PDA

View Full Version : Blazers banking on a high-yield bond

tlongII
10-27-2008, 11:29 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/blazers_banking_on_a_highyield.html

Two days before the Trail Blazers' first practice, and one day before the team would greet reporters for its annual media day, a season of potential took its first significant step.

It was somewhat of a secret start to the season, as coach Nate McMillan invited the cornerstones of the franchise -- Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden -- to his West Linn house for dinner.

"The whole hype," Roy said, "was that Coach Nate was cooking."

Throughout the night, they talked finances. They talked football. But mostly, the subject of conversation was themselves: to one another, about one another, for one another.

In Trail Blazers parlance, it was a meeting of the Super Heroes.

McMillan calls it The Diamond -- touching his forefingers and thumbs together to symbolize the connection that needs to be established among Roy, Aldridge, Oden and "Coach Mac," as he calls himself.

Roy uses a different term, envisioning the young players as the NBA's up-and-coming version of The Big Three, a term made popular last season in Boston as the Celtics rode Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to the NBA title.

No matter what name they go by, the three players and McMillan know one thing is certain: They are going to have to anchor the team if the Blazers' five-year playoff drought is to end.

But they knew that before they entered McMillan's front door. What they found out at McMillan's dinner table is what they think will carry them through the hard times: They all value one another, and each feels the other players make him better. And they discovered that they have some of the same fears of not living up to expectations, yet have the same fire to ensure they do. And they all vowed to communicate, recognize and help when one of the trio is struggling.

They talked about scenarios where jealousy could arise, and how they would handle it. They talked about what each player needs from the others. They talked about what they value in one another.

"I thought it was a great start to building a chemistry, to building a bond with those two guys," Aldridge said. "And I think it was important, because I think in order for us to be a good team, that triangle has to be real tight. When things go down, or things get tense, we have to be the three who step up."

An invitation to talk

McMillan had used outside-the-box coaching tactics during his first three seasons in Portland. In his first season, he hosted a team bowling excursion. And nearly every season, he holds a Christmas party at his home.

This gathering was different, because it centered on individuals, not team -- a concept that goes against everything McMillan preaches. But sensing the rising expectations of the fan base, and acknowledging his inclinations that this could be a breakthrough season, McMillan extended his invitations.

To Roy, the All-Star and unquestioned leader of the team.

To Aldridge, the burgeoning big man with such skill and grace that McMillan compares him to Garnett, a certain Hall of Famer.

And to Oden, the No. 1 pick in 2007 returning from a season on the sideline spent recovering from microfracture knee surgery. McMillan simply calls him "Big Fella," and the coach knows a big part of the season will be helping the 7-footer adapt to the expectations Oden himself, and so many others, have placed on his shoulders.

"They have a chance to build something very special here," McMillan said. "And I've seen it happen before. But I've also seen it where egos can't work together and they break up and separate. So I wanted to get it all out there.

"I knew there would be so much talk surrounding those guys, and for the first time, they were going to be together. So I wanted them to talk about the three of them coexisting. I wanted them to talk about where they thought the organization was. I wanted them to talk about what could happen here.

"But more than anything, I just wanted us to talk."

Setting the table

The first talk was between Roy and Aldridge, but it had nothing to do with basketball.

They met on the steps of McMillan's house, Aldridge arriving first, but waiting for Roy to approach before ringing the doorbell. They rang. And rang. And rang.

"We rang the doorbell like eight times," Aldridge said. "And Coach didn't answer. So Brandon and I started talking, like, 'Is this the right house?'"

Standing in casual sweat suits, the two young players didn't know what to do. But before they had to make a decision, McMillan answered the door.

Aldridge said they playfully chided McMillan, asking him, "What? You busy or something?" He said McMillan replied proudly, "No. I was in the West Wing."

"He was trying to be funny," Aldridge said, unimpressed.

Soon, they understood the humor. McMillan's home is White House huge. And spotless.

"We asked Coach if we had to take our shoes off because his house is so nice," Roy said.

They meandered into the kitchen area, where the Sunday night football game between Philadelphia and Chicago was on TV. They talked football -- Roy a Seahawks fan, McMillan a Steelers fan and Aldridge a Cowboys fan -- and they talk about the economy and how to protect their money. And of course, they talked about Oden, and how he was late.

Rookie.

As it turns out, Oden had called McMillan earlier and told him the navigation system in his car directed him astray, so the coach knew Oden would be a few minutes behind.

Roy said McMillan then retreated into the kitchen and began to bring out appetizers: hot wings, ribs ... wait a minute. Roy spotted some bags in the kitchen. And some wrappers.

Coach cooking? Ha.

"The stuff is from that restaurant by the practice facility, Claim Jumper," Roy said. "We were like 'Man, you ain't cookin'.' But to be honest, we were glad, because we were a bit worried about him making us sick for the first day of training camp."

When Oden arrived, Aldridge and Roy razzed him about being late. Soon, McMillan moved them into a dining area, where the full spread was laid out: ribs, chicken, corn, mashed potatoes, green beans.

