-Demian Maia vs. Nathan Quarry
-Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone

Preliminary Bouts:
-Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
-Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
-Alvin Robinson vs. Mark Bocek
-Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
-Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley

(Yeah this is early to make this thread but I have a feeling a lot of news will come out before the fight.)

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah that is a awesome poster

-Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar
-Gabriel Gonzaga (#7 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Josh Hendricks
-Joe Stevenson (#10 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Kenny Florian
Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory

Evan
10-27-2008, 09:32 AM

UFC has nice clean posters but they are very stale and so many people copy them its time they re-design them. Supposedly the above poster is the Korean version.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Damn you Evan, i was going to start that this morning, but got stuck in a meeting. :hat

Going to be a hell of an event, Randy's reign is over or he defys his age one more time. I do see Brock winning this fight.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 10:01 AM

Agreed on Brock and Gabe, not sure about the others yet.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Another poster

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dd/UFC_91.jpg

desflood
10-27-2008, 10:15 AM
-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
-Joe Stevenson vs. Kenny Florian

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Main Card Bouts:

Still thinking about the rest

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Agreed on Brock and Gabe, not sure about the others yet.

Im on the Fence with the Florian fight.

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 10:34 AM
AT, shaddup.

I didnt say anything :)

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 10:51 AM
It will be hilarious if Brock wins this fight given that there are still so many fans out there that can't get over that a former pro-wrestler has made the transition to MMA successfully. He really shut a lot of people up with the Kimbo comparisons when he beat-down Herring

Evan
10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Damn you Evan, i was going to start that this morning, but got stuck in a meeting. :hat

I think we should do fight threads the Monday after a UFC event.

Thoughts anyone?

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm down with that, gives people more time to spot the thread and chime in

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm down with that, gives people more time to spot the thread and chime in

Yeah Evan sounds good. It would also help fill the new thread quota that douchbag truth so badly needs.

Evan
10-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Racist D-Bag.......

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Racist D-Bag.......

LOL yeah I forgot that part. One would think a Filipino would be far from racist.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm really curious how people see this fight playing out. Anyone who has the time that is picking maybe try and give a sentance or two as to why you think Brock or Randy will win.

Evan
10-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll get back to you on that….I need to see the countdown show and finish Randy's book first.

Anti.Hero
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Captain America will win this.

What better way to go out than to slay the biggest monster.

And I'd give my left kidney to watch it happen.

2centsworth
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Simple, Randy is gonna submit Brock because of the experience factor.

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm really curious how people see this fight playing out. Anyone who has the time that is picking maybe try and give a sentance or two as to why you think Brock or Randy will win.

Brock......He is too powerfull for Randy. He will smother him on the ground the way he did to Herring. Randy has trouble with the big guys (except the big dumb oaf sylvia). Brocks punching power will hurt Randy. Brock dominated Herring and Mir(even though Mir won). He will be cautious when fighting Randy but will come out ahead.

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 01:46 PM
So is there 2 heavy weight champs right now? Nog as the temp and Randy as the current.

polandprzem
10-27-2008, 01:48 PM
I am fricking thinking that randy will win.

Why because he has to.

How he is going to do that?
He will be weighting about 220 maybe 210 and that's lhw weight. He will try to be in his best shepe possible and he can do that being lean. he wants to be as fast as possible and he wants to exchange with the shaved gigant.
When the gigant will want lightheavyweither on the ground he will try for a take down in a wrestling kind of way. I bet Randy was working on guillotine in that situation, he also can sell him a knee. Damn he needs to be acurate as hell.

Knee to the forhead - did I just called that?
If not he will choke him out with guillotine.

:D

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Simple, Randy is gonna submit Brock because of the experience factor.

Less likely than when Mir did that to him. Randy does not have great subs, he likes to wrestle in the clinch and dirty box, Ground and pound. On his back that may be his only option is sub attempts but i think Brock has the power and wrestling to be cautious and stay out of them. I do think if Randy wins a sub will be how but like Brocks odds of avoiding it.

polandprzem
10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
So is there 2 heavy weight champs right now? Nog as the temp and Randy as the current.

Nog as a interim and it will stay that way till they will make unification.

Am I correct?

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
If not he will choke him out with guillotine.

Dude have you seen the size of Brocks Neck??

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Nog as a interim and it will stay that way till they will make unification.

Am I correct?

Yeah I think thats how it works but I wasnt sure.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
What Round A-Train?? I think Brock may need to get this done in the first 3 rds. 5 rounds will be tough with a vet like Randy..

ATRAIN
10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
What Round A-Train?? I think Brock may need to get this done in the first 3 rds. 5 rounds will be tough with a vet like Randy..

I think it will be round 2 or 3. If it goes to 5 he might be able to survive since Brock has great cardio.

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I actually think that Brocks team may be training to get Randy out of there quick. Figuring the longer it goes the less likely we will win, given Randy's experience. Brock may come out flying, looking to end this quick.

dallaskd
10-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Main Card Bouts:
Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
Joe Stevenson vs. Kenny Florian
Demian Maia vs. Nathan Quarry
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone

Preliminary Bouts:
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Alvin Robinson vs. Mark Bocek
Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley

desflood
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
The belief of many MMA experts leading up to Randy Couture's comeback fight against Tim Sylvia in March of 2007 was that "The Natural," gifted as he was, just couldn't overcome Sylvia's massive size advantage.

Couture was giving up six inches in height and some 40 pounds in weight, along with 13 years in age, in fighting for the first time in more than a year. At the time, the analysis made sense. After all, Couture's difficulty in sizing up against super-sized heavyweights in losses to Ricco Rodriguez and Josh Barnett helped convince Couture to move to light heavyweight to extend his career.

However, Couture used the time away from mixed martial arts to reinvent himself and retool his game -- an over-40 renaissance that landed him on top 10 pound-for-pound lists after scintillating victories over Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga.

Some 18 months later, after dispatching Sylvia in one of the most dominant performances of his career, Couture is hearing the same song, only a different verse.

When Couture faces Brock Lesnar in the main event of UFC 91 on Nov. 15 in Las Vegas, the 45-year-old Couture will once again be the smaller man in the octagon. While he'll be able to look the former WWE star in the eye, Couture will likely give away more than 45 pounds.

It's a scenario that Couture has attempted to simulate in his preparation for the fight.

"I brought Josh Hendricks in. He's actually fighting on the same card against Gabe Gonzaga," Couture told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "He's a 245-pound guy with a wrestling background -- a collegiate wrestler at Oklahoma State, my alma mater. I've got guys like Mike Whitehead and a bunch other guys that walk around 240, 250 with good, solid wrestling backgrounds. ... We've got a good crew. They're pushing me and ganging up on me. It's hard to find guys like Brock that are that size and move the way he moves."

Lesnar represents an entirely different challenge for Couture than the one posed by Sylvia. Lesnar is quick and athletic. He also has wrestling skills on par with Couture's. Sylvia had none of those attributes, and Couture took full advantage by initiating the striking with Sylvia, getting him to the ground in the first round and completely baffling and frustrating the champion. Couture expects to draw up a similar plan for Lesnar.

"The more I can make a big guy like that move and make him work, and threaten to take him down ... just because he's 270 pounds doesn't mean I can't take him down. I've taken down bigger guys," Couture said. "So, I can create that threat and that fear in his mind that he's going to end up on the bottom, which is someplace he's not used to being. Those are things that I can focus on, and use speed and mobility and those things as advantages for me."

While the match-up with Lesnar isn't the one Couture -- or many fans -- coveted during his rift with the UFC, Couture's desire to get back in the cage outweighed his craving to tangle with Fedor Emelianenko.

"You have to keep things in perspective," Couture said. "At 45 years old, the window is closing all the time, and that's a realistic view. I'm the best fighter I've been right now, and I need to use these tools while they're still here."

Sorry guys, size matters.

djohn14
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
-Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar-I want Randy to win...but...
-Gabriel Gonzaga (#7 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Josh Hendricks-I dont care
-Joe Stevenson (#10 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Kenny Florian-Pure domination
-Demian Maia vs. Nathan Quarry-I see Nate hurting him, but Maia catching him in a sub!
-Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone-He better

Preliminary Bouts:
-Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory-Should be good
-Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos-Jeremy will tap!
-Alvin Robinson vs. Mark Bocek-Who cares
-Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas-Da Riddler!
-Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley-War Gurgel

dbreiden83080
10-28-2008, 08:28 PM
"The more I can make a big guy like that move and make him work, and threaten to take him down ... just because he's 270 pounds doesn't mean I can't take him down. I've taken down bigger guys," Couture said. "So, I can create that threat and that fear in his mind that he's going to end up on the bottom, which is someplace he's not used to being. Those are things that I can focus on, and use speed and mobility and those things as advantages for me."

Consistantly getting Brock on the Bottom i mean WOW, if he can do that, i'll never say a bad word about Randy for the rest of my life. Can't see it happening though. Brock's got great technique, he is lightyears stronger, more athletic and much more explosive. If Randy gets on top, Brock is going to be able to get up. And he is more of a threat to dump Randy on his head. His last 2 wins he beat up Sylvia who's got good stand-up but is not a great wrestler. Gonzaga, good stand-up and ground game but again not a great wrestler. He hasn't had to face someone like Brock with those wrestling credentials in the HW division really ever. And he's 45.. The pics of Randy training are scary. He looks really really thin. Brock will dwarf him in that ring.

Evan
10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
If Randy's plan truly is to physically move Brock around (which I doubt) then he is insane and it will be a sad fight.

dbreiden83080
10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
If Randy's plan truly is to physically move Brock around (which I doubt) then he is insane and it will be a sad fight.

I doubt it too. He can't believe he is going to bully that monster around. Won't happen.

dbreiden83080
10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
There is a GREAT preview of this fight that just got put up on http://www.ufc.com/ guys

Great interviews, from both Brock and Randy check it out...

cornbread
10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Dude have you seen the size of Brocks Neck??

What neck? His head is just growing directly out of his traps.

dbreiden83080
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
What neck? His head is just growing directly out of his traps.

Pretty much my point

anakha
10-29-2008, 01:26 AM
Agree with a lot of points made here.

Lesnar should still be considered to have a vulnerability to submissions on the ground, given that his last fight never really answered how much he's improved against those.

