PDA

View Full Version : Media's Presidential Bias and Decline

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Good article --> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Story?id=6099188&page=1

The traditional media are playing a very, very dangerous game -- with their readers, with the Constitution and with their own fates.

The media have covered this presidential campaign with a bias and that ultimately could lead to its downfall. The sheer bias in the print and television coverage of this election campaign is not just bewildering, but appalling. And over the last few months I've found myself slowly moving from shaking my head at the obvious one-sided reporting, to actually shouting at the screen of my television and my laptop computer.

But worst of all, for the last couple weeks, I've begun -- for the first time in my adult life -- to be embarrassed to admit what I do for a living. A few days ago, when asked by a new acquaintance what I did for a living, I replied that I was "a writer," because I couldn't bring myself to admit to a stranger that I'm a journalist.

You need to understand how painful this is for me. I am one of those people who truly bleeds ink when I'm cut. I am a fourth-generation newspaperman. As family history tells it, my great-grandfather was a newspaper editor in Abilene, Kan. , during the last of the cowboy days, then moved to Oregon to help start the Oregon Journal (now the Oregonian).

My hard-living -- and when I knew her, scary -- grandmother was one of the first women reporters for the Los Angeles Times. And my father, though profoundly dyslexic, followed a long career in intelligence to finish his life (thanks to word processors and spellcheckers) as a very successful freelance writer. I've spent 30 years in every part of journalism, from beat reporter to magazine editor. And my oldest son, following in the family business, so to speak, earned his first national byline before he earned his drivers license.

So, when I say I'm deeply ashamed right now to be called a "journalist," you can imagine just how deep that cuts into my soul.

Now, of course, there's always been bias in the media. Human beings are biased, so the work they do, including reporting, is inevitably colored. Hell, I can show you 10 different ways to color variations of the word "said" -- muttered, shouted, announced, reluctantly replied, responded, etc. -- to influence the way a reader will apprehend exactly the same quote. We all learn that in Reporting 101, or at least in the first few weeks working in a newsroom.

But what we are also supposed to learn during that same apprenticeship is to recognize the dangerous power of that technique, and many others, and develop built-in alarms against them.

But even more important, we are also supposed to be taught that even though there is no such thing as pure, Platonic objectivity in reporting, we are to spend our careers struggling to approach that ideal as closely as possible.

That means constantly challenging our own prejudices, systematically presenting opposing views and never, ever burying stories that contradict our own world views or challenge people or institutions we admire. If we can't achieve Olympian detachment, than at least we can recognize human frailty -- especially in ourselves.

For many years, spotting bias in reporting was a little parlor game of mine, watching TV news or reading a newspaper article and spotting how the reporter had inserted, often unconsciously, his or her own preconceptions. But I always wrote it off as bad judgment and lack of professionalism, rather than bad faith and conscious advocacy.

Sure, being a child of the '60s I saw a lot of subjective "New" Journalism, and did a fair amount of it myself, but that kind of writing, like columns and editorials, was supposed to be segregated from "real" reporting, and, at least in mainstream media, usually was. The same was true for the emerging blogosphere, which by its very nature was opinionated and biased.

But my complacent faith in my peers first began to be shaken when some of the most admired journalists in the country were exposed as plagiarists, or worse, accused of making up stories from whole cloth.

I'd spent my entire professional career scrupulously pounding out endless dreary footnotes and double-checking sources to make sure that I never got accused of lying or stealing someone else's work -- not out of any native honesty, but out of fear: I'd always been told to fake or steal a story was a firing offense … indeed, it meant being blackballed out of the profession.

And yet, few of those worthies ever seemed to get fired for their crimes -- and if they did they were soon rehired into even more prestigious jobs. It seemed as if there were two sets of rules: one for us workaday journalists toiling out in the sticks, and another for folks who'd managed, through talent or deceit, to make it to the national level.

