PDA

View Full Version : I don't think you guys understand just how good the Lakers will be this season...

TheMadHatter
10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I admit before the pre-season started I was skeptical of how it would all play out. But now that we are here at the end of pre-season about to start the season I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed and exciting about the potential this team has. Furthermore I don't see any team in the league outside of the Celtics and Rockets who have the depth needed to keep up with the Lakers.

The Lakers will be able to keep the foot on the gas for a full 48 minutes. Their 2nd unit is quite capable of going toe-to-toe against most starting 5's in the NBA. Teams that fall behind in the first quarter will not even know what hit them in the 2nd quarter, and by the time the 3rd quarter is over, they will be wondering who DJ Mbenga, Sun Yue, and Coby Karl are and why are they the crowd favorites during the garbage time.

I've seen enough. This team is competing for rings now and for the next 3-5 years easily. The Lakers are about to kick off another dynasty, enjoy the show.

dirk4mvp
10-26-2008, 10:56 PM
They are extra deep at every position. Farmar is pretty damn good. How is Sun Yue doing? From the first 2 preseason games I've seen, he looked scared shitless on the court.

Matchman
10-26-2008, 10:56 PM
lucky im a fan of the Rockets:toast

JamStone
10-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Their 2nd unit is quite capable of going toe-to-toe against most starting 5's in the NBA.

No.

Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Lamar Odom
Luke Walton
Vladimir Radmanovic
Chris Mihm
DJ Mbenga

= 20 win NBA team

IronMexican
10-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Dacos>>Mihm.

monosylab1k
10-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

TheMadHatter
10-26-2008, 11:01 PM
No.

Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Lamar Odom
Luke Walton
Vladimir Radmanovic
Chris Mihm
DJ Mbenga

= 20 win NBA team

Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Trevor Ariza
Lamar Odom
Chris Mihm

I agree, likely a 20-30 win NBA team. But that's my point. They are good enough to be a 20-30 win NBA team. How many 2nd units can you say that about?

Xylus
10-26-2008, 11:09 PM
A team with Lamar Odom as your star player will win you 10 games, at best. Give me a break.

tlongII
10-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Sergio Rodriquez
Rudy Fernandez
Travis Outlaw
Channing Frye
Joel Przybilla

Checkmate

Xylus
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Goran Dragic
Leandro Barbosa
Grant Hill
Boris Diaw
Robin Lopez

That team would kill LA's second unit, though Portland's would be a challenge.

tlongII
10-26-2008, 11:13 PM
And we got Jerryd Bayless and Ike Diogu backing those guys up!

IronMexican
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Farmar > Rodriguez
Sasha < Rudy
Ariza < Outlaw
Odom > Frye
Mihm < Pryz.

So I would give the Blazers an edge on that, but I still think we are the deeper team with Luke, Powell, and Mbenga.

BUMP
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Trevor Ariza
Lamar Odom
Chris Mihm

I agree, likely a 20-30 win NBA team. But that's my point. They are good enough to be a 20-30 win NBA team. How many 2nd units can you say that about?

thats not what you said. you said against most starting 5.

plus

Brandon Bass>>>NBA

so we have the best bench in the league period

jmard5
10-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Once Manu comes back, he will single-handedly wreak havoc on your 2nd unit.

Case closed.

spursfan09
10-26-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm Barack Obama and I approve this message.

:lol

JamStone
10-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Trevor Ariza
Lamar Odom
Chris Mihm

Top dozen teams in the league, maybe more.

Allanon
10-27-2008, 12:03 AM
During preseson, I've seen a very intriguing "2nd unit" for the Lakers that should be quite bad-ass. Phil likes to leave 1-2 starters in with the 2nd unit:

Farmar
Sasha
Ariza
Odom
Bynum

And this was a carryover from last year:
Farmar
Sasha
Kobe
Luke
Bynum

TheMadHatter
10-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I'm digging this defensive lineup:

Farmar
Kobe
Ariza
Pau
Bynum

I don't think we've seen it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if Phil uses this one to close out games when we have the lead.

Udokafan05
10-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Injury to kobe and team doesnt make playoffs

angelbelow
10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
i have been impressed as well. i remember chatting with allanon about how bynum and gasol looked a little off, but that was the 2nd preseason game (i think).

since then ive been impressed as well. defensively and offensively they look good. we'll see if this laker group take advantage of their situation.

Indazone
10-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Lakers suck. Watch their overinflated egos implode this season with Kobe calling out Bynum again and throwing him under the bus. Good Times! :toast

Kai
10-27-2008, 01:45 AM
Lakers suck. Watch their overinflated egos implode this season with Kobe calling out Bynum again and throwing him under the bus. Good Times! :toast

We don't have any room to talk with Artest on our squad.

