. This season may be no different, but expectations are much higher for Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer and the mystery that is Andrei Kirilenko. Mehmet Okur and Kyle Korver will hit jumpers, and they will be tough. But good enough to win the West? Uh-uh.

6. Dallas Mavericks

They'll have a training camp with Jason Kidd now, Dirk Nowitzki is still the best shooting 7-footer we've ever seen and the coaching staff led by Rick Carlisle should be a difference-maker. But what about the bizarre turn of events that has changed Josh Howard's effectiveness? The rest of the team certainly has to prove itself too. They're still dangerous, but no longer daunting.

7. Phoenix Suns

It seems as if the Suns have done everything but change their name. With Terry Porter replacing Mike D'Antoni as coach, along with Shaquille O'Neal now in the middle and Amare Stoudemire at power forward, it's a different deal for aging point guard Steve Nash. As bright, experienced and likeable as GM Steve Kerr is, this will be an interesting test for him.

8. Portland Trail Blazers

To put the Blazers in this spot seems bold, and perhaps too much for coach Nate McMillan. Greg Oden is healthy and growing in confidence as the young center of the future, alongside Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge. Kevin Pritchard appears to be a master architect, including Spanish star Rudy Fernandez. Everything is in place except actually winning, so when will it be?

9. Denver Nuggets

The Nuggets are really difficult to get a handle on for now and the future. With Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony, nobody is more explosive offensively, plus Kenyon Martin and Nene — if they happen to be healthy for a change — give them a presence inside. This is a great test for coach George Karl.

10. Los Angeles Clippers

Now Mike Dunleavy is officially coach and general manager. Now it's his team of Baron Davis, Marcus Camby, Chris Kaman and Al Thornton to prove they are more than an interesting ornament in the West. If they stay healthy, they can challenge to make the top eight. Dunleavy has spent five seasons trying to dispel the notion they are destined to lose. He's still trying.

11. Golden State Warriors

Having lost Baron Davis to free agency and Monta Ellis to a moped accident for at least a couple of months, this is a different team for Don Nelson that will be no less inclined to run — just more inclined to lose. Adding Corey Maggette brings some firepower, but they are very young and internal problems have surfaced. After a brief reprieve, the old W's are back.

12. Minnesota Timberwolves

Maybe with Fred Hoiberg more involved in the shaping of the roster they'll have better luck than with Kevin McHale. The good news is they've added Mike Miller and Kevin Love to play with Al Jefferson. That's encouraging. If Randy Foye or Sebastian Telfair would suddenly blossom, they'd have a chance. It's not going to happen for coach Randy Wittman.

13. Sacramento Kings

Geoff Petrie has spent the past few years reconstructing this team while the Maloof brothers have been unable to get an arena construction going. Both seem doomed to failure for at least this season, as Reggie Theus is still trying to get his feet on the ground coaching this team. Kevin Martin is a great scorer and John Salmons better than people think. That's about it.

14. Memphis Grizzlies

The funny thing is Marc Gasol gives them much-needed toughness inside and if they had just kept his brother Pau, they might actually be decent. Instead, they'll be counting almost solely on the young trio of Rudy Gay, O.J. Mayo and Mike Conley, who are years away from being able to lead anybody anywhere in this league. Good thing expectations are so low.

15. Oklahoma City Thunder

Whatever they wanted to call this team stolen from the hearts and minds of Seattle SuperSonics fans, the OKC fans will get a firsthand view of what it's like to see a terrible team, and an unhappy overmatched coach in P.J. Carlesimo. Sure, Kevin Durant may be destined for greatness, Jeff Green much goodness and Russell Westbrook will be fun. Enjoy the 25 wins.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I like the notion (since I generally subscribe to it) that the surgery will end up being more of a net positive for Manu than any negative it might create as a result of his missing games early. The idea that Manu might be better than ever strikes me as a realistic assessment if, as I had read back in the summertime, the surgery was necessary to correct a problem that had been present for years. If Manu has done what he's been doing for years now on a bum ankle, the chances that he'll have consistent explosiveness seem good and that should be a scary proposition. Add to that the fact that Manu will save at least a month of wear and tear on his body while coming back to play with an ankle that is finally 100%, and you have the makings of a guy who could be a real difference maker (not that he wasn't already). If Parker is "better than ever" and Duncan maintains this "best shape in years" thing and then they add in Ginobili, I think that there's no better (and certainly no more accomplished) threesome in the West.

MoSpur
10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I too WANT to think that this injury could be a blessing for the Spurs later on, but it seems too easy to think that. Manu does need the rest, but no one knows how is ankle is gonna be when he comes back. He could re-injure it again. I hope he doesn't, but it could happen.

tlongII
10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
The fact that Ginobili will be side-lined for the first 2 months of the season I think eliminates the Spurs from getting the #2 seed in the West. They might be playing like a #2 seed at the end of the season, but they probably will start the playoffs on the road imo.

Allanon
10-24-2008, 01:07 PM
The fact that Ginobili will be side-lined for the first 2 months of the season I think eliminates the Spurs from getting the #2 seed in the West. They might be playing like a #2 seed at the end of the season, but they probably will start the playoffs on the road imo.

