PDA

View Full Version : Popovich described Duncan's status for tonight's game as "double doubtful "

ducks
02-16-2005, 08:52 AM
All signs point to Duncan sitting
Web Posted: 02/16/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW ORLEANS — It's not every day one of the pope's advisors shows up on your doorstep, but that's what the Spurs found Tuesday morning when they arrived for practice.

Cardinal Jose Luis Cipriani, in town to attend the installation of San Antonio's new archbishop, stopped by the Spurs' practice facility to watch their workout in preparation for tonight's game against the Hornets. Though the presence of clergy forced P.J. Carlesimo to eliminate about three-fourths of his vocabulary, the team warmly welcomed its visitor.

Cipriani, who hails from Lima, Peru, apparently used to be something of a player himself. He spoke to coach Gregg Popovich about his defensive philosophies and, to prove he hadn't completely lost his touch, even made three consecutive 17-foot jump shots.

Tim Duncan gladly posed for photos with the cardinal, though he wasn't just being polite.

"I was trying to get some kind of blessing," Duncan said. "With all the nicks and dings I have, I need something."
Popovich thinks Duncan needs a rest. But nicks and dings being nicks and dings, Duncan wants to play tonight.

"I'm absolutely fine," Duncan said. "I'll keep playing if he lets me."

Popovich seemed more inclined to allow Duncan to play in the team's final game before the All-Star break than he was a day earlier. Monday, he expressed concern Duncan's sprained right ankle wasn't healing and said he also would consider keeping him out of Sunday's All-Star Game.

"He may not be as tired or needy as I think he is," Popovich said. "He just wants to keep competing. We'll have to keep talking about it."

Popovich described Duncan's status for tonight's game as "double doubtful and double probable divided by a 'no way.'"

"'No way' is like a zero," Popovich said. "And I don't think you can divide by zero. Figure that one out."

Duncan missed two games last week after spraining his ankle in practice. He also hyper-extended his left knee against the Los Angeles Lakers on Feb. 3.

Neither his ankle nor his knee is completely healed, said Duncan, who also has played with a sore hip.

"I would love to go out there and play," he said. "Would it be the smart thing not to play? Probably. But I've never been accused of doing the smart thing."

Duncan wanted to play Wednesday against Washington, but Popovich rested him until Friday's game against New York. He also played in Sunday's loss to Miami, missing 20 of 30 shots in the two games.

Popovich thought Duncan lacked explosiveness and said Duncan's ankle didn't appear strong enough to let him pivot or hold his spot defensively.

"In the heat of the game, I'm not thinking about it," Duncan said. "What little explosion I usually have, I don't have that. I don't have the full strength I usually have. But, hopefully, it's all playable."

After tonight, the Spurs have six days off. While the break affords most of his teammates a nice chance to rest, Duncan was voted to start on the West's All-Star team. Even if he couldn't play because of injury, NBA officials likely would require him to attend Friday's media session and other All-Star-related functions.

"It would be nice to have that time off and have some recovery time," Duncan said, "but I don't know if that's going to work."

As the West's coach, Popovich will have the leeway to play Duncan as little as he likes, though none of the players usually log heavy minutes.

"If I go any less," Duncan said, "I won't be dressing."

Duncan figures to be in uniform tonight. He didn't have any problems during Tuesday's workout. And the team's medical staff doesn't seem to be too concerned about him playing.

Popovich will get another chance to evaluate Duncan at this morning's shootaround. Duncan also will have the opportunity to lobby his case.

"We're both trying to do the best," Popovich said. "He cares more about the playoffs than this stuff now. He's a smart man. We'll just get through it."

Phenomanul
02-16-2005, 09:07 AM
All signs point to Duncan sitting
Web Posted: 02/16/2005 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Popovich described Duncan's status for tonight's game as "double doubtful and double probable divided by a 'no way.'"

"'No way' is like a zero," Popovich said. "And I don't think you can divide by zero. Figure that one out."

Dividing by zero should mean yes since the answer is "infinity"..... :angel :fro

SpursWoman
02-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Though the presence of clergy forced P.J. Carlesimo to eliminate about three-fourths of his vocabulary, the team warmly welcomed its visitor.

:cuss :cuss :lol :lol

boutons
02-16-2005, 09:58 AM
No Duncan,

Spurs playing a celllar-dweller lottery team away from the Spurs' SBC crib,

SA's inability to play just average ball consistently against lottery teams,

A Bad Combination of Factors.

Looks like a 0-4 week (going 1-3 thanks to Vince).