However, submissions have never really been Couture's game. Ground and Pound, clinches, dirty boxing, and a surprising striking aspect he uncovered against Sylvia - that's been the basis of Couture's style. It's entirely possible he's trained extensively in subs since his last fight, but until he shows it in the fight, any speculation on what additional aspects he may bring to the Lesnar fight will have to stay as such.

Given from what I've seen Couture do in the past, his best approach would be to clinch and dirty box against the cage, which could help minimize Lesnar's speed and power. Simply standing up and engaging in a strikefest is risky, given how fast Lesnar comes out of the gate (strangely enough, I was more pleased by the charging knee he threw at the beginning of the Herring fight, as well as the post-knockdown Lesnarocerus charge, than the knockdown punch itself). Going for GnP is going to be another challenge unto itself - good luck keeping Lesnar on the bottom.

Then again, so many people were dismissing Couture's chances prior to the Sylvia fight, that I can't definitively come out and say Lesnar will win this one. Like the Spurs, you can never really count Couture out of any battle.

polandprzem
10-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Sorry guys, size matters.

Lenght or girth?

LEONARD
10-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Randy tried to outwrestle him to show that he's the better wrestler...

Evan
10-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Randy tried to outwrestle him to show that he's the better wrestler...

Strength is such a big part of wrestling tho…strength matters more in wrestling than any other part of MMA. If Randy does that he is in so much trouble.

dbreiden83080
10-29-2008, 12:39 PM

He's dead meat if he does..

desflood
10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Randy's smarter than that.

I think..

I hope...

desflood
10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Lenght or girth?
Girth.

Evan
10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
*wins*

polandprzem
10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Girth.

:elephant

Rany is fricking smart, he won't tell his gameplan. his gameplan might be way diferent then what he is telling to the media.

dbreiden83080
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I think Randy may try to bait Brock in, spin on him take his back, trip him then get on top. Or really look to stick and move with his boxing. No way he can think he is going to lock up with that beast head on and not get dumped on his head. He will for sure. Brock better not get carried away. I think if he paces himself and doesn't get careless, he wins the fight.

djohn14
10-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Anderson Silva said he wants to fight again as soon as November 15. Correct me if Im wrong, but dosent this takes place on November 15?

Anti.Hero
10-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Tag-Team match!

dbreiden83080
10-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Silva's in that big of a hurry to finish up and retire

angelbelow
10-29-2008, 03:57 PM
im going to be cheering for couture, but lesnar is pretty big.

dbreiden83080
10-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Official Site is up and complete for UFC 91, it's pretty good.

http://server-us.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?ci=us-ufcadtracking&cg=clickthru-octagonsearch&tu=http%3A%2F%2F91%2Eufc%2Ecom

polandprzem
10-30-2008, 03:21 AM
:pctoss x 10000302743765864965000000022020240243054064060460 40604605547070

I will be at work on a fricking night shift. It would be okay as I usualy watched the games and sometimes ufc on my menagers computer, but she put up a password now.

damn!

dbreiden great link :tu

polandprzem
10-30-2008, 04:06 AM
and when you go to the training section one thing oming out clearly. This thing makes those two fighters so much diferent.

Who caught it?

And he said he is drinking about a galon of water so it's not even 4 liters of water and he thinks it is a big amout of water for 270 pounder?

I myself drink about 3 liters, and my friend about 8 liters a day.

And wtf he is eating there?
I haven't eaten a hamburger 10 years now or something.

------------------------

BTW - I always wanted to go and push my body to the limit in a boxing training because I thought it was the most hard indyvidual training, but when I discovered MMA ... yeah it's way better, you've got much more aspects to train.

polandprzem
10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Nobody feel sorry for me :depressed

There is a slight chance I can get the shift change. And there is a chance I can watch on ours comps but without voice.

Ps. Sorry for putting so much unnecessary posts

dbreiden83080
10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
and when you go to the training section one thing oming out clearly. This thing makes those two fighters so much diferent.

Who caught it?

And he said he is drinking about a galon of water so it's not even 4 liters of water and he thinks it is a big amout of water for 270 pounder?

I myself drink about 3 liters, and my friend about 8 liters a day.

And wtf he is eating there?
I haven't eaten a hamburger 10 years now or something.

------------------------

BTW - I always wanted to go and push my body to the limit in a boxing training because I thought it was the most hard indyvidual training, but when I discovered MMA ... yeah it's way better, you've got much more aspects to train.

That training session was for the Mir fight so who knows exactly what Brock is doing now. I'm sure with all the people he has around him, he's in good hands..

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
are we posting predicitions here?

polandprzem
10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Who caught it?

dallaskd
10-30-2008, 09:23 PM

yes.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Lesnar is going to own this chump. The fighting universe has never seen a guy with Lesnar's chode-like mass and such lightning quick speed.

dbreiden83080
10-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Yep, we'll collect them and add it to the total in the results thread

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 12:53 AM
I see, everybody don't give a damn about me :)

Okay, I was saying about the differnce in two films with training.
The difference is that Lesnar says he hates doing this doing that, that's why he is pushing forward.
Courture is made to train, that's the whole deal with fighting - you train so hard and fricking long for a fight that might end up in one minute.
He loves training he loves fighting. And you can gain from his experience and his philosophy of life.

:tu

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 02:13 AM
I see, everybody don't give a damn about me :)

Okay, I was saying about the differnce in two films with training.
The difference is that Lesnar says he hates doing this doing that, that's why he is pushing forward.
Courture is made to train, that's the whole deal with fighting - you train so hard and fricking long for a fight that might end up in one minute.
He loves training he loves fighting. And you can gain from his experience and his philosophy of life.

When Brock is on camera he is playing a character..

He is ready for this fight. He is bigger, stronger and in better shape than Randy. The dude after a full day's training went to the gym on his own and did a heavy lifting routine. Randy is not busting his ass like Brock is, he is too old. He has too train smarter, not harder. His body can't take what Brock puts himself through.. There is no comparison...

If you attempted to put Randy through what Brock did on that Video, with all his injuries and his age he'd not be able to handle it at all...

Not too mention that video is almost 2 years old...

angelbelow
10-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Main Card Bouts:

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 07:26 AM
When Brock is on camera he is playing a character..

He is ready for this fight. He is bigger, stronger and in better shape than Randy. The dude after a full day's training went to the gym on his own and did a heavy lifting routine. Randy is not busting his ass like Brock is, he is too old. He has too train smarter, not harder. His body can't take what Brock puts himself through.. There is no comparison...

If you attempted to put Randy through what Brock did on that Video, with all his injuries and his age he'd not be able to handle it at all...

Not too mention that video is almost 2 years old...

So why didn't they put something more recent?

Plus i was talking about something else :rolleyes

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 07:46 AM
-Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar ( :) )

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 10:30 AM
So why didn't they put something more recent?

Probably have to wait for the countdown show

Plus i was talking about something else :rolleyes

I addressed what you were talking about..

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Simple

randy - loves to train
lesnar - hates to train (specific things)

As for the rest:
Brock has more power and can do more. But I don't know if would be able to do same training working on conditioning.
btw. Randy must to somehow level up his testostereon, either in natural way or not natural way.

btwbtw. Where did "Natrural" nick came from?

Evan
10-31-2008, 12:04 PM
btwbtw. Where did "Natrural" nick came from?

Because of how "naturally" he picked up MMA at his age.

"Captain America" came from Joe Rogan.

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 12:04 PM
randy - loves to train
lesnar - hates to train (specific things)

Everyone hates to train certain things. Just because you didn't hear Randy say it, doesn't mean he loves every aspect of training. You push through it because you have too. I didn't see Randy throwing Boxing Heavy Bags straight up over his head, 15 times in a row..

Brock has more power and can do more. But I don't know if would be able to do same training working on conditioning.

His conditioning might be better than Randy's based on that video piece. Dude was running from cardio machine to machine like an animal, to simulate 5 rounds.

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Everyone hates to train certain things. Just because you didn't hear Randy say it, doesn't mean he loves every aspect of training. You push through it because you have too. I didn't see Randy throwing Boxing Heavy Bags straight up over his head, 15 times in a row..

Was I talking about bags and how many times he throw it?
Many times I heard randy say that he loves doing it. Loves to train and loves to fight.
Lesnar loves to whoop asses (to quote the rampage), and he goes into the octagon to beat somebody up.
Randy likes to outsmart the guy he is faceing. Mix Martial ARTS

That's the difference I see.
And I'm not taking away nothing from Brock

His conditioning might be better than Randy's based on that video piece. Dude was running from cardio machine to machine like an animal, to simulate 5 rounds.

Yes - because MMA fighters had to be great athletes with phenomenal cardio.

But his diet :rolleyes

:lol

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Was I talking about bags and how many times he throw it?

No you weren't, that's what i'm saying. 2 different kinds of athletes with different ways of training. When somone says "I hate this exercise" but they do it 20 times in a row at max intensity that is some pretty bad ass mental toughness.

Yes - because MMA fighters had to be great athletes with phenomenal cardio.

But his diet :rolleyes

If what Brock's trainer said is accurate about his training being so intense, he has trouble keeping weight on and he wants to come in around 280 once he bulks back up after weigh ins, than high calaries is probably the way to go for him. Everyone is different, i have read some crazy diet programs for Boxers in my life and it's not like Brock doesn't have world class people advising him on everything. And i don' think seeing him eat one meal in a 2 year old video is indicitive of much anyway..

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
One last thing about the diet, that piece on Randy was from the Gonzaga fight when they did a piece on him. What isn't shown is when Rachelle Leah visits Randy at his house and he is in his backyard grilling up and eating burgers and hot-dogs, talking about "How great it is to be a heavyweight now" so make what you will of that i guess...

BlackSwordsMan
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Couture via text message from fedor to lesnar to throw the fight

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Couture via text message from fedor to lesnar to throw the fight

Fedor is a little busy getting ready for Andrei and then fighting some can off a reality show.. :p:

Evan loves Fedor and his cans :hat

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
No you weren't, that's what i'm saying. 2 different kinds of athletes with different ways of training. When somone says "I hate this exercise" but they do it 20 times in a row at max intensity that is some pretty bad ass mental toughness.

It is
Have I said different?

