PDA

View Full Version : Attending elementary school in San Antonio during the 1960's

Man of Steel
10-25-2008, 03:53 AM
Okay--I admit--I am probably among the older members of this site. So the stuff I list here probably won't interest you unless you attended elementary school from 1963-1969.

I was talking to old friend about the things we remembered about going to school during that era.

Things I remembered:

1. The field trip to Butter Crust bakery and getting high on the odor of freshly baked bread.

2. Taking cool lunch boxes to school--my favorite was the Man from U.N.C.L.E, Superman and the Beatles

3. Having to cover our text books with gray covers supplied from Butter Crust Bakery--usually messing them up by taping the covers too tight and ripping them when I closed the book

4. Big Chief Tablets

5. Playing kick ball during recess

6. Having periodic drills by lining up in the hallway, sitting down and covering our heads our arms. Never got an explanation as to why this was necessary--found out later it was in the case the Russians nuked us.

7. Mexican food on Wednesdays--served with corn bread.

8. Watching our female teachers with their short skirts turn around and writing stuff on the blackboard.

9. Riding the bus to school that were old and you felt every bump in the road-with the bus driver playing his radio full blast in the morning and Beatles tunes were about every song

10. The sound of coke machines when someone bought a drink, with the glass bottles making a funny sound and a popping noise when the bottle hit the bottom

11. Saving my lunch money--35 cents--on the morning when Dad could afford to lay out five rows of change; using the money to go after school to buy the latest Superman comic book at 12 cents a piece and a coke for a dime (got really pissed when the comics went up to 15 cents--no cokes after that

12. Seeing the finest teacher in the school pull up in her 1968 Malibu

13. Using cigar boxes for our school supplies

14. Trying to cram all our books in our desks

15. Kids getting busted for wearing their hair too long or wearing pointed shoes like the Beatles as depicted on the first Beatle album (back cover)

16. Making friends with a cool kid whose mother did not mind having Playboy Magazines--man the 1967 and '68 mags had some fantastic girls and the centerfolds were God's gift to mankind

17. Flying Bat Kites on the playing field after school

18. Being bused home one fateful day before school let out and finding my mom praying a rosary--my dad coming home early--the first time I remember seeing my dad cry--the day President Kennedy was killed

19. Shooting my classmates with "spear grass"--great when it stuck on their clothes

20. Waiting in the sweltering sun waiting for King Antonio to get his ass to visit our school

21. Watching classmates appear on Captain Gus--ba ding bing mates!

22 Playing with Tops in the morning and trying to hit other Tops to smash the hell out of them

23. Eating corn flakes in the morning while the Seven show was on TV with Paul Venema and Lydia Alegria

24. Being the last to be picked when sides were taken for football played at recess because I was an overweight kid

25. Being scared as shit when chosen to say the daily poem after announcements were made over the intercom

26. Talking to classmates the day after Batman was aired on Wednesdays and Thursdays--and thinking Batman's costume was gray because everyone had black and white TV sets

27. Buying ice cream "push ups" during breaks

28. Getting the finest teacher in the school in the fifth grade whose lower cut blouses always gave us a great show when she had to bend over to help us with our school work

29. Bragging to my classmates that my mom bought me a Superman Cape for Halloween

30. Having roll called during PE and the damn illiterate coach messing up my name nearly everyday

31. HEB food stores stocking Beatle 45's when you first entered the store so kids could nag their parents all throughout the shopping spree to buy one

32. Home room mothers bringing cakes and cookies to class before class being let out for Christmas and Thanksgiving breaks

33. Having to cheat when reading our chapters--answers in the back of the book

34. Taking our miniature plastic soldiers to school to play with at recess, with them being confiscated when playing with them during class

35. Being sent to the principal's office for talking too much in class--with the principal admonishing us we would never amount to anything unless we shaped up

36. Getting chocolate milk during mid-morning breaks that was contained in small glass bottles with lids that were made of hard paper that had to be popped off with your fingertips

37. Being forced to engage in square dancing classes--that sucked--made us touch the ugliest girls in class

38. Doing incomplete homework because we sat in front of the TV sets with our books open while we watched Green Acres and other shitty programs

39. Eating tons of spinach because Captain Gus told us it would make us strong as hell (it never did)

40. Getting off from school and taking the bus downtown to visit my mom, who worked at Joskes

These are just a few of my memories--what are some of yours?

