PDA

View Full Version : McCain Advisor Endorses and Votes for Obama!!

Mr. Peabody
10-24-2008, 02:22 PM
The Wall Street Journal today rounds up the horde of prominent Republicans jumping ship to Barack Obama. Now one of McCain's actual advisers has switched sides:

Charles Fried, a professor at Harvard Law School, has long been one of the most important conservative thinkers in the United States. Under President Reagan, he served, with great distinction, as Solicitor General of the United States. Since then, he has been prominently associated with several Republican leaders and candidates, most recently John McCain, for whom he expressed his enthusiastic support in January.

This week, Fried announced that he has voted for Obama-Biden by absentee ballot. In his letter to Trevor Potter, the General Counsel to the McCain-Palin campaign, he asked that his name be removed from the several campaign-related committees on which he serves. In that letter, he said that chief among the reasons for his decision "is the choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."

Ouch ... That Stings
10.24.08 -- 1:15PM By Josh Marshall
Conservative legal scholar and Reagan Solicitor General Charles Fried, who just endorsed Obama, isn't just a Republican. He's actually one of McCain's campaign advisors.

Before they cycle down the memory hole, here's Fried on McCain's Honest and Open Election Committee and Justice Advisory Committee.

Key to his decision was McCain's "choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."

They're all jumping from the ship...!
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

JoeChalupa
10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I also heard McCain has cut off all communications with Michael Murphy who was his chief campaign strategist in 2000. That temper of McCain is showing.

Oh, Gee!!
10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/net/20081024/capt.1e4bfe7fedd82bab5acfee00a3e28cba.jpeg?x=233&y=345&q=85&sig=up3n7KJe.hvbGL73zFKnyg--

JoeChalupa
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Scott McLellan has also endorsed Obama.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Nothing has shocked me more than the Ken "Cakewalk" Adelman endorsement, but this is pretty surprising.

florige
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
If Whottt comes out and endorses Obama I won't even bother watching on election night....

JoeChalupa
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Blame Game begins in the GOP (
I hope that backwards "B" never heals or hopefully develops a nice infection.)

With despair rising even among many of John McCain’s own advisers, influential Republicans inside and outside his campaign are engaged in an intense round of blame-casting and rear-covering — much of it virtually conceding that an Election Day rout is likely.

A McCain interview published Thursday in The Washington Times sparked the latest and most nasty round of finger-pointing, with senior GOP hands close to President Bush and top congressional aides denouncing the candidate for what they said was an unfocused message and poorly executed campaign.
McCain told the Times that the administration “let things get completely out of hand” through eight years of bad decisions about Iraq, global warming, and big spending.

The candidate’s strategists in recent days have become increasingly vocal in interviews and conference calls about what they call unfair news media coverage and Barack Obama’s wide financial advantage — both complaints laying down a post-election storyline for why their own efforts proved ineffectual.

These public comments offer a whiff of an increasingly acrid behind-the-scenes GOP meltdown — a blame game played out through not-for-attribution comments to reporters that operatives know will find their way into circulation.

Top Republican officials have let it be known they are distressed about McCain’s organization. Coordination between the McCain campaign and Republican National Committee, always uneven, is now nearly dysfunctional, with little high-level contact and intelligence-sharing between the two.

“There is no communication,” lamented one top Republican. “It drives you crazy.
At his Northern Virginia headquarters, some McCain aides are already speaking of the campaign in the past tense. Morale, even among some of the heartiest and most loyal staffers, has plummeted. And many past and current McCain advisers are warring with each other over who led the candidate astray.

One well-connected Republican in the private sector was shocked to get calls and resumes in the past few days from what he said were senior McCain aides — a breach of custom for even the worst-off campaigns.

“It’s not an extraordinarily happy place to be right now,” said one senior McCain aide. “I’m not gonna lie. It’s just unfortunate.