If what Brock's trainer said is accurate about his training being so intense, he has trouble keeping weight on and he wants to come in around 280 once he bulks back up after weigh ins, than high calaries is probably the way to go for him. Everyone is different, i have read some crazy diet programs for Boxers in my life and it's not like Brock doesn't have world class people advising him on everything. And i don' think seeing him eat one meal in a 2 year old video is indicitive of much anyway..

Now he is eating hot-dogs as an high calorie diet :D

Nevermind, all in all stronmen are eating every fricking thing and they burn it on trainings, and they do not give much of a damn if something is more healthier then the other.

But I don't like it.
I'm trying to eat what is good, and I feel better. I see the difference when I will eat piece of a pizza or "kebab" I feel not fine.

btw. Are you engry at me in some degree that I hate Brock and you are thinking that I just like to bash him?
I like to bash him, but it's not changing anything in what kind of fighter and great athlete Brock is. I know he is awe-frickin-some.

One more thing - many guy undervaule the "art" aspect of fights.
I'm not saying you are. Because Brock other then his phisic has great skills. That's why he is right there in the mix of the best HW in the World.
But yes - he has weakneses that Randy will try to expose and take adventage of.

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
One last thing about the diet, that piece on Randy was from the Gonzaga fight when they did a piece on him. What isn't shown is when Rachelle Leah visits Randy at his house and he is in his backyard grilling up and eating burgers and hot-dogs, talking about "How great it is to be a heavyweight now" so make what you will of that i guess...

It depends how you do the stuff on barbecue.
barbecue is heatlhy shit when done right.

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
btw. Are you engry at me in some degree that I hate Brock and you are thinking that I just like to bash him?
I like to bash him, but it's not changing anything in what kind of fighter and great athlete Brock is. I know he is awe-frickin-some.

Why would you think i am angry at you? I thought we were having a perfectly civilized discussion. Just a little different take on what we saw in the video, nothing more.. No biggie..

One more thing - many guy undervaule the "art" aspect of fights.
I'm not saying you are. Because Brock other then his phisic has great skills. That's why he is right there in the mix of the best HW in the World.
But yes - he has weakneses that Randy will try to expose and take adventage of.

No doubt he's got weaknesses and if he loses it will be the more experienced and well rounded Randy exploiting it. Styles make fights though, and i do think Brock is a bad match-up for Randy given that Randy's best aspect, his wrestling and ability to control his opponent is really not his edge in this fight..

dbreiden83080
10-31-2008, 01:07 PM
It depends how you do the stuff on barbecue.
barbecue is heatlhy shit when done right.

He was grilling up cheese-burgers and Hot-Dogs. Probably was Randy's cheat day, by the way he was talking how "he was not as worried about his weight anymore". Most fighters do that in training. I think we are making waaay to much of the diet. These guys know what they are doing.

polandprzem
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I thought we were having a perfectly civilized discussion

gooooood :tu

Because lately many posters are too tense and thinking that I'm offensive in every post I post :)

Don't worry - randy will find smething else.
Brock still do not klnow what to do with oponent on the ground although Herring was hopeless. I wonder what randy can do about it?
But Lesnar is like a bull (as I mentioned it earlier), he just goes forward not thinking much. he wants to destroy his opponent. That kind of fighting takes the crowd. Not me, I like randy style better, finding weaknesses of an opponent and try to outthink him.

We can end the diet discussion :)

But hamburger in a pub with ketchup or something ...........

These guys know what they are doing.
well not exactly. You could think that bodybuilders know everything about diet and how to eat good stuff and they know the nutrition and supplements. That's not truth cause in most cases, they eat shitty food and taking what they got from a company they are promoting products. More the thet they are not working out the most effective way. (small details matter).
But it's a different sport and different topic although it connects someway

dallaskd
11-01-2008, 09:23 PM
91.ufc.com

check it out. if your not rooting for Randy you don't have a soul.

Evan
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
91.ufc.com

Rooting for Lesnar and I sleep like a puppy at night.

polandprzem
11-02-2008, 02:38 AM
91.ufc.com

last two pages was about that material

polandprzem
11-02-2008, 02:41 AM
btw.

hey guys have you send a PM to Kori or timvp about the vbooks?

dallaskd
11-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar ( :) )

For those picking Lesnar don't try to jump back on the bandwagon after the fight. :)

Evan
11-02-2008, 01:14 PM

For those picking Lesnar don't try to jump back on the bandwagon after the fight. :)

I never left it. I love Randy...its just too many factors against him.

Sissiborgo
11-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Lesnar will get this fight..

polandprzem
11-02-2008, 03:36 PM

Time to destroy those factors and bulid a new one !

Rip-Hamilton32
11-02-2008, 04:57 PM
lesnar by tko in the first round

dallaskd
11-02-2008, 04:59 PM
lesnar by tko in the first round

LOL

I can't wait till this fight. Ive heard this story so many times and this time Lesnar has 3 fights.

Evan
11-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Overall I would say everyone is split 50/50. Lesnar is worth his weight in gold whether he loses this fight or not.

Unless he gets neck cranked within a minute...

tlongII
11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Randy's going to beat the shit out of Brock.

Evan
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Randy's going to beat the shit out of Brock.

How?

dallaskd
11-02-2008, 07:10 PM
How?

knee to the forehead

dallaskd
11-02-2008, 09:40 PM

Who are you rooting for is what im asking, not picking. is it possible to love someone and root against them?

Evan
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Who are you rooting for is what im asking, not picking. is it possible to love someone and root against them?

I'm rooting for Lesnar but I love Randy although his contract mess really dampened my opinion of him. The entire thing was him pouting because of the contract offer Fedor got.

Randy has done what he can do physically for the sport....he has a lot left to give but not in the cage.

Sports thrive on personality and MMA is in dire need of personality that stands out right now. Brock winning will do a lot of good for this sport as MMA really needs someone who is elite who can handle a camera. Just watch InsideMMA on HDNet regularly and you will see how 99% of these guys wilt on camera. They just don't know how to deal with it. NBA and NFL guys slowly get into media relations from high school, college and then pro...MMA guys go from some small stinking gym in Portland to the spot light and they freak out when the camera rolls.

Contrary to popular opinion I don't think Tito is too good at this since he is so introverted. Although just the fact that he can do it makes him stand out.

This is one reason I was rooting so hard for Rampage to beat Chuck way back when but Rampage blew a mental gasket so thats that.

Roger Huerta was being groomed by the UFC but he drank his own Kool-Aid and thought he was better than BJ Penn.

GSP is soooo close. His English just needs to get a bit better.

Franklin was excellent at it but he has faded into the background as he is slowly riding into the sunset.

Chuck literally embarrassed MMA fans falling asleep on set.

There are countless more but those are a few examples of a glaring weakness in MMA media relations. Somebody...some fighter needs to get out there and represent the sport. There is nothing wrong with Brock....he is intelligent and can clearly explain the difference between the WWF and MMA as we recently saw in that ESPN clip which MMA needs since so many get the two confused.

MMA is gaining momentum but that Kimbo mess knocked it down a few pegs. For God's sake even my father asked me about Kimbo and I am pretty sure he can't tell me who Forrest Griffin is. :p:

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM

Same here Randy is one of my all time faves but Brock is the real deal even after just 3 fights. Randy wont defy the odds this time. This fight cant get here soon enough.

tlongII
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
How?

Cardio.

Anti.Hero
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Heart.

dbreiden83080
11-03-2008, 11:19 AM

91.ufc.com

Why do you seem to have animosity for those picking Brock to win the fight and for Brock himself? Randy is a legend in the sport that won't change win or lose this fight. Brock is a young lion and it would make a greater impact in the MMA world if he dethroned Randy. Of course you are a fan of Randy and that's great but you seem to feel others are crazy for thinking he'll lose the fight. Maybe you are just gearing up to talk smack if it goes your way.. I'll be sure to give you shit about Ken-Flo and Joe Daddy if you mess that up. :hat

I'm rooting for Lesnar but I love Randy although his contract mess really dampened my opinion of him. The entire thing was him pouting because of the contract offer Fedor got.

Randy has done what he can do physically for the sport....he has a lot left to give but not in the cage.

Sports thrive on personality and MMA is in dire need of personality that stands out right now. Brock winning will do a lot of good for this sport as MMA really needs someone who is elite who can handle a camera. Just watch InsideMMA on HDNet regularly and you will see how 99% of these guys wilt on camera. They just don't know how to deal with it. NBA and NFL guys slowly get into media relations from high school, college and then pro...MMA guys go from some small stinking gym in Portland to the spot light and they freak out when the camera rolls.

Contrary to popular opinion I don't think Tito is too good at this since he is so introverted. Although just the fact that he can do it makes him stand out.

This is one reason I was rooting so hard for Rampage to beat Chuck way back when but Rampage blew a mental gasket so thats that.

Roger Huerta was being groomed by the UFC but he drank his own Kool-Aid and thought he was better than BJ Penn.

GSP is soooo close. His English just needs to get a bit better.

Franklin was excellent at it but he has faded into the background as he is slowly riding into the sunset.

Chuck literally embarrassed MMA fans falling asleep on set.

There are countless more but those are a few examples of a glaring weakness in MMA media relations. Somebody...some fighter needs to get out there and represent the sport. There is nothing wrong with Brock....he is intelligent and can clearly explain the difference between the WWF and MMA as we recently saw in that ESPN clip which MMA needs since so many get the two confused.

MMA is gaining momentum but that Kimbo mess knocked it down a few pegs. For God's sake even my father asked me about Kimbo and I am pretty sure he can't tell me who Forrest Griffin is. :p:

Very well said and i agree with really all of this. So few guys that can handle the spotlight and the camera in MMA. Even some of the best fighters in the world wilt under the lights..

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Im Rooting for Brock and Arlovski..........Anyone have anything to say about that?:ihit

dbreiden83080
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
"GSP is soooo close. His English just needs to get a bit better"

Hey those that can't understand GSP, simply can't "A'ndle his Riddum" :p:

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
"GSP is soooo close. His English just needs to get a bit better"

Hey those that can't understand GSP, simply can't "A'ndle his Riddum" :p:

Hey GSP isnt on this card, please try and stick to the subject thank you!! hahah

dbreiden83080
11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Im Rooting for Brock and Arlovski..........Anyone have anything to say about that?:ihit

Actually i think it would be a good thing for MMA for Andrei to win that fight. I like Fedor but this whole "The best fighter in the world not being in the UFC thing" is getting annoying..

