PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong to Ride in 2005 Tour De France!!!!!!!

Clandestino
02-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Wed Feb 16, 7:28 AM ET Sports - Reuters

By Nick Mulvenney

LONDON (Reuters) - Six-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong confirmed on Wednesday that he would take part in this year's race.

Reuters Photo

AFP
Slideshow: Cycling's Lance Armstrong

The American's 2005 racing schedule, announced by his Discovery Channel team, includes the Tour de France, next month's Paris-Nice classic, the Tour of Flanders and the Tour of Georgia in the United States.

"I look forward to achieving my goal of a seventh Tour de France (victory)," Armstrong, who claimed an unprecedented sixth title last year, told the Discovery Channel Web Site.

"I am excited to get back on the bike and start racing although my condition is far from perfect.

"(We) will evaluate my fitness later this spring and possibly add some races to the calendar."

The chairman of the company which organizes the Tour de France, Jean-Marie Leblanc, was pleased that Armstrong had decided to have another go at the world's most gruelling cycling race.

"I knew that under the contract between Lance and his new sponsor Discovery Channel he would have to race in the Tour at least one more time, either in 2005 or in 2006," Leblanc said.

"Lance has decided to take up the challenge now which is good."

Armstrong won six stages, including the team time trial, on his way to last year's triumph and was barely challenged, except by Italian Ivan Basso in the Alps stages.

"I love Tour de France events which are open, with no clear favorite, but having one again is going to be exciting," Leblanc added.

Armstrong kept fans guessing about his plans for this season after Discovery Channel took over from US Postal as his team's sponsors with an official presentation in January.

SPRING RACES

He had said that he wanted to focus on the spring races he had neglected so far, perhaps an attempt to prove he could have success in other races.

"I've had contacts with (Discovery Channel team manager) Johan Bruyneel a few days ago which led me think that things were changing in our favor," Leblanc said.

"Johan said that Lance wanted to enter either the Criterium, the Dauphine Libere or the Tour of Switzerland to prepare for the Tour de France."

Armstrong, who survived testicular cancer before his six victories, has won 23 stages in the Tour de France since first taking part in 1993.

GoldToe
02-16-2005, 01:25 PM
That's great. Now maybe he can win another yellow jersey so his babe can finish her dress.

AlamoSpursFan
02-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Yippee.

I can die now.

gay abc
02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
if only.........

http://www.freephotoserver.com/files/img34702954_77164727.jpg

Spurs_rock05
02-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Lance Got Its Going On !!!!!!!!!!!

Go Lance I'm Real Proud As A Texan To Have Lance Be There

jalbre6
02-16-2005, 06:09 PM
I love this fucking guy.

Beat cancer- http://www.assistguide.com/print/images/check.gif

Become best athlete in his sport http://www.assistguide.com/print/images/check.gif

Represent Lone Star State http://www.assistguide.com/print/images/check.gif

Bang hot singer http://www.assistguide.com/print/images/check.gif

http://gregorhutton.com/images/sheryl/04jul17tdf13b.jpg

Shelly
02-16-2005, 06:37 PM
dumped his wife for said singer...

Clandestino
02-16-2005, 06:56 PM

maybe said wife was a big nagger and needed to be left behind like competing racers!

usckk
02-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Although he said he did not want to compete this year, I knew he would. He just wanted to his competitors to think he was not going to do it.

Oh yeah. Those drug allegations against are true, in my opinion. He's the type of person that would do that.

NameDropper
02-16-2005, 07:35 PM

And now he's eating Crowe.

T Park
02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
dumped his wife
and 2 very young children for said singer.

Armstrong is a great athlete, but the jury is out on how great a guy he is.

GoldToe
02-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Maybe he was riding his bike more than he was riding his wife and she couldn't handle being the second seat in the fam.

Flea
02-17-2005, 09:58 AM
I wonder how his small children feel about him doing this AGAIN. Ok, Dad.....see you when I'm a teenager. I agree TPark, the Jury is still out.

Clandestino
02-17-2005, 10:04 AM
I wonder how his small children feel about him doing this AGAIN. Ok, Dad.....see you when I'm a teenager. I agree TPark, the Jury is still out.

i wonder how they would feel if his work ethic wasn't as strong as it is and he had never started winning the tdfs and they were poor and hungry...

Flea
02-17-2005, 10:11 AM
Well they are far from being poor and hungry now. There are more important things in life than winning the race one more time!

jalbre6
02-17-2005, 10:29 AM
OK, Lance bashers, I see where you are going here.

Lance didn't start dating Sheryl Crow until after his divorce was finalized in December 2003. They met in October of that year in Vegas...and Lance has been separated since February, with divorce papers filed in September.

Here's even a quote from Kristin, his ex-wife: Marriage problems were "brought on gradually by a number of pressures, rather than one big blow-up. We've been together 4 1/2 years, and we've had six homes, three languages, three countries, one cancer comeback, three children, four Tour de France wins and one rise to celebrity. You're not supposed to cram such a huge amount of events into such a small period of time." Kristin was tired of the strain of being married to a sports star.

And they (Lance and Kristin) maintain a healthy relationship to this day, according to Lance: "The craziest thing is, we're closer now and better friends than ever before. We're truly committed to maintaining a good relationship, but not a marriage."

Google for facts, boys and girls, before thinking he has to wear a scarlet "A".

Shelly
02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
i recall rumors of his not being so faithful during his marriage.

And Ms. Crowe pretty much screwed her band over to become famous, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Spurs_rock05
02-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I Support Lance In Everthing He Has Had A Rocky Life Dealing With Cancer Doc Telling Him He Is 50/50 He Shows Nothing Is Going To Bring Him Down

Go Lance Go !!!!!!!!!!!!

JoeChalupa
02-18-2005, 07:42 AM
I support Lance.

N.Y. Johnny
02-18-2005, 09:54 PM
I support Lance too and I wear one of those Yellow Livestrong bracelets :elephant

Faccia di Angelo
02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I support Lance too and I wear one of those Yellow Livestrong bracelets :elephant
Johnny, tell Dr. Kennedy to give me one too! Those things are hard to come by.

And I am happy for Lance. I think he's a great athlete and his story is inspiring. I wasn't so happy to hear things about him and maybe his infidelity cause I think cheating on a partner is just wrong but I don't know the complete facts so I can't really comment on it. I would hope that isn't the case. He seems like a good guy.