PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com: Who choose the Spurs to win it all?

biba
10-28-2008, 05:18 PM
2008-09 prediction:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2008/news/story?page=NBAChamps-081028

T-3. San Antonio Spurs: 2 votes

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Of all those perennial 50-win teams in the West, only one has proven it can win it all. Yet everyone is writing that team off. I think they have another title run left in them.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: The Spurs were the best team last season but lost because of Manu Ginobili's injury. I like their bench more now than a year ago to serve as catalysts for another title.

angelbelow
10-28-2008, 05:23 PM
nice.

Whisky Dog
10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
I think the frontline depth is weak and the injury concern is real, but if the Spurs can overcome that they definitely have a shot at another title.

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Front line is kinda fragile in comparison to all the bigs in the west.

Spurs would need to sign another solid big shot blocker to REALLY be contenders for the championship.

FromWayDowntown
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I think Stein's observation is a fascinating subplot to the coming season. For all the talk of other contenders in the West, the Spurs remain the only West team to have taken the whole enchilada and have been that since 2003. It's probably an overblown observation in some senses, too, but there is usually something to be said for having been there and done that.

I also tend to agree with Thorpe that the Spurs have thinned the herd a bit over the summer and added some useful youth -- youth that should get some minutes in the regular season to keep older, more important legs fresh, and then be ready to make a contribution at playoff time. If nothing else, having Udoka back for another year and having Thomas after a full camp and for a full season is probably an improvement over where the Spurs stood at this point last year -- and that team won 56 games and, barring injury, might have gone back to the Finals again.

Spurs would need to sign another solid big shot blocker to REALLY be contenders for the championship.

I suppose you're still hoping they'll get a guy who blocks 1 shot per game (and has blocked 1 shot per game for about 3-4 years now)? I'm not sure how many solid big shot blockers would be available other than Mutombo. And, as discussed elsewhere, I'm not sure Mutombo would make a "fragile" front line more stout.

galvatron3000
10-28-2008, 05:58 PM
frontline help for Tim
bench scoring
discipline

Spurs' needs

Manufan909
10-28-2008, 05:59 PM
David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: The Spurs were the best team last season but lost because of Manu Ginobili's injury. I like their bench more now than a year ago to serve as catalysts for another title.

Indeed, I haven't heard this at all before now, but that is truly how I feel. If Mason, Ime, Ian, Farmer and Hill can get the most minutes after the Big 3, this will be a much younger and more athletic team come playoff time than last year. By March, I want JV, Finley, and Tolliver/Bonner getting spot minutes and racking up DNP's.

mrspurs
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM

Fragile was last season. This season fragile would be an upgrade considering all of the NBA's bigs. I dont see how the Spurs FO thinks with Timmy by himself again we're gonna go all the way.

Mr. Body
10-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't see it. The bench is extremely weak. There's no telling when Manu will be back and how good he'll be. There are question marks all over the place and it's doubtful Hill and Mahinmi can be any good this year.

Obstructed_View
10-28-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm just glad Skip Bayless abandoned ship for the Hornets this year.

dbreiden83080
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm just glad Skip Bayless abandoned ship for the Hornets this year.

LOL, did he really? Aww he usually prides himself at being the only Spurs fan in the media and now he is off the wagon..

Amuseddaysleeper
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
I don't see it. The bench is extremely weak. There's no telling when Manu will be back and how good he'll be. There are question marks all over the place and it's doubtful Hill and Mahinmi can be any good this year.

pretty much

Russ
10-28-2008, 10:00 PM
LOL, did he really? Aww he usually prides himself at being the only Spurs fan in the media and now he is off the wagon..

Skip did the deed on this morning's "First Take" on ESPN. It seems Skip has given up on his former hero, Manu.

Look for this Okie from Muskogee to return to the fold. :flag:

dbreiden83080
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Skip did the deed on this morning's "First Take" on ESPN. It seems Skip has given up on his former hero, Manu.

Look for this Okie from Muskogee to return to the fold. :flag:

If the Spurs are in the midst of a huge 2nd half run this year, watch him re-join the wagon.

Udokafan05
10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Marc Stein, Rick Bucher, and David Aldridge are best NBA insiders

xtremesteven33
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
I love how hardly no one is picking the Spurs to win it all this year. Spurs are the ultimate sleeper team every year.....is that an oxymoron?

can you be a sleeper dynasty?

honestfool84
10-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Jackie MacMullan, ESPN.com: GM Mitch Kupchak will make another midseason deal to put them over the top.

now why did that make me laugh?

Buddy Holly
10-29-2008, 12:37 AM

BS!

Hill has proven he will be good. Ian, well, that's another sorry and it'll be interesting to see how well he does.

However, make no mistake, George, imo, is the best backup point we've had since Claxton in the finals.

twincam
10-29-2008, 03:30 AM
You know something guys? Year in and year out, i watch and listen to the "so-called" experts on all major television networks giving their .02 cents on which team will win a game because of stats, etc. I'm referring to all major sports (basketball/baseball/football).

If you watch these "experts" on the networks, they'll give you a run down on the numbers as to why they pick a certain team...but in the end, their overall percentage of accuracy is in the 50 percentile mark. Basically, a monkey can get better odds on picking a winning team for that week/game. I'd say, to hell with the "experts", and just go with your gut feeling.

Just ask the monkey sitting next to you.

:flag:

Fingaroll44
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM

To say our bench is weak is inaccurate. We signed a proven veteran (he will be a very pleasant surprise to most) who fits our style perfectly. Our 1st round pick was a SCORER in college and has NBA caliber defense already, not to mention he was coveted by other teams such as the Lakers. You cant just leave Finley alone no matter how much people think he's done. Oberto or KT arent going to make mistakes all over the place costing us games. Ime can hold his own. Farmer can flat out score the ball and he's not a rookie mentally. Tolliver can stretch the defense. Manu will be ok because Pop will err on the side of caution. Sooooo...Ian is the ONLY question mark in MY mind because we already know Bonner brings little if any at all. Even if they start out slow and look horrible, I know better than to panic so soon.

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM

x2

I don't understand why people think Ian and Hill can be instant contributers when they haven't proven anything in this league (especially Ian). Mason may be a little better than Barry but we are still bringing back Vaugh and Finley, 2 guys that were liabilities when the big 3 needed help the most. Also, no telling if Ginoboli will make it back to full speed...I really think we will be lucky to finish in the top 8 of the conference, much less win it all.