PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili Missing From The Equation

duncan228
10-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Ginobili missing from the equation (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Missing_from_the_equation.html)
By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

The AT&T Center crowd went wild early in the Spurs' first home preseason game this month, and it didn't take a genius to figure out why.

Manu Ginobili's smiling face was pictured on the big screen above center court.

Stuck on the sidelines after offseason ankle surgery, it was one of the few public appearances Ginobili made during the preseason. Spurs faithful wasted little time in applauding his ability to look cool in a sports coat.

It's obvious that Spurs fans are already missing Ginobili. The Spurs themselves haven't had time to. Yet.

“We'll see that difference when the games come,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “That's when someone will have to step up.”

With the season set to begin this week, the Spurs' menacing month of missing Manu is here.

The team isn't due to get its star guard and leading scorer back until mid-December at the earliest. In the meantime, the Spurs will look at a handful of candidates to help fill the void — and recoup some of Ginobili's 19.5 points per game.

“No one's going to come in and replace Manu,” said Michael Finley, one of the players who will be asked to pick up the scoring slack. “Everybody just has to come in and take advantage of the opportunity they may get.”

Ginobili's value to the Spurs was amplified in the playoffs last year.

Playing on the same bum left ankle that would later require arthroscopic surgery, Ginobili was hardly himself in the Western Conference finals. With the NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year a shell of himself, the Spurs fell to the Lakers in five games.

“Without him in the playoffs, obviously we struggled at times,” Tim Duncan said. “So we're going to have to work around that this year. We may have to figure it out on the run.”

How quickly and how well they figure it out should go a long way toward establishing the Spurs' place in the Western Conference pecking order.

Forty-seven victories were not enough to make the playoffs last season. They can't afford to spot the rest of the conference too big a head start.

The Spurs know no single mortal can fill Ginobili's shoes. That's why they will turn to as many as three mere mortals.

Finley, re-signed in the offseason, will likely reprise his starting role. The veteran averaged 10.1 points per game last year, a 1.1-point increase from the season before.

Ime Udoka, entering his second year with the club, should see an increase in his minutes —— which should lead to an increase in production. He saw his stock rise during the playoffs last season, especially during a series with New Orleans in which he was the Spurs' best sub.

The wild card on the wing is Roger Mason Jr., the team's key offseason acquisition. The 6-foot-5 combination guard arrived via free agency after a breakout season in Washington in which he averaged a career-best 9.1 points.

With Ginobili out early, Mason should have ample chances to earn his keep.

“There will probably be a little bit more opportunity for me, sure,” the 28-year-old Mason said. “I had a great summer in the gym, probably the best summer I've ever had, and I'm ready for the challenge.”

In the meantime, the Spurs will wait out Ginobili's recovery, and they will look on the bright side.

A nice, fresh Ginobili in mid-December should make for quite a Christmas present.

“I think he's going to come out better for it,” Duncan said. “Hopefully, he's stronger and better when he comes back.”

By then, the Spurs are only hoping they can say the same.

PLAYING SHORT-HANDED

This isn’t the first time the Spurs have had to play with one of their Big Three out. As Express-News Spurs beat writer Jeff McDonald points out, they probably got a little too used to it last season:

TIM DUNCAN

4 - Games missed last season with an ankle injury

2-2 - Spurs’ record with Duncan out of the lineup

2 - Notable teams the Spurs beat with Duncan out (the Mavericks and Jazz)

MANU GINOBILI

8 - Games missed last season with a finger and then groin injury

5-3 - Spurs’ record with Ginobili out of the lineup

0 - Notable teams the Spurs beat with Ginobili out

TONY PARKER

13 - Games missed last season with an ankle and then heel injury

8-5 - Spurs’ record with Parker out of the lineup

2 - Notable teams the Spurs beat with Parker out (the Nuggets and the Suns in Phoenix)

Obstructed_View
10-25-2008, 09:42 PM
15-10 without one of the big three. Not great.

DPG21920
10-25-2008, 11:28 PM
15-10 without one of the big three. Not great.

