PDA

View Full Version : Why McCain Won (Great Article)

Mr. Peabody
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
This is the scenario I fear playing out on election day.

http://ndn.newsweek.com/site/images/printpage_newsweek_banner.gif

Why McCain Won
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory: how that scenario could (but likely won't) play out.
Jonathan Alter
NEWSWEEK
From the magazine issue dated Nov 3, 2008

The conventional wisdom, which I share, is that Barack Obama will win this election, perhaps by a healthy margin. But Democrats are nervous wrecks; they're having nightmares that defeat will be snatched from the jaws of victory. To add to their misery (and guard against complacency), here's how that horror film could play out:

In the end, the problem was the LIVs. That's short for "low-information voters," the three fifths of the electorate that shows up once every four years to vote for president but mostly hates politics. These are the 75 million folks who didn't vote in the primaries. They don't read newsmagazines or newspapers, don't watch any cable news and don't cast their ballots early. Their allegiance to a candidate is as easily shed as a T shirt. Several million moved to Obama through September and October; they'd heard he handled himself well in the debates. Then, in the last week, the LIVs swung back to the default choice: John McCain. Some had good reasons other than the color of Obama's skin to desert him; many more did not. In October, a study by the Associated Press estimated that Obama's race would cost him 6 percent. The percentage was smaller, but still enough to give the presidency to McCain.

Obama's field organization was superb, so it was no surprise that most of the 18 million Hillary Clinton voters came home to the Democrats; the person-to-person voter contact (and significant resentment about the selection of Sarah Palin) made a big difference. But the huge swath of more than 30 million independents broke heavily for McCain. By piling up overwhelming margins in big blue states like California, New York and Illinois, Obama carried the popular vote, but he ended up like Al Gore in 2000—denied admission to the Electoral College.

The first ominous sign was largely missed amid the Demo-cratic euphoria after Obama outclassed McCain on the financial crisis. While most of the country moved toward the Democratic nominee in early October, Ohio did not. Obama could never close the sale there. In a repeat of the Democratic primary, his big totals coming out of Cuyahoga County (Cleveland) weren't enough to offset larger-than-expected losses in the suburbs around Cincinnati and Columbus.

Florida had looked promising for Obama for a time, but his weakness among seniors caught up with him. One national poll from early October should have been a warning: it showed him up by 7 overall, but down 14 among those older than 65. And Sarah Silverman's "Great Schlep" fell short. Obama easily carried the Jewish vote, but not with the 75 percent won by Gore and John Kerry. As it turned out, the real problem wasn't south Florida, where Hispanics came in surprisingly well for Obama. It was erosion in the critical I-4 corridor near Tampa and in the Panhandle, where the astonishing Republican margins among whites could be attributed only to race.

Obama shifted New Mexico, Iowa and Nevada from red to blue. But there was a reason Virginia hadn't gone Democratic since 1964. The transformation of the northern part of the state couldn't overcome a huge McCain margin among whites farther south. They weren't the racists of their parents' generation, but they weren't quite ready to vote for the unthinkable, either.

As McCain closed the gap in the last week with his message on taxes and fear of another terrorist attack, the race came down to New Hampshire (which went for Kerry in 2004) and Colorado (which went for President Bush). Obama needed one of them to get to 270 electoral votes. New Hampshire's fabled independents had long had a soft spot for McCain in GOP primaries, and they delivered for him again. Colorado, after flirting with Obama, simply reverted to form, with Palin's frontier image helping a bit.

Obama had wired every college campus in the country, and he enjoyed great enthusiasm among politically engaged young people. But less-engaged students told reporters the day after the election that they had meant to vote for Obama but were "too busy." History held: young people once again voted in lower percentages than their elders. Waiting for them turned out to be like waiting for Godot.

The Obama margin among young voters was underestimated a little in some polls because so many 18- to 24-year-olds use only cell phones. But the deeper failure of the polling came from methodology that could not properly account for the nine in 10 voters who won't answer a polltaker's questions. With ceaseless robo-calls and as many as 15 live calls from campaigns to each household in a swing state, even fewer people than normal took time in the last two weeks to respond. Who were the voters slamming down the phone? Disproportionately for McCain. In rebuffing pollsters, they skewed the sample toward Obama, inflating his "support."

At the start of the campaign season NEWSWEEK asked, "Is America Ready" for a black president? The answer: only if Obama proved close to a flawless candidate, and even then, we won't know for sure until Election Day. That doesn't mean Obama lost because all, or even most, McCain voters allowed race to be a factor. But enough did to change the outcome.

Democrats are despairing over the results, fearing they might never view their country in the same light again. Even many Republicans are subdued at the news of McCain's victory. Having expected him to lose, they know the GOP has now completed a sorry transition from the party of Lincoln to the party of cynicism. McCain, they're reasoning, might prove a fine president, but it shouldn't have happened like this.