IT ain't over by a long shot in my eyes but things are not looking good for Palin/McCain.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
at this point I'm kinda hoping Obama will win just so we can actually lay of the 2800-4000 employees like we've been planning on since Obama got so far ahead in the polls. Its going to be funny because out of 5 possible locations, 2 of them are in liberal/swing states and they are the ones that'll most likely be closed.

lol...idiots voting for a $42 tax cut are going to end up getting a 100% income cut.

RandomGuy
10-24-2008, 02:47 PM
If Whottt comes out and endorses Obama I won't even bother watching on election night....

That would not be a sign of a landslide, but rather the final sign of the Apocolypse. It would be the last sound you heard before the 4 horsemen beat down your door and f*** you up.

RandomGuy
10-24-2008, 02:50 PM
I am voting for Barack Hussein Obama

(crash)

http://smartpei.typepad.com/robert_patersons_weblog/images/4horsemen.jpg

ack! thud! (death weeze)

DarkReign
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
In that letter, he said that chief among the reasons for his decision "is the choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."

Jesus Christ, Im glad somebody agrees with me outside of ST. This guy serves under Reagan and leaves the McCain ticket for the exact reasons I ahve stated hundreds of times. Palin disqualifies voting for McCain if you have any sense of moral conscience, as much as it pains me to give the government to the Dems.

God damn you, McCain. IMO, he would have won this election if he had chosen Lieberman. He would have had my vote instantly.

Its HuffPo, so I'll stew for a bit until this is legitimized.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Jesus Christ, Im glad somebody agrees with me outside of ST. This guy serves under Reagan and leaves the McCain ticket for the exact reasons I ahve stated hundreds of times. Palin disqualifies voting for McCain if you have any sense of moral conscience, as much as it pains me to give the government to the Dems.

God damn you, McCain. IMO, he would have won this election if he had chosen Lieberman. He would have had my vote instantly.

Its HuffPo, so I'll stew for a bit until this is legitimized.You can read Cakewalk Adelman's reasoning in the meantime:

Second is judgment. The most important decision John McCain made in his long campaign was deciding on a running mate.

That decision showed appalling lack of judgment. Not only is Sarah Palin not close to being acceptable in high office—I would not have hired her for even a mid-level post in the arms-control agency. But that selection contradicted McCain’s main two, and best two, themes for his campaign—Country First, and experience counts. Neither can he credibly claim, post-Palin pick.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/21/october-surprise/?ref=opinion

JoeChalupa
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM

Its HuffPo, so I'll stew for a bit until this is legitimized.

But, but...Sarah is firing up the Republican conservative base....is she not?

boutons_
10-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Now that the degregulated/free market bullshit has been fatally exposed as money-grubbing smoke-and-mirrors, they're running as fast as they can from it (well, as soon as they can get they're money out of it), while of course absolving themselves of all responsibility.

Bullshit like "it's good in theory, but the guys practicing it fucked up", which is EXACTLY how western Communists explained the fall of the Communist Russia and its empire.

romad_20
10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
But, but...Sarah is firing up the Republican conservative base....is she not?

Oh yeah, she is

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/adamgonjr/palin.gif

JoeChalupa
10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah, she is

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/adamgonjr/palin.gif

^^RACK THAT!! :lmao

clambake
10-24-2008, 03:28 PM
at this point I'm kinda hoping Obama will win just so we can actually lay of the 2800-4000 employees like we've been planning on since Obama got so far ahead in the polls. Its going to be funny because out of 5 possible locations, 2 of them are in liberal/swing states and they are the ones that'll most likely be closed.

congratulations! your employers are wimps. and you work UNDER them.

romad_20
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM

lol...idiots voting for a $42 tax cut are going to end up getting a 100% income cut.

Wow :wow I see how much you really care with that statement. "Let me punish you people because your political positions don't match up with mine."

No remorse for destroying families?

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow :wow I see how much you really care with that statement. "Let me punish you people because your political positions don't match up with mine."

No remorse for destroying families?

I do care...the more tax monies I save for the company the better MY economy is.