Meanwhile, I watched with disbelief as the nation's leading newspapers, many of whom I'd written for in the past, slowly let opinion pieces creep into the news section, and from there onto the front page. Personal opinions and comments that, had they appeared in my stories in 1979, would have gotten my butt kicked by the nearest copy editor, were now standard operating procedure at the New York Times, the Washington Post, and soon after in almost every small town paper in the U. S.

But what really shattered my faith -- and I know the day and place where it happened -- was the war in Lebanon three summers ago. The hotel I was staying at in Windhoek, Namibia, only carried CNN, a network I'd already learned to approach with skepticism. But this was CNN International, which is even worse.

I sat there, first with my jaw hanging down, then actually shouting at the TV, as one field reporter after another reported the carnage of the Israeli attacks on Beirut, with almost no corresponding coverage of the Hezbollah missiles raining down on northern Israel. The reporting was so utterly and shamelessly biased that I sat there for hours watching, assuming that eventually CNNi would get around to telling the rest of the story … but it never happened.

But nothing, nothing I've seen has matched the media bias on display in the current presidential campaign.

Republicans are justifiably foaming at the mouth over the sheer one-sidedness of the press coverage of the two candidates and their running mates. But in the last few days, even Democrats, who have been gloating over the pass -- no, make that shameless support -- they've gotten from the press, are starting to get uncomfortable as they realize that no one wins in the long run when we don't have a free and fair press.

I was one of the first people in the traditional media to call for the firing of Dan Rather -- not because of his phony story, but because he refused to admit his mistake -- but, bless him, even Gunga Dan thinks the media is one-sided in this election.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those people who think the media has been too hard on, say, Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin, by rushing reportorial SWAT teams to her home state of Alaska to rifle through her garbage. This is the big leagues, and if she wants to suit up and take the field, then Gov. Palin better be ready to play.

The few instances where I think the press has gone too far -- such as the Times reporter talking to prospective first lady Cindy McCain's daughter's MySpace friends -- can easily be solved with a few newsroom smackdowns and temporary repostings to the Omaha bureau.

No, what I object to (and I think most other Americans do as well) is the lack of equivalent hardball coverage of the other side -- or worse, actively serving as attack dogs for the presidential ticket of Sens. Barack Obama, D-Ill. , and Joe Biden, D-Del.

If the current polls are correct, we are about to elect as president of the United States a man who is essentially a cipher, who has left almost no paper trail, seems to have few friends (that at least will talk) and has entire years missing out of his biography.

That isn't Sen. Obama's fault: His job is to put his best face forward. No, it is the traditional media's fault, for it alone (unlike the alternative media) has had the resources to cover this story properly, and has systematically refused to do so.

Why, for example to quote the lawyer for Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. , haven't we seen an interview with Sen. Obama's grad school drug dealer -- when we know all about Mrs. McCain's addiction? Are Bill Ayers and Tony Rezko that hard to interview? All those phony voter registrations that hard to scrutinize? And why are Sen. Biden's endless gaffes almost always covered up, or rationalized, by the traditional media?

The absolute nadir (though I hate to commit to that, as we still have two weeks before the election) came with Joe the Plumber.

Middle America, even when they didn't agree with Joe, looked on in horror as the press took apart the private life of an average person who had the temerity to ask a tough question of a presidential candidate. So much for the standing up for the little man. So much for speaking truth to power. So much for comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable, and all of those other catchphrases we journalists used to believe we lived by.

I learned a long time ago that when people or institutions begin to behave in a matter that seems to be entirely against their own interests, it's because we don't understand what their motives really are. It would seem that by so exposing their biases and betting everything on one candidate over another, the traditional media is trying to commit suicide -- especially when, given our currently volatile world and economy, the chances of a successful Obama presidency, indeed any presidency, is probably less than 50/50.