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Actually i think it would be a good thing for MMA for Andrei to win that fight. I like Fedor but this whole "The best fighter in the world not being in the UFC thing" is getting annoying..

I agree and both AA and Brock winning would be good for the sport. Having Penn win would be great for the sport too ;)!!

dbreiden83080
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey GSP isnt on this card, please try and stick to the subject thank you!! hahah

Are you saying you can't a'ndle his Riddum? :p:

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Are you saying you can't a'ndle his Riddum? :p:

LOL is that what they call it. Those French Canadians are sooo hard to understand.

ATRAIN
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Anyone in Austin, im getting the fight with no cover. Just byob.

oligarchy
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McRory

Prelim:
Stephens, Robinson, Riddle, Gurgel

polandprzem
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, if I will get the source (which will be on 98.976%) I need nothing more cause I took care about vision and sound at night @ work!

Just wanted to el you that.

Evan
11-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Do you mean watching the fight online?

polandprzem
11-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Good ol' spanking

is Lesnar ready for this?

http://mmaprofiles.com/import/graphics/Funny/Randy_Couture_Discipline.jpg

ATRAIN
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Good ol' spanking

LOL not going to happen that I can almost promise you!!

dbreiden83080
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Good ol' spanking

Yeah i don't think so...

Randy will have a hard enough time, staying on his feet in this fight...

Evan
11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Randy talked about that in his book...he said a lot of people thought he was tapping out and it was one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made in a fight.

ATRAIN
11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Randy talked about that in his book...he said a lot of people thought he was tapping out and it was one of the biggest mistakes he has ever made in a fight.

LOL

ATRAIN
11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Well is Randy ready to get rode like a horse ala Brock pretending to ride and rope Herring

I couldnt find a picture :(

Anti.Hero
11-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Him spanking Ortiz like that was one of the best moments in UFC history.

Well, not really but damn it was funny. He completely 100% dominated that fight...and then to spank him on the ass hahah

dbreiden83080
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Him spanking Ortiz like that was one of the best moments in UFC history.

Well, not really but damn it was funny. He completely 100% dominated that fight...and then to spank him on the ass hahah

As a Tito fan that moment fucking sucked for me.. :depressed

That was the first fight actually, people really saw that Tito was overrated..

dallaskd
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Outside of Lesnar-Couture. Anybody else on the Kenflo train?

dbreiden83080
11-04-2008, 08:50 PM

I think so, still not sure about that one..

dallaskd
11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
here we go....

Main Card Bouts:
Amir Sadollah vs. Nick Catone

Preliminary Bouts:
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Alvin Robinson vs. Mark Bocek
Matt Riddle vs. Ryan Thomas
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley

still torn on Robinson-Bocek but that fight shouldn't count into out records.

dallaskd
11-04-2008, 08:53 PM
already posted my predictions, but oh well..

Evan
11-04-2008, 08:54 PM

I'm almost there.

Dude doesn't understand what "I can't do it" means. How can you not love that?

Anti.Hero
11-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I love Kenflo.

I laughed at this guy when I first saw him. Then I was amazed how he kept winning and winning and winning.

BlackSwordsMan
11-04-2008, 11:31 PM

Wow that would have been crazy if the fight was stopped. :wow

Evan
11-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Wow that would have been crazy if the fight was stopped. :wow

He mentioned that if it had been anyone but Big John who knows what he is doing it might have been stopped.

I have seen that replay a million times and never once thought about someone mistaking what happened.

dallaskd
11-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Wow never thought of that. Could have been a huge mistake. lol

desflood
11-05-2008, 06:32 AM
I've said this before, but again: I never pick against Ken Florian. Ever. Every fight he has, everyone says, "He'll be crushed! Killed!" and he always pulls it out somehow. Even the fights that should have been massacres (Sherk) the other guy always comes out looking like he wrestled a bear.

Gotta pick Ken. Even if he does have one of the worst nicknames in mma.

LEONARD
11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I've become a Florian fan...will stop doubting him, until he faces BJ...then he'll lose...

dbreiden83080
11-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Brocks MMA coach with some insight on his training and the fight, some interesting stuff...

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=VideoPlayer.home&gid=15667

polandprzem
11-06-2008, 04:32 AM
Brock is a fresh meat!

LEONARD
11-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Preview videos
http://mmamania.com/2008/11/06/brock-lesnar-vs-randy-couture-video-ufc-91-fight-talk-part-2/

dbreiden83080
11-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I literally thought the guy interviewing Randy in that first spot was about to get on his knees undo Randy's zipper and go to town,

What a biased piece of crap that was..

Evan
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I literally thought the guy interviewing Randy in that first spot was about to get on his knees undo Randy's zipper and go to town,

MMA media sucks so bad. Its more biased than Al Jazeera and Foxnews and of worse quality than your local PBS.

Unless its fightopinion or bloodyelbow

dallaskd
11-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Kind of like you and gsp

dbreiden83080
11-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Kind of like you and gsp

Or you and Randy, or BJ Penn

I'm a fan, just like you fella... Not interviewing fighters and giving running biased commentary..

dallaskd
11-06-2008, 10:30 PM

Franklin and Sherk have the toughest training ive ever seen. I don't care how good Brock's camp is, no way it has the talent Randy sees everyday at Xtreme Couture.

dbreiden83080
11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Franklin and Sherk have the toughest training ive ever seen. I don't care how good Brock's camp is, no way it has the talent Randy sees everyday at Xtreme Couture.

What does this have to do with that post exactly?? And finding training partners to mimic Brock is not exactly a dime a dozen. He can find some guys but not many.. I don't know if anyone moves like Brock with his size and power.

cornbread
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I have seen that replay a million times and never once thought about someone mistaking what happened.

It's the first thing I thought when I first saw it. Luckily Big John knows his shit and realized that there was no possible way that Tito could cause him to tap at that moment.

cornbread
11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Dallaskd, I'm also on the Kenflo train. I think he can beat any of the LWs besides Sherk and BJ. Unfortunately, I think those guys will be his ceiling.

dbreiden83080
11-07-2008, 10:55 PM
***ESPN Article on Brock's Submission Game & Training Camp***

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3672982

"When the Randy Couture/Brock Lesnar fight was announced a few months ago, the immediate breakdown was: Lesnar had age, size and speed on his side. Couture had experience and submissions as his advantages. Wrestling? Well, we'll call it a draw, even though Lesnar had a far more accomplished college career.

According to people inside Lesnar's camp, you can consider submissions essentially a draw at this point. (Of course, that's what people inside Lesnar's camp are supposed to say.)

Six months ago during interviews, both Nick Thompson and teammate Travis Wiuff said very different things about Lesnar's jiu-jitsu. Both admitted Lesnar had a long way to go with his grappling.

Fast forward to now. Thompson is one of the most underrated fighters on the planet (he's won 12 of his last 13 fights, the one defeat coming in July against Jake Shields), and maybe the smartest, too—a few days after the Shields loss, Thompson took the Minnesota bar exam and passed. Even as a Lesnar teammate, Thompson's opinions are worth listening to.

"Brock has gotten ridiculous on the ground," Thompson says. "Most of the black-belt level guys in our camp are 200-225 pounds and used to roll with Brock and tap him—including me. Forget it now. I highly doubt there will be a submission that ends this fight. But if there is one, don't be surprised if it's Brock tapping out Randy."

Lesnar by no means lacks confidence—he thinks he's going to win every fight, including against Couture. But he downplays his jiu-jitsu. "Oh, I'm not in Randy's league yet there," he says. "I still am just a meathead wrestler trying to learn this stuff."

Lesnar actually points to a different secret weapon for this fight: training partner Marty Morgan. After 16 years as Minnesota's top assistant wrestling coach, Morgan, the 1990 NCAA champion at 177 pounds, resigned his staff spot two months ago to go work at Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts Academy. Specifically, the former American Greco-Roman Olympic wannabe came in to train with Lesnar. Even more specifically, Morgan brought with him intimate knowledge of Couture, a former training partner as they both tried to make the 1992 and 1996 Olympic teams. "Marty is a huge help—huge," Lesnar says. "He's great to have around just because of his wrestling background. But throw in his experience around Randy, knowing how he thinks and battles, and I think Marty is a major asset for me."

As his training camp winds down, Lesnar is itching to get in the cage. It's been years now since he last won a title, and that spot around his waist, the one that for a long time was occupied by a gigantic pro wrestling heavyweight title belt, has been gold-free for a long time. Too long, by his estimation.

"I had to practice wearing that thing around, because it was so heavy," Lesnar says. "But I eventually got good at it. I don't want that skill to go to waste much longer."

Evan
11-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Good read...have to wonder how much they're paying Morgan....10k? 20k?

dbreiden83080
11-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Preview of the Countdown show is on UFC.com now, looks really really good..

Avitus1
11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I gotta go with Cap here I'm sure he'll submit Brock by the second round.

dallaskd
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
When it comes to breaking down the career of Randy Couture, the numbers (all UFC records) are undeniable – 14 championship fights, 42 championship rounds, 9 championship fight wins, and 5 knockout wins in title fights.

dbreiden83080
11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Alright i'm finally ready to lock in my picks..

Main Card Bouts:

I just don't think Randy can win unless he gets a sub or maybe a flash KO. Can't count Randy out ever but I say Brock by 2nd or 3rd RD TKO or maybe even lays on Randy and wins a decision. I hope it is exciting nomatter what. This is a huge fight for MMA.. A ton of people will see this fight..

I think Kenny will grind it out but it is a tough call. I like his stand-up better than Joe, Both are good on the ground, so i think Kenny will take it..

Gabe gets it to the ground with strikes and ends it with his Sub's probably in the first 2 rds. I doubt a decision here..

Love Maia's ground game in this one, Nate is dead if it hits the ground, don't see him with the KO, Maia by Sub Round 2...

Evan
11-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Can't count Randy out ever but I say Brock by 2nd or 3rd RD TKO or maybe even lays on Randy and wins a decision.

