PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Rockets Think The Right Piece Is Finally In Place

duncan228
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Rockets think the right piece is finally in place (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Rockets_think_the_right_piece_is_finally_in_place. html)
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

HOUSTON — Ask Houston Rockets center Yao Ming what he likes most about having Ron Artest as a teammate and he turns the question around.

“I remember when he was wearing the opposite jersey,” said Yao, the 7-foot-6 All-Star. “The hardest thing is how do you match up with him? Do you put the three man (small forward) or the four man (power forward) on him? Each one has a little weakness where he can beat them.”

Now, every team that meets the Rockets will have to answer that question — and the thought of that makes Yao smile.

“That is the biggest advantage he can bring us,” he said.

The trade the Rockets maneuvered this summer to wrest Artest from the Sacramento Kings — they gave up only an aging veteran backup, Bobby Jackson, a freshly drafted rookie, Donte Green, and their 2009 first-round draft pick — turned them into an NBA title contender.

They may not be regarded as Ron-Ron’s Rockets any time soon. After all, Yao is literally the NBA’s largest presence, and Tracy McGrady is a perennial All-Star, but Artest clearly will impose his personality on a team some have considered too soft to win in the postseason. A perennial contender for Defensive Player of the Year, Artest approaches the game, especially at the defensive end, with an aggression seldom seen.

Of course, Artest’s personality has been a problem for some of the teams in his NBA past, most notably the Indiana Pacers. Something about “Malice in The Palace.”

But it was in Sacramento, under head coach Rick Adelman, where Artest rehabilitated his reputation and his career. It is clear Artest loves Adelman’s approach to the game, including his way of handling practice.

“You know it’s going to be hard,” Artest said of a typical Adelman practice. “But you know it’s going to be fun, because Coach is going to play a lot. That’s what guys do in the NBA — play basketball. Any time you get a chance to play for the majority of practice, that has to be fun.”

NBA basketball hasn’t provided Artest with enough fun.

Though it has made him a wealthy man, it has not stamped him as a winner. He yearns for playoff success, and though he had dreamed of joining Kobe Bryant on the Lakers, he called his opportunity in Houston a chance to dance with the stars.

Just three days into training camp, Artest was asked how long he thought it would take for Adelman to fit together the Rockets’ pieces. He erupted into a stream-of-consciousness expression of confidence that was short on syntactical cohesion, but overloaded with enthusiasm.

“I don’t think it will take long at all,” he said. “I know we’re going to win a lot of games. When you’ve got the addition of Brent Barry, who is a proven veteran, and you’ve already got two stars, Yao and Tracy, who are veterans now, so it’s not like they’re young players, and then you’ve got a veteran point guard, in Rafer (Alston). So we should be OK.”

Nothing Artest saw in the preseason dampened his enthusiasm.

“You see guys are running hard and still making shots,” he said. “That tells you if they were working in the offseason. That’s definitely the case in this training camp. I definitely see what I was hoping to see.

“Yao is running well and Tracy is hustling and making shots and deflections. When you’ve got your two main guys out there, going hard, it gives everybody else something to play for.”

ROCKETS' FIVE BURNING QUESTIONS

Express-News NBA beat writer Mike Monroe asks — and answers — some key questions regarding the Rockets:

Will they become Ron-Ron’s Rockets?

The trade that brought Ron Artest to Houston this summer was one of the best of the offseason for any team. What he brings is precisely what the Rockets needed: a defensive presence and toughness at both ends of the floor. If they are at, or near, the top of the Western standings, it will be hard not to call them Artest’s team.

Where’s Dikembe?

For the first time since 1971, Dikembe Mutombo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo (really, that is his full name) is not on an opening-night roster. The Rockets just didn’t have room for the defensive giant who spent the past four seasons with them. But don’t be surprised if the former Georgetown star returns to the team before season’s end.

What’s Brent Barry’s role?

They signed Barry away from the Spurs because they love his experience, court savvy and 3-point shooting ability. They believe he can be more than a spot player, even though he will turn 37 on New Year’s Eve. Once Shane Battier returns from injury, though, they will have some playing-time decisions to make.

How is Yao’s left foot?