Furthermore, I also happen to believe that most reporters, whatever their political bias, are human torpedoes … and, had they been unleashed, would have raced in and roughed up the Obama campaign as much as they did McCain's. That's what reporters do. I was proud to have been one, and I'm still drawn to a good story, any good story, like a shark to blood in the water.

So why weren't those legions of hungry reporters set loose on the Obama campaign? Who are the real villains in this story of mainstream media betrayal?

The editors. The men and women you don't see; the people who not only decide what goes in the paper, but what doesn't; the managers who give the reporters their assignments and lay out the editorial pages. They are the real culprits.

Why? I think I know, because had my life taken a different path, I could have been one: Picture yourself in your 50s in a job where you've spent 30 years working your way to the top, to the cockpit of power … only to discover that you're presiding over a dying industry. The Internet and alternative media are stealing your readers, your advertisers and your top young talent. Many of your peers shrewdly took golden parachutes and disappeared. Your job doesn't have anywhere near the power and influence it did when your started your climb. The Newspaper Guild is too weak to protect you any more, and there is a very good chance you'll lose your job before you cross that finish line, 10 years hence, of retirement and a pension.

In other words, you are facing career catastrophe -- and desperate times call for desperate measures. Even if you have to risk everything on a single Hail Mary play. Even if you have to compromise the principles that got you here. After all, newspapers and network news are doomed anyway -- all that counts is keeping them on life support until you can retire.

And then the opportunity presents itself -- an attractive young candidate whose politics likely matches yours, but more important, he offers the prospect of a transformed Washington with the power to fix everything that has gone wrong in your career.

With luck, this monolithic, single-party government will crush the alternative media via a revived fairness doctrine, re-invigorate unions by getting rid of secret votes, and just maybe be beholden to people like you in the traditional media for getting it there.

And besides, you tell yourself, it's all for the good of the country …

This is the opinion of the columnist and in no way reflects the opinion of ABC News.

101A
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Nothing to see here; move along.

THAT dude's not getting interviews with Obama anytime soon; gonna be some editors hatin his ass as well.

hater
10-27-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/crying-baby-giant-eyes.jpg

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
http://www.breakitdownblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/crying-baby-giant-eyes.jpg

hater = http://pinkdome.com/archives/Douchebag.jpg

101A
10-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Hater,

Do you have no fear of a media that is biased?

What about if the Fairness Doctrine gets reenacted?

You think it a coincidence that totalitarian regimes ALWAYS control the media?

Understand, I'm not some tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, but this election cycle, I hope, is an aberration, and not a harbinger.

PixelPusher
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't remember any of you guys complaining when Fox News broke the bias cherry back in the mid 90's and hoisted their successful business model up for all the rest corporate media to emulate.

101A
10-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't remember any of you guys complaining when Fox News broke the bias cherry back in the mid 90's and hoisted their successful business model up for all the rest corporate media to emulate.

Fox News could be shut down by the Fairness Doctrine unless they can PROVE balance to the current administration.

The guy who wrote the article is a newspaper journalist, and is mainly talking about the papers - specifically investigative reporters. Not sure Fox has any true investigative reporters.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Has there been a single media interview of Bill Ayers? I can't find one.

Findog
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Has there been a single media interview of Bill Ayers? I can't find one.

How can there be if he doesn't grant one?

Relevance of Bill Ayers, again?

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 01:18 PM
How can there be if he doesn't grant one?

Relevance of Bill Ayers, again?

It's just interesting that you had a solid week of "Joe the Plumber Watch" and I've never seen an Ayers interview.

PixelPusher
10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Fox News could be shut down by the Fairness Doctrine unless they can PROVE balance to the current administration.

The guy who wrote the article is a newspaper journalist, and is mainly talking about the papers - specifically investigative reporters. Not sure Fox has any true investigative reporters.

