PDA

View Full Version : have you noticed ?

manu2150
10-26-2008, 01:48 PM
players that usually go to the spurs dont live up to their name and what not. for example rasho and nazr who were decent with their teams but werent good enough for the spurs. bonner who was good with toronto is not so good either. there are many others as well.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Tim Duncan turned out okay.

But in regards to free agents, yeah, we've noticed.

lefty
10-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Nazr and Rash were not old enough

But now, they would be a good fit

SPURS21
10-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Ummm

Nazr came over midseason and had a great playoff run with us, helping us win the title...

I live in Toronto, Bonner was never good in Toronto

exstatic
10-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Playing for the Spurs isn't really like playing for anyone else. You have to be smart enough to play in a motion offense and a complex defense, and you must have balls. Nazr never had a clue where to be and Rasho and Beno both lacked male equipment.

Solid D
10-26-2008, 02:12 PM
players that usually go to the spurs dont live up to their name and what not. for example rasho and nazr who were decent with their teams but werent good enough for the spurs. bonner who was good with toronto is not so good either. there are many others as well.

Their roles changed when they changed teams. Rasho was not counted on to score when he came to the Spurs...rather to rebound, screen and defend the paint. Rasho's points output decreased from what they were with the T-Wolves, however, his rebounds and blocks actually increased his next year with the Spurs.

Same thing for Nazr on his role. Once Nazr was brought in, he split time with Rasho and their roles were to rebound, screen and defend the interior.

Bonner hasn't really changed that much from when he was with the Raptors. He wasn't better than Robert Horry before he came to the Spurs, either.

DPG21920
10-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I actually think it is quite the opposite, case in point: Malik Rose. Spurs players get overvalued in the Spurs system for the most part because Duncan is that good. Then once they get a ring, they pursue huge contracts and never do anything again.

Russ
10-26-2008, 02:26 PM
I live in Toronto, Bonner was never good in Toronto

Bonner was a throw in (for salary reasons) in the Rasho deal. Then, for some unknown reason, Pop ended up intrigued by him.

If the Spurs had just treated him like what they initially thought he was, they'd be a bit better off.

Obstructed_View
10-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Nazr was pretty damn good when he was here. Just ask the Pistons.

DPG21920
10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Nazr was pretty damn good when he was here. Just ask the Pistons.

Exactly my point.

TDMVPDPOY
10-26-2008, 05:19 PM
pistons thought nazr was so good they signed him...

galvatron3000
10-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Nazr was brought in because they thought they'd need him if they faced Shaq in the Finals and to provide some inside scoring when Tim got rest on the bench. Never worked out that way and I think against Detroit the Spurs would have preferred M.Rose, I know they needed him against Dallas in 2006.

Rasho was only supposed to provide interior defense (atleast deterence, lol) and hit the 15 footer but he was too soft at the center position. Look if you can't excel next to Tim Duncan then you probably don't need to be in the NBA long, least of all in the center position statring. After Ray Allen (2005 playoffs) basically dunk on the guy with his knee in his face I gave up on Rasho.

Vorg
10-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Nazr was good, but had a hard time defending Dirk because we lacked an agile big.

K-State Spur
10-26-2008, 06:52 PM

i'd argue that nazr's playoff run in 2005 was the best basketball of his career, even if it wasn't his most impressive stats.

as for some of the other guys - there is a HUGE difference between putting up numbers on a bad team and filling a role on a good one (*cough* BENO!!! *cough*).

Obstructed_View
10-26-2008, 07:46 PM
pistons thought nazr was so good they signed him...

And look at the hall of fame numbers he put up with them. ;)

Biggems
10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
cause Barry, Horry, Finley, and Speedy did nothing for us. Big Dog actually came in and played defense. Look at what Bruce Bowen has done. Ime played well last year.

I think the OP in this thread is off base.

hater
10-27-2008, 09:13 AM
that's cause NBA is mostly hype. Spurs are one of the few REAL teams

BacktoBasics
10-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm going to put it a different way.

Pop is good at taking great talent that fits with his scheme and making it work even thrive.

Pop isn't good at taking potential talent that doesn't jive with his scheme and making it work or finding a way to develop it.

Pop can only seem to work with players that fit his scheme. He's only good at developing players that fit his profile.

Although it might not be true I have to wonder how much of that mentality came from the Larry Brown camp.

I really wish he would take more time developing talent to work within his program instead of letting them go for lesser talent that fits the profile.

ElNono
10-27-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm going to put it a different way.

Pop is good at taking great talent that fits with his scheme and making it work even thrive.

Pop isn't good at taking potential talent that doesn't jive with his scheme and making it work or finding a way to develop it.

Pop can only seem to work with players that fit his scheme. He's only good at developing players that fit his profile.

Although it might not be true I have to wonder how much of that mentality came from the Larry Brown camp.

I really wish he would take more time developing talent to work within his program instead of letting them go for lesser talent that fits the profile.

That has a lot to do with Tim and where he currently is in his career. You can't waste 2 or 3 years of TD's career building talent. By the time the talent is there, TD's career is over. We're currently in 'Win now' mode. I'm sure that when TD's retires we'll go into rebuilding mode, and we'll be developing guys too. What I don't know is if Pop will be around then.