SpursDynasty
10-27-2008, 02:10 AM
I admit before the pre-season started I was skeptical of how it would all play out. But now that we are here at the end of pre-season about to start the season I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed and exciting about the potential this team has. Furthermore I don't see any team in the league outside of the Celtics and Rockets who have the depth needed to keep up with the Lakers.

The Lakers will be able to keep the foot on the gas for a full 48 minutes. Their 2nd unit is quite capable of going toe-to-toe against most starting 5's in the NBA. Teams that fall behind in the first quarter will not even know what hit them in the 2nd quarter, and by the time the 3rd quarter is over, they will be wondering who DJ Mbenga, Sun Yue, and Coby Karl are and why are they the crowd favorites during the garbage time.

I've seen enough. This team is competing for rings now and for the next 3-5 years easily. The Lakers are about to kick off another dynasty, enjoy the show.

Blah, blah, blah.

I'm still failing to see why any Western Conference team other than the Spurs has what it takes to win the championship. Kobe can't win a championship without Shaq, and Bynum is no Shaq.

turiaf for president
10-27-2008, 02:21 AM
laker fans just keep quiet. all these other fans KNOW how scary the lakers are and deep down inside they know themselves that the lakers will be the best team in the league this year. Watch for Farmar and Ariza. they looked like they owned the court every time they were out there in the preseason.

IronMexican
10-27-2008, 02:22 AM
laker fans just keep quiet. all these other fans KNOW how scary the lakers are and deep down inside they know themselves that the lakers will be the best team in the league this year. Watch for Farmar and Ariza. they looked like they owned the court every time they were out there in the preseason.

They look great coming off the bench. I was real skeptical of Farmar, but he has been proving me wrong this pre season.

turiaf for president
10-27-2008, 02:30 AM
he looks like hes playing at UCLA again. he took over games in the college level and now looks like he can be the best player off the bench for either team on any given night

eisfeld
10-27-2008, 02:49 AM

While the Lakers roster is really deep and they have to be considered as being contenders, I would'nt be so sure that only the Celtics and Rockets may keep up with them. There are 2-3 teams in the West which may handle the Lakers in a 7 game series. It's all about matchups.

IronMexican
10-27-2008, 02:49 AM
It's a shame Ben Howland couldn't get defense into his head. Other than that, he has been playing great. I do get annoyed when he goes inside and gets swatted a lot.

KidCongo
10-27-2008, 04:30 AM
oh please

Killakobe81
10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Goran Dragic
Leandro Barbosa
Grant Hill
Boris Diaw
Robin Lopez

you por delusional soul ...
Ariza dunks on hill (see XMAS last year)
Barbosa Farmar = good matchup slight edge Barbosa offense, Farmar defense Diaw = soft inconsistent ...Id take Odom over him and i LOVED Diaw 3 years ago he has sucked since now Lamar is inconsistent but at least he boards
Lopez saw him play in college a lot he is good not great but so was Mihm in college i will say due to injury slight edge Lopez ...
Sasha the machine puts us over the top Blazers bench much better than Suns ...Suns r done mark it down ...6th seed in West 1str ound loss to ROckets or JAzz ...and pray you dont get spurs Lakers or Hornets or it is a sweep or 5 game series loss

Lakers_55
10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Finally, the season is about to start. Everyone has their opinions, not everyone is right. LA looks just as good as anyone, and will be in the hunt for the title. I agree, we will be in the mix for a ring for several years.

TheMACHINE
10-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Goran Dragic
Leandro Barbosa
Grant Hill
Boris Diaw
Robin Lopez

Your lucky D'antoni is gone or else only 2 of the players from the becnh would be playing. The rest would be DNP.

hater
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I agree unfortunately. lakers will kill. in regular season.

vs. a healthy Spurs in playoffs, I see 50/50

BLACKMAMBA24
10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Radmonovich is starting.The starters and second unit were really clicking against OKC.I do feel they are ahead of last year in regards to continuity + Bynum.Who will foul out first tomorrow Oden or Bynum?

SimonHymen
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't think you guys understand just how mediocre the Lakers will be this season...

Must suck to root for a squad with the supposed best player in the game and get raped by a team where only one of three quality starters played above their game.

TheMACHINE
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't think you guys understand just how mediocre the Lakers will be this season...

Must suck to root for a squad with the supposed best player in the game and get raped by a team where only one of three quality starters played above their game.

Must suck to get laugh at by the second round.

SimonHymen
10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
ANYTHANG IZ POSSSIBBALLLLLLLL!!

Cept Kobe getting a ring without Shaq.