TDMVPDPOY
02-16-2005, 10:10 AM
double trouble :( :(

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 10:12 AM
New Orleans can beat SA tonight if Pop sits TD down. This is BS...the onlr reason TD is sitting out is because he does not want to play in AS game. NO beat Washington, they can beat SA w/o TD. If SA loses, SA will have lost 3 of last 4 going into the AS break and they can not make ammends for that for 1 whole week...that could send them into a tailspin. Teams like Houston and Phoenix are playing great ball and playing through injuries and fatigue, but the pussified Spurs are all crying that they are hurt and tired.....well every team is tired, and every great team plays through injuries. So suck it up TD and play.

Rummpd
02-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Insane post, if TD is at all banged up sit him.

Spurs have plenty left to beat NO period we are not talking a top team here.

MosesGuthrie
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Its February against the Hornets...who the fuck cares? Duncan sat against Charlotte and should have been sitting ever since. I never ever want to see the Spurs lose but better to lose games now than lose Duncan later. The Spurs are still going to the playoffs and that is what matters. It has been proven that grabbing the #1 seed does not guarantee a title (See SA Spurs 1995). If there was ever a meaningless regular season game, this is it.

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Its February against the Hornets...who the fuck cares? Duncan sat against Charlotte and should have been sitting ever since. I never ever want to see the Spurs lose but better to lose games now than lose Duncan later. The Spurs are still going to the playoffs and that is what matters. It has been proven that grabbing the #1 seed does not guarantee a title (See SA Spurs 1995). If there was ever a meaningless regular season game, this is it.

Have the Spurs ever won the title w/o the #1 seed?

No.

The last two years, the difference betw the #1 and #2 seed has been only one game. I firmly believe that Sa would have won the title last year with the #1 seed. They would have beaten Sacto in round 2, and then played Lakers-Minn winner in WCFs and they would have beaten LA then because the .4 sec game would never have happened.

TD is not that hurt...he is running up and down the court, he spinning on both legs, he is going for loose balls and he is rebounding the basketball.

DRob played in a lot more pain than TD and he did not have near the supporting cast that TD has.

If you think New Orleans is going to be easy w/o TD, you could be in for a rude awakening. They have been play a lot better lately and played SA pretty well in the last game, actually being within 2 pts in the 4th Q.

san antonio spurs
02-16-2005, 11:12 AM

No.

The last two years, the difference betw the #1 and #2 seed has been only one game. I firmly believe that Sa would have won the title last year with the #1 seed. They would have beaten Sacto in round 2, and then played Lakers-Minn winner in WCFs and they would have beaten LA then because the .4 sec game would never have happened.

TD is not that hurt...he is running up and down the court, he spinning on both legs, he is going for loose balls and he is rebounding the basketball.

DRob played in a lot more pain than TD and he did not have near the supporting cast that TD has.

If you think New Orleans is going to be easy w/o TD, you could be in for a rude awakening. They have been play a lot better lately and played SA pretty well in the last game, actually being within 2 pts in the 4th Q.

crazy to found such amount of crap and stupidity in such small paragraphs.
wonder what might happen if u write a book, essay or something.
eeeeeewwww scary :hang
________
AlexaShy (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/AlexaShy/)

DuncanMVP
02-16-2005, 11:14 AM
duncan needs to sit, if we cant beat the damn hornets without him we d3eserve to lose

Experiment2100
02-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Dividing by zero should mean yes since the answer is "infinity"..... :angel :fro

Dividing by zero is impossible, not infinity.

td4mvp21
02-16-2005, 11:54 AM
i dont care what he does he has been playing like crap practically the whole season and its getting frustrating. we cant rely on parker and ginobili for the rest of the season. Duncan just happens to be one very blessed guy to have two other teammates having all star season and averaging 16 points a game. He needs to get back to the old Duncan VERY soon or else we will have trouble in the playoffs. As of right now it doesnt look very good at all. And yes, it is rude of us to complain because we dont have to play every other night through injuries, but come on, this has been going on since earlly December.

dcole50
02-16-2005, 11:58 AM

if duncan plays while hurt, he could be the victim of a season ending injury. that's much worse than one possible loss.

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 12:01 PM
crazy to found such amount of crap and stupidity in such small paragraphs.
wonder what might happen if u write a book, essay or something.
eeeeeewwww scary :hang

Do you argue with the facts? SA is 2-1 with #1 seed. They are 0-22 without the #1 seed.