You know I can't ever see Brock doing that. I think he knows how much he has in his gas tank with those huge muscles and I think he knows that the longer he takes a fight the less chance he has of winning.

dbreiden83080
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
You know I can't ever see Brock doing that. I think he knows how much he has in his gas tank with those huge muscles and I think he knows that the longer he takes a fight the less chance he has of winning.

Well he looked good to me after 3 against Herring and lets face it if Brock is going to have a bright future in the UFC, he better find a way to go 5 rds, without being out of gas.. We'll see if he can do it, if he is unable to finish, i don't count him out of 5 rds though, not with his work ethic..

dallaskd
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Sherk is the only other fighter that seems to be picking Lesnar. Everyone else knows Randy too well. I wonder if Sherk and Lesnar buy from the same guy.

Evan
11-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Sherk is the only other fighter that seems to be picking Lesnar. Everyone else knows Randy too well. I wonder if Sherk and Lesnar buy from the same guy.

Inside MMA had a lot of pros pick the fight and it was pretty even.

dbreiden83080
11-09-2008, 05:42 PM

Well they train at the same camp right? So yeah he is going to pick Brock.. And most of the fighters should pick Randy. I probably would to if i was a fighter because you want to feel like experience wins out..

Evan
11-09-2008, 06:06 PM
People that were picking Lesnar were saying how evolved he has become as a fighter with training based on training with him or knowing someone that has.

People that were picking Randy were basing it on experience and "you can never count Randy out"

so there's that.....

dbreiden83080
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
People that were picking Lesnar were saying how evolved he has become as a fighter with training based on training with him or knowing someone that has.

People that were picking Randy were basing it on experience and "you can never count Randy out"

so there's that.....

I'll say this, if there is any truth to what that artice i posted said about Brock now being very tough to tap out in camp from top JJ guys, combined with Randy not being much a JJ guy, that is bad news for Randy and his only chance may now be dragging Brock into deep water and banking on conditioning or a flash KO..

Speaking of Which Evan, Brocks trainer said in an interview, i think is still on UFC.com that he's lifted weights much less this camp to focus more and more on cardio. That he's been pushed 5 rds in camp numerous times and he's just fine with it.. So i guess that his trainers are almost banking on 5 rds and Brock will come in not quite as big to have better cardio, we'll see...

Evan
11-09-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah...you know he did look really good in the Heath Herring fight throughout the entire thing. These big dudes in WWE and Linemen in the NFL seem to have great cardio so I guess the more muscle/oxygen argument doesn't always hold true.

dbreiden83080
11-09-2008, 07:39 PM
New Article just up on UFC.com

"The Numbers Game, Part Two – Brock’s TurnBy Thomas Gerbasi

In what has been a respectful lead-up to Saturday’s SuperFight between UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture and Brock Lesnar, the only really pointed barbs directed at the challenger have come from fans and media wondering if a fighter entering only his fourth pro fight should be receiving a world title shot.

The answer to that is in the UFC history books, where 18 fighters have fought for UFC crowns with less than 10 pro bouts, including fighters such as Couture, BJ Penn, Georges St-Pierre, Tito Ortiz, Mark Coleman, Kenny Florian, Kevin Randleman and Frank Mir. Not too shabby company to keep, first of all, but secondly, consider that the man Lesnar is facing in the UFC 91 main event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Couture, fought and beat Maurice Smith for the heavyweight belt in his fourth pro fight in 1997.

As for Lesnar’s take on the whole situation, he said during a recent media teleconference, “This is a once-in-a-life opportunity for me. And anybody that would be in my position would never have turned this fight down. Dana and Zuffa and the UFC, they put on fights that people want to see. And Brock Lesnar versus Randy Couture for the heavyweight title is a fight that people are going to tune in and want to see. So, you can’t take that away from myself or from Randy or from the company. This company puts on fights that people are interested in watching.”

So why the uproar? Maybe it’s that most fans and media members are still infatuated with the boxing model of the modern era, where boxers generally fight for world titles after 20-25 fights. What they don’t realize though is that most of these boxers have feasted on no-hopers and journeymen for most of those record-building bouts. Mixed martial artists don’t have that luxury, especially at the UFC-level, where you’re tossed into the deep end of the pool from the start.

Let’s look at a couple of current examples.

Rising star Andre Berto, a 2004 Olympian for Haiti and the son of Dieuseul Berto, a UFC 10 veteran, recently won the vacant WBC welterweight title with a 2008 win over Miguel Angel Rodriguez. He entered the bout with a 21-0 record. Look at the record and pick out the world-class opposition on there – Michel Trabant, David Estrada, Cosme Rivera, and if you’re really reaching, Norberto Bravo. Three or four names tops. Contrast this to current lightweight and former welterweight champ BJ Penn, who knocked out world-ranked opposition Din Thomas and Caol Uno in his second and third pro fights, which propelled him into a 2002 title fight against Jens Pulver, which he ultimately lost via a close five round majority decision.

And what about one of boxing’s biggest current stars, future hall of famer Joe Calzaghe, who is coming off one of the biggest wins of his career over Roy Jones? When he entered his first world title bout against Chris Eubank in 1997 at 22-0, the only world-class opposition he faced to that point was Luciano Torres and maybe then-21-0 Mark Delaney. How does that compare to Tito Ortiz, who fought Jerry Bohlander and Guy Mezger (twice) en route to a 1999 title fight against Frank Shamrock in his sixth pro bout?

The point is, it’s not the quantity of fights, but the quality. Lesnar admittedly opened up his career against the less than stellar Min Soo Kim, but in Kim’s defense, he was an Olympic silver medalist in judo who had previously been in with Semmy Schilt, Ray Sefo, Don Frye, and Bob Sapp before getting obliterated in 69 seconds by Lesnar. Next up for the former NCAA Division I National wrestling champ was Frank Mir, and if you take away a questionable stoppage of the action and point deduction and Lesnar could conceivably be undefeated right now. But it was his third fight, a lopsided three round unanimous decision win over Heath Herring in August that truly opened eyes. In that UFC 87 bout, Lesnar showed amazing power, speed, and athleticism in dominating a fighter who has been in with the best the heavyweight division has had to offer over the last decade. Lesnar’s win over Herring was no fluke, and it marked him as a serious contender to the crown.

So would it look nice to have 25-1 on the fight poster under Lesnar’s name? Sure. But what’s the point of misleading the public into thinking he beat 25 killers to get to the top? I’d rather see Couture’s 16-8 record on the marquee, knowing that his slate was built against real fighters in real fights, not just bouts designed to pad his record.

Now the only question is whether Lesnar’s amateur wrestling background and three pro fights have prepared him sufficiently for what he will face in Couture on Saturday night. Going back into the history books, only three of the 18 fighters who fought for UFC titles with less than 10 fights walked out of the Octagon with the belt (Couture, Coleman, and Mir), but it’s important to note that Penn, Kenny Florian and Gill Castillo all went the championship route of five rounds in competitive fights, and that Ortiz was beating Shamrock before running out of gas in the fourth round and submitting. Plus, when you’re dealing with a fighter with the physical advantages Lesnar brings into his fight with Couture, it’s hard not to see him as a very serious threat to the crown.

But when it comes down to it, if Bruce Buffer announces the words “AND NEW…” in front of Lesnar’s name this weekend, no one will
be questioning the Minnesotan’s credentials anymore, and that’s precisely why they fight the fights.

Fighters who have fought for UFC titles with less than 10 pro fights (BOLD means fighter won the fight)

Andre Pederneiras – 2nd fight – vs Pat Miletich
Randy Couture – 4th fight – vs Maurice Smith
BJ Penn – 4th fight – vs Jens Pulver
Kevin Jackson – 4th fight – vs Frank Shamrock
Tito Ortiz – 6th fight – vs Frank Shamrock
Mark Coleman – 6th fight – vs Dan Severn
Gil Castillo – 6th fight – vs Dave Menne
Kenichi Yamamoto – 7th fight – vs Pat Miletich
David Terrell – 7th fight – vs Evan Tanner
Igor Zinoviev – 7th fight – vs Frank Shamrock
Georges St-Pierre – 8th fight – vs Matt Hughes
Kenny Florian – 8th fight – vs Sean Sherk
Gil Castillo – 8th fight – vs Matt Hughes
Matt Lindland – 8th fight – vs Murilo Bustamante
Elvis Sinosic – 9th fight - vs Tito Ortiz
Frank Mir – 9th fight – vs Tim Sylvia
Kevin Randleman - 10th fight - vs Bas Rutten
Nate Quarry – 10th fight – vs Rich Franklin"

dbreiden83080
11-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Countdown show is on Tomorrow at 11 ET, should be good..

Evan
11-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Countdown show is on Tomorrow at 11 ET, should be good..

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH thanks brother!

dbreiden83080
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH thanks brother!

Did you forget or didn't know, they replay it i think so you could have missed it..

Evan
11-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Did you forget or didn't know, they replay it i think so you could have missed it..

I didn't know. I normally rely on someone mentioning it since DVR's can't "series record" count down shows.

desflood
11-10-2008, 08:00 AM
the only really pointed barbs directed at the challenger have come from fans and media wondering if a fighter entering only his fourth pro fight should be receiving a world title shot.

The answer to that is in the UFC history books, where 18 fighters have fought for UFC crowns with less than 10 pro bouts
I'm not sure this is a good comparison. There's a huge difference in having had four pro fights and having, say, nine.

dallaskd
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure this is a good comparison. There's a huge difference in having had four pro fights and having, say, nine.

Lesnar has 3.

desflood
11-10-2008, 09:33 AM
I know. I just said four because he's going into his fourth fight.

I can read, believe it or not!

LEONARD
11-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Evan...don't we have a $10 bet on Couture-Lesnar??

SAtoDallas
11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Since I'm just a casual fan I was wondering if this fight will be worth paying for? What I mean is are the undercard matchups worth the price?

Evan
11-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Evan...don't we have a $10 bet on Couture-Lesnar??

yeah I have $10 on Lesnar and you owe me $10 for Randy not fighting Fedor in 08. I think we made that deal in late 07.

I want to say we have a 3rd floating out there somewhere.

Evan
11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Since I'm just a casual fan I was wondering if this fight will be worth paying for? What I mean is are the undercard matchups worth the price?

