PDA

View Full Version : Later drinking hours rejected

Clandestino
02-16-2005, 08:04 AM
i personally believe there shouldn't be any drinking hours... when you restrict drinking it usually causes people to drink faster...

Web Posted: 02/16/2005 12:00 AM CST

Roger Croteau
San Antonio Express-News

SEGUIN — The City Council on Tuesday night rejected an effort to extend drinking hours to 2 a.m. at bars in the city limits.

Councilman Manuel Cevallos brought the issue to the council, saying several residents had requested it.

"I thought it should at least be considered," Cevallos said before the 5-3 vote.

Councilmen Cevallos, Javier Cuevas and Bruno Martinez supported the later hours.

Seguin bars and restaurants must stop serving alcohol at midnight every night except Saturday, when last call is 1 a.m.

Cevallos said many factory workers in the city work the 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. shift, so if they want to socialize at a bar after work, they have to drive to San Antonio.

He said later bar hours could attract new hotels and restaurants to the city and keep sales tax revenue at home.

Cevallos said that if people stay in town to drink, they would not drive as far, so the later hours actually could make the roads safer.

"I also want to make Seguin a destination," he said.

That comment did not sit well with 12-year-old resident William Williams.

"Do we want to be a destination for drunkards?" he asked the council. "I say it's not worth it. That's not the city I want to be a citizen of."

Speakers were evenly split on the issue, with several bar owners arguing that local establishments keep a closer eye on customers to make sure they are safe to drive than is possible at bigger San Antonio bars.

Councilman Rodger Weyel said he got many calls from people opposed to the change.

"If you put it up to the people of Seguin, it would be voted down 10 to 1," he said.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-16-2005, 10:23 AM
These are the same hours in San Marcos, so most drinkers simply go to Austin.

jalbre6
02-16-2005, 12:31 PM
That comment did not sit well with 12-year-old resident William Williams.

"Do we want to be a destination for drunkards?" he asked the council. "I say it's not worth it. That's not the city I want to be a citizen of."

A 12 year old said that?

Clandestino
02-16-2005, 01:12 PM
A 12 year old said that?

haha! that is what i was thinking.. i wonder who put him up to that... i would've slapped him and said, "just because you want to have a drink past 11 or whatever doesn't make you a drunk beeyatch!" :lol

MannyIsGod
02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
I agree, all you do with drinking hours is force all the drunks out at the same time.