Investigative reporting costs money; it's much more cost-effective to draw eyeballs with sensational or bias confirming headlines. Newspapers are all owned by a handful of media corporations, and they have stockholders to answer to. Maintaining profits isn't enough, they have to show growth every quarter or something is terribly, terribly wrong. So they "cut the fat", make their enterprise "more efficient". Nothing wrong with that, is there? I mean, that's just the invisible hand of the free market.

Wait, you...you don't have a problem with the free market, do you?

hater
10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Hater,

Do you have no fear of a media that is biased?

What about if the Fairness Doctrine gets reenacted?

You think it a coincidence that totalitarian regimes ALWAYS control the media?

Understand, I'm not some tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, but this election cycle, I hope, is an aberration, and not a harbinger.

Obama has not made a mistake yet. So I don't see anything wrong with media liking him. He is likable.

If the point comes when Obama makes mistakes and media still on his side, then there is a problem. so far, I don't see why media can't be on the bandwagon as well.

and anyway, you are in a sad state if you beleive media can someday be unbiased. They are a money making business like any other.

Findog
10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
It's just interesting that you had a solid week of "Joe the Plumber Watch" and I've never seen an Ayers interview.

I really don't care if people talk about JtP one way or another. His name's not Joe, he doesn't have a plumbing license, and he doesn't make enough money to be punitively affected by Obama's tax policies.

Ayers doesn't seem to want to be a part of this campaign. People can make of his WU past what they will.

cool hand
10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
three words-THE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE.

under the fairness doctrine at least the media was somewhat fair, at least they showed a little bit of responsiblity and objectivity.

hater
10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
hater = http://pinkdome.com/archives/Douchebag.jpg

says the lame antichrist troll

:lmao :lmao :lmao

boutons_
10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
All the major broadcast and newspaper outlets are businesses controlled by the CFO and marketing/sales depts overwhelmingly interested in revenues, NOT in reporting. They report All The News That Sells (advertizing).

The FD made some sense when the country was much more naive and ABC/CBS/NBC were a lot of people's main source of news. Now that information (aka power) has devolved away from the traditional news sources that the FD targeted, the FD is meaningless.

The Fairness Doctrine bogeyman is right-wing scare mongering.

101A
10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Obama has not made a mistake yet. So I don't see anything wrong with media liking him. He is likable.

If the point comes when Obama makes mistakes and media still on his side, then there is a problem. so far, I don't see why media can't be on the bandwagon as well.

and anyway, you are in a sad state if you beleive media can someday be unbiased. They are a money making business like any other.

The media used to be more unbiased.

The fact that you don't believe it can be is sobering for me.

hater
10-27-2008, 01:38 PM
The media used to be more unbiased.

The fact that you don't believe it can be is sobering for me.

It's hard not to be unbiased when you have W as president. I was not there but I am willing to bet media was on Kennedy's dick back in the 60s too.

Obama is a likeable candidate to the masses. face it and stop crying.

101A
10-27-2008, 01:48 PM
It's hard not to be unbiased when you have W as president. I was not there but I am willing to bet media was on Kennedy's dick back in the 60s too.

Obama is a likeable candidate to the masses. face it and stop crying.

Good God you are a naive one.

I haven't cried.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Please let us all know how one gets an interview with a person who is categorically not granting interviews.

"Joe the Plumber"? Please. He eagerly whored himself out to anyone who would listen.

Ocotillo
10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
The media isn't biased, they are incompetent.

The right wing has screamed liberal media bias for so long the little cowards have stopped worrying about reporting truth and now want to give "both sides" of the story.

the candidate said the holocaust was horrific. Some say it never existed.

That sort of pablum passes for journalism today.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Is JD Salinger that hard to interview? The press was just too lazy to sit down with Garbo for forty years.

ducks
10-27-2008, 02:12 PM

YOU ARE A FUCKING BABY

hitmanyr2k
10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I haven't cried.

