PDA

View Full Version : Are the Celtics top 5 defensive team ever?

ImmortalD24
10-27-2008, 01:35 PM
zQaVvf2VOsc

Greg Oden
10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
:lol at this guy trying to justify Kobe's choke.

RsxPiimp
10-27-2008, 01:46 PM
they are. never seen a defensive team (from starting 5 to the 9th man) rotate like those mofo's.

it also helps if you have a DPOY forward, a very underrated wing defenders (Pierce,Posey) and a very solid defensive guard roaming the floor (Rondo).

not as good as the second three peat era bulls or 95 rockets but they are closing in if they win some more titles with the same unit.

Indazone
10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Rockets match up pretty well with the Celtics. We can take them down!

IronMexican
10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Great video. Although, the entire NBA playoffs was badly called, so I wont say bad calls costed us the title. The more physycal team usually gets away with more. LA just needed to play a bit more physical.

RsxPiimp
10-27-2008, 01:51 PM
you guys also have to remember that these guys started from scratch. they went from a lottery team into a championship crew overnight.

a lot of new faces in a year and rooks/sophomores in this team.

i think they will be much more deadlier defensively this year, so as long as they dont get complacent and let that championship ego goes through their head,

Red Hawk #21
10-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Honestly I think they have one of the best defenses I've ever seen, they just seem to know how to disrupt the opponents offense and bother the opponents star player. Their defense is suffocating.

ducks
10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
this year or last?

Allanon
10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
That was a pretty good video analysis. The Celtics are a very physical team, and yes, plenty of handcheck+zoneduring the Finals.

But no excuses, I think it was a great learning experience for the Lakers and could be the loss that puts them over the top.

This year, with Bynum, Pau, Kobe, Celtics won't be able to double and triple Kobe without paying a steep price. And after getting pushed around so much last year, I think you'll see a much tougher Lakers team this year.

xtremesteven33
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Rockets defense > Celtics defense

this year

InRareForm
10-27-2008, 03:05 PM
'04 Pistons Defense >> Bostons Defense

JamStone
10-27-2008, 03:32 PM
They were great defensively last year, but tough to say if they are top 5 ever. Detroit and San Antonio each have at least a couple of teams that were certainly up there. And, the Chicago Bulls teams in the third threepeat era were dominant defensively. Tough call, but they were probably up there close to among the best.

sook
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Rockets defense > Celtics defense

this year

notwith Yao ming in the lineup, our defense always gets shitty when he plays. Dikembe was the reason we were so good defensively, Yao is too slow and gets dominated

stretch
10-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Michael's Bulls
Larry's Pistons
Pop's Spurs

Three greatest defensive squads ever, hands down. No one comes close, especially not the Celtics last year, who IMO are very good, but overrated.

KG defends shitty players well, and gets weakside blocks. Get physical with him, he melts down as much as Gasol. He just gets hyped because he gets blocks and screams to show his "heart" that conveniently disappears when it counts (final 5 minutes of a close game) as he transforms into the NBAs biggest crunchtime bitch of all time.

Take James Posey off that team, and their defense drops exponentially. That guy is the heart and soul of their defense. Along with the offense, which puts pressure on their opponents to take bad shots, which makes their defensive stats look even better (much like the Suns had done).

The 2007 Spurs would have beat the 2008 Celtics in 6, maybe 5.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
The Celtics were the best defensive team in the league last year. They are a better defensive team than any Spurs team that had a center rotation that was shorter than Tim Duncan.

stretch
10-27-2008, 10:56 PM
The Celtics were statistically the best defensive team in the league last year because their offense was so efficient and they played in a trashy eastern conference that doesn't score shit, not because they were truly a gritty, lockdown defensive team. If they were in the west, they would not have even won 60 games, or been in first place in any defensive category, whereas the Spurs have perennially been one of, if not THE best defensive team in the NBA in a tough western conference.

Fixed.