Medvedenko
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
The Lakeshow really does look good and our bench is better than last year where they made huge gains. I like the Lakers chances to reach the finals again and if healthy to reach 65-70 wins.

IronMexican
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Fucking Rocket fans.

Medvedenko
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
The Rockets will be good this year...fans not so much.

SimonHymen
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
70 wins? After even the squad last year surpassed your wildest wet dreams?

stretch
10-27-2008, 04:12 PM
No.

Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Lamar Odom
Luke Walton
Vladimir Radmanovic
Chris Mihm
DJ Mbenga

= 20 win NBA team

:lmao

stretch
10-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Jordan Farmar
Sasha Vujacic
Trevor Ariza
Lamar Odom
Chris Mihm

This has got to be the stupidest shit i've ever heard.

and they would be lucky to win 10 if that is their starting 5.

Allanon
10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
70 wins? After even the squad last year surpassed your wildest wet dreams?

The Lakers, during the games Pau played, won 85% of their games. And this was when teams were trying to get better seeding.

85% over a full season =70 wins.

Bynum + Ariza + Vastly improved Farmar + Full season Pau.

70 wins, that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it. They might even give Jordan's Bulls a run for their money.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 04:35 PM
"I don't think you guys understand just how good the Lakers will be this season..."

We got Laker Nut-huggers all over this forum, we know how great they feel they will be, thanks

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
The Lakers, during the games Pau played, won 85% of their games.

85% over a full season =70 wins.

Bynum + Ariza + Vastly improved Farmar + Full season Pau.

70 wins, that's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

I can't believe you are still on this 70 win kick. A team has to exhaust itself to win 70 games during the year. Also everything has to go 100% perfect.

No Injuries
No lapses in concentration
Exceptional team chemistry
Complete domination over your conference
No Tues nights in New Jersey where you just don't give a fuck

You want 58-60 wins and be ready for the playoffs or beat everyone to shit shooting for 70?

Allanon
10-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I can't believe you are still on this 70 win kick. A team has to exhaust itself to win 70 games during the year. Also everything has to go 100% perfect.

No Injuries
No lapses in concentration
Exceptional team chemistry
Complete domination over your conference
No Tues nights in New Jersey where you just don't give a fuck

You want 58-60 wins and be ready for the playoffs or beat everyone to shit shooting for 70?

Nah, this team is the deepest Lakers team I've ever seen. The "Minute Men" will take care of wins 60-70.

Across the board, you'll see Laker starter minutes drop this year.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Nah, this team is the deepest Lakers team I've ever seen. The "Minute Men" will take care of wins 60-70

You are basically the same team as last year just adding Bynum. Depth alone won't get you 70 wins. You are expecting waaaaaaay too much. Just shoot for the title and a good overall record. Typically teams with dominant reg season fail anyway of late. Spurs won 63 games and lost in 2006. Mavs 67 wins lost in the finals. Pistons won like 65 or 66 games and lost in the playoffs.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Nah, this team is the deepest Lakers team I've ever seen. The "Minute Men" will take care of wins 60-70.

Across the board, you'll see Laker starter minutes drop this year.

And when did you start watching the Lakers 2001?? The deepest you have ever seen. Some of Magics Lakers make this team look like a 2nd rate nothing.

Allanon
10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
And when did you start watching the Lakers 2001?? The deepest you have ever seen. Some of Magics Lakers make this team look like a 2nd rate nothing.

Magic's Lakers were not this deep.

SimonHymen
10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
If there was ever a way to literally fuck your self... then you just did. Now breather easy, and pull it out slow...:lol

Aww poor faker fan upset cause a guy named SimonHymen on his basketball forums doesn't share his wet dream. Get over yourself Kobe Pubes Puller.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Oh Boy

Allanon
10-27-2008, 05:24 PM

Oh Boy

Oh Boy

xtremesteven33
10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Lakers are deep but not deep at the C/PF position. I think they are gonna miss Turiaf alot. I can see them losing games due to some injuries, but i dont see them winning even close to 70 games. I dont even see them winning the 1st spot in the west.

Why do people act like Bynum is freaking Abdul Jabbar? Its ridiculous. People gotta remember hes like 20 years old. No freaking way do i believe a 20 year old center can lead a team to 70 wins much less a championship. Not this year laker fans.

Kobe will be Kobe. Odom leaving the bench wont be as great as people make it out to be. I think he thrives with great players around him but he cant be the kinda 6th man that manu is. no way.

Gasol is a great player but still soft. Radmonovic in the starting 5 makes it easier for alot of teams to deal with now to tell you the truth. hes pretty limited offensively and is not really a dead on shooter like peja or kapono.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Kobe will be Kobe.