You're probably the biggest crybaby on this forum (besides the other idiot Wild Cobra). I haven't seen one day where you're not looking into your crystal ball and whining about something :lol

101A
10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
You're probably the biggest crybaby on this forum (besides the other idiot Wild Cobra). I haven't seen one day where you're not looking into your crystal ball and whining about something :lol

Link.

hater
10-27-2008, 02:24 PM
YOU ARE A FUCKING BABY

zero spelling mistakes :wow

you must really be ticked off

ducks
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I am
I my allergies are fucking killing me
I want to go home but can not!
I have to fucking go to 2 people's fucking houses to fucking fix their fucking problems

hater
10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I fucking hate mondays too

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Please let us all know how one gets an interview with a person who is categorically not granting interviews.

John Miller can get an interview with Osama bin Laden in 1998.

Dan Rather can interview Saddam Hussein in 2003.

But NO ONE can interview the ultra-elusive Bill Ayers. I see.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 04:37 PM

But NO ONE can interview the ultra-elusive Bill Ayers. I see.Those guys wanted to be interviewed.

Again, please tell me how you interview someone who will not allow themselves to be interviewed.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Those guys wanted to be interviewed.

Again, please tell me how you interview someone who will not allow themselves to be interviewed.

I see reporters put their cameras and microphones in people's faces all the time and not all those people WANT to be interviewed. They could always do that and the guy could just say "no comment" or whatever, but the press doesn't even seem REMOTELY INTERESTED.

Bill Ayers
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM

But NO ONE can interview the ultra-elusive Bill Ayers. I see.

Speak to me

Anti.Hero
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Why do you support cop killers?

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I see reporters put their cameras and microphones in people's faces all the time and not all those people WANT to be interviewed. They could always do that and the guy could just say "no comment" or whatever, but the press doesn't even seem REMOTELY INTERESTED.Fox doesn't seem remotely interested either. Why is that?

Bloggers can hold microphones too. Why don't they?

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Why do you support cop killers?Who is supporting him?

Anti.Hero
10-27-2008, 05:21 PM
My main man Bill Ayers up top.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I see reporters put their cameras and microphones in people's faces all the time and not all those people WANT to be interviewed. They could always do that and the guy could just say "no comment" or whatever, but the press doesn't even seem REMOTELY INTERESTED.:lol

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Vote2008/story?id=6120141&page=1

Now what are you going to bitch about?

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:29 PM
My main man Bill Ayers up top.Oh, he's not a terribly good troll.

Bill Ayers
10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh, he's not a terribly good troll.

Touch my privacy

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:36 PM
See what I mean?

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-27-2008, 05:47 PM
The media isn't biased, they are incompetent

+1 million. Truer words were never spoken.

Darrin, as someone with a background in journalism myself I feel your pain, but the conclusions you've drawn are simply not in keeping with what I've witnessed.

I think that most reputable reporters leak a little bias now and then, being as we are human it is inevitable. The reason this laziness has been allowed to fester is simply because there is no accountability when they do.

One of the really sinister elements of the Fox News revolution is that it not only makes a mockery of its own side of the fence, but it also creates a permissiveness on the liberal side. If you scream that everything is biased when clearly it isn't, then your screaming has no effect, even when it's correct. So you get a boy who cried wolf atmosphere without any checks and balances.

There are so many things to blame. The corruption of the FCC, the corporate greed that has undermined the integrity of nearly all our major news organizations, the superficiality of promoting hairdos above seasoned reporting, the emergence of the 24 hour news cycle, and an indifferent populace are all among major elements.

I'm seriously starting to fear that journalistic integrity is an ideal of a bygone age and I have no idea how to go about combating that deplorable situation.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
:lol

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Vote2008/story?id=6120141&page=1

Now what are you going to bitch about?

About fucking time. See, that wasn't so hard. At least PRETEND like you're interested in interviewing the man. Geez.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
About fucking time. See, that wasn't so hard. At least PRETEND like you're interested in interviewing the man. Geez.