No remorse at all...people need to realize the ramifications of their votes. Not just what it means for them.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM
He's a compassionate conservative.

clambake
10-24-2008, 03:37 PM
I do care...the more tax monies I save for the company the better MY economy is.

i think you're lying. whats the name of this company? do you mind if we track your honesty?

10-24-2008, 03:37 PM

Proof of the "more for me" and "less for them" attitude.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 03:39 PM
i think you're lying. whats the name of this company? do you mind if we track your honesty?

Once I leave the company I'll let you know.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 03:39 PM
He's pretending his company thought the recession would magically end if McCain became president.

Great believers in the paranormal, that lot.

romad_20
10-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Just yours? I mean part of the American spirit is helping out our fellow citizens. Its not like these people are asking for a handout, they are working. I just see what's really important to you and others like you. You'll fly the flag of patriotism and yell about being un-American and then will cut 2000-4000 jobs without remorse, for money.

I understand there are tough financial decisions to be made, but your attitude on here comes across as not giving a shit because those people live in states that might not vote for your candidate. I can't think of anything less American.

10-24-2008, 03:40 PM

You mean once you get laid off?

10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Just yours? I mean part of the American spirit is helping out our fellow citizens. Its not like these people are asking for a handout, they are working. I just see what's really important to you and others like you. You'll fly the flag of patriotism and yell about being un-American and then will cut 2000-4000 jobs without remorse, for money.

I understand there are tough financial decisions to be made, but your attitude on here comes across as not giving a shit because those people live in states that might not vote for your candidate. I can't think of anything less American.

I think Ken needs someone like Tommy Boy who really cares about his employees.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
He's pretending his company thought the recession would magically end if McCain became president.

Great believers in the paranormal, that lot.

No, I'm telling you that we are preparing for a 3-5% tax hike. 3-5% is 8 figures in add'l income tax.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 03:42 PM

:toast:lol:lol

clambake
10-24-2008, 03:43 PM

i don't buy it. sorry, but sounds like another hoax that falls just short of facial carving.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 03:46 PM
The business is otherwise recession proof?

clambake
10-24-2008, 03:48 PM
why do you guys stray so far from the truth?

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 03:51 PM
The business is otherwise recession proof?

No. But it's doing good enough to not have to cut heads because of slight dips in sales.

i don't buy it. sorry, but sounds like another hoax that falls just short of facial carving.

Fine with me...I have nothing to prove to you.

DarkReign
10-24-2008, 03:54 PM
You can read Cakewalk Adelman's reasoning in the meantime:

Second is judgment. The most important decision John McCain made in his long campaign was deciding on a running mate.

That decision showed appalling lack of judgment. Not only is Sarah Palin not close to being acceptable in high office—I would not have hired her for even a mid-level post in the arms-control agency. But that selection contradicted McCain’s main two, and best two, themes for his campaign—Country First, and experience counts. Neither can he credibly claim, post-Palin pick.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/21/october-surprise/?ref=opinion

Damn, thats juicy, too. The resident partisan Republicans here should take stock of some of these endorsements/change of hearts.

These people arent voting for Obama as much as against McCain/Palin. She is a terrible pick and I am just glad that the polls show this to be true and even the staunch neo-cons are giving their heads a shake about it.

It truly is the sole reason McCain is losing this election. What a total disappointment.

clambake
10-24-2008, 03:55 PM
No. But it's doing good enough to not have to cut heads because of slight dips in sales.
elaborate.

Fine with me...I have nothing to prove to you.
thats what i thought.

MannyIsGod
10-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Well I'm a CEO of a company that will lay off 2 billion people if McCain wins.

TAKE THAT

peewee's lovechild
10-24-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm part owner of Wal-Mart.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Well I'm a CEO of a company that will lay off 2 billion people if McCain wins.

TAKE THAT

Congratulations...why would you do that?

I stated the reason for reducing headcount in another thread...maintain the same effective tax rate we are paying currently. In order to do that, a certain amount of US jobs must be shipped overseas in order to be able to allocate more income outside of the US.

clambake
10-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Congratulations...why would you do that?