The regular season is very very important to this franchise. I do not think TD taking 1 game off will have any affect on his health...how is that possible? Tell me...please. If he is really injured, let the Spurs come right out and say it...put him on IR and do not let him play for a month...this BS of holding him out of one game just so he can miss the AS game is a load od crap, you know it.

td4mvp21
02-16-2005, 12:11 PM
well if we put him on the IR then he is gonna come out VERY rusty and he will be all weak and stuff. Either way its a lose-lose situation. If we sit him out for one game, we may lose. If we sit him out for a while, we may lose standings, and like Jim said, the number one seed is VERY important. The way the Spurs are playing on the road right now(which isnt great, but isnt terrible), we need homecourt advantage throughout the WHOLE playoffs. We dont really do good if we arent number 1 seed. But if we are really meant to win the title, then I think things will start to fall into place, and sadly, that isnt happening right now.

Phenomanul
02-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Dividing by zero is impossible, not infinity.

My bad... the limit of 1/x as x approaches zero "does not exist"

I prematurely said infinity because the limit of 1/x as x approaches zero from the right is in fact infinity... positive infinity anyways.

but the limit of 1/x as x approaches zero from the left is negative infinity....

since right at zero the split is undefined, again reiterating:

the limit of 1/x as x approaches zero "does not exist"

wildbill2u
02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Do we have a chance to beat NO without TD? Yes.

Will Pop balance that against the advantage of giving TD injuries some time to heal? Yes.

Is wiining this game more important than getting him well? Not at this stage of the season although every game counts in the final standings.

FromWayDowntown
02-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Do you argue with the facts? SA is 2-1 with #1 seed. They are 0-22 without the #1 seed.

I'm sure, like most of us, you've blocked out that 2001 horror, but SA is 2-2 with the #1 seed.

. . . as for the issue, if Tim is at all dinged and could benefit from a night off to get a full week of rest, you take your chances. You might not win the game, but it will go a long way towards winning the war.

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm sure, like most of us, you've blocked out that 2001 horror, but SA is 2-2 with the #1 seed.

. . . as for the issue, if Tim is at all dinged and could benefit from a night off to get a full week of rest, you take your chances. You might not win the game, but it will go a long way towards winning the war.

I do not count that year because we did not field the same team that we had in reg season because of the injury. We would have won it all that year had we had our player healthy.

My point is, this team has no history of winning w/o HCA in the playoffs, and I do not think this particular team can beat both Seattle and Phoenix w/o HCA back to back.

But, if TD is really injured, then stop fucking around and put him on IR for 5 games, which would be about 2 wks rest and that might get him to 100%.

MosesGuthrie
02-16-2005, 04:57 PM

No.

If you think New Orleans is going to be easy w/o TD, you could be in for a rude awakening. They have been play a lot better lately and played SA pretty well in the last game, actually being within 2 pts in the 4th Q

You missed my point. The point was that getting the number one seed does not guarantee a title. Just because you get it doesn't mean you will win it all and just because you don't get it doesn't mean you can't win it all.

As far as the NO game, where in my post did I say the Hornets would be easy if the Spurs did not have Duncan? where in this thread did I say the Hornets would be easy if the Spurs did not have Duncan? Where on this message board did I say that the Hornets would be easy if the Spurs did not have Duncan? You need to stop making shit up and stick to what is actually said.

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 05:01 PM
By "you" I was taking to the majority in here.(Look at prediction thread) that think NO will be a cake walk to beat with or w/o TD....I beg to differ, is all.

I know the #1 seed does not guarantee a championship, but as I said, SA can not beat Seattle and Phoenix back to back w/o HCA, that is my point.

T Park
02-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Derek Anderson???

Did you watch him vs Minnesota??

He was horrible. He stunk in the playoffs.

I love though you and Bouton's optimism.

Im sure the Spurs share it :rolleyes

SLOVENIAN 8
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I hope that Nachbar will play good, but Spurs must win!!!! Rasho 16 pts, 12 reb :smokin

td4mvp21
02-16-2005, 05:56 PM
^ I think that is over reaching.

Phenomanul
02-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Derek Anderson???

Did you watch him vs Minnesota??

He was horrible. He stunk in the playoffs.

I love though you and Bouton's optimism.

Im sure the Spurs share it :rolleyes

Derek Anderson is no longer the same player he was before he left the Spurs...

Jimcs50
02-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Insane post, if TD is at all banged up sit him.

Spurs have plenty left to beat NO period we are not talking a top team here.

"He's adamant that he doesn't want to miss any more games," Popovich said before tipoff. "I'll worry about it, but I'll respect that he knows his body better than anybody else."

Do not argue with me anymore about things that I know about.

:smokin