Slydragon
10-25-2008, 04:24 AM
I did number 6 also but I was not even born in the 60's was 20 years later in the 80's when I was in elementary, we did it in case of a tornado.

Insomniac
10-25-2008, 04:53 AM
I'm surprised you still remember.

lrcvsc
10-25-2008, 07:11 AM
You missed the field trips to Judson's Candy. Doing the Rainbow bread tour getting a pencil and a slice of bread from an open loaf, not like the hot bread from Buttercrust that we all dreamed of when told we were going there.

The nickel a ride Wednesday's at Kiddie Park, Fantasy Land at Joskes. We would ride the bus everywhere.

How about this one, the Patrol Boy celebration at the Majestic Theater. To be chosen as a Patrol Boy was an honor.

One of my fondest, is sitting on the curb in front of Roosevelt Park as President Kennedy drove by in his visit to San Antonio, the day before he was killed.

Thanks for asking as those were the good ol days..

cornbread
10-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I counted 20 that I remember from elementary school in the 80s.

spursfan09
10-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I went to elementary school in the 90's and relate to alot of those things. the buttercrust factor, oh reading the memory of when kennedy died, i thought of selena. i remember practicing for tornadoes. It is interesting to parallel two different times and see the relation.

ashbeeigh
10-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Okay--I admit--I am probably among the older members of this site. So the stuff I list here probably won't interest you unless you attended elementary school from 1963-1969.

I was talking to old friend about the things we remembered about going to school during that era.

Things I remembered:

1. The field trip to Butter Crust bakery and getting high on the odor of freshly baked bread.

2. Taking cool lunch boxes to school--my favorite was the Man from U.N.C.L.E, Superman and the Beatles

3. Having to cover our text books with gray covers supplied from Butter Crust Bakery--usually messing them up by taping the covers too tight and ripping them when I closed the book

4. Big Chief Tablets

6. Having periodic drills by lining up in the hallway, sitting down and covering our heads our arms. Never got an explanation as to why this was necessary--found out later it was in the case the Russians nuked us.

7. Mexican food on Wednesdays--served with corn bread. And Friday Pizza days

9. Riding the bus to school that were old and you felt every bump in the road-with the bus driver playing his radio full blast in the morning and Beatles tunes were about every song

19. Shooting my classmates with "spear grass"--great when it stuck on their clothes

24. Being the last to be picked when sides were taken for football played at recess because I was an overweight kid <-- lol..kinda

25. Being scared as shit when chosen to say the daily poem after announcements were made over the intercom

30. Having roll called during PE and the damn illiterate coach messing up my name nearly everyday

32. Home room mothers bringing cakes and cookies to class before class being let out for Christmas and Thanksgiving breaks

37. Being forced to engage in square dancing classes--that sucked--made us touch the ugliest girls (boys) in class

38. Doing incomplete homework because we sat in front of the TV sets with our books open while we watched Green Acres and other shitty programs (well not Green Acres...but stuff like Full House, Hanging with Mr. Cooper and Home Improvement..oh my goodness. Jonathan Taylor Thomas.)

That's what I remember from your list and that was from 1991-1995.

But I'll add

1. Watching Commander K-O when arriving home from school.

2. Counting down the days until I was able to go to Clark because I went to Locke Hill...the Clark kids did stuff with us all the time...they were my heroes..until I went there and realized Clark sucked...lol.

10-25-2008, 02:13 PM

Things I remembered:

4. Big Chief Tablets

7. Mexican food on Wednesdays--served with corn bread.

8. Watching our female teachers with their short skirts turn around and writing stuff on the blackboard.

10. The sound of coke machines when someone bought a drink, with the glass bottles making a funny sound and a popping noise when the bottle hit the bottom

11. Saving my lunch money--35 cents--on the morning when Dad could afford to lay out five rows of change; using the money to go after school to buy the latest Superman comic book at 12 cents a piece and a coke for a dime (got really pissed when the comics went up to 15 cents--no cokes after that

12. Seeing the finest teacher in the school pull up in her 1968 Malibu

15. Kids getting busted for wearing their hair too long or wearing pointed shoes like the Beatles as depicted on the first Beatle album (back cover)

16. Making friends with a cool kid whose mother did not mind having Playboy Magazines--man the 1967 and '68 mags had some fantastic girls and the centerfolds were God's gift to mankind

17. Flying Bat Kites on the playing field after school

18. Being bused home one fateful day before school let out and finding my mom praying a rosary--my dad coming home early--the first time I remember seeing my dad cry--the day President Kennedy was killed

