PDA

View Full Version : Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Rather Than Read McCain Script

LakeShow
10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Dozens Of Call Center Workers Walk Off Job In Protest Rather Than Read McCain Script Attacking Obama

By Greg Sargent (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/blogs/sargent) - October 27, 2008, 5:18PM
Some three dozen workers at a telemarketing call center in Indiana walked off the job rather than read an incendiary McCain campaign script attacking Barack Obama, according to two workers at the center and one of their parents.

Nina Williams, a stay-at-home mom in Lake County, Indiana, tells us that her daughter recently called her from her job at the center, upset that she had been asked to read a script attacking Obama for being "dangerously weak on crime," "coddling criminals," and for voting against "protecting children from danger."

Williams' daughter told her that up to 40 of her co-workers had refused to read the script, and had left the call center after supervisors told them that they would have to either read the call or leave, Williams says. The call center is called Americall, and it's located in Hobart, IN.

"They walked out," Williams says of her daughter and her co-workers, adding that they weren't fired but willingly sacrificed pay rather than read the lines. "They were told [by supervisors], `If you all leave, you're not gonna get paid for the rest of the day."

The daughter, who wanted her name withheld fearing retribution from her employer, confirmed the story to us. "It was like at least 40 people," the daughter said. "People thought the script was nasty and they didn't wanna read it."

A second worker at the call center confirmed the episode, saying that "at least 30" workers had walked out after refusing to read the script.
"We were asked to read something saying [Obama and Democrats] were against protecting children from danger," this worker said. "I wouldn't do it. A lot of people left. They thought it was disgusting."

This worker, too, confirmed sacrificing pay to walk out, saying her supervisor told her: "If you don't wanna phone it you can just go home for the day."

The script coincided with this robo-slime call (http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/another_new_mccain_robo-slime.php) running in other states, but because robocalling is illegal in Indiana it was being read by call center workers.

Representatives at Americall in Indiana, and at the company's corporate headquarters in Naperville, Illinois, didn't return calls for comment.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/dozens_of_call_center_workers.php

hater
10-28-2008, 01:46 PM
dayum. Mcain stooping to new levels

ChumpDumper
10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108042

Centaur of the Sun
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
They should have hired "Real Americans".

George Gervin's Afro
10-28-2008, 01:56 PM

They just need to go those pro american areas!

Centaur of the Sun
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Wait, wait, wait... isn't Indiana supposed to be one of those "Pro American" places?

The "Real American's" aren't even "Real American's"... :pctoss

Bender
10-28-2008, 02:04 PM
"McCain wants us to say obama is soft on crime..."

boo fucking hoo...

they should all be fired and not allowed to come back.

Bartleby
10-28-2008, 02:05 PM
They should have outsourced the job to India.

I Love Me Some Me
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
"McCain wants us to say obama is soft on crime..."

boo fucking hoo...

they should all be fired and not allowed to come back.

+1

The fact that they even want to come back is hypocritical.

nkdlunch
10-28-2008, 02:09 PM

:lol

MannyIsGod
10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

:lmao

Wild Cobra
10-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Like it or not, those people are paid to do a job. If they don't want to do their precribes legal work, then they should be fired. Afterall, they are willing to invade people homes by unwelcome solicitation calls, then act as if they are takling the high ground? It's a slimball job, and if they are willing to do such work, they don't deserve to pick what they say.

Shastafarian
10-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Like it or not, those people are paid to do a job. If they don't want to do their precribes legal work, then they should be fired. Afterall, they are willing to invade people homes by unwelcome solicitation calls, then act as if they are takling the high ground? It's a slimball job, and if they are willing to do such work, they don't deserve to pick what they say.

Like clockwork.

ChumpDumper
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Like it or not, those people are paid to do a job. If they don't want to do their precribes legal work, then they should be fired. Afterall, they are willing to invade people homes by unwelcome solicitation calls, then act as if they are takling the high ground? It's a slimball job, and if they are willing to do such work, they don't deserve to pick what they say.The McCain campaign feels the same way about Palin.

cool hand
10-28-2008, 05:03 PM
desperate

Mel
10-28-2008, 06:08 PM

Yeah, instead they hired a bunch of lazy assed Democrats who look for any excuse not to work. Can't get any good help these days.

boutons_
10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
boss can fire at any time for any reason

worker can quit at any time for any reason

So why is WC faulting the worker? Because he's a fascist.

xrayzebra
10-28-2008, 08:30 PM
boss can fire at any time for any reason

worker can quit at any time for any reason

So why is WC faulting the worker? Because he's a fascist.

