PDA

View Full Version : Slam Dunk Champ Jones Reconsidering Dunk Contest Decision

pooh
02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Link (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fjones_dunk_050215.html)

Jones Reconsidering Dunk Contest Decision

By Conrad Brunner
Feb. 15, 2005

Just when Fred Jones had decided to change his mind and defend his Sprite Rising Stars Slam-Dunk title, he was given a painful reminder of the reason he originally decided not to participate.

Jones accepted an invitation from the NBA Monday to join the dunk contest Saturday night in Denver. But after aggravating his sore right knee in a collision with Eddie Gill during practice Tuesday, Jones was strongly reconsidering his decision to reconsider.

"Yesterday, I got myself talked up to do it," he said. "I was real excited about doing it and everything. I pumped myself up. Family and friends put the pressure on me like they did the year before, so I was excited.

"Today, I came in here and did this (looking down at the ice bag on his knee). I'm not sure what's going to happen now. I don't even know if I'm going to be able to play tomorrow (against Portland)."

Jones is the Pacers' top bench scorer at 11.0 points per game and leads the team in games (48) and minutes (1,558). As much as he'd enjoy defending his dunk title, he fully understands the greater priority placed on his health for the remainder of the season.

The Pacers, 24-26, need all the healthy bodies they can muster for what promises to be a competitive battle for playoff positioning in the Eastern Conference. That's why he originally declined the offer to participate.

"It wasn't that I was trying to take the title and run," he said. "That was never the case. I'm always up for a challenge. My knee just hasn't been right the whole season. I didn't want to go in and (give) half-effort and not be able to do the best I could. I'm sure people don't want to see a half-effort. That's why I wasn't doing it in the first place."

He was planning to make the trip to Denver, at least as a spectator, but will postpone his final decision until after consulting with the team's medical staff.

"I'll be (in Denver), definitely," he said. "I have to get with the trainers and see if they feel like it'll be beneficial for me to try it. The most important thing is for me to be ready to play the second half of the season for this team."

ducks
02-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Stoudemire will dunk, James still not sure
February 16, 2005

DENVER (AP) -- Phoenix Suns forward Amare Stoudemire will take part in Saturday's NBA slam dunk contest during All-Star weekend, but LeBron James is still making up his mind.

James, a starter for the Eastern Conference in Sunday's All-Star game, was not one of the four players who committed Wednesday to compete in the contest. He has a standing invitation from the NBA, but said he might take until Friday to decide.

``It is a 'yes or no' answer,'' said James, who has been pressed about a decision nearly every day for the past few weeks. ``I just haven't decided if I'll do it or not. You know me, I'm a last-minute person.''

Stoudemire, a Western Conference All-Star, also competed during his rookie season in 2003 when he finished third. Atlanta rookie Josh Smith, and New Orleans' Chris Andersen and rookie J.R. Smith round out the field.

Andersen took part in last year's contest, but did not advance past the first round.

james is starting to act like drama queen mailman