PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reasons to hate the Spurs...

Gino
10-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Pretty funny....although they list a lot more than five reasons. They just group reasons together.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/10/27/20081027spurs.html

1. The Spurs' mastery of the flop

Maybe its the recent influx of foreign talent from soccer-playing countries. Maybe poor officiating is to blame. For whatever reason, the flop is more prevalent than ever in the NBA, and the Spurs have it down pat.

Yes, there are players from every team that exaggerate fouls and throw themselves to the floor. But the Spurs have won four of the past 10 championships, and their mastery of the flop has helped spread its cause. Shameful.

2. The Spurs' complaint department
When flopping all over the court doesn't get the job done, the Spurs employ their special routine of relating to NBA officials.

Step 1: Plead your case any time a foul is not called in your favor.

Step 2: Express disbelief any time a foul is not called in your favor.

Step 3: Show outrage any time a foul is not called in your favor.

Step 4: Repeat Steps 1-3. The calls will eventually go your way.

3. The Spurs' incredible luck
5 reasons we love to hate the San Antonio Spurs
"It's better to be lucky than ..."

Since 1985, the NBA has had a draft lottery in place to discourage teams from losing intentionally (thereby improving their draft status), but that hasn't stopped non-contenders from trying.

During the 1996-97 season, the Spurs realized they weren't going to compete for an NBA championship with center David Robinson battling injuries, so they decided to sit the All-Star for all but six games. By tanking the season (they finished 20-62), the Spurs gave themselves a great shot at the No. 1 draft pick.

The 1996-97 Spurs bench: David Robinson sat out 76 games and Sean Elliott missed 43 that season.
Photo: Vince Bucci/AFP/Getty Images

At that time, 7-foot Wake Forest star Tim Duncan was just polishing off a four-year collegiate career. As luck would have it, the Spurs were awarded the top overall pick (their second - Robinson was No. 1 in 1987) and the no-brainer selection landed in San Antonio's lap.

Naismith College Player of the Year Tim Duncan meets his biggest fan in 1997.
Photo: Craig Jones/Allsport

In their defense, the Spurs have managed to win consistently in a smaller market by making shrewd front-office decisions, but it never hurts to be lucky.

Missed it by that much: In four decades of existence, the Suns have never been awarded the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft. The closest they have come is the two No. 2 picks: 1987: Armon Gilliam (San Antonio took David Robinson), 1969: Neal Walk (Milwaukee took Kareem Abdul-Jabbar after a coin flip with Suns).

4. The Spurs' questionable tactics

Shaquille O'Neal recently let Spurs coach Gregg Popovich know what he thinks about the Hack-A-Shaq strategy. Cowardly or not, intentional fouls are allowed and NBA fans just have to live with it. Playing dirty, however, is something that should not be tolerated.

After Game 2 of the 2007 Western Conference semifinals vs. the Spurs, Amaré Stoudemire let the world know how he felt about the Spurs and Bruce Bowen in particular.

"It was a wide-open play," he said. "I saw the replay and Bruce Bowen came up behind me, measured his feet and kicked me purposely in the back of my Achilles. That was a dirty play.

"I hope the NBA looks into in and takes a look at Bruce Bowen. In Game 1, I told Bruce to calm down because he might get somebody hurt out there. He had a 'don't care' type of attitude. And it showed in Game 2, when he kicked me purposely in my Achilles. I almost came down wrong and he almost caused an injury. He's known for doing that. I just hope the NBA and the commissioner takes a look because it's definitely a dirty play and that's not something we need. ... The Spurs are a dirty team."

Aside from violating the rule of providing bulletin-board material for the opposing team, Stoudemire may have made the series get even dirtier. Just two games later in the series, Robert Horry delivered the hip-check that forever altered the Suns-Spurs rivalry.

5. The Spurs' unlovable core of players

Bruce Bowen. Tim Duncan. Manu Ginobili. Tony Parker. Over the past seven seasons, this quartet has helped deliver three of the Spurs' four championships, not to mention countless moments of heartbreak to Suns fans.

Bruce Bowen

Considered one of the best defenders in the NBA, Bruise Bruce Bowen was named to his eighth consecutive All-Defensive team last season.

However, Bowen's resume also should include his vile collection of cheap shots. Bowen doesn't just bring smothering defensive pressure to the court. He is also a black belt in tripping, kicking, elbowing and undercutting. (More on that here.)

As the biggest cheap-shot artist in the league, Bowen is despised by players, owners, executives, bloggers and most non-Spurs fans. Millions will celebrate the day he retires from the league. And to top it all off, Bowen is a big Dallas Cowboys fan.

Tim Duncan

Duncan will go down as one of the best big men ever to play in the NBA. Mr. Fundamental is sound in every facet of the game (aside from perimeter shooting … but that didn't stop him from making a killer 3-pointer vs. the Suns in last season's playoffs).

