PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox talking smack

Jimcs50
02-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Red Sox's Nixon criticizes A-Rod
Story Tools: Print Email
Howard Ulman / Associated Press
Posted: 17 hours ago

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - Trot Nixon added fuel to the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry on Tuesday by criticizing Alex Rodriguez even before the first spring training workout for either team.

Boston's outfielder praised Rodriguez's playing ability but said New York's third baseman wasn't the "Yankee type."

"I don't look at him as that. He might be in a lot of people's eyes," Nixon said. "He's done some great things on the field. He's one of the best baseball players in the game and probably will be when it's all said and done.

"But when people ask me about the Yankees, I tell them about (Derek) Jeter and Bernie Williams and (Jorge) Posada. I don't tell them about Rodriguez. ... He can't stand up to Jeter in my book or Bernie Williams or Posada."

Rodriguez's spokesman, Steve Fortunato, said he could not reach A-Rod for comment.

Nixon also criticized Rodriguez for slapping the ball away from Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo along the first-base line during Game 6 of the AL championship series and then complaining when he was called out.

"You're the one that swung the bat and hit that little nubber down there," he said of Rodriguez.

Boston became the first major league team to overcome a 3-0 postseason deficit and beat the Yankees for the AL pennant, then went on to sweep St. Louis for its first World Series title since 1918.

Alex Rodriguez has taken a lot of heat from the Red Sox over slapping the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove during Game 7 of the ALCS. (Doug Pensinger / GettyImages)

Yankees position players report Sunday and start workouts Feb. 22. Red Sox pitchers and catchers are due in camp by Thursday with the first full squad workout scheduled for Tuesday. Nixon has been in Fort Myers since last week.

He didn't say that A-Rod had criticized his workout regimen. But Nixon but did say that Rodriguez boasted about his own regimen.

"Like Rodriguez says," Nixon said, "his running stairs at 6 in the morning while I'm sleeping and taking my kids to school. I'm like, well I'm not a deadbeat dad, Alex." :wow

On Nov. 18, Rodriguez's wife gave birth to a daughter.

"He's got a kid now, too, so I guess he'll have his limo driver take her to school," Nixon said. :lol

Nixon also said he respected Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi, who is the focus of a controversy surrounding steroid use in baseball.

Without admitting that he used steroids, Giambi apologized last week to his teammates, fans and the media for distractions he caused.

"I don't feel sorry for Giambi but I do have a great amount of respect for him, for what he's done in this game, the kind of person he is," Nixon said. "He's a superstar and he doesn't act like it.

"A lot of people have lost respect for people like Giambi. I can't judge him for what he did," Nixon added. "I don't even know him that well but I enjoy talking to him over at first base. He's a very good ballplayer. He plays hard. He plays with passion and what's happened to him right now is (that) he seems to be the bullseye" for steroid critics.

T Park
02-16-2005, 04:58 PM
trot sounds a little jealous.

N.Y. Johnny
02-16-2005, 09:47 PM
"But when people ask me about the Yankees, I tell them about (Derek) Jeter and Bernie Williams and (Jorge) Posada. I don't tell them about Rodriguez. ... He can't stand up to Jeter in my book or Bernie Williams or Posada."

:lol How the hell did Posada make that list??? thats ridiculous.
That being said the Red Sox won't let that A-Rod / Arroyo thing go?

Jim He was safe by a mile the Yanks got HOsed on that call and you know it!!! :lol :spin

Das Texan
02-19-2005, 03:51 PM
trot sounds a little jealous.

and arod is still just a player who cant lead his team to winning.

look at what happened to seattle and texas immediately after he left.

N.Y. Johnny
02-19-2005, 11:46 PM
and arod is still just a player who cant lead his team to winning.

look at what happened to seattle and texas immediately after he left.

that being said too, alot was made of NOBODY coming to A-Rod's aid with all that going on. mostly "i got my own problems to worry about" and "I am not getting into that" type of responses by some of the Yanks.

hmmmm makes you wonder if they resent A-Rod in that clubhouse? :king