You are saying that you would not be happy with a 15-10 record with Ginobili missing 25 games this year? I would.

ducks
10-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I would
spurs start slow with manu to
15-10 would be great

Manufan909
10-25-2008, 11:39 PM
I'll take it.

Obstructed_View
10-25-2008, 11:55 PM
You are saying that you would not be happy with a 15-10 record with Ginobili missing 25 games this year? I would.

That's barely playoff pace in the west, so I guess it would be okay, but I wouldn't say I'd be happy with it.

ElNono
10-25-2008, 11:59 PM
I'll take anything over .500... In all honesty, I expect a few teams to start slow, like the Suns and Mavs with their new coaches, Portland until Oden adjusts, the Warriors without BDiddy running the offense, the Clippers without Brant and with BDiddy...
I think it's probably the best time to have him out.

ulosturedge
10-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Spurs are notorious for starting slow. Even though the last couple of seasons weren't as bad. I keep my optimism though. It all depends how fast the new guys mesh. I think we will be ok.

Manufan909
10-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Hey, can someone tell me what time it is? Cause ST seems to be on ET for me. Every clock/watch in my room says 12:47, but ST says 1:47.

duncan228
10-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Hey, can someone tell me what time it is? Cause ST seems to be on ET for me. Every clock/watch in my room says 12:47, but ST says 1:47.

My time is off too, I just asked if something was going on in the Technical forum.

My settings are on PST and every post is showing an hour ahead.

I know after we got the new servers there were times the time went weird while things were being worked on. It might be something like that.

Manufan909
10-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks. Damn son, you're like omniscient or something. Or maybe an AI. Has anyone seen duncan228 at a Spurs game or GTG?:lol

duncan228
10-26-2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks. Damn son, you're like omniscient or something. Or maybe an AI. Has anyone seen duncan228 at a Spurs game or GTG?:lol

:lol

I'm not in Texas so I've never gotten to go to a GTG to meet anyone from ST. I'd love to.

And I've never seen Duncan and the Spurs play in person, another dream.

I noticed the time off for me about an hour before you asked, I'd already put it in the Technical forum.

Ice009
10-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Do you guys have daylight saving or anything? Ours just started today in Australia.

When does yours start and finish?

duncan228
10-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Do you guys have daylight saving or anything? Ours just started today in Australia.

When does yours start and finish?

We have it. It started March 9 and ends November 2. The options settings here on ST account for it.

Ice009
10-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I was always curious when it starts and finishes. I have to adjust that for the NBA season and make sure I get the game times right.

duncan228
10-26-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I was always curious when it starts and finishes. I have to adjust that for the NBA season and make sure I get the game times right.

If it helps your planning, it starts again March 8, 2009. Now you've got the season covered. :)

urunobili
10-26-2008, 05:16 AM
17-7 should be the ideal... and i bet that would be 4th in the West though... :depressed

Manufan909
10-26-2008, 05:18 AM
What was the Spurs record from their first 25 games last season?

carina_gino20
10-26-2008, 05:54 AM
This is news? McDonald is even referring to himself in the third person. :lol

Obstructed_View
10-26-2008, 06:12 AM
What was the Spurs record from their first 25 games last season?

18-7. The year before they were 19-6. My memory is fuzzy but I think Duncan was out a game or two last year. I think 15-10 puts them pretty far behind the Lakers and the Rockets, who always start strong. Maybe I'm just spoiled by a couple of non-customary good starts by the Spurs recently.

But I must confess, in the original post I made, I completely miscounted the losses, and thought the Spurs had a really really good record without one of the big three, and commented on it. Then I realized my mistake and suddenly wasn't as excited about the record. I probably should have just deleted the post.

Spurs Brazil
10-26-2008, 06:59 AM
We have it. It started March 9 and ends November 2. The options settings here on ST account for it.

DAMN I'll have only this week with a 3 hours Sao Paulo - San Antonio time. Games start at 8:30 so it's 10:30 Sao Paulo time. Next week it'll be back to the normal 11:30 start for me. And I wake up 5:00 o'clock everyday.

So I'm back to the 3 hours night of sleep in the Spurs gameday :sleep

Thanks for the info duncan228