PDA

View Full Version : Mason Article: Some Spur Of The Moment Feelings

duncan228
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Some Spur of the Moment Feelings (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/23/AR2008102303193.html)
For Mason Jr., Now With San Antonio, Playing the Wizards Was 'Weird'
By Michael Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/mason2.jpg
"We're thrilled to have him," San Antonio Coach Gregg Popovich, left, said of Roger Mason Jr., who left Washington to sign a two-year deal with the Spurs. "He's got great character." (By Mark Duncan -- Associated Press)

SAN ANTONIO -- Before facing the Washington Wizards on Wednesday night, San Antonio Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. thought he'd have the same detached emotions he had the first time he faced the Chicago Bulls or the Toronto Raptors. He had been down this road before, playing against his former teams, and simply expressed his joy for having a seat in the league's version of musical chairs.

But when Mason actually looked from the Spurs' bench to the Wizards' bench on the other end of the court, he thought about the friendships he'd made and the games they'd played during the past two seasons. All of a sudden, a meaningless preseason game offered an opportunity to reflect on how far he has come.

"It was weird. I've played against my old team before -- Chicago, Toronto. But I didn't really play with those teams," Mason said. "I didn't have a role with those teams. I didn't have as many friends on those teams. And it wasn't my hometown team."

Mason left Washington for San Antonio on good terms last summer to sign a two-year, $7.5 million contract. He realized that he likely wouldn't be able to re-sign with Washington after having a breakout season in which he averaged 9.1 points, shot 39.8 percent from three-point range and became the duct tape that helped the team stay together through injuries to Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels.

The Wizards re-signed Arenas and Antawn Jamison for about $160 million last summer, leaving little money. And with Daniels returning and Nick Young entering his second season, Mason's playing time likely would've been reduced as well. So any emotional ties he had with the Wizards had to be replaced with an opportunity to expand his game -- and his pocketbook -- elsewhere.

Mason didn't have to search for long. He had worked out with the Spurs the previous two summers and turned down a three-year deal with them to remain in Washington last season. When the Spurs' attempts to sign free agent guard Corey Maggette failed, they immediately went after Mason.

"Suffice to say, nobody was sad to add Roger to the team," Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich said. "I think last year was a really great year for him under bad circumstances. It was tough for Washington obviously to have Gilbert gone all that time, but it was good for the development of Roger."

Mason, 28, said he was humbled when the Spurs made him an offer before last season, but when they came back to him, it only confirmed what he always believed about himself. "I think they were ahead of the curve as far as what I could be as a player. I think they still are now, knowing that I can do some things that maybe the rest of the league hasn't seen," Mason said. "I always knew. But it's one thing knowing it; it's another thing doing it. I knew that I just needed to catch a break, get lucky and get an opportunity and I got that last year. This year, I'm going to take another step. I think I'm just scratching the surface."

With reigning sixth man of the year Manu Ginóbili out for the first month of the regular season with a left ankle injury, Popovich said he hopes that Mason can provide a similar lift off the bench.

Mason is averaging just 6.2 points on 36.1 shooting in five preseason games, including two starts, but Popovich is pleased with what he has seen. "We're thrilled to have him," Popovich said. "We already knew he could make shots. He's got great character. He's done all those things to the highest standards that we sort of expected."

And after spending most of his life on the East Coast, Mason already is enjoying life in Texas with the warm weather, slower pace and no state income tax. Mason said he is excited about being on a championship contender and playing with three all-stars in Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Ginóbili.

"My personality fits in perfectly down here because I'm a team player," he said. "I know coming in that I can help this team.

"They got to the Western Conference finals last year, but they didn't quite have enough. I want to come here and make a difference. Hopefully get us a championship and another banner."

As for his former team, Mason said, "I'll root for them every time they don't play us."

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-24-2008, 12:46 PM
I hope Mason doesn't lay too many bricks this year.

Vorg
10-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow. Only 36% FG?

Well, I guess it's normal for new Spurs to adjust in the system.