However, there is plenty to dislike about Timmy. First off, he may be the single most boring superstar in the history of the game. Also, in over a decade in the NBA, Duncan has never accepted a foul called against him – ever. (For more on the Tim Duncan face click here - from the clever staff at Basketbawful.)

Alas, Duncan has owned the Suns when it counts the most. In his career, Duncan has played 30 playoff games vs. Phoenix, with a 20-10 record ... his retirement can't come soon enough.

Manu Ginobili

Ginobili was awarded the 2007-08 Sixth Man of the Year award, given to the best player in a reserve role. But Ginobili wasn't much of a benchwarmer. He started 23 of the 74 games he played last season, and trailed only Tim Duncan and Tony Parker in minutes per game (31.1). He also was a multiple MVP winner in Europe before joining the Spurs in 2002.

However, Ginobili brings more than pop off the bench. Argentina's favorite basketball player also brings plenty of flop. Whether its his Euroleague background or tricks learned growing up in a soccer-loving country, Ginobili loves spending time on his back ... and as stated previously, the Spurs embrace that style of play.

When Amaré Stoudemire was pointing out the Spurs' dirty tactics during the 2007 playoffs, Stoudemire recalled a play where Ginobili earlier that season had kneed him in the crotch. Class act.

Tony Parker

Tony Parker is consoled by an NBA official.
Photo: Michael Chow/The Arizona Republic

Tony Parker apparently has no problem with self-confidence. Then again, why would a 26-year-old with three NBA championship rings married to a Hollywood starlet have issues?

"When there is talk about the best point guards, sometimes they don't talk about me," Parker says. "They can talk about Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Deron Williams and Chris Paul. I still have the most rings."

Yes, Mr. Eva Longoria, your jewelry defines you.

samikeyp
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
When people take the time to come up with things like this, then you know you are doing something right. :)

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
WOW......so we should hate the spurs because:

1. They always beat the Suns
2. Duncan is boring
3. The Spurs play smart defense ("flopping")
4. We drafted Tim Duncan
5. They complain to the refs (which every team does)

I hope there are more articles like this. Id rather the Spurs be the evil team of the NBA then the most boring team. At least evil gets attention.

hater
10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
funny stuff.

I agree with #1. but

#2: all championship teams work the refs
#3: all championship teams have luck
#4: all championship teams do this
#5: he just pulled this out of his ass

so he is basically saying Spurs are hated because they do what championship teams do. Nice.

Bender
10-28-2008, 10:47 AM
man, the Spurs sound like a bunch of real dicks :lol

:whine

what a bunch of crap

freemeat
10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
GET OF MY LAWN, DAG NABBIT!!!!

By the way, the Suns could have had Scottie Pippen or Reggie Miller with that #2 pick in '87.

galvatron3000
10-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Please close this thread

carina_gino20
10-28-2008, 10:56 AM
same old, same old... :sleep

Texas_Ranger
10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow...I gues I'll have to agree with this guy!!....NOT!

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
There's that old yarn about the tank job in 96-97. I haven't heard that one in a while. I guess that when David Robinson's broken foot (an injury that nobody ever seems to doubt was genuine) finally healed with just a little bit of time left in that season and the Spurs eliminated from playoff contention, the Spurs should have just shoved him out there to keep up appearances -- risking the franchise player (and at that point, the sole hope for a title in San Antonio) to even greater harm all in the name of making everyone else feel better.

What 1996-97 demonstrated -- loudly and clearly -- was just how bad the Spurs supporting cast was (and had gotten) during the Robinson years. Take David Robinson away and that Spurs team was pretty freakin' awful.

urunobili
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
still the flop thing put on our end as if it's something only ours and making Ginobili the king of it?

Manu has been victim of hundreds of intentional fouls not called because of this negative publicity and big time obvious ones too...

fuck this writer and the Suns too...

Mark Jackson from ESPN calling a Shaq intentional elbow in Manu's face a clean block during game 1 of last year series that made JVG laugh on his face asking him if that was clean?

when the reply was shown several times and then he ended up saying that's what you gain for being such a flopper...

broadcasters and media overall should not have the liberty to say such things without being banned themselves... creating negative publicity has a toll on the fouls we absorb and many not called...

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 11:16 AM
still the flop thing put on our end as if it's something only ours and making Ginobili the king of it?

Manu has been victim of hundreds of intentional fouls not called because of this negative publicity and big time obvious ones too...

fuck this writer and the Suns too...

Mark Jackson from ESPN calling a Shaq intentional elbow in Manu's face a clean block during game 1 of last year series that made JVG laugh on his face asking him if that was clean?

when the reply was shown several times and then he ended up saying that's what you gain for being such a flopper...

broadcasters and media overall should not have the liberty to say such things without being banned themselves... creating negative publicity has a toll on the fouls we absorb and many not called...

