PDA

View Full Version : Dallas to get new QB?

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Updated: Feb. 15, 2005, 11:15 PM ET

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
With the Buffalo Bills poised to elevate second-year quarterback J.P. Losman to the starting job for 2005, ESPN.com has confirmed that the team will announce the release of 12-year veteran Drew Bledsoe on Wednesday afternoon, allowing him to become a free agent and continue his career with another team.

The imminent release was reported by ESPN.com last Friday in the Tip Sheet and also by ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The decision to move forward with Losman, a first-round choice in 2004 who missed most of the season while recovering from a broken leg, was actually made weeks ago. But club officials, particularly in discussions between Bledsoe and coach Mike Mularkey last week, afforded the classy veteran the opportunity to consider returning to the team as a backup, and at a reduced salary.

After deliberating over the weekend, Bledsoe told the Bills he preferred to be released. The team, which is very sensitive to Bledsoe, respects him greatly, and certainly wants to do right by him, will honor his wishes. It is believed that Bills owner Ralph Wilson will attend the press conference.

Technically, Bledsoe cannot officially be released until next Tuesday, when the NFL's offseason moratorium on roster moves lapses.

ESPN.com has learned that there were discussions between the Bills and Dallas Cowboys officials in recent days about a potential trade. It is not known if the Cowboys opted not to pursue those talks or if Bledsoe advised the Bills he did not wanted to be traded. Such a deal would have reunited Bledsoe with Bill Parcells, the coach who brought him into the league as the first overall prospect selected in the 1993 draft.

Bledsoe played nine seasons for the Patriots until he was traded to the Bills in 2002 for a first-round draft choice. Bledsoe had suffered a serious chest injury in his final season with the Pats and lost his starting job to Tom Brady at that point.

There is still the possibility, of course, that Bledsoe could sign with the Cowboys as an unrestricted free agent. If he were to wind up in Dallas, there would be some irony to such a relocation. It was the Cowboys who dealt Buffalo a first-round pick in the '04 draft, and the extra selection was used by the Bills to grab Losman.

Several sources close to Bledsoe said he does not plan to retire.

After a couple of weeks at home in California, Losman arrived back at the Bills complex early last week, ahead of his teammates, to begin offseason workouts. Always a very hard worker, there was a reason for Losman to be the early bird in the weight room, since two sources told ESPN.com that he had been apprised of his pending ascent to starter's status.

The Bills will move forward without Drew Bledsoe.
Bledsoe, 33, had restructured his contract last spring to remain with the Bills for 2004. He was due a $1.05 million roster bonus in early March, and base salary of $3.3 million for 2005, and had a salary cap charge of $6 million-plus.

The decision to release Bledsoe now, though, is not so much a function of finances as it is the need by Buffalo to move in a different direction. The Bills feel they have gone as far as they can with Bledsoe and that they have to change the offensive dymanic in 2005 to close the gap between themselves and New England. They view the instant success of Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh this season as validation that you can, indeed, win with a young quarterback when you surround him with solid talent.

Losman appeared in just four games in 2004, all cameos, and threw only five passes. But Mularkey and his staff are enamored of Losman, from both the physical and intangibles standpoints, and are ready to make the transition.

For his career, Bledsoe has appeared in 172 games and started all but one of them. He has completed 3,449 of 6,049 passes for 39,808 yards, with 221 touchdown passes, and 181 interceptions, with a career passer rating of 76.7. Bledsoe eight times threw for more than 3,000 yards and twice for 4,000-plus yards.

This would be a great pickup for Dallas. Drew is a lot younger than Vinnie and a lot better QB. I know he did not get along with Tuna when they were together in NE, but now that Bledsoe is older and wiser, he probably respects Bill a lot more and will do fine with him.

Hook Dem
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Dallas could do worse. I don't know if this is the answer but it would be an improvement over Testeverde. I wish they could get Brees.

IceColdBrewski
02-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I don't see the improvement over Testeverde at all. Both are second teir, slow immobile QB's.