"But Bill Ayers is staying mum, and working hard to duck reporters and the campaign spotlight in the final week before the election."

That would seem to indicate others have been trying to get to him for some time. But I suppose to satisfy your requirements there should be multiple images of Ayers lifting his briefcase to cover his face as he runs from driveway to door?

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Some freelancer tried a few days ago and it showed up on Billo's show too.

Same results.

Dude isn't giving interviews.

DarrinS
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
"But Bill Ayers is staying mum, and working hard to duck reporters and the campaign spotlight in the final week before the election."

That would seem to indicate others have been trying to get to him for some time. But I suppose to satisfy your requirements there should be multiple images of Ayers lifting his briefcase to cover his face as he runs from driveway to door?

Well, that was the first time I've seen anyone event ATTEMPT to approach him with questions, so I guess ABC has earned a sliver of credibility.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Well, that was the first time I've seen anyone event ATTEMPT to approach him with questions, so I guess ABC has earned a sliver of credibility.Most of the time folks just call and ask.

Guess what?

He refused.

MaryAnnKilledGinger
10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, that was the first time I've seen anyone event ATTEMPT to approach him with questions, so I guess ABC has earned a sliver of credibility.

You think the media should report on its failure to get someone to agree to be interviewed?

"And now, before we sign off, ladies and gentlemen, here is the list of people we attempted to interview but could not."

Be serious.

ChumpDumper
10-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Here's another.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ayers-15-oct15,0,842672.story

That's three in the past couple of weeks.

I'm sensing a trend here.

boutons_
10-27-2008, 06:48 PM
The media certainly want to talk about 40 years ago, convict him in the media, not what he's been doing in the last couple decades.

Would anybody here, exception the attention whores, be any different? I wouldn't.

LnGrrrR
10-27-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm seriously starting to fear that journalistic integrity is an ideal of a bygone age and I have no idea how to go about combating that deplorable situation.

Hence why bloggers are doing that job...

boutons_
10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Here's CNN being "fair and balanced", giving airtime to a total slimebag:

Author of Obama Muslim rumor replaces it with Communist rumor

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Author_of_Obama_Muslim_rumor_changes_1027.html

I guess they figure it will sell them ads, and/or just fill up dead space in their programming.

MannyIsGod
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM

You want to know why thats the first time? Because you haven't been looking. You're expecting the media to spoon feed you the information and then you call "bias" when they don't give you what you want?

This is such bullshit. We live in a world where we have more access than ever to information and people are complaining about media bias? Complain about a lazy electorate if anything. I mean after all you yourself just displayed the problem in its fullest extent.

It is completely retarded that the people complaining about the specter of socialism are the same ones now complaining about a media bias that if it is occurring is occurring as a result of a capitalistic media who's bottom line is not fairness in information but the almighty dollar. Don't get pissed off when capitalism works against you.

Tully365
10-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Whenever someone brings up the supposed bias of the media, I think about how our country is in a war... right now... and it is incredibly rare to see so much as a soldier with a band-aid on his toe, because that image (I guess) would be a real downer, and might possibly distract us all from the big substantial issues like Paris Hilton, Bill Ayers, and American Idol. The pro-war people believe the war is noble enough to risk American lives and collateral damage to innocent Iraqis, but not so much that it should be front and center in our daily news information.

byrontx
10-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Hearst, Cox, Fox, Murdock and they still bitch!

Here's some news for you-the right controls the noise machine and, for the most part, the press. You only bitch about the news sources you do not control as of yet. Bush would have been out of office and in a jail cell if we had a responsible press.

DarrinS
10-28-2008, 09:33 AM
You want to know why thats the first time? Because you haven't been looking. You're expecting the media to spoon feed you the information and then you call "bias" when they don't give you what you want?

This is such bullshit. We live in a world where we have more access than ever to information and people are complaining about media bias? Complain about a lazy electorate if anything. I mean after all you yourself just displayed the problem in its fullest extent.