BacktoBasics
10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
That has a lot to do with Tim and where he currently is in his career. You can't waste 2 or 3 years of TD's career building talent. By the time the talent is there, TD's career is over. We're currently in 'Win now' mode. I'm sure that when TD's retires we'll go into rebuilding mode, and we'll be developing guys too. What I don't know is if Pop will be around then.
No doubt I can agree with that but with the final roster spot or spots he takes a guy who's over 25 with little to no room of future development over a young up and comer with tons more potential is beyond me. Farmer isn't going to see minutes or significant minutes.

They draft to fit a guy who might see 5 minutes a game over guys who might provide 20 minutes a game after a few years. Pop fails to stock the end of the pine with up and coming talent over mid level low attention requiring scheme fits.

I don't agree with that.

BacktoBasics
10-27-2008, 09:43 AM
By the time this core group is done this team could have had another 3 or 4 guys who are ready and developed. The rebuilding period would have been shorter and less painful. Completely leveraging your future assests for the 14th and 15th spot doesn't make sense.

Rick Von Braun
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Bonner was a throw in (for salary reasons) in the Rasho deal. Then, for some unknown reason, Pop ended up intrigued by him.

If the Spurs had just treated him like what they initially thought he was, they'd be a bit better off.

The Spurs would had been able to keep Scola for starters :stirpot:

ElNono
10-27-2008, 10:29 AM
No doubt I can agree with that but with the final roster spot or spots he takes a guy who's over 25 with little to no room of future development over a young up and comer with tons more potential is beyond me. Farmer isn't going to see minutes or significant minutes.

They draft to fit a guy who might see 5 minutes a game over guys who might provide 20 minutes a game after a few years. Pop fails to stock the end of the pine with up and coming talent over mid level low attention requiring scheme fits.

I don't agree with that.

Because he can't develop neither the 21 nor the 27 year old player, he rather go with the guy that already has more experience under his belt. I mean, Farmer already paid his dues on the NBDL, and even if he sees spot minutes, he already has more experience than Hairston or any of the other rookies. I think Hill is actually the 'project' guy this year, and you can already tell Pop is keeping JV as both a mentor and insurance.

BacktoBasics
10-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Pop is one of the best coaches in NBA history,He makes mistakes like anyone else.
Last year the Spurs lost to the Lakers in the WCF coze of M.G. not being 100%, that's not the couch's fault,it's just destiny or luck.
What I'm trying to say is that Pop feels like as long as the big 3+Bowen are healthy the Spurs have always a shot at the Championship.
Whoever makes the team or not right now is irrelevant coze at the end of the day it will me TP Manu TD and Bowen + Thomas or Oberto on the court winning games and maybe another championship ring.
Now,why would Pop change his way of thinking after all this years success?
I would say,let's stick to the plan and believe.You are right its irrelevant so why not opt for the players with more upside since the core is getting the bulk of the minutes.

BacktoBasics
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Because he can't develop neither the 21 nor the 27 year old player, he rather go with the guy that already has more experience under his belt. I mean, Farmer already paid his dues on the NBDL, and even if he sees spot minutes, he already has more experience than Hairston or any of the other rookies. I think Hill is actually the 'project' guy this year, and you can already tell Pop is keeping JV as both a mentor and insurance.I guess thats my point he can't develop either of them. Farmer because he's already tapped out on his potential and the other because it seems that Hairston doesn't fit the profile. I still would have stuck it out with Hairston...neither will play why not opt for the player with more upside and youth?

ducks
10-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Sj Did
Hedo Did

ducks
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
If James Became A Spur
Would He Not Live Up To The Hype Either:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit:ihit

ElNono
10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I guess thats my point he can't develop either of them. Farmer because he's already tapped out on his potential and the other because it seems that Hairston doesn't fit the profile. I still would have stuck it out with Hairston...neither will play why not opt for the player with more upside and youth?

Because in the event either Mason or Finley do go down in the next month, Farmer *WILL* play, and considerable minutes. So you want a guy that's ready. It could also happen if we have two SG go down during the season. So it's really a matter of depth. I mean, as far as bigs go, if two go down we still have 3 more to play the positions.

Fingaroll44
10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Nazr never had a clue where to be and Rasho and Beno both lacked male equipment.

Beno showing up toting a purse should've been a clue.

Thomas82
10-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Their roles changed when they changed teams. Rasho was not counted on to score when he came to the Spurs...rather to rebound, screen and defend the paint. Rasho's points output decreased from what they were with the T-Wolves, however, his rebounds and blocks actually increased his next year with the Spurs.

Same thing for Nazr on his role. Once Nazr was brought in, he split time with Rasho and their roles were to rebound, screen and defend the interior.

Bonner hasn't really changed that much from when he was with the Raptors. He wasn't better than Robert Horry before he came to the Spurs, either.

Good post.

sexinthatsx
10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
I think beno getting the MLE from the kings proves that they are overrated in the spurs system. This guy was playing behind Jacque Vaughn for crying out loud

1Parker1
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM

I'd say Finley lived up to his name. I'd say Brent Barry lived up to his name eventually. If you want to count Kurt Thomas, even though technically Spurs got him via trade, I'd say he lived up to his name. Robert Horry definitely lived up to his name after he came to the Spurs. You're just concentrating on the exceptions...