Aldridge picked a chair at the end of the table so he could see the football game. Oden was the next to sit, opting for the left of Aldridge. McMillan sat across from Oden, and Roy, the last to sit, took the seat across from Aldridge -- the only one without a view of the television.

At this point, McMillan surveyed the scene.

"The food is ready. I'm ready. I've got them in my home, and I wanted a relaxed atmosphere so we can lay it all out where we are and who we are," McMillan said. "I thought we should just start with 'Let's eat.'"

Oden said he dug in to the wings, corn and chicken. Aldridge, a huge barbecue fan, went for the ribs. Roy tried a little of everything.

"Pretty soon, I knew they were relaxed when they started opening up my refrigerator without asking to get a pop," McMillan said, smiling. "And I knew they were comfortable when they were going into my cabinets to get spices. I was like 'OK. This is good. It's working.'"

Now, McMillan sensed, it was time to talk. Really talk.

Discussing roles

Of all the players on the Blazers, Roy is the most gifted at public speaking and verbalizing his thoughts. Aldridge, on the other hand, is more closed -- even to teammates -- and Oden has taken a speak-when-spoken-to approach since the season started.

McMillan knew all of this, so he devised a discussion format where he would serve as a moderator providing the topics.

"I kind of set the stage for all of them to talk," McMillan said. "I didn't want just Brandon to talk. I wanted to hear Greg. LaMarcus, I want you to talk."

The talked about each player's place on the team, particularly Aldridge's. Everyone knew Roy as the All-Star and rookie of the year. And Oden as the No. 1 overall pick. But how did Aldridge feel about being the one rarely talked about? And did the other two take time to think about Aldridge's feelings regarding the attention?

McMillan also presented a possible scenario: Because of knee surgeries to Roy and Oden, he might rest the two for certain practices. Not because of star treatment, but to keep the knees rested. Aldridge, always a tireless worker, was asked how he felt about that. And Roy and Oden were cautioned that if that scenario does arise, they should respect and acknowledge that Aldridge is practicing.

They spoke to Oden, telling him that even though it was his rookie season, they wanted to see his ego. They wanted to see some attitude.

They talked about the flow of games, explaining to Oden that he shouldn't feel left out if Roy and Aldridge get in a groove and start playing off each other. And they talked about slumps, and how to be prepared if others start calling the team "Brandon's and Greg's" or "LaMarcus and Brandon's."

Then, they took turns talking about the other players. Roy would tell Aldridge what he liked about his game, and Aldridge would tell Oden how he makes the game easier for him. Oden would reveal how Roy and Aldridge can help him through his rookie season.

"That was a good moment," Roy said. "Because we all know we are all talented players, but to hear what each had to say -- the stuff like, 'I feel like I can take on anybody when I've got you two beside me' -- that was just energizing. And Coach butted in and said, 'That's what we have to bring. That confidence right there.'"

Oden said he felt a little out of place at the meeting and therefore didn't say much.

"They were a bit more vocal than me," Oden said. "I was sitting there thinking, 'I haven't even played yet; I don't even know what it's about.' I didn't know what I could say, because I don't know exactly what it was we were talking about."

Aldridge said the biggest thing he took from the night was a feeling that he indeed belonged in the discussion of the team's Big Three.

"I was coming into this year with the mind-set that it was Brandon and Greg's team, and that I was going to have to do whatever I needed to do to fit in," Aldridge said. "But that night kind of brought me back in and made me realize we need all three of us."

Will the three be "Big"?

By the time they left -- after the Bears had defeated the Eagles 24-20 -- they had discovered that McMillan ordered way too much food, and that they all shared some of the same concerns, questions and feelings about the season and one another.

"It was a night we all needed," Roy said. "To kind of express things we all felt as leaders of the team."

Added Aldridge: "I think Coach just wanted to cover every corner, every curve to make sure nothing popped up during the season."

When the season finally arrives tonight, with the Blazers play at the defending Western Conference champion Los Angeles Lakers, Roy is eager to see whether he, Aldridge and Oden are just youngsters or indeed something worthy of a nickname.

"The Big Three will come when we produce on the floor," Roy said. "It's going to come against the Spurs. It's going to come against the Suns. We are going to have to deliver. Can we do it right away? Who knows? But it's all going to come down to how we lead this team, this year. Right now, I don't think we are there yet. But by next year at this time, hopefully we will be The Big Three. Right now, we are building toward it."

nkdlunch
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
can't wait to watch Fernandez

BWS-1994
10-29-2008, 03:47 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/10/blazers_banking_on_a_highyield.html

They talked about the flow of games, explaining to Oden that he shouldn't feel left out if Roy and Aldridge get in a groove and start playing off each other. And they talked about slumps, and how to be prepared if others start calling the team "Brandon's and Greg's" or "LaMarcus and Brandon's."

With Oden out again, it's looking more like the latter.