It is completely retarded that the people complaining about the specter of socialism are the same ones now complaining about a media bias that if it is occurring is occurring as a result of a capitalistic media who's bottom line is not fairness in information but the almighty dollar. Don't get pissed off when capitalism works against you.

Dude, the first time I've ever seen anyone approach Ayers was yesterday -- and that was the link that ChumpDumper posted. Do you have another?

And you guys that constantly slam capitalism are creeping me out. Should I not let my daughter have a lemonade stand. Or, maybe I should, but I should distribute the profits to all the kids that didn't have a lemonde stand.

DarkReign
10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
And you guys that constantly slam capitalism are creeping me out. Should I not let my daughter have a lemonade stand. Or, maybe I should, but I should distribute the profits to all the kids that didn't have a lemonde stand.

You should be creeped out. IMO, privatized banks/insurance/healthcare will be things of the past in the next 10 years.

Just an opinion.

DarrinS
10-28-2008, 10:09 AM
You should be creeped out. IMO, privatized banks/insurance/healthcare will be things of the past in the next 10 years.

Just an opinion.

Frightening.

boutons_
10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
"constantly slam capitalism"

Capitalism, having gorged itself, is slamming the world now and for years to come.

But that's OK, whatever unregulated, predatory, rapacious capitalism does is perfectly OK for DarrinS.

Your daughter's lemonade stand? Does she have any in red herring flavor?

DarrinS
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
But that's OK, whatever unregulated, predatory, rapacious capitalism does is perfectly OK for DarrinS.

Republicans TRIED to regulate Fanny Mae, but the Dems called it a "politcal lynching" of Franklin Raines.

Raines went to Harvard Law School, with honors. LOL.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I blame you for all the country's problems since you voted for Obama.

DarrinS
10-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I blame you for all the country's problems since you voted for Obama.

:toast

boutons_
10-28-2008, 11:29 AM
"Republicans TRIED to regulate Fanny Mae"

not very seriously, and with the Repugs, such bullshit is smokescreen for something else, eg:

19 states, including NY/Spitzer, saw predatory lending to unqualified borrowers and tried to get it stopped. Dubya shut that down, and had a strange ruling to stop the states from regulating lenders.

btw, bogus bogeyman ACORN also agitated against predatory lenders snagging poor people they service, but were ignored and blocked.

RandomGuy
10-28-2008, 11:44 AM

"Joe the Plumber"? Please. He eagerly whored himself out to anyone who would listen.

There have been plenty of things on ayers and rezco all the rest.

It just gets drowned out because in the end, there isn't anything really there, and it gets extremely old after a while.

The right wouldn't be happy unless they had pictures of Obama lobbing bombs at the Pentagon, and taking a suitcase of money from Rezco, because that is what they have spun this to be.

The reality of either relationship was much tamer and much more boring.

The truth squads that really looked into both came back with little or nothing to show for it. No smoking guns, no nothing.

To claim that there wasn't ANY look into it, is to ignore all of the stories of those that did.

RandomGuy
10-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Just an opinion.

We'll see.

I doubt the doom and gloom stuff will happen.

People who predict radical change tend to discount the simple inertia of the status quo.

I have no doubt the next 10 years will bring some change with it, but thinking that the financial and healthcare sector will somehow be completely nationalized in 10 years seems to be a bit of an extreme prediction to me.

MannyIsGod
10-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Dude, the first time I've ever seen anyone approach Ayers was yesterday -- and that was the link that ChumpDumper posted. Do you have another?

I'm not slamming capitalism. I'm slamming people complaining about a loss of "fairness" they get due capitalism. There is no media bias to Obama. There is a media bias to money and its easier to sell a young handsome black man than an old torn up white man.

If you want the media to have a more even presentation then ask yourself why the American public doesn't want to see McCain? The 2 biggest draws this election season are Obama and Palin. Its all about money.