For a casual fan I would recommend UFC 92 in December.

Main Card Bouts (Pay-per-view):
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Frank Mir
-Forrest Griffin (#1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Rashad Evans (#4 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Quinton Jackson (#2 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Wanderlei Silva (#6 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Mustapha Al-Turk vs. Cheick Kongo
-C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio

Preliminary Bouts:
-Yushin Okami (#6 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Dean Lister
-Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy
-Ryo Chonan vs. Brad Blackburn
-Antoni Hardonk vs. Mark Burch
-Pat Barry vs. Dan Evensen

desflood
11-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Everybody's got a hard-on for Randy and Brock going - nobody looks past to see that UFC 92 is a huge card. Huge. It is what all ppv's should be.

desflood
11-10-2008, 11:39 AM
And it irritates the hell out of me, too - why is Lister/Okami on the undercard when we're being forced to watch Dollaway/Massenzio? Somebody really dropped the ball there.

SAtoDallas
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
For a casual fan I would recommend UFC 92 in December.

Main Card Bouts (Pay-per-view):
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Frank Mir
-Forrest Griffin (#1 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Rashad Evans (#4 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Quinton Jackson (#2 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Wanderlei Silva (#6 Light Heavyweight in the World)*
-Mustapha Al-Turk vs. Cheick Kongo
-C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio

Preliminary Bouts:
-Yushin Okami (#6 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Dean Lister
-Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy
-Ryo Chonan vs. Brad Blackburn
-Antoni Hardonk vs. Mark Burch
-Pat Barry vs. Dan Evensen

Cool. This weekends main event is very intriguing but I just wasn't sure if a 45 yr old Couture vs that monster Lesnar would be worth paying for. I guess I'll wait for the next one.

Evan
11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
And it irritates the hell out of me, too - why is Lister/Okami on the undercard when we're being forced to watch Dollaway/Massenzio? Somebody really dropped the ball there.

It will be shown on the main card.

Everybody's got a hard-on for Randy and Brock going - nobody looks past to see that UFC 92 is a huge card. Huge. It is what all ppv's should be.

I am 10times more excited to see 92 then this weekend.

You're gonna enjoy it SAtodallas.!!!!1

desflood
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Once again, you're in the know and I'm clueless.

dbreiden83080
11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I am 10times more excited to see 92 then this weekend.

As am i UFC 92 is an insane card, just spectacular but this weekend sure is a fascinating main event.. Ken and Joe could be good..

Evan
11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Once again, you're in the know and I'm clueless.

I'm not saying you're clueless. I am just guessing since the UFC main event card always seems to look a bit different 2 weeks out and its been a long time since they have only shown 5 fights. They seem to average 8 now.

LEONARD
11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
yeah I have $10 on Lesnar and you owe me $10 for Randy not fighting Fedor in 08. I think we made that deal in late 07.

I want to say we have a 3rd floating out there somewhere.

K...I thought I had Couture but wasn't sure...lol

The 3rd was Karo vs Kim, which was scrapped...

So I'll either owe you $20 or nothing after Saturday right?

dbreiden83080
11-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Recent pics of Brock training/Working on his JJ

http://www.themmanews.com/?p=2103

Evan
11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
K...I thought I had Couture but wasn't sure...lol

The 3rd was Karo vs Kim, which was scrapped...

So I'll either owe you $20 or nothing after Saturday right?

Ahhhhhhhh yeah thats right.

Sure thats fine.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 12:10 AM
WOW, that part of the Count-Down show where they said Brock's numbers, running, lifting, jumping, when he tried out for the NFL were right there and in some cases better than Number 1 draft pick Mario Williams, man is this guy a beast of an athlete or what??

Good Countdown show, the Randy career and return was well done, on the show as well..

BlackSwordsMan
11-11-2008, 01:26 AM
I don't get how brock's numbers completely blew williams out the water but no team wanted him.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 01:29 AM
I don't get how brock's numbers completely blew williams out the water but no team wanted him.

Well he was the last player cut, so they sure took a hard long look at Brock and he had almost no football experience, he wasn't a football player in college he was a wrestler.. He declined an invitation to play as a representative of the Vikings in NFL Europe, so they thought a lot of him..

BlackSwordsMan
11-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Cowboys could use him right about now

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Amir off the card with Injury..

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15767

dallaskd
11-11-2008, 04:11 PM

Just because your a super athlete does not mean you are a good football player. In high school I knew a bunch of huge athletic black kids, but their god giving talent wasn't basketball. Brock is an amazing athlete, but football is not his gift, wrestling is. I wouldn't be surprised if Brock had made the NFL, had he played in HS and College.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Brock played in HS as a line-man but no he was not going to make it in the NFL with no college background, way too hard and he was already 28 i think at the time.. Still amazing he put up those numbers at the combine, with all that wrestling and power, man he is a load to handle in that cage..

djohn14
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Dustin Hazelett and Tamdan McCrory are taking the place of Amir and Catone.

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 11:09 PM
First 2 UFC 91 Video Blogs...

mSgV33OxY4Y&feature=channel

3GLRRDr4A_o&feature=channel

Evan
11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Vid 1 - I have never gotten over that anthony kiedis lisp. He talked once about getting it fixed but he worried about it ruining his voice.

Look how intense Dana's face gets when he talks UFC. He just turns into a new human...2:15 with Urijah. 4:55 with Silva.

Vid 2 - game looks cool. Watch the forums...people will have a heart attack Dana was playing Brock. ZOMG TEH DANA!

dbreiden83080
11-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Watch the forums...people will have a heart attack Dana was playing Brock. ZOMG TEH DANA!

LOL, Dude of course he won't say it but he wants Brock to win this fight. In my opinion if Brock loses, it will only be because it was maybe 2 or 3 fights to soon for him and Randy will find a way. But Brock is such a huge draw, and really is that new era of a Heavyweight fighter. Randy can lose this fight and his legacy remains in-tact. Dana would be drooling if he gets to put the belt on Brock this Sat..

Evan
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
LOL, Dude of course he won't say it but he wants Brock to win this fight. .................... Dana would be drooling if he gets to put the belt on Brock this Sat..

Oh yeah...whatever makes the UFC bigger he wants and it sure isn't Randy winning. I guarantee Dana wants Randy back as a ambassador and fighting is irrelevant after Saturday. I'm pretty sure Dana would cut his own arm off with a rusty steak knife it it advanced the UFC far enough. Nothing wrong with that IMO as long as he is right most of the time, which he is. Everyone else effs up this thing besides Dana and Scott Coker (strikeforce) but I am not sure Scott can do much more than he has with SF. I'm honestly baffled that more wasn't done with Frank Shamrock and Cung Le.

I'm babbling so to get this back on track.....

I love Randy although a little less after the contract mess and a little less after reading his book but him winning does nothing to advance the UFC. Same reason why I wanted Rampage to KO Chuck (who was one of my favorites at the time.)

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Amir off the card with Injury..

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=15767

Everyone remember to change their picks now that Amir is off the card..

Evan
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Joe Stevenson (#10 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Kenny Florian (will come back to this)

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah i picked Kenny but still very much unsure about it..

Evan
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah i picked Kenny but still very much unsure about it..

It makes my brain hurt because I am nit picking Joe's record like I want to find a reason to pick against him since he was so gloriously sliced and diced by BJ.

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
The closer to the fight the more I think Randy will get the victor!

Hopefully I will give some thoughts before fight how I see all.

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
The closer to the fight the more I think Randy will get the victor!

Hopefully I will give some thoughts before fight how I see all.

I don't know if you saw the countdown show or not but Randy is so small for this fight it is insane. You really saw it in the footage of his fights with Tim and Gabe, where he was pretty big then to see him in the gym in a tank-top and sitting on his couch in a short sleeve shirt talking about the fight, he will be dwarfed in that ring by Brock. Massive size difference.. Don't know if that matters to you or not but it was alarming to me..

Anti.Hero
11-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Dana is living the life.

Anti.Hero
11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Size is overrated in MMA. Maybe not in this case because Brock is a FREAK.

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know if you saw the countdown show or not but Randy is so small for this fight it is insane. You really saw it in the footage of his fights with Tim and Gabe, where he was pretty big then to see him in the gym in a tank-top and sitting on his couch in a short sleeve shirt talking about the fight, he will be dwarfed in that ring by Brock. Massive size difference.. Don't know if that matters to you or not but it was alarming to me..

Alarming in what sense?

Randy knows what he is doing, he have his game plan and he trains for that game plan to be as prepared as he can be best.

He must be in his best to beat the beast ! :)

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Alarming in what sense?

Randy knows what he is doing, he have his game plan and he trains for that game plan to be as prepared as he can be best.

He must be in his best to beat the beast ! :)

"Alarming in what sense", in the sense that he is facing the biggest, strongest, most powerful, best wrestling heavy-weight he ever has and is coming into the fight much smaller than he usually does. That is alarming to me. He came in big against Tim, and Sylvia while huge is not nearly as strong as Brock and probably not even half the athlete Brock is. The smaller he is, the harder it will be for him to move that monster around the ring, that is a problem.. When he locks up with Brock and Brock can toss him around easily, that's a problem.. Maybe he wants to run a lot on Brock and try to wear him out that way. But i don't love Randy's body coming into this fight, age may be a factor in that.

sa_butta
11-12-2008, 02:46 PM
This actually a very good match up for both. It will be interesting to see where Brock is at. Im wondering if he will come out and try to bull-rush Randy or will he feel him out and maybe try take some shots at him. Brock is very quick and Randy could take some shots in stand up, but the ground game is going to be crazy with these two. Cant wait for this one.

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Just size is yes.. But Size on top of a freakish athlete, on top of a great wrestler, is a complicated formula to solve..

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Age is a factor, everything is a factor.

At his age he can't be too slow, and I think he rather stay faster then try to be heavy.

IMO he will try to strike with Brock and make him think more then he used to. Move the legs, give many angles. Keep the distance.
Gaining mass won't give him much more strenght then he has in his 'normal' weight.
Ofcourse Brock has less lbs to carry.

I wonder if Brock can finish Randy when he could not finish Heath. And acually he had problem taking Herring down. same Herring that was thrown like a puppet by Fedor.