Hook Dem
02-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't see the improvement over Testeverde at all. Both are second teir, slow immobile QB's.
Vision blinded by having McNabb. So was Jaworski. Or can you remember?

IceColdBrewski
02-16-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm all for the Cowboys signing Bledsoe. A defense like the one Philly uses will eat him for lunch. Bledsoe takes too much time to get rid of the ball. A good dose of saftey or corner blitz packages is all it takes for a guy like Bledsoe.

Hook Dem
02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Nice.

Louae
02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
If the price is right, I'd be all for signing him up. But what pisses me off about the cowboys is their decision to switch to the 3-4 defense.

Ballcox
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Just fucking great, we bring in a younger version of Testaverde to replace the older version of Testaverde. I just don't see how this works for the Cowboys, there is now way a QB like Bledsoe is going to be effective lying on his ass most of the time behind a Cowboys OL that couldn't pass protect for shit. This move could be another VERY poor decision by the Cowboys. I'm beginning to get real tired of bring in Parcells 'guys' (players who are older and slower and more injury prone) and shipping out our young guys (players who are younger, have more potential to develop, not as injury prone, etc.). The Cowboys need to make a decision at QB, a definitive decision, not bringing in someone who just fills in for a while. So, Henson is either that guy or he isn't. If he isn't cut your loses and go after a QB in the draft or package your two #1 draft picks and get yourself a real starting QB through free agency. This QB crap combined with a potential switch to a 3-4 D is just pushing the window for a return to the playoffs further and further away. I also agree with the Eagles fan above on Bledsoe, teams with quick/fast defenses like the Eagles would eat Bledsoe for lunch. I'm done with my rant....

respect the 'fro :fro

Duff McCartney
02-16-2005, 04:32 PM
The decision to release Bledsoe now, though, is not so much a function of finances as it is the need by Buffalo to move in a different direction.

Fuck that nonsense. If Buffalo is moving in a direction AWAY from Drew Bledsoe then the Cowboys don't need to move in a direction TOWARDS Drew Bledsoe.

There is a Drew the Cowboys need to get...Drew Brees. But we all know Tuna has already pencilled Vinny as a start for next season and 2006.

Hook Dem
02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Well......what say we get rid of Parcells while we're at it? I think his methods are outdated today and he got left in a pile of dust!

jalbre6
02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Fuck that nonsense. If Buffalo is moving in a direction AWAY from Drew Bledsoe then the Cowboys don't need to move in a direction TOWARDS Drew Bledsoe.

Wholeheartedly agree.

If he were to wind up in Dallas, there would be some irony to such a relocation. It was the Cowboys who dealt Buffalo a first-round pick in the '04 draft, and the extra selection was used by the Bills to grab Losman.

Jesus, this is like watching a train wreck. Jerry, here's a starting place for you.

1-drop Bill, go hire Norm Chen away from Tennessee as head coach

2- sign Brees

3- draft Troy Williamson and Dan Cody

4- move Glover to nose guard in 3-4

Ballcox
02-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Jesus, this is like watching a train wreck. Jerry, here's a starting place for you.

1-drop Bill, go hire Norm Chen away from Tennessee as head coach

2- sign Brees

3- draft Troy Williamson and Dan Cody

4- move Glover to nose guard in 3-4

Agree with the first three, but Glover is too small to play the NG spot in a 3-4 defense. The worst part about that is he's one the real leaders for this Cowboys team, if we go to a 3-4 base defense, Glover will either have to move to a DE spot or get traded. I guess the one positive is that he's still a solid pro-bowl type player, Cowboys could probably get some nice additions to their team in return for Glover.

MosesGuthrie
02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Norm Chow, maybe?

jalbre6
02-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Norm Chow, maybe?

Yup, you're right. My bad.

IceColdBrewski
02-16-2005, 08:47 PM
I was reading on cbssportsline.com that the Chargers are going to tag Brees.

