PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: How The Spurs Stack Up Against The West

duncan228
10-25-2008, 07:16 PM
How the Spurs stack up against the West (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/How_the_Spurs_stack_up_against_the_West.html)
Jeff McDonald - Express-News

Here’s a look at how the Spurs compare to the Western Conference’s best teams:

Spurs vs. Hornets

Good news: The Spurs have experience and confidence after winning a Game 7 at New Orleans last season.

Bad news: The Spurs had enough trouble with New Orleans last season, and now the Hornets have added a championship-winning role player in James Posey.

Spurs vs. Lakers

Good news: The Spurs can argue — convinc- ingly — that they might have slipped past L.A. in the conference finals had Manu Ginobili been healthy.

Bad news: Kobe Bryant is still Kobe, he’s got Pau Gasol for a full season, and Andrew Bynum is back.

Spurs vs. Rockets

Good news: Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady can’t seem to stay healthy at the same time, which makes it tough to be a full-fledged contender.

Bad news: This could be the year Yao and McGrady make it through the season. Plus, Houston has added Ron Artest, a defensive wiz.

Spurs vs. Jazz

Good news: Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer are good, but the Jazz always seem to be one missing piece away.

Bad news: Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer are good. Real good.

Spurs vs. Mavericks

Good news: The Mavericks fell from the ranks of the confer- ence’s elite last season, and now are adjusting to a new coach.

Bad news: Under Rick Carlisle’s system, the Mavs should be able to score in bunches. Josh Howard could have a monster year.

Spurs vs. Suns

Good news: The Suns are also adjusting to a new coach and new system, with players built for a Mike D’Antoni’s run-and-gun style.

Bad news: Steve Nash and Shaquille O’Neal remain a lethal combination.

Spurs vs. Blazers

Good news: Experience counts. The Spurs have it. Portland does not.

Bad news: The Blazers have stockpiled young talent, and with Greg Oden now lined up next to LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland owns a formidable front line.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't recall when Nash and Shaq were a lethal combination. Did I sleep through an All Star game again?

Cry Havoc
10-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I don't recall when Nash and Shaq were a lethal combination. Did I sleep through an All Star game again?

:lol

Shaq is lethal because he might fall on you during one of his patented hip-check dunks.

urunobili
10-26-2008, 05:29 AM
:lmao at the fact that Shaq and Nash > Nash and Amare

manu2150
10-26-2008, 01:39 PM
shaq is too old and slow to be lethal. he could be lethal if he has a rampage for not getting a burrito.

1Parker1
10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Captain Obvious Article...:lol

SpursDynasty
10-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't see any team in the West that poses a real threat to the Spurs. Kobe has failed in his last two Finals, Andrew Bynum has had one good month in his career. The Hornets won't even win 50 games this season.

TheMadHatter
10-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Spurs vs. Lakers

Good news: The Spurs can argue — convinc- ingly — that they might have slipped past L.A. in the conference finals had Manu Ginobili been healthy.

Bad news: Kobe Bryant is still Kobe, he’s got Pau Gasol for a full season, and Andrew Bynum is back. Oh and did we mention Phil Jackson. Ah fuck, we're screwed.

ShoogarBear
10-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Man, he gets paid for writing this?

Obstructed_View
10-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Man, he gets paid for writing this?

Nice work if you can get it. :)

Vorg
10-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Bad news: Steve Nash and Shaquille O’Neal remain a lethal combination.

Especially in pick and roll defense.