They didn't quit, just protested is the way I read it.

Hell they should be fired, but more than likely too many big words in
the script and they didn't know how to pronounce them.

timvp
10-28-2008, 08:35 PM
"If you all leave, you're not gonna get paid for the rest of the day."So the workers took a half day off. How is this a story? If you think all 30 or 40 left work due to the "protest", you've never worked a menial job before.

Hook Dem
10-29-2008, 10:21 AM
So the workers took a half day off. How is this a story? If you think all 30 or 40 left work due to the "protest", you've never worked a menial job before.

timvp gets it!

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
VTO baby.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
The McCain campaign feels the same way about Palin.

and the Obama folks carry the same sentiment for Biden - now that he has reduced that tax break down to $150K.

ElNono
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
and the Obama folks carry the same sentiment for Biden - now that he has reduced that tax break down to $150K.

Biden knows what he's talking about 90% of the time... Palin on the other hand...

implacable44
10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Biden knows what he's talking about 90% of the time... Palin on the other hand...

90% of the time ? is that based on your Einstein-like opinion ? Is there a zogby or Rass. poll ?

ElNono
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
90% of the time ? is that based on your Einstein-like opinion ? Is there a zogby or Rass. poll ?

This is actually from me watching the VP debate... You know, public appearances by the candidates so you get to know them and what they think?

implacable44
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
so was the $150K comment part of the 90 or part of the 10%?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
and the Obama folks carry the same sentiment for Biden - now that he has reduced that tax break down to $150K.Nah, they knew what they were getting with Biden.

Palin was worse than anyone could have possibly imagined. Should have vetted her properly. McCain fucked up badly.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
90% of the time ? is that based on your Einstein-like opinion ? Is there a zogby or Rass. poll ?It's your opinion that Obama's campaign sees him like McCain's does Palin, and you're dead fucking wrong.

Again.

Sigmund
10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Nah, they knew what they were getting with Biden.

Palin was worse than anyone could have possibly imagined. Should have vetted her properly. McCain fucked up badly.

Hmmm.

What do you associate Mr. McCain fucking up with?

What do you imagine about Mrs. Palin?

ElNono
10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
so was the $150K comment part of the 90 or part of the 10%?

It was a slipup. Just like when McCain said he agreed with Murtha.

You can go to http://www.barackobama.com if you have any questions about his tax plan.

The difference between Biden and Palin, is that Biden mostly knows what he's talking about and is 100% behind the Presidential candidate. Unlike Palin, who talks out of her ass (raiding Pakistan, McCain having to come out and retract her words, McCain having to sit down next to her on every interview, etc), and she openly criticizes McCain decisions (like criticizing pulling out of Michigan).

implacable44
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
It's your opinion that Obama's campaign sees him like McCain's does Palin, and you're dead fucking wrong.

Again.

so sayeth the dungdrinker.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
It was a slipup. Just like when McCain said he agreed with Murtha.

You can go to http://www.barackobama.com if you have any questions about his tax plan.

The difference between Biden and Palin, is that Biden mostly knows what he's talking about and is 100% behind the Presidential candidate. Unlike Palin, who talks out of her ass (raiding Pakistan, McCain having to come out and retract her words, McCain having to sit down next to her on every interview, etc), and she openly criticizes McCain decisions (like criticizing pulling out of Michigan).

he is 100% behind him ? Not according to things he said about him in the past. He might be 100% behind becoming VP -- but his words from the past say he is not 100% behind Obama. Obama has had to come out and retract several Biden comments. I don't care if she criticizes McCain - I don't want a "yes person" as a VP.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 11:16 AM
so sayeth the dungdrinker.And I'm right. It just burns you up inside that Palin is a compete embarrassment and Biden is not.

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 11:17 AM
he is 100% behind him ? Not according to things he said about him in the past. He might be 100% behind becoming VP -- but his words from the past say he is not 100% behind Obama. Obama has had to come out and retract several Biden comments. I don't care if she criticizes McCain - I don't want a "yes person" as a VP.So you are fine with Biden then.

ElNono
10-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Obama has had to come out and retract several Biden comments.

Link?

implacable44
10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
And I'm right. It just burns you up inside that Palin is a compete embarrassment and Biden is not.