I agree with tlong on this, I can't see the Spurs making up for lost time. The easy early schedule while Manu is out will keep them in the Playoffs but probably not enough to keep them in the top 4.

Spurs have been known to win no matter the seed but I think Manu's being out 2 months really hurts the Spurs. Not as badly as it could have but with the West being this tight, a star can't even take 2 weeks off without worrying about losing seeding.

Watching Duncan in the pre-season, he looks fresh. I think this is the year he gets serious MVP consideration again. Maybe his renewed vigor will keep the Spurs chuggin' along.

A good article overall though.

xtremesteven33
10-24-2008, 01:15 PM
If Duncan can put up something like....

23 PPG 12 RPG 5 APG 2 BPG

Hell be considered for MVP

td4mvp21
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Still don't get why Duncan isn't what he once was when he continually bitchslaps every frontcourt in the postseason.

1Parker1
10-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Phil Jackson, who just happens to have the best winning percentage of all time in both the regular season and postseason.

I thought Pop had the most winning % out of any coach?

1Parker1
10-24-2008, 01:20 PM
And how is Tim Duncan not what he once was?? I really do not understand this constant statement by the media. To me, he hasn't lost a step. He's stats may be down, but that's more due to the emergence of Parker and Ginobili in the offense, than by him losing a step.

crc21209
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
I dont understand why you two ppl (u kno who u r) say Manu will be out 2 months. Last I checked hes supposed to return mid-December, which would be a month and a half missed only, so where you people are getting two months I have no idea. Anyway, Tim & Tony can and will carry this team while Manu is out, I guarantee it. Last year we didnt have a younger wing, (Roger Mason) a lighter Michael Finley, a younger backup point guard in George Hill. So in my opinion alot of people are writing the Spurs off this season and I, as a Spurs fan love it. Because every year the media writes off the Spurs and consider them buried and dead, they rise up and prove everybody wrong. We'll be just fine....you'll see....:lobt2::flag:

SpursDynasty
10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
The Lakers can't "remain" the best in the West when they were never the best to begin with! What exactly did they accomplish last season? Win one more regular season game than the Spurs and have a cakewalk to the WCF's? Then face a drained Spurs team who drew a 55-win team in the first round and a 56-win team in the second round while the Lakers played the Nuggets and Jazz. The Spurs got screwed by an NBA-acknowledged missed call in Game 4. In the NBA one missed call or one play can completely change the course of an entire series.

I'm sorry but these Lakers are still a joke. If they were really the best in the West, then that means they were the best in the NBA and they clearly weren't. Just another failed Finals trip for a team that got handed the playoffs. I still don't see what is the big deal about this team. It's still Kobe and a bunch of no-names. Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Is everyone realizing the names on the roster of the team that's getting so much attention? It's more about the name on the front of their jerseys than the names on the back of their jerseys. Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck could be on the Lakers and everyone would pick them as the favorites to win it all.

And I'm sorry but the Hornets (fluke season last year) and Rockets (STILL not out of the first round with McGrady and Yao) are NOT going to do anything this year.

Manufan909
10-24-2008, 04:07 PM
The Lakers can't "remain" the best in the West when they were never the best to begin with! What exactly did they accomplish last season? Win one more regular season game than the Spurs and have a cakewalk to the WCF's? Then face a drained Spurs team who drew a 55-win team in the first round and a 56-win team in the second round while the Lakers played the Nuggets and Jazz. The Spurs got screwed by an NBA-acknowledged missed call in Game 4. In the NBA one missed call or one play can completely change the course of an entire series.

I'm sorry but these Lakers are still a joke. If they were really the best in the West, then that means they were the best in the NBA and they clearly weren't. Just another failed Finals trip for a team that got handed the playoffs. I still don't see what is the big deal about this team. It's still Kobe and a bunch of no-names. Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Is everyone realizing the names on the roster of the team that's getting so much attention? It's more about the name on the front of their jerseys than the names on the back of their jerseys. Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck could be on the Lakers and everyone would pick them as the favorites to win it all.

And I'm sorry but the Hornets (fluke season last year) and Rockets (STILL not out of the first round with McGrady and Yao) are NOT going to do anything this year.

Calm down, son. You can't seriously be trying to convince others that a 2-time Allstar(Pau) is a no-name guy. I'll give you Bynum, since his one monster month made him a legend, since that's all anyone remember because of the timing of his injury. And you can't forget Odom, even if he's about as clutch as Peja.

Plus I'm glad the Spurs don't view Houston and NO like you do, they know those two teams are to be respected, otherwise they'll come out of nowhere, and NO will prove this year last season wasn't a freak accident.

Medvedenko
10-24-2008, 04:26 PM

Dude I love your takes.....I adore them really. Yup, Kobe and a bunch of scrubs beat your spurs last playoffs.....Thanks for acknowledging this. Oh, if healthy the Lakers will be the #1 seed, regardless if anyone in the West is healthy or not.