All in all I'm all pumped up for this fight. I don't know maybe I'm american at that regard.
Because all in all one guy is too old and second do not have a versitality and he is just begining the MMA. In his fights Brock only proved he is great freakish athlete but his skills needs a work.

desflood
11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
My husband has an interesting theory to this. He thinks Randy will initially go to the ground - get Lesnar mentally into wrestling mode - let him get comfortable, then switch to a quick sub.

desflood
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
From bloodyelbow:

According the place where I get the most up to date MMA news (TMZ.com), Kim Couture has gotten a restraining order against T-Shirt guy and Affliction VP Tom Beard.

Apparently Beard started going nuts when the Coutures committed an atrocious sin: they asked about the profits for the Xtreme Couture clothing line:

Randy and wife Kim claim Affliction Prez Todd Beard has been on a campaign of terror against them since they asked for an accounting of profits. A Las Vegas judge just issued a temporary restraining order, prohibiting Beard from going near Kim, and that includes going near the MGM Grand when Randy fights this Saturday. And Beard can't go to the Hotel during the weigh-in the day before either.

This sort of puts Beard's rant on Sirius radio into a new light and hints at even more problems regarding the rocky relationship between Affliction and the Coutures.

I also find it scary that the restraining order says that Beard can't go to the fight or the weigh-ins this weekend. Is this guy really that crazy or dangerous that he'd show up to the fight and make a scene?

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
IMO he will try to strike with Brock and make him think more then he used to. Move the legs, give many angles. Keep the distance.
Gaining mass won't give him much more strenght then he has in his 'normal' weight.

I agree with the first part about his stragedy but if Randy comes in light, he is all the more easy for Brock to toss around when they lock up, advantage Brock...

I wonder if Brock can finish Randy when he could not finish Heath. And acually he had problem taking Herring down. same Herring that was thrown like a puppet by Fedor.

I keep hearing this Brock couldn't finish Heath stuff and the reality is he never tried too. I've seen that fight back 25 times at least. Once he had Heath hurt he just rode his back, with conservative GNP. Could not finish Mir would be accurate because that was aggressive GNP and he got caught in a sub. Brock never went for the finish with Heath, he was content to just ride him with subtle GNP.. And No, he had no problems at all, taking Herring down. First take-down, exploded right through him on a double leg. All the other takedowns he locked up with Heath, easily got top position, he never struggled to get it down, and Herring is 30 pds heavier at least than Randy. He also exploded right through Mir, again 30 pds or so bigger than Randy..

Evan
11-12-2008, 03:10 PM
My husband has an interesting theory to this. He thinks Randy will initially go to the ground - get Lesnar mentally into wrestling mode - let him get comfortable, then switch to a quick sub.

Makes sense to me. Wonder how those ribs will hold up to those knees.

From bloodyelbow:

According the place where I get the most up to date MMA news (TMZ.com), Kim Couture has gotten a restraining order against T-Shirt guy and Affliction VP Tom Beard.

Apparently Beard started going nuts when the Coutures committed an atrocious sin: they asked about the profits for the Xtreme Couture clothing line:

Randy and wife Kim claim Affliction Prez Todd Beard has been on a campaign of terror against them since they asked for an accounting of profits. A Las Vegas judge just issued a temporary restraining order, prohibiting Beard from going near Kim, and that includes going near the MGM Grand when Randy fights this Saturday. And Beard can't go to the Hotel during the weigh-in the day before either.

This sort of puts Beard's rant on Sirius radio into a new light and hints at even more problems regarding the rocky relationship between Affliction and the Coutures.

I also find it scary that the restraining order says that Beard can't go to the fight or the weigh-ins this weekend. Is this guy really that crazy or dangerous that he'd show up to the fight and make a scene?

I was just going to post this. Freaking insane.

There is no way they would do this if that clothing line was making them money. Kind of telling where Affliction is.

desflood
11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Makes sense to me. Wonder how those ribs will hold up to those knees.
Despite having the appearance of a big dumb rock monster, Lesnar's a pretty intelligent guy. I think he'd probably be on the lookout for a similar trick, especially from a crafty old vet like Randy.

Evan
11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Despite having the appearance of a big dumb rock monster, Lesnar's a pretty intelligent guy. I think he'd probably be on the lookout for a similar trick, especially from a crafty old vet like Randy.

lol

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 03:20 PM
the reality is he never tried too

That's the most ridiculus thing I hear when comes to fighting.
I'm sorry but when you fight you try to finish the guy.
He was not able to finish Heath.

And when we talking about clinch. Brock may know the wrestling but Randy knows what works in MMA with cage behind you.

How come Randy will try to submitt Brock if he is not know for submissions at all.

That would not be good startegy a plan "A" strategy. On the back submitting?

Randy will have to keep the fight at his pace and dictate it all fight long.

Evan
11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm still cracking up over "big dumb rock monster"

Its so innocent sounding but so insulting at the same time.

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 03:37 PM
the reality is he never tried too
That's the most ridiculus thing I hear when comes to fighting.
I'm sorry but when you fight you try to finish the guy.
He was not able to finish Heath.

Because you find it ridiculous does not make it untrue. How many boxing fights have you seen might i ask? Do you know how many times i have seen a superior boxer, content to win a 12 rd decision and not care one bit about trying for a KO. Ali was famous for this.. So was Lennox Lewis and Ray Leonard.. What you are saying is one dimensional and it makes no sense.. Fighters fight all kinds of fights for all kinds of reasons. Brock was the better wrestler and he knew it. He had Heath hurt, and rode him to an easy 15 min decision. Pop in the tape and press play..

desflood
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm still cracking up over "big dumb rock monster"

Its so innocent sounding but so insulting at the same time.
I stole it from my 8-year-old. He was speaking of some movie thing, though, not Lesnar. I think that was the weekend he watched "Galaxy Quest."

At any rate, I'm sure Lesnar's heard worse from the guys he trains with every day. Fighters are full of insults and rarely watch their language. I distinctly recall Stephen Bonner saying once that Keith Jardine "looks kind of like The Devil".

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Boxing is bit diferent.

Ali ahs the style of striking and gettin away keeping the perfect distance for him and he was depending on his quckness and speed and footwork.
When he saw a chance he tried to finish the guy.
Tysons style was bit different. He tried to knock his opponent as soon as possible even when he knew he was better.

In MMA you can pay the prize for okay I will just stay away and strike the guy or take him down and pond him just for fun cause I so way better then him

However this is truth some guy backing down and not going for a finish cause it's risk.

Brock went on Heath like a bull on a matador. He had him on his back and nothing.
He did not knew how to finish Heath in that fight.

Evan
11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

I sort of agree with this.

I would adjust it a bit…I would say size from cutting to fight day is overrated but Brocks massive size that's bursting the HW division seems versus Randy's looking like someone who will have to guzzle rocks (that’s for desflood's son) to make 206 is very relevant.

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 04:41 PM
So randy will have rocks in his pockets on the weigh-in ?

Evan
11-12-2008, 04:45 PM
So randy will have rocks in his pockets on the weigh-in ?

No sorry I didn't make that clear….lost in translation. That was sarcasm on my part.

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Ali ahs the style of striking and gettin away keeping the perfect distance for him and he was depending on his quckness and speed and footwork.
When he saw a chance he tried to finish the guy.

Actually Ali especially during his more controversial years where he took a lot of shit would time to time, pound on opponents and never try to finish. He wanted to punish them for 15 rds for doing such things like "Refusing to call him by his changed name, still calling him Clay"..

Tysons style was bit different. He tried to knock his opponent as soon as possible even when he knew he was better.

Tyson was more technical than people gave him credit for. During his hey-day, he worked off his jab, threw combos to the body, then up to the head. It wasn't that he was always looking to take guys out quick, but he hit so damn hard and was so technical, it just often worked out that way.. His rep as a head-hunter is really only true for the 2nd half of his career..

In MMA you can pay the prize for okay I will just stay away and strike the guy or take him down and pond him just for fun cause I so way better then him

It depends on how bad you have your man hurt and what your style is. Bisping made no serious attempt to finish Leben, he was content back-peddling and counter-punching. If you are brave enough and want to be bored watch, Sylvia and Jeff Monson, where neither guy was interested in going after the other for 5 grueling, boring ass rounds. Tim could have KO'd him whenever he wanted too, but he was too timid to let his hands go.. GSP tried to finish Fitch, in rds 1 and 3, with standup and GNP but could not. RDs 2, 4 and 5 he did enough to just easily win the RDS..

Brock went on Heath like a bull on a matador. He had him on his back and nothing.

He went after Mir like you phrased it, but not Herring. That is what got him caught with Mir. Rode his back and went crazy with Hammer fists. Tried to throw too many heavy shots in the guard of Mir, stood up in a bad spot, and got his leg hooked. Herring even when he was in the mount he made no serious attempt to finish. There is no way in hell Brock has no clue what to do when you have someone mounted like that. Amateur MMA fighters know what to do in that spot.. That's taking too much credit away from Brock.. He was content to ride that win out and not taking serious chances. Brock's number 1 priorioty in that fight was, don't get sub'd again..

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
No sorry I didn't make that clear….lost in translation. That was sarcasm on my part.

Well it was joke on my side Evan :D

polandprzem
11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Actually Ali especially during his more controversial years where he took a lot of shit would time to time, pound on opponents and never try to finish. He wanted to punish them for 15 rds for doing such things like "Refusing to call him by his changed name, still calling him Clay"..

Yea it was his style and he knew he had adventage and he was using that skills to humilate opponents. He was almost untauchable when he was keeping the distance.
To me it's stupidity, but yest he was fighting that way many times.

Boxing is not mma though

Tyson was more technical than people gave him credit for. During his hey-day, he worked off his jab, threw combos to the body, then up to the head. It wasn't that he was always looking to take guys out quick, but he hit so damn hard and was so technical, it just often worked out that way.. His rep as a head-hunter is really only true for the 2nd half of his career..
His technique was fantastic. Very simple but fantastic. He was shorting the distance, get inside and rip heads off. :)

It depends on how bad you have your man hurt and what your style is. Bisping made no serious attempt to finish Leben, he was content back-peddling and counter-punching. If you are brave enough and want to be bored watch, Sylvia and Jeff Monson, where neither guy was interested in going after the other for 5 grueling, boring ass rounds. Tim could have KO'd him whenever he wanted too, but he was too timid to let his hands go.. GSP tried to finish Fitch, in rds 1 and 3, with standup and GNP but could not. RDs 2, 4 and 5 he did enough to just easily win the RDS..
Fighters are not going for a finish because they do not want to take the risk of being counterattacked (good word?)
They like to keep the fight where it is waiting for better occasion.