I don't think she is an embarrassment. Like I said give me a ticket with any two of these three in 2012 and I will be fine - Mitt / Palin / Jindal

implacable44
10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Link?

Are you denying that Obama came out and retracted with the Joe being Joe when he said that there will be a major test for Obama within 6 months and he could think of 3 or 4 different scenarios ? he didnt come out to retract that ? and I am sure shortly Obama will come out and have to retract the $150K comment

ElNono
10-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Are you denying that Obama came out and retracted with the Joe being Joe when he said that there will be a major test for Obama within 6 months and he could think of 3 or 4 different scenarios ?

Yes.

he didnt come out to retract that?

No.
Link?

and I am sure shortly Obama will come out and have to retract the $150K comment

It was a slipup. Did you see McCain coming out and retracting himself when he accidentally agreed with Murtha? It's an obvious mistake.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Yes.

No.
Link?

It was a slipup. Did you see McCain coming out and retracting himself when he accidentally agreed with Murtha? It's an obvious mistake.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/22/obama-clarifies-bidens-prediction-face-generated-crisis/

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/22/obama-clarifies-bidens-prediction-face-generated-crisis/Not a retraction.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
of course not in your mind - rebutted was the word of choice - not retraction. he surely took it back and changed it. and I anticipate him doing the same with the $150K comment.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1854640,00.html

Does this reflect how Obama thinks about Biden ?

ElNono
10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
of course not in your mind - rebutted was the word of choice - not retraction. he surely took it back and changed it. and I anticipate him doing the same with the $150K comment.

Did you read what you linked?

...rebutting criticism of Joe Biden's statement...

He was rebutting the criticism, not Biden. He actually backed Biden up:

Whoever is the next president is going to have to deal with a whole host of challenges internationally and ... a period of transition in a new administration is always one in which we have to be vigilant," Obama said in Richmond, Va

LOL you're lame.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Did you read what you linked?

...rebutting criticism of Joe Biden's statement...

He was rebutting the criticism, not Biden. He actually backed Biden up:

Whoever is the next president is going to have to deal with a whole host of challenges internationally and ... a period of transition in a new administration is always one in which we have to be vigilant," Obama said in Richmond, Va

LOL you're lame.

he didn't rebutt the criticism and he completelly changed Biden's comments. COMPLETELY. Biden only commented about Obama being challenged. Have mommy read it to you.

ElNono
10-29-2008, 12:39 PM
he didn't rebutt the criticism and he completelly changed Biden's comments. COMPLETELY. Biden only commented about Obama being challenged. Have mommy read it to you.

Are you arguing with the article you linked? Or you just can't read?

I already posted the relevant parts that completely deny your innuendo. Why don't you post the parts where Obama retracts Joe's comments? Or where Obama denies that he's going to be challenged?

ElNono
10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
This is what retracting looks like, BTW:

"She would not…she understands and has stated repeatedly that we're not going to do anything except in America's national security interest. This is a free country, but I don't think most Americans think that that's a definitve policy statement made by Governor Palin."

implacable44
10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Are you arguing with the article you linked? Or you just can't read?

I already posted the relevant parts that completely deny your innuendo. Why don't you post the parts where Obama retracts Joe's comments? Or where Obama denies that he's going to be challenged?

read the whole thing and he did retract -- he took Biden's comments and changed them -- clarified them -- and here is another link :

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...854640,00.html

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Not a retraction.

ElNono
10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
read the whole thing and he did retract -- he took Biden's comments and changed them -- clarified them -- and here is another link

So he actually backed Biden's comments and made them more clear. Is that what you call retract?
This is retracting:
What he did is, on his bus with reporters, John McCain said that if he doesn't convince voters that the U.S. policy in Iraq is succeeding, he said, quote, 'Then I lose. I lose.' But then immediately, he said he wanted to retract that 'I'll lose' prediction."

http://www.time.com/time/politics/ar...854640,00.html

I read that article. It's actually praising Biden for his self-control throughout the campaign, as opposed to Palin 'going rogue'. The only Obama quote about Biden I find in the entire article is: A bemused Obama responded, "I think that Joe sometimes engages in rhetorical flourishes."
Which is hardly a retraction of anything Biden said.

George Gervin's Afro
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
implacable44

Yonivore is that you?

cool hand
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Mccain could not argree more that western pennsylvannia is racist.