RsxPiimp
10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Michael's Bulls
Larry's Pistons
Pop's Spurs

no way in hell larrys pistons are better defensively than chuck daly's pistons.

TheMadHatter
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm baffled that people continue to hatefully spew that Kobe choked in the Finals.

zQaVvf2VOsc

The truth is the Celtics were a great defensive team with a gameplan set to specifically stop Kobe. They held Lebron to 19% shooting for nearly 3 straight games. Give credit where credit is due, they deserved to win because they were the best team in the league. Enough with this fucking revisionist history. It's quite clear half of you here are still pissed at Kobe for all the times he's torched your Spurs and destroyed your championship dreams.

RsxPiimp
10-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm baffled that people continue to hatefully spew that Kobe choked in the Finals.

zQaVvf2VOsc

The truth is the Celtics were a great defensive team with a gameplan set to specifically stop Kobe. They held Lebron to 19% shooting for nearly 3 straight games. Give credit where credit is due, they deserved to win because they were the best team in the league. Enough with this fucking revisionist history. It's quite clear half of you here are still pissed at Kobe for all the times he's torched your Spurs and destroyed your championship dreams.

gotta agree here. celtics did got away with a lot especially games 1 and 2.

TheMACHINE
10-28-2008, 12:38 AM
no joke..bostons rotation (dirty tricks aside) was amazing...as if they were tied together with a bunjee cord.

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2008, 12:40 AM
winning a championship can overrated a player/team so easy to legend status...fkn lame

TheMadHatter
10-28-2008, 12:50 AM
It just makes it more unbelievable that they let Posey go. He was the lynch pin for all their dirty underhanded techniques on defense. Without him they lose a lot of that toughness.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Fixed.

Nope. Not even close. I've been watching good defensive basketball long enough to recognize it when I see it. I saw the Spurs get out to a 20 point lead early and get reeled back in to lose. I saw the Celtics beat just about every good team in the west, including beating the Lakers pretty convincingly. That was a good fucking defense top to bottom. KG is a great role player, and he's in the perfect situation where you don't have to try to rely on him to come up big, he just has to show up and put up his numbers. Doc had everyone buying in to his system.

stretch
10-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Nope. Not even close. I've been watching good defensive basketball long enough to recognize it when I see it. I saw the Spurs get out to a 20 point lead early and get reeled back in to lose. I saw the Celtics beat just about every good team in the west, including beating the Lakers pretty convincingly. That was a good fucking defense top to bottom. KG is a great role player, and he's in the perfect situation where you don't have to try to rely on him to come up big, he just has to show up and put up his numbers. Doc had everyone buying in to his system.

:td

Wrong.

Fail.

z0sa
10-28-2008, 11:21 AM
That was a pretty good video analysis. The Celtics are a very physical team, and yes, plenty of handcheck+zoneduring the Finals.

But no excuses, I think it was a great learning experience for the Lakers and could be the loss that puts them over the top.

This year, with Bynum, Pau, Kobe, Celtics won't be able to double and triple Kobe without paying a steep price. And after getting pushed around so much last year, I think you'll see a much tougher Lakers team this year.

I thought wins put you over the top. Losses generally do things like destroy confidence and team chemistry, especially an implosion like in the 08 finals. You do remember one of the worst finals blowouts ever, right?

IronMexican
10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
I thought wins put you over the top. Losses generally do things like destroy confidence and team chemistry, especially an implosion like in the 08 finals. You do remember one of the worst finals blowouts ever, right?

It certainly imploded the 96-99 Lakers. Or the Bulls in the early 90's.

TheMACHINE
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Then why does the Spurs seem to win a ring AFTER they lose? Probably a special case only for your beloved Spurs right?

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
:td

Wrong.

Fail.

Wow, convincing stuff. No wonder your opinions are so highly respected. :lol

RsxPiimp
10-28-2008, 03:17 PM

bad analogy

stretch
10-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow, convincing stuff. No wonder your opinions are so highly respected. :lol

They are. Thanks.

:toast