PDA

View Full Version : Batum to start season opener

tlongII
10-27-2008, 06:45 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/breaking_news_batum_to_start_s.html

One of the most improbable possibilities of the Trail Blazers' training camp became a reality Monday when coach Nate McMillan confirmed that he would start rookie Nicolas Batum at small forward during tomorrow's season opener at the Los Angeles Lakers.

Batum, a 19 year-old rookie from France, who seemed more suited for the Development League when he made his debut at the Las Vegas Summer League in June, instead will be begin his NBA career by filling in for the injured Martell Webster before a nationally-televised audience.

McMillan said he went with Batum over six-year veteran Travis Outlaw in part because Outlaw feels more comfortable coming off the bench but mostly because it allows him to keep his second unit together. The group of Sergio Rodriguez, Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye and Joel Przybilla has shown that it can be a dynamic and exciting up-tempo unit that could pose matchup problems for opposing teams.

"I think Nicolas is going to be better with that first group," McMillan said. "He doesn't have to do as much with the first group -- just defend, rebound and run -- as he would with the second group. And we can keep our second group in tact with Sergio, Travis, Rudy, Frye and Joel."

Batum, who was considered a project when he was drafted with the 25th overall pick in June, blossomed into a starting candidate last week and started the Blazers' final three exhibition games. He showed standout defensive ability and unusual poise for a rookie.

McMillan's decision came down to whether he wanted defense (Batum) or experience (Outlaw). Going with defense means the Blazers will feature two rookies (Batum and Greg Oden) in a starting lineup alongside Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Steve Blake.

"Well, you know what? We don't have a lot of experience," McMillan said. "It could go either way. If we don't (start) two rookies ... we're going to have three coming (off the bench). We're a young group. I think with that first group, with Brandon being out there, Greg, LaMarcus, we are going to go through those three guys and Nic can play off of those guys. And defensively, he gives us a wing defender. We will use that as long as we can."

Batum averaged 6.6 points, 2.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks while playing 18.7 minutes per game during the exhibition season.

JamStone
10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Joel Przybilla should keep himself ready because he'll start plenty of games as well when another starter goes down to injury.

tlongII
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Joel Przybilla should keep himself ready because he'll start plenty of games as well when another starter goes down to injury.

I guess we'll see, huh Jammie?

Allanon
10-27-2008, 07:03 PM
What does Travis Outlaw think of this, tlong? Any word?

The Franchise
10-27-2008, 07:05 PM
For some reason I'm not to surprised by this.

Allanon
10-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Throwing that Rookie to the sharks on opening day could ruin his season.

I didn't think about it that way but you do have a point.

The Blazers have one of the toughest opening schedules in the NBA. It would suck to be demoted:

Lakers
Spurs
Suns
Jazz
Rockets
Magic
Heat (I think the Heat will be respectable this year)
Hornies

Bruno
10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Batum is for real, I've said if for months.
Even at his young age, he can help a NBA team as a glue guy. If he improves his jumpshot, he could become an all star down the road.
He wasn't in a good situation with Blazers but Webster injury is a blessing for him.
I also like his commitment for the French NT.

Allanon
10-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Batum is for real, I've said if for months.
Even at his young age, he can help a NBA team as a glue guy. If he improves his jumpshot, he could become an all star down the road.
He wasn't in a good situation with Blazers but Webster injury is a blessing for him.
I also like his commitment for the French NT.

I like Batum too and I think he's very talented. I just don't know if it's a good idea to throw him into the starting lineup with that kind of opening schedule.

It's a chance for him to sink or swim (as lakaluva originally pointed out) which might be dangerous for such a young player.

Bruno
10-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I like Batum too and I think he's very talented. I just don't know if it's a good idea to throw him into the starting lineup with that kind of opening schedule.

It's a chance for him to sink or swim (as lakaluva originally pointed out) which might be dangerous for such a young player.

Batum isn't a HS player. He has two Euroleague seasons behind him.
He knows sharks. At 17 years old, he was thrown to the biggest ones outside the NBA.

The Franchise
10-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Batum isn't a HS player. He has two Euroleague seasons behind him.
He knows sharks. At 17 years old, he was thrown to the biggest ones outside the NBA.

I was going to say he was already a professional but you beat me to it.:toast

mystargtr34
10-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Batum was my favourite player in the draft, i want him to do well but its gonna hurt knowing we were one pick away.

No point dwelling though since he didnt get to us.

tlongII
10-27-2008, 08:01 PM
What does Travis Outlaw think of this, tlong? Any word?

Travis is fine with it. He knows that it's better for the team if he comes off the bench.

tlongII
10-27-2008, 08:04 PM
All he has to do is play D and rebound. He can handle that. The only problem is that it gives the refs someone to target for foul calls.

Spurtacus
10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Fucking lucky Blazers.

IronMexican
10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Odom for Outlaw.

Obstructed_View
10-27-2008, 10:46 PM
That's a heck of a good second unit. Damn they got some talent.

JMarkJohns
10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
That's a heck of a good second unit. Damn they got some talent.

And that's not even counting Jerryd Bayless, Martell Webster and Ike Diogu, THREE additional lottery selections not even in the Blazers current ten-man rotation.

Obviously Diogu has been a bust thus far, but he's still a skilled forward. Webster is still improving and Bayless has as much potential as any body picked after #3 overall.

They still have late 1st-rounder, Joel Freeland, developing elsewhere to boot.

21_Blessings
10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Portlands going to get crushed tonight.

dirk4mvp
10-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Odom for Outlaw.

Forget that. We're offering Dick Breath to the Blazers for Outlaw.

IronMexican
10-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Devean George > Kobe

Mister Sinister
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Is that an Omen?
Gregory Peck says what?

Spurtacus
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Batum didn't start.

JamStone
10-28-2008, 11:23 PM

It took a entire half.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 11:51 PM
It took a entire half.

I'm pretty sure he hurt his foot about three minutes in, when Bynum hard fouled him. They had just switched over from the Cavs/Celts game.

Duncanoypi
10-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Batum ended the game...not started...damn it Nate!

I picked him up in waiver!

angelbelow
10-29-2008, 03:30 AM
the few minutes he played he looked good. confident and active.

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 04:11 AM
Batum was my favourite player in the draft, i want him to do well but its gonna hurt knowing we were one pick away.

No point dwelling though since he didnt get to us.

Mine too. I really regret the Spurs didn't get a crack at him. He possesses the size and skill the Spurs have lacked and longed for at the SF position. I expect him to develop into a really good player for a long time.

Looks like Nate changed his mind. He didn't start him after all.