Yao Ming missed the final two months of the 2007-08 season with a stress fracture of the left foot, the same foot that had caused him problems in past seasons. He recovered in time to play for China in the Olympic Games, but did not look to be at full strength there. Rockets fans will be holding their collective breath, hoping there is no recurrence.

Can T-Mac finally win a playoff series?

Tracy McGrady is sick to death of the annual wonderment about his never having played on a team that escaped the first round of the playoffs. If he can’t do it with this Rockets team, he might just consider retirement.

Allanon
10-25-2008, 09:58 PM
I think Ron-Ron is really going to upgrade that team.

Everybody says he's a headcase, but this is his contract year and even Ron knows he's gotta be on best behavior. And to be honest, he hasn't done anything really crazy for awhile.

The Franchise
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm just ready for Tuesday. This will be the longest three days in quite a while.

RsxPiimp
10-26-2008, 12:02 AM
rockets are a tmac away from being a real championship team

Roxsfan
10-26-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm just ready for Tuesday. This will be the longest three days in quite a while.

You mean Wed.:lmao:sleep:downspin::lol:wow:nope:rollin:roll eyes:ihit:p:

Wed 29 vs Memphis 7:30pm FSNHOU

angelbelow
10-26-2008, 01:42 PM
any good sports betting sites?

tlongII
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
The Rockets should be very good. It's too bad that TMac and Yao are so injury prone.

RsxPiimp
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
The Rockets should be very good. It's too bad that TMac and Yao are so injury prone.

yup. i love the duo,especially tmac, but damn they need to play 82 games together.

Indazone
10-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Now if we can just get Stevie Francis to come back to form so we can have a Big 4.

xtremesteven33
10-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Sad to say, Yao will not stay healthy all year. He looked pretty banged up during the olympics and without Yao, the Rockets dont get far in the playoffs.

Ron Ron will be great for the Rockets. Its just the health of TMAC and Yao that is in question.

jack sommerset
10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
i would sit yao the 1st month of the season. its a long season and rest for that 7 footer would do him and that team some good.

robbie380
10-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Now if we can just get Stevie Francis to come back to form so we can have a Big 4.

if we get scola to play like he did in the olympics and a healthy landry then we have a big 4. if francis can somehow manage to get healthy and play 10-15 mpg i think that would be great. he can't play a lot of minutes (if any) but he would be a great boost off the bench like bobby jackson under adelman's kings teams.

robbie380
10-27-2008, 12:52 PM
i would sit yao the 1st month of the season. its a long season and rest for that 7 footer would do him and that team some good.

i would sit t-mac the first 3 months of the season :lol

and about yao the rockets are basically forcing the guy to work less after and in between games. it's insane the amount of work the guy puts in. hopefully, his conditioning won't be hurt too much...who knows maybe he will even be fresher if he doesn't try to workout all the time.

sook
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
the obsession some fans have with francis is comical. The dude is a fucking scrub, yet a lone even a servicable backup. Stop drinking kool aid

The Franchise
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
You mean Wed.:lmao:sleep:downspin::lol:wow:nope:rollin:roll eyes:ihit:p:

Wed 29 vs Memphis 7:30pm FSNHOU

your right my bad.

Indazone
10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
the obsession some fans have with francis is comical. The dude is a fucking scrub, yet a lone even a servicable backup. Stop drinking kool aid

Dude was just cleared about a three weeks ago to run. Cleared for full countact last week. C'mon give him the time to come back and get into shape. Sheesh.

RsxPiimp
10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Sad to say, Yao will not stay healthy all year. He looked pretty banged up during the olympics and without Yao, the Rockets dont get far in the playoffs.

Ron Ron will be great for the Rockets. Its just the health of TMAC and Yao that is in question.

they dont need yao to reach the playoffs.

what they do need is a healthy yao,mac in the playoffs.

ducks
10-27-2008, 02:19 PM
The Need To Either Trade T-mac Or Ming
Both Can Not Stay Healthy

The Franchise
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
The Need To Either Trade T-mac Or Ming
Both Can Not Stay Healthy

If we don't see at least the WCF this year I guarantee you your statement will become reality.