20. Waiting in the sweltering sun waiting for King Antonio to get his ass to visit our school

21. Watching classmates appear on Captain Gus--ba ding bing mates!

22 Playing with Tops in the morning and trying to hit other Tops to smash the hell out of them

23. Eating corn flakes in the morning while the Seven show was on TV with Paul Venema and Lydia Alegria

24. Being the last to be picked when sides were taken for football played at recess because I was an overweight kid

26. Talking to classmates the day after Batman was aired on Wednesdays and Thursdays--and thinking Batman's costume was gray because everyone had black and white TV sets

28. Getting the finest teacher in the school in the fifth grade whose lower cut blouses always gave us a great show when she had to bend over to help us with our school work

29. Bragging to my classmates that my mom bought me a Superman Cape for Halloween

31. HEB food stores stocking Beatle 45's when you first entered the store so kids could nag their parents all throughout the shopping spree to buy one

34. Taking our miniature plastic soldiers to school to play with at recess, with them being confiscated when playing with them during class

35. Being sent to the principal's office for talking too much in class--with the principal admonishing us we would never amount to anything unless we shaped up

36. Getting chocolate milk during mid-morning breaks that was contained in small glass bottles with lids that were made of hard paper that had to be popped off with your fingertips

37. Being forced to engage in square dancing classes--that sucked--made us touch the ugliest girls in class

38. Doing incomplete homework because we sat in front of the TV sets with our books open while we watched Green Acres and other shitty programs

39. Eating tons of spinach because Captain Gus told us it would make us strong as hell (it never did)

40. Getting off from school and taking the bus downtown to visit my mom, who worked at Joskes

These are just a few of my memories--what are some of yours?

I went to Coker in the 70's, so we did most all of the things you listed there.

Remember sitting in the hallways with everyone else in your grade to watch the Disney educational films?

Milton.
10-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Chris Duel forum

cornbread
10-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Children of the 80s and 90s in San Antonio can remember annual trips to the IMAX to watch 'Alamo: Price of Freedom'.

tsb2000
10-26-2008, 09:05 AM
I was there in the '70's. If you replaced "Beatles" with "Bee Gees" on the .45 records, the list would be exactly the same. :)

Sunshine
10-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I can relate to most of those, even though I was in elementary school from 68-73

Some other things I remember from elementary school (Maverick)

Saving papers for the paper drive

Being on the "Patrols"

Field trips to the symphony

Wednesday being "Mexican Food" day in the cafeteria, the only day I would eat at school!

The days my dad would sub for the postman who delivered mail to the school. I thought it was sooo cool to see him drive up in his mail truck.

The time Laura Houston puked all over Mrs. MacMurray's desk.

degenerate_gambler
10-27-2008, 11:43 AM
late 60's early 70's here at Kirby Elementary...

...fish on Fridays

...getting licks out in the hall then having everyone stare at you when you went back into class

CosmicCowboy
10-27-2008, 01:12 PM
++++++++

getting school supplies at Winns

Riding my bike 1.999 miles every day to school rain or shine because we didn't live 2 miles away and could ride the bus.

My special desk in the front corner behind the teachers desk. After the second grade it was already there on the first day of school.

Teachers smoking on the playground. The principal smoking in his office on my frequent trips there.

Tether ball...winning was smacking your opponent in the face with a ball going mach 2.

dodge ball (see tether ball)

"Presidents physical fitness test"

Spelling bees when people could actually spell at a current high school level in the third grade.

Being forced to write cursive. Always getting U's in handwriting because I was left handed, slanted my letters the wrong way, and smeared the ink.

Lowering the flag to half mast with Alice Kosinski when Kennedy was shot.

The Goldwater/Johnson election where Johnson was the "peace" candidate LOL

long division with big numbers with multiple decimal places.

getting killer beatings from my dad every three weeks while school was in session for "U's" on progress reports and report cards for "talking in class".

Playing outside the house after school and running to to get home "before the street lights come on"

purist
10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
smelling sheets of paper fresh off the mimeograph machine

no a/c in school; just open windows and lots of gnats

Cap'n Gus studio downtown where KENS used to be and Express-News still is.

shoes from the Shoe Box in Wonderland Mall

101A
10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Every loaf of bread I bake is judged against those slices, slathered in butter, we got at Butterkrust after the tour.

Good list; I'm a elementary child of the '70s. Lots of stuff I remember.