PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker On Hacking Shaq

duncan228
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
McDonald: Parker on hacking Shaq (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_p_19.html)

Spurs point guard Tony Parker has a pointed message for Phoenix's Shaquille O'Neal: If you don't like being purposefully sent to the free-throw line, start making free throws.

By now, everybody with a cable box knows O'Neal's feelings about the Hack-a-Shaq strategy the Spurs employed in last year's playoffs (The Big Cactus calls it "cowardly.") Just don't expect Shaq to shame the Spurs out of it.

"Shaq likes to talk," Parker said after Tuesday's practice, on the eve of the Spurs' season-opener against the Suns. "But as long as he doesn't make free throws, we're still going to do it."

O'Neal is a career 52.4 percent foul shooter, so there's little danger of him becoming Steve Kerr overnight. But perhaps Wednesday will be the day.

"Maybe tomorrow he's going to make his free throws," Parker said. "We'll adapt. If he makes his free throws, we're not going to foul him."

The ball is in O'Neal's hands. At the foul line.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
The ball is in O'Neal's hands. At the foul line.

Wow, it's like Buck Harvey's retarded cousin.

koriwhat
10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
fuck o'neal!

SenorSpur
10-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Very simple solution to a chronic problem.

Shaq has always had a way of shifting blame for his issues onto somebody else. This guy will never grow the fuck up.

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
The funny thing is Parker isnt trying to insult Shaq or "diss" him but rather just stating the truth: "Dude, you suck"

hater
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
it'd be funny to see hackashaq tomorrow night. Im betting Pop is saving that for playoffs.

Gino
10-28-2008, 04:14 PM
it'd be funny to see hackashaq tomorrow night. Im betting Pop is saving that for playoffs.

I doubt he will do it tomorrow.

GSH
10-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm sure Shaq thinks the 3-point shot is cowardly, too. After all, why should players who can actually shoot be rewarded more than players who can sumo wrestle? That's what the game is all about - wrestling. Right?

There's another basic basketball skill that Shaq doesn't have - the ability to run up and down the court. Maybe the NBA should consider a new rule making the fast-break illegal, too. That way any team with Shaq would not be at such a disadvantage.

The penalty for hacking Shaq is already severe enough. He gets to shoot easy, straight-away shots with no one guarding him. If his lack of skills makes that a disadvantage, he should have played football. Okay, he plays football. But he should have played it in the NFL.

Dex
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd be surprised to see Pop play the Hack-a-Shaq card in a regular season game, especially one with as little implications as the first game of the season. Cheap or not, it's an ace best saved for must win situations. Let Shaq figure it out then, not now.

For the record, I still don't see what the controversy is. For 90% of the league, sending them to the free throw line is practically giving them points. How is doing the same thing to Shaq supposed to be unfair? Just because he's absolutely horrid at it?

Makes a whole lotta sense to me.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd be interested in Shaq's views on the no-charge zone, which is largely responsible for the rings on his fingers.

Fermixalot
10-28-2008, 06:02 PM
i'd love to see Pop pull out HackaShaq tomorrow night. Just to piss Shaq off. Especially if we go up. Call a timeout right when the lead hits 10, put Bonner in and then let him foul out on the next six possessions.
:flag:

mrspurs
10-28-2008, 06:18 PM
I dont know, it is quite funny when Shaqs best runs are when he is running away, from the guy who pop sends in to foul him. Bout the only time you see Shaq really hustle hahaha....

TDMVPDPOY
10-28-2008, 06:27 PM
didnt they change the rules over the summer about haveasnaq rule?

Dex
10-28-2008, 06:49 PM
didnt they change the rules over the summer about haveasnaq rule?

Nope.

They looked at it and decided Shaq was being a big pussy.

angelbelow
10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
lets just foul him everytime he touches the ball. starting tomorrow.

temujin
10-28-2008, 07:17 PM
When was last time Mr O'Neal said something intelligent?
Why should anyone be interested in what he says?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I'd be interested in Shaq's views on the no-charge zone, which is largely responsible for the rings on his fingers.

manufor3
10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I'd be surprised to see Pop play the Hack-a-Shaq card in a regular season game, especially one with as little implications as the first game of the season. Cheap or not, it's an ace best saved for must win situations. Let Shaq figure it out then, not now.

For the record, I still don't see what the controversy is. For 90% of the league, sending them to the free throw line is practically giving them points. How is doing the same thing to Shaq supposed to be unfair? Just because he's absolutely horrid at it?

Makes a whole lotta sense to me.

Avitus1
10-28-2008, 07:56 PM
He has a lot of time to practice his shot. If he cant get it right now to bad.

tmtcsc
10-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Wow, it's like Buck Harvey's retarded cousin.

LOL !! Good one. All Buck's missing from the end of his articles is the trailing periods.........to imply we should meditate on his last sentence. Nard.

tmtcsc
10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
When was last time Mr O'Neal said something intelligent?

"Baby, we should work things out. I don't want a divor$e."

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 08:31 PM
LOL !! Good one. All Buck's missing from the end of his articles is the trailing periods.........to imply we should meditate on his last sentence. Nard.

I like when Buck does it. McDonald, not so much. It's not really clever if you can't fight the urge to explain it. :lol

As for hack a Shaq, I love it. It's the ultimate insult to Shaq, the Suns, and their fans. It uglies up their beautiful game and puts them at a disadvantage at the same time. I hope they hate every second of it. I hope it makes them sick. It's a nice little "fuck you" to the NBA and everyone who ever said the Spurs were boring, too. I don't always agree with Pop, but I fucking love the intentional foul.

The Truth #6
10-28-2008, 09:48 PM
It may not be as useful now the D'Antoni is gone. H.A.S. worked well in slowing down their pace and making players like Amare bored and disinterested. If Porter plays a slower pace it might not be as successful. However, if it pisses Shaq off there is that to consider.

easjer
10-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Hack-a-Shaq should be less effective in a traditional half-court offense and is unlikely to be necessary tomorrow night.

Regardless, Shaq should suck it up. I get that there have been many rule changes to accomodate him, but that truly is one that makes zero sense. You will never get rid of the intentional foul (and really, with Shaq's girth and lack of speed, how many of those fouls are really avoidable now?), and so it should be used to advantage. It's utilizing the weakness of the opponent - just like when you drive because the interior defense is weak or pass and shoot three's because they can't rotate on the defense quickly.

It useless and only makes one look stupid to argue that you shouldn't intentionally strike your opponent where he is weakest because they are weak there and it's unfair.

Spork KIller
10-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Die Spurts die!!!!

lefty
10-28-2008, 11:58 PM
We hack Shaq.

Shaq hacks snacks

freemeat
10-29-2008, 08:16 PM
It's baaaaack!