It probably won't. Millions of people in the rest of the world assume that Barack Obama cannot be elected because he is black. They assume that the original sin of American history—enshrined in our Constitution—cannot be transcended. I go into next week's election with a different assumption—that the common sense and decency of the American people will prove the skeptics wrong.

boutons_
10-26-2008, 10:30 PM
"common sense and decency of the American people"

Not all of them qualify, eg, the ones who elected dubya twice, and still support McMakesUpShit

TheMadHatter
10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow what that article was scary to read...I can absolutely imagine that scenario playing out. This is why Obama is spending so much damn money, he knows full well the election is not in the bag for him. If it comes down to Gore-Bush margins he does not want to look back and say I could have spent a million more here or there.

Something this article is not pointing out is that the economy is STILL front and center on most voter's mind. They are voting with their checkbooks this time around, race does not trump money. And the young vote will come through for Obama this time because young people are genuinely enthusiastic about him, hell young people are the reason why Obama beat the Clinton machine. Their grass roots efforts made it possible for Obama to have the ground game he has today.

ElNono
10-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I like articles like this one because I think they make great bulleting board material to keep the Obama campaign from getting complacent.

florige
10-27-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm just wondering what last trick McCain and the Repub's have up their sleeve. Obama's speech he gives should give him some good momentum going into next week.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 07:47 AM
So, the moral of the story is, if you don't vote Obama you are either stupid, racist or both?

I voted for Obama, but I find that article incredibly insulting.

byrontx
10-27-2008, 08:02 AM
It will still take a lot of votes to overcome Republican election day shenanigans.

101A
10-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Damn.

That is an insulting article. Every candidate that has ever lost an election has been a white man; but if a black man loses THIS election; we are a racist nation???

If McCain happens to win, and THAT is the only spin the media can come up with; and not look ANY deeper into possibilities of flawed polling, etc....then we'll probably burn ourselves down. Again, I think Obama has this in the bag; but, crap, that article is so slanted it's sick.

Obama is, frankly, NOT that strong of a candidate. He isn't nearly the candidate Bill Clinton was. He is inexperienced, and has a more liberal record; he ALSO has a VERY unpopular Dem. Congress that might bring him down a little (not that the Dem. Congress in '92 was super-popular). Dare I say, if he WASN'T black; he wouldn't have hit the national radar to this point. He sure as hell wouldn't have come out of S. Chicago!

JoeChalupa
10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Anything could happen since the election isn't over yet. I'm not taking anything for granted. Not by a long shot.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
When Obama wins, it will be because MILLIONS of white people voted FOR him and like him as a candidate. When that happens, will this person write a different article?

Findog
10-27-2008, 10:03 AM
For the record, I will state that McCain can still win this. I posted an "It's Over" thread that will be bumped by whottt if McCain wins...but my worry is that the polls are oversampling Democrats, therefore Obama's lead isn't bigger than the pool of undecided voters, some of his support is soft, and the undecideds will break for McCain.

louie1674
10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I guess i can throw everything i believe in out the window and just say that i will not vote for BO is because i am a racist. :jack

Of course i am confused because he is half black... :smchode:

RandomGuy
10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
"common sense and decency of the American people"

Not all of them qualify, eg, the ones who elected dubya twice, and still support McMakesUpShit

McMakesUpShit :lol

PixelPusher
10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I guess i can throw everything i believe in out the window and just say that i will not vote for BO is because i am a racist. :jack

Of course i am confused because he is half black... :smchode:

If you're a conservative ideologue party line voter who votes (R) every election, then this article isn't about you.

It's about guys like this:
ExGERNO9cK0

I'm don't think this guy bases his voting preferences on the nuances of economic policies or differing foreign policy strategies he read about in The Washington Times or The Weekly Standard.

RandomGuy
10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
So, the moral of the story is, if you don't vote Obama you are either stupid, racist or both?

I voted for Obama, but I find that article incredibly insulting.

Not quite.

The author was not saying that everybody who doesn't vote for Obama is a racist.

Anybody honest will say that race is one of the factors in this race, but not a very big one, and this seems to be supported by the polls.

The author was attempting to try and find reasons for an Obama loss, and one of those reasons could very well be that we are, as a country, a bit more racist than most would like to think.

No more, no less.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Not quite.

The author was not saying that everybody who doesn't vote for Obama is a racist.

Anybody honest will say that race is one of the factors in this race, but not a very big one, and this seems to be supported by the polls.

The author was attempting to try and find reasons for an Obama loss, and one of those reasons could very well be that we are, as a country, a bit more racist than most would like to think.

No more, no less.

Is it even conceivable that someone votes for McCain because they think he is a better choice?