But damn what for real is "going to finish" ?
They are fighting right? And they want to win so they are doing what they should do to win. There are guys like machida who just like piss opponents off :)
And there is a guy like Fedor who is fighting with intense and every occasion there is he taking as soon as he can.

He went after Mir like you phrased it, but not Herring. That is what got him caught with Mir. Rode his back and went crazy with Hammer fists. Tried to throw too many heavy shots in the guard of Mir, stood up in a bad spot, and got his leg hooked. Herring even when he was in the mount he made no serious attempt to finish. There is no way in hell Brock has no clue what to do when you have someone mounted like that. Amateur MMA fighters know what to do in that spot.. That's taking too much credit away from Brock.. He was content to ride that win out and not taking serious chances. Brock's number 1 priorioty in that fight was, don't get sub'd again..

Maybe it's taking credit from Heath who was defending himself alright enough to survive.

IMO Brock was unable to finish Herring because he i still lacking some skills and experience in diferent MMA fight situations.

But the statment - He did not finished him because he did not went for a finish is ridiculus to me and always will be.

Or maybe we should take every fight as seperat example and discuss :)

--------

To me it was like saying that Brock did not finished Herring because he did not wanted to.

Evan
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Well it was joke on my side Evan :D

oops sorry.

dallaskd
11-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Because you find it ridiculous does not make it untrue. How many boxing fights have you seen might i ask? Do you know how many times i have seen a superior boxer, content to win a 12 rd decision and not care one bit about trying for a KO. Ali was famous for this.. So was Lennox Lewis and Ray Leonard.. What you are saying is one dimensional and it makes no sense.. Fighters fight all kinds of fights for all kinds of reasons. Brock was the better wrestler and he knew it. He had Heath hurt, and rode him to an easy 15 min decision. Pop in the tape and press play..

yeah but MMA fights are finished so more often. most boxers don't try to finish. you can't compare the two to begin with, they're two different sports.

dallaskd
11-12-2008, 07:55 PM

agree. dude did not know how to put hooks in and RNC him or even GnP him out. could have arm-bared him several times.

dbreiden83080
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
agree. dude did not know how to put hooks in and RNC him or even GnP him out. could have arm-bared him several times.

He had the hooks in more than once but when Heath was offering resistance he was willing to let it go rather than hang on and force GNP, knowing how dominant he was on top of him. I am far from the only one that saw this. Rogan and Goldberg both pointed it out on the telecast, that he was content to not taking major chances with Heath because he didn't have to..

yeah but MMA fights are finished so more often. most boxers don't try to finish. you can't compare the two to begin with, they're two different sports.

I didn't compare them as sports but my point is relevant to his about certain fights and styles. I already named 2 MMA fights where the finish was not pushed, i can name many more. His point was that everyone goes into an MMA fight looking to finish, that is not correct. Sometimes they also go into it and change gears based on what is transpiring..

dallaskd
11-12-2008, 08:35 PM

When referring to Lesnar his name is Frank Mer.

dbreiden83080
11-13-2008, 12:58 AM
New Blog, Brock looks incredibly calm and relaxed for the fight....

EIErqKqmphQ

polandprzem
11-13-2008, 03:25 AM
That was not dana White

There was no F word in that blog

ATRAIN
11-13-2008, 08:47 AM
When is the weigh in and are they going to show it on ESPN?

DBryant88
11-13-2008, 08:58 AM
im pretty sure the weigh in is Friday

Evan
11-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I can't wait to see the stare down pic.

LEONARD
11-13-2008, 04:43 PM

I have $10 on Couture with Evan, but I'm picking Lesnar here... :lol

also have a $10 on Lesnar with another guy...so I guess I'll break even on the betting... :lmao

Evan
11-13-2008, 05:09 PM

also have a $10 on Lesnar with another guy...so I guess I'll break even on the betting... :lmao

too funny...lol

with bet #3 you're only out $10 total through this whole thing. awesome.

any chance you will change your screen name?...throws me off.

dbreiden83080
11-13-2008, 05:38 PM

That is too Funny :lol

And pointless i might add..

desflood
11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
And pointless i might add..
Hey man, it's all for love of the game.

dbreiden83080
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey man, it's all for love of the game.

I thought laying bets was about making money, who lays a bet knowing they are going to break even nomatter what??

LEONARD
11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Press Conf Pics
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/view_album.php?id=1349

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/111308ufc/1009.jpg
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/111308ufc/1005.jpg
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/111308ufc/1023.jpg

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/111308ufc/1025.jpg

http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/111308ufc/1029.jpg

too funny...lol

with bet #3 you're only out $10 total through this whole thing. awesome.

any chance you will change your screen name?...throws me off.

Heck no!! LEONARD fo life...

Evan
11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I thought laying bets was about making money, who lays a bet knowing they are going to break even nomatter what??

I think its funny to win or lose a bet. I could not care less about the money.

Evan
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/111308ufc/1029.jpg

Remember my theory...Dana always stares at who he thinks/wants to win.

Heck no!! LEONARD fo life...

Seriously throws me off to much....I have had to go back and edit myself no less than a hunnerd times correcting it.

dbreiden83080
11-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Is there a link to the press conference itself??

Evan
11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I'll never rag on Fedor again if you change your screen name

LEONARD
11-13-2008, 06:47 PM
lol...nope, sorry...

but if that picture was snapped a few seconds prior I'm sure he was looking at Couture...lol

Evan
11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
fedor likes men

LEONARD
11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
fedor likes crushing men

Evan
11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
^kinky

djohn14
11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
lol

Anti.Hero
11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
lol, ESPN won't stfu about Kimbo.

They are trying to make this move into MMA coverage and they keep bringing up shit not even related to the UFC to Dana's face. :lol

dallaskd
11-13-2008, 08:44 PM
for who ever keeps records...

Evan
11-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Fighters.com: There’s a big buzz this week over UFC 91. And, of course, there is a divide amongst fans over the heavyweight title fight. One side of the spectrum says Brock Lesnar (2-1) doesn’t deserve the fight this weekend; and, another side says Lesnar is the future of the sport. As a veteran of the UFC yourself, what are your thoughts on Brock Lesnar getting a title shot so soon in his career and who do you think will win the bout between him and fourth-ranked UFC Champion ”Natural” Randy Couture (16-8)?

Jeff Monson: Well, Lesnar does not deserve the shot yet. Let’s see, he won his first MMA fight, then he lost his first fight in the UFC, and then won his second fight. So, he’s one and one in the UFC. I mean, he lost by submission within a couple of minutes and then won a decision. And now he’s fighting for a UFC title. It’s all based on potential, I guess. He’s a physically immense guy and really strong and powerful. He’s training in a good camp too. So no, he doesn’t deserve the shot. But, saying that, I do think Lesnar is going to win the fight against Couture.

This is just one of those fights that’s a match-up nightmare for Couture. Randy normally wins against the fence. He clinches against the fence. He grounds-and-pounds his opponents against the fence, wears them out, and then takes their hearts away. Then, he gets them on the ground and finishes the fight. It’s pretty much standard; and, Randy is so damned good at it that an opponent can know he’s going to do these things and Randy will still get away with it.

Randy is one of the smartest fighters out there. Every time I have picked Randy, he always ends up winning. But, I don’t think he’s going to win this time against Lesnar.

You know, if Randy does win the fight, it’s because he is in great shape. I am sure he’ll be in top shape. And he could win maybe by outlasting Lesnar, making him tired, and getting on top of him. You know, nobody’s seen Lesner on his back. So, who knows what can happen there. I think if Randy gets him down, he can possibly make some things happen.

Randy’s not a big striker though. He’s okay. But Lesnar’s shown that he can punch. Randy’s not a submission guy like Frank Mir either. You know Frank was getting his ass kicked but was still able to pull off a submission on Lesnar and survive.

On paper, it simply looks like a really tough fight for Randy. I don’t know how Randy wins other than gassing out Lesnar, outlasting him, and then taking it to him when he’s got him tired. But, if Lesnar is in shape, it’s a match-up nightmare for Randy.

Fighters.com: Well of course Randy has been criticized in the past for coming up short against larger heavyweights, but he did very well against ninth-ranked “Napao” Gabriel Gonzaga (9-3). And Gabriel Gonzaga is a large heavyweight that was just coming off of a devastating win over “Cro Cop” Mirko Filipovic (23-7-2) when they faced one another.

Jeff Monson: Yeah sure, but I mean, Gonzaga is a different fighter. Gonzaga’s not a wrestler. He’s a big, strong guy, but he’s not a wrestler. I have seen Gonzaga at Abu Dhabi; and, he pulled guard on everyone. Lesnar as a wrestler, right now at his age, is probably a notch higher than Randy or at least the same level. And Lesnar’s going to be at least thirty or forty pounds heavier going into the fight. So, Randy’s not going to put him up against the fence for any length of time or ground-and -pound him there. So, that’s what I am talking about when I mention the match-up problems for Randy.

The things that Randy does well to win fights, he’s not going to be able to do in this fight. So, Randy has to figure out a different way to win; and, the different ways to win this fight are not Randy’s fortes. You know, knocking Lesnar out or getting a submission, things like that. So, that’s what we are looking at here. On paper, how can Randy win?

But, like I said earlier, if Randy does pull out a win, I think it’s because he outlasts Lesnar. You know, maybe Lesnar gets tired; and, Randy gets on top and sinks a choke from the top. Or maybe Randy punches him out from the top; and, the referee stops the fight or something.

Randy is the smartest guy out there, but he’s got to know on paper that he’s not going to be able to put Lesnar up against the fence and do what he normally does. It will be interesting to see what Randy comes out with. Certainly, if anyone can do it, Randy can. He’s done it time-and-time again. But, it’s going to be a tough one.

djohn14
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
for who ever keeps records...

Me 2