PDA

View Full Version : Director Unsure About a Third Batman Movie

tp2021
10-28-2008, 05:45 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/christophernolan_blog.html

Director Unsure About a Third Batman Movie
by Jonathan Crow | October 28, 2008

Is Christopher Nolan going to direct the next Batman movie? Since his record-breaking blockbuster "The Dark Knight" opened this summer, there has been rampant speculation over the next film in the franchise. Internet gossip has spread like wildfire over who might star in the third, with possibilities including Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and even Cher. To put these rumors to rest, the notoriously tight-lipped director opened up in rare interview with the Los Angeles Times, where he hinted that he might not return for a third film.

"Well... let me think how to put this. There are two things to be said. One is the emphasis on story. What's the story? Is there a story that's going to keep me emotionally invested for the couple of years that it will take to make another one? That's the overriding question. On a more superficial level, I have to ask the question: How many good third movies in a franchise can people name? [Laughs.] At the same time, in taking on the second one, we had the challenge of trying to make a great second movie, and there haven't been too many of those either. It's all about the story really. If the story is there, everything is possible."

Earlier this month, David S. Goyer, the co-writer of both of Nolan's Batman films, said that all the rumors that have been floating around regarding a third film are untrue. "Chris and I haven't even talked about it," Goyer told MTV, adding, "We have mused here and there... [but] there really isn't anything to tell." And Nolan himself seems to confirm that he has not thought much about a possible third film.

"Really and in truth, I only deal with one film at a time. I find myself sort of protesting this issue a lot. We've never attempted to save anything for a sequel or set up anything for a sequel."

When asked about what he might do next -- either another giant-sized blockbuster or something on a smaller scale -- Nolan seemed to have mixed feelings.

"After "Batman Begins," I certainly felt like taking on something smaller, but one of the things I got such a thrill from on "The Dark Knight" was shooting on IMAX and creating that massive scale and