PDA

View Full Version : Garnett's D on Duncan

nikegirl
10-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Question on KG's defense on Duncan, how good is it? Cos it seems like everytime I look at the stats, Duncan shoots poorly when playing Garnett's team. Not all the time but probably half the time so I'm assuming it has something to do with Garnett's D. Can somebody give an analysis on KG's defense on Duncan?

Last playoffs was probably the first time since I started watching the Spurs that Duncan didn't have a good shooting percentage which worries me a bit coming into this season especially since our team has not really added a very good offensive player so there will still be a lot of pressure on Duncan.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2008, 06:40 AM
The Celtics were the best defensive team in basketball last year, so I'd imagine everyone's field goal percentage went down when they played Boston. Go back to when he was in Minnesota and Duncan was tearing him up.

nikegirl
10-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Oh yeah thats definitely true about the Celts but I remember seeing Duncan's numbers whenever they played Minnesota with KG back then and half the time it seems like he struggled with his shooting. So I'm wondering about KG's own defense on Duncan.

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
no, their numbers are nearly identical in head to head matchups..they also didn't guard each other very often IIRC..

Tim's numbers aren't a concern..he was made a volume scorer in the Lakers series because of Parker struggling and Manu being unable to play at the level we expect him to due to injury..his FG% also took a hit, because I counted MANY shots where he had to chuck up at the end of the shot clock due to our poor offense..I counted 6 in game 1 alone..he did miss a lot of gimme's vs. Gasol, but I wouldn't worry otherwise..

duncan228
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
they also didn't guard each other very often IIRC..

You recall correctly.

I'm not concerned about Garnett's defense or Duncan's numbers. He'll be his steady self, if not a little more, through the season and turn it up in the playoffs as he has for years. As long as he, and this team, are healthy in the Spring they have a great chance to bring home #5.

Strike
10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Duncan's numbers, including minutes played, will probably be increased at the start of the season with Manu being out. If Manu plays well when he returns you'll see Tim's scoring average and FGA's take a dip. Something tells me some people will not take Manu into account and we'll see a lot of threads and/or posts about how "Timmy's tired" or "Timmy's falling off" and assorted crap like that. Don't believe the hype.

The more I read, hear and see, the more optimistic I am about the 08-09 season.

SpurSupremacist
10-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Garnett is a soft post defender. The fact he won DPOY averaging 9 rebounds and about a block a game is a fucking joke.

Cry Havoc
10-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Duncan is a post player. Garnett is more a mid-range wing forward.

If they stuck KG on Duncan consistently, Timmy would post him up every single time without a problem. KG doesn't have the body to stay in front of Timmy. That's why he only sees spot defensive minutes against him.

No one in this league can guard Duncan when he's healthy without fouling him every other trip down the court.

duncan228
10-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Duncan and Garnett head-to-head. The numbers are close, the wins and the hardware separate them and tell the real story. (Sorry for the size of this).

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/h2h.jpg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=garneke01

lefty
10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
KG is Duncan's bitch

galvatron3000
10-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Duncan and Garnett head-to-head. The numbers are close, the wins and the hardware separate them and tell the real story. (Sorry for the size of this).

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/h2h.jpg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=garneke01

Fouls and FTA tell a better story, Garnett is more an outside shooter and Tim is on the low block. That's what seperates them the most. Tim gets you out of the game along with your backup and Garnett doesn't. This changes team's strategy

Chomag
10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow! Their stats are much closer then I thought

Vorg
10-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Fouls and FTA tell a better story, Garnett is more an outside shooter and Tim is on the low block. That's what seperates them the most. Tim gets you out of the game along with your backup and Garnett doesn't. This changes team's strategy

True. And for a big man, I'll choose a foul fisher rather than a shooter.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Garnett owns Duncan 1on1 defensively, Duncan always acts lazy and tries to shoot over him and gets off balance. But to his credit, a good number of Garnett's blocks on him are goaltends.

galvatron3000
10-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Garnett owns Duncan 1on1 defensively, Duncan always acts lazy and tries to shoot over him and gets off balance. But to his credit, a good number of Garnett's blocks on him are goaltends.

A good number of Tim's points are dunks on Garnett. :nope

HarlemHeat37
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM

this might by the worst analysis I've EVER heard..

RsxPiimp
10-26-2008, 06:12 PM
lol kg does not own duncan on defense lmao

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Fuck Kg N Fuck The C's

Manufan909
10-27-2008, 01:34 AM

Dude, love your sig. Those two dudes weigh 300 lbs combined, but they were tearing it up that game. Too bad #8 didn't get the TD on that play, only one more yard...

lefty
10-27-2008, 10:29 AM
this might by the worst analysis I've EVER heard..

+1