I stated the reason for reducing headcount in another thread...maintain the same effective tax rate we are paying currently. In order to do that, a certain amount of US jobs must be shipped overseas in order to be able to allocate more income outside of the US.

good. i hope he initiates his plan to tax the fuck out of companies that ship their jobs overseas.

but i doubt he will.

romad_20
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x296/Crandimus/TommyBoy.jpg

This is what a real American looks like.

Really its his "I could give a shit about these people because of politics" attitude that pisses me off more than the actual act of laying people off.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 04:16 PM
The people losing their jobs aren't real Americans anyway....

DarkReign
10-24-2008, 04:17 PM
The people losing their jaws aren't real Americans anyway....

:lmao

3 letter word?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
:lol

I was watching a tv show where somebody broke a jaw.

MannyIsGod
10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Man, not a single tax rate has been raised yet Ken's company is already laying off employees. its a shame he won't mention the name of the company because I'm sure the American people would love to hear this.

Here's what doesnt' make sense, if you can save money by moving jobs overseas why wait until tax rates go up? Why would you seek to keep the same tax rate instead of lowering it? It stands to reason that if a company could make more money by moving jobs overseas then they should do that regardless of who wins the election, doesn't it Ken?

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 04:25 PM
That's why I said the jobs will be cut anyway. Any excuse will do.

DarkReign
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Man, not a single tax rate has been raised yet Ken's company is already laying off employees. its a shame he won't mention the name of the company because I'm sure the American people would love to hear this.

Here's what doesnt' make sense, if you can save money by moving jobs overseas why wait until tax rates go up? Why would you seek to keep the same tax rate instead of lowering it? It stands to reason that if a company could make more money by moving jobs overseas then they should do that regardless of who wins the election, doesn't it Ken?

....unless of course its fabricated.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Ken will eventually cut his own job. Indians can figure taxes too.

JoeChalupa
10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
Former Mass. GOP Gov. Weld Endorses Obama. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/24/former-mass-gop-gov-weld_n_137459.html)

Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, a Republican, is endorsing Democrat Barack Obama for president, citing the senator's steady leadership, good judgment and ability to unify Democrats, Republicans and independents.

"Senator Obama is a once-in-a-lifetime candidate who will transform our politics and restore America's standing in the world," Weld said in a statement released Friday. "We need a president who will lead based on our common values and Senator Obama demonstrates an ability to unite and inspire.

More and more are seeing the validity of Barack Obama.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 04:41 PM

It's about maintaining the same effective tax rate, not making more money. That is for people in other lines of work. I just do tax planning.

No jobs have been cut yet, and plans won't be put into motion until taxes are raised. The company is at a rate that they are comfortable with now. If Obama wins AND raises taxes, plans made today will be put into motion. If he wins and DOES NOT raise taxes (he has mentioned it in a couple of interviews), most likely nothing will happen since the more jobs you outsource, the less cash you can bring back to the US.

MannyIsGod
10-24-2008, 04:46 PM
It's about maintaining the same effective tax rate, not making more money. That is for people in other lines of work. I just do tax planning.

No jobs have been cut yet, and plans won't be put into motion until taxes are raised. The company is at a rate that they are comfortable with now. If Obama wins AND raises taxes, plans made today will be put into motion. If he wins and DOES NOT raise taxes (he has mentioned it in a couple of interviews), most likely nothing will happen since the more jobs you outsource, the less cash you can bring back to the US.

Man, it took all of page 2 before your story changed completely.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Man, it took all of page 2 before your story changed completely.

:rolleyesWhatever...READ my first post. I said PLANNING.

MannyIsGod
10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
The point of your first post was that if Obama wins layoffs are coming.

The point of your latest post was entirely different saying it had to do with tax raises which at the earliest wouldn't take effect for nearly a year and thats being extremely optimistic.

KenMcCoy
10-24-2008, 05:13 PM
OK...you're right. There are two threads with pretty much the same conversation, my first post in the other one was a little bit more clear.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107817

spurster
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
My understanding was that Obama wants to eliminate loopholes, not raise the tax rate. What loophole is your company depending upon?