Fall flat on his face when it's time to play like a champion, fantasic, look forward to it...

TheMACHINE
10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I dont even see them winning the 1st spot in the west.

Did you see them winning the first spot in the west last year? How bout making the playoffs? How bout getting to the finals?

xtremesteven33
10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Did you see them winning the first spot in the west last year? How bout making the playoffs? How bout getting to the finals?

WOW.....they really seperated themselves from the rest of the teams....1-2 games....:lmao

xtremesteven33
10-27-2008, 05:57 PM

Im not gonna lie i didnt see them getting to the Finals but you also HAVE to take it into consideration there was much controversy regarding last years WCF's.

i wont even get into it at this point.

tlongII
10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
It begins TOMORROW!

lefty
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Stupidest post of all-times

ESPN > Allanon

The Franchise
10-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Al you are usually one of the most sensible Laker fans to post, so I'm going to overlook this one. :lol

Allanon
10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Stupidest post of all-times

ESPN > Allanon

Sure the Magic Lakers were talented, but how many players deep could they go? The Lakers can go 12 deep this year. I believe at their best, Magic's Lakers could go 8 or 9.

Al you are usually one of the most sensible Laker fans to post, so I'm going to overlook this one.

70 wins, deeper than Magic's Lakers? Sure, I can be smokin' crack or watching through homer eyes. It's bold and crazy, I know.

We shall see guys, maybe I'll have to eat crow in a couple of months :D

lefty
10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Sure the Magic Lakers were talented, but how many players deep could they go? The Lakers can go 12 deep this year. I believe at their best, Magic's Lakers could go 8 or 9.

70 wins, deeper than Magic's Lakers? Sure, I can be smokin' crack or watching through homer eyes. It's bold and crazy, I know.

We shall see guys, maybe I'll have to eat crow in a couple of months :D

Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, AC Green, McAdoo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> today's Lakers frontcourt
Magic, Scott, Cooper >>>>>> Kobe, Fish, Sasha

Allanon
10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, AC Green, McAdoo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> today's Lakers frontcourt
Magic, Scott, Cooper >>>>>> Kobe, Fish, Sasha

That's only 8 players and yes, nicer than the current Lakers 8.

But I said deeper because the Lakers can go to 12 men this year.

Farmar, Ariza, Luke, Mihm, Powell are all great subs.

Zee Laker
10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Some of my follow Lakers need to calm the fuck down and drop that 70 wins crap. Season havnt started yet and while looked good in the last couple of the preseason games, people need to remember who we played. CHA, OKC and Barca

I do have high hopes for this Lakers team but lets get to Feb (at least) before we start talking breaking the Bulls record. I dont even care about that record anyway. Just get the Ring and im happy.

lefty
10-27-2008, 07:35 PM
That's only 8 players and yes, nicer than the current Lakers 8.

But I said deeper because the Lakers can go to 12 men this year.

Damn I didn't cout :D

But it's not about quantity.

Think quality

Allanon
10-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Damn I didn't cout :D

But it's not about quantity.

Think quality

Yah, I know it's not the same quality, I was just thinking from the quantity standpoint. :)

The Franchise
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
The Lakers are going to be quite impressive. 70 wins? No. 60 I can see maybe.

BUMP
10-27-2008, 09:16 PM
70 wins?????

uh...no. remember you arent sneaking up on anybody this year. you have the target on your back so you will get your best effort from the...

Spurs
Celtics
Pistons
Mavs (still no pushover)
Hornets
Jazz
Rockets
Blazers
Suns
Clippers

did you guys forget how competitive the West is?

Gino
10-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Goran Dragic
Leandro Barbosa
Grant Hill
Boris Diaw
Robin Lopez

True. The Suns are really deep this year.

TheMadHatter
10-27-2008, 10:06 PM
LOL the Suns?

bostonguy
10-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Lakers have a talented team but their depth is dramatically overrated.

Luke Walton is trash.

Sasha is a nice offensive player but is soft and not a very good defender.

Farmar is looking like he could be something but the jury is still out on him. This is make or break for him this season.

Odom/Ariza could be nice sparks off the bench.

Powell/Mihm are average at best but they arent going to do much other than grab a few boards and have a combined 12 fouls to use. In fact I think they got weaker in this area after losing Ronny.

Overall it isnt a scrub bench but it isnt the deepest bench in the league. It is solid but that is as high as they are going to get.

21_Blessings
10-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Farmar, Ariza, Luke, Mihm, Powell are all great subs.

You forgot Odom.

turiaf for president
10-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Bump!

Roxsfan
10-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Lakers will be good, but not Rocket or Celtic-good:lmao