PDA

View Full Version : Vick not ready to practice

ducks
10-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Vick not ready to practice, but says he wants to jog SaturdayFLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Michael Vick threw the football lightly Thursday for the second straight day, but the Atlanta Falcons' star quarterback says his injured right shin is still too tender for him to practice.

Vick, who hasn't played since breaking his fibula Aug. 16, will try to do some light jogging for the first time Saturday morning.

``The thing I'm trying to do now is put some pressure on my toes,'' Vick said. ``If I can get some push, I'll be all right. Right now, I'm so weak. That just comes from not doing anything on it for five weeks.''

Though the Falcons (1-3) have lost three straight entering a home game Sunday against Minnesota (4-0), Vick isn't pressing to return too quickly. The 23-year-old began working lightly with weights last week. He has tried to maintain his conditioning by riding a stationary bicycle.

``Yesterday was my first day throwing,'' Vick said. ``I really can't step and throw so I can't really throw the ball with a lot of velocity. It was more just tossing.''

Vick set four league records for rushing by a quarterback in 2002, his first full season as a starter. The first-team NFC Pro Bowl selection believes it's still too early to project when he can return to practice.

``I can't even say. Until I get some pressure on my toes, and I can get that push like I want, I won't be effective,'' he said. ``And I'm not coming back and playing until I can be effective.''

Vick's backup, Doug Johnson, has thrown seven of Atlanta's NFL-high eight interceptions. With 13 sacks allowed, the Falcons are tied with Chicago and Philadelphia and trail only Washington (15).

Updated on Thursday, Oct 2, 2003 8:00 pm EDT link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-falcons-vick&prov=ap&type=lgns)