Fixed

urunobili
10-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Fixed

Thanks mate... u know the play i am talking about? what a bunch a crap that guy said ALL the fucking game about Manu... asshole

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks mate... u know the play i am talking about? what a bunch a crap that guy said ALL the fucking game about Manu... asshole

yea that was game 1 i believe. Its odd cause Van Gundy said Shaq hammered him and Jackson disagreed saying that if Manu wouldnt flop all the time he probably wouldve gotten the call.

Kinda reminds me when Brent didnt get that foul call from Fisher at last years WCF's. I was amazed when i heard most NBA analysts say that Barry shouldve "sold" the foul???!!!

damn if you do, damn if you dont i guess

v2freak
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Same lame complaints basically. And luck? Are they kidding? 0.4, Ginobili's foul, 13 points in 35 seconds etc. I wouldn't exactly say the Spurs are blessed.

Fermixalot
10-28-2008, 11:33 AM
So basically, the Suns hate the Spurs because we have them around our fingers psychologically and have bested them phsycially?

Amare is a beast on the court, but when things don't go his way he turns into a whiny 3-year old girl. And now that Shaq is teamed with him, its only going to get worse.

Pussies.

Centaur of the Sun
10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Duncan's perimeter game has always seemed pretty solid from my point of view.

TMTTRIO
10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
The sad thing is Manu wasn't even called a flopper until he torched the Nuggets in the playoffs and all George Karl could do was whine and cry to the media about the way he played. The sad thing is ever since then that's all he's known for now even if he's not even the biggest flopper in the league like everyone makes him out to be.

Thompson
10-28-2008, 12:15 PM
:rollin at a guy with Steve Nash on his team complaining about flopping.

ehz33satx
10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Funny, not one single Suns fan has shown up to post their thoughts and opinions of this article. It was even posted by a Celtics fan.

Gino
10-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry for the poor editing job, guys.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Reasons to hate the Suns:

None.

There's no reason to hate a team that is insignificant in the championship picture. You don't see too many teams' fans hating on the Clippers either.

It's better to be hated because of your might than to be regarded as a lovable loser.

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Biggest floppers in NBA:

1. Derek Fisher
2. Anderson Varejao
3. Raja Bell
4. Dwayne Wade
5 Steve Nash

tlongII
10-28-2008, 01:29 PM
It appears Suns fans hate the Spurs almost as much as Blazer fans hate the Lakers.

:lol

nfg3
10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
The sad thing is Manu wasn't even called a flopper until he torched the Nuggets in the playoffs and all George Karl could do was whine and cry to the media about the way he played. The sad thing is ever since then that's all he's known for now even if he's not even the biggest flopper in the league like everyone makes him out to be.

I second. He was nothing like Vlade IMO.

And since the crackdown on flopping began Manu has toned it down considerably. Pop has stated this on several occasions. But the misconception that Manu flops all the time I think has prejudiced a large portion of the calls against him.

galvatron3000
10-28-2008, 04:43 PM

I've been stating this across the internet for years now. George Karl started it and the whole world ran with it. Manu cut his hair the following season because of it, at least I guess that's why. I loved that Manu but he's just a beast and the league guards know it.

Xylus
10-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't hate the Spurs, I just hate playing them in the playoffs.

Sissiborgo
10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
You can't hate them they are lovely....

Anti.Hero
10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
LOL at this.

The Spurs killed the entire Nash PHX Suns era. Period.

ShoogarBear
10-28-2008, 07:20 PM
SIX reasons to hate the Spurs:

One

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/basketball/nba/specials/playoffs/2005/05/24/bc.bkn.spurs.suns.ap/tx_manu_dunk_ap.jpg

Two

http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/horry-decks-nash.jpg

Three

http://adsoftheworld.com/files/images/shaq_brick.jpg

Four

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/04/19/duncan-topper.jpg

Five

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/05/07/sports/07nash.190.1.jpg

Six

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2007-06/15/xin_3506041513168702520568.jpg

vander
10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
that was heartwarming

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
The total ownage of the Suns just never gets old, and never gets less satisfying. Can't wait for Hack A Shaq. :tu

tonski17
10-28-2008, 10:09 PM
yeah, we all know that.. thats why we love the spurs..
because they are winners..hehe and they know how to win..

cornbread
10-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Poor Suns fan. Just move on.

zepn
10-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Wow. This is what passes for actual newspaper journalism in Arizona? This is not some junior-highster blogging from his bedroom?

sa_kid20
10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
And to top it all off we get the chance to beat then on Christmas in front of all their fans which is about the only thing we haven't done to that franchise :lol