PDA

View Full Version : Lakers waive Coby Karl / Knicks waive Patrick Ewing Jr.

DPG21920
10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Coby Karl, who played in 17 games for the Los Angeles Lakers last season, was waived by the defending Western Conference champions Monday.

Karl, the son of Denver Nuggets coach George Karl, averaged 1.8 points, 0.8 rebounds and 4.2 minutes as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Lakers. He also played in 17 games with the Los Angeles D-Fenders of the NBA Development League, averaging 17.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.1 steals.

The 6-foot-5 guard averaged 14.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.0 assists as a senior at Boise State two years ago. He ranks third on the school's career scoring list with 1,698 career points and left the school as its leader in games played (127) and 3-pointers (266).

The move left the Lakers with 14 players on their roster entering Tuesday night's season opener against Portland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3667369

The New York Knicks reached the mandatory 15-man roster limit Monday at the expense of a Ewing.

Patrick Ewing Jr., who lit up Madison Square Garden in the Knicks' final preseason game Friday, was involved in the team's final roster move as the Knicks chose to keep shooting guard Anthony Roberson and cut Ewing.

Patrick Ewing Jr.

Ewing Jr.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh signed Roberson this summer to a one-year guaranteed contract for about $800,000. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni was a big backer of the signing, even comparing Roberson to Eddie House, whom D'Antoni coached with the Phoenix Suns.

Roberson made only two field goals in 10 attempts in limited minutes in the preseason. Ewing's contract was only partially guaranteed for the league minimum of $430,000, although Walsh said money was not a factor in the Knicks' decision to cut him.

D'Antoni had said that the fact that Ewing's father is a Knicks legend could not be ignored, but it wouldn't factor into the decision. Patrick Ewing is a Hall of Fame center and the Knicks' all-time leader in scoring, rebounding, blocked shots and steals.

"I think he's a lot better than what I thought he was, and I think he has a chance to make the NBA," D'Antoni was quoted as saying in Monday's New York Times, before Ewing's release was announced. "I think he's got work to do. Would he help us on the floor this year? I don't know."

On Friday against the Nets, the 6-foot-8 Ewing scored seven points in nine fourth-quarter minutes to lead a near comeback and had the Garden crowd on its feet with two monster dunks.

After much speculation this offseason, Stephon Marbury is also still a Knick. However, Marbury is not expected to be in the starting lineup. Chris Duhon will start at the point, with Jamal Crawford at shooting guard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3667114

dbreiden83080
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Great Marbury won't be starting at the bargain basement price of like 25 million...... :bang

TheMACHINE
10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
coby karl will be a great 15th person for another team.

Allanon
10-27-2008, 05:37 PM
That was too bad about Coby and Ewing, they both try pretty hard when they're on the court.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm sure Coby will come crying to Dad to come and sign him

DPG21920
10-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Coby is a good player.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
10-28-2008, 09:52 PM
in the D-League Coby had 18 points a game, shot 83% from the free throw line, and over 40% from behind the arc
he's not that bad

lefty
10-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Coby is a good player.

The right spelling is K-o-b-e