Duff McCartney
02-16-2005, 08:54 PM
They are making a huge mistake. They simply can't do that..they are paying too much money for both their quarterbacks and they can't let either one of them ride the bench.

N.Y. Johnny
02-16-2005, 09:10 PM
The Charger QB Dallas could get is Rivers, cause Brees is going to be Franchised and the Chargers would be idiots to go turn that team after what they did last year to a complete uknown in Rivers over the Vet Brees.
I think Parcells will sign up Bledsoe in Dallas to lead them on. Vinny is a free agent and as much as Bill would love to have him start again in 05' I think Vinny will end up backing up Pennington again for the Jets.

Do you Cowboys fans like Bledsoe in Dallas as the QB? I mean he might be a little better than Vinny, but not a quantum leap. Bill and his "Old" QB's :lol
maybe he can find Y.A. Tittle and get him to come back if he's still alive

Duff McCartney
02-18-2005, 08:28 PM
If it was up to Bill...he'd probably have Phill Simms back again.

Faccia di Angelo
02-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Just fucking great, we bring in a younger version of Testaverde to replace the older version of Testaverde. I just don't see how this works for the Cowboys, there is now way a QB like Bledsoe is going to be effective lying on his ass most of the time behind a Cowboys OL that couldn't pass protect for shit. This move could be another VERY poor decision by the Cowboys. I'm beginning to get real tired of bring in Parcells 'guys' (players who are older and slower and more injury prone) and shipping out our young guys (players who are younger, have more potential to develop, not as injury prone, etc.). The Cowboys need to make a decision at QB, a definitive decision, not bringing in someone who just fills in for a while. So, Henson is either that guy or he isn't. If he isn't cut your loses and go after a QB in the draft or package your two #1 draft picks and get yourself a real starting QB through free agency. This QB crap combined with a potential switch to a 3-4 D is just pushing the window for a return to the playoffs further and further away. I also agree with the Eagles fan above on Bledsoe, teams with quick/fast defenses like the Eagles would eat Bledsoe for lunch. I'm done with my rant....

Have to agree. Lets just replace one old quarterback with another old quarterback. Thats the way to do it. Why don't they work on their young guys and try developing them. What are they seeing that we don't?

N.Y. Johnny
02-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Have to agree. Lets just replace one old quarterback with another old quarterback. Thats the way to do it. Why don't they work on their young guys and try developing them. What are they seeing that we don't?

I think its because Parcells Does NOT like Henson and does not like what he sees in him. I think thats going to be a clash in Big D there with Parcells and Jerry Jones.
Remember Jerry Jones boy is Henson and if Parcells don't think he can cut it and goes another direction there's going to be trouble

scott
02-18-2005, 10:17 PM
All we are saying, is give Henson a chance.

Hook Dem
02-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Think Bill will ever disclose the real reason he doesn't like Henson?

scott
02-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Think Bill will ever disclose the real reason he doesn't like Henson?

Who said he doesn't like Henson?

Ballcox
02-21-2005, 02:30 PM
My take is that if Parcells liked Henson or thought he 'might' be the guy at QB, he would have played him late last season when the Cowboys had no realistic shot at making the playoffs, he didn't play him-not one freakin' down. So, that really worries me, is Henson the guy for the future? Because if he isn't, then you've got to go the free agency route or utilize your two picks in the 1st round to go after a college QB. The thing is, how do we know Henson isn't the guy? Just based on his performance in the first half against the Ravens, one of the best defenses in the league? You've got to give the guy more of a chance than that, hell, we gave Hutchison more of a chance! I still think it goes back to Parcells 'old school' philosophy of coaching that you don't play a young QB, even if he might be the best chance you've got on having a winning QB (down the road). What I've also read is that Parcells might be coaching his last season in Dallas and doesn't want to have to suffer through a 'rebuilding' year with a new QB. Great, so all of us fans have to sit idly by while you try your best to put together a mediocre season that might result in us making it into the first round of the playoffs before we get our ass kicked. Just can't wait for the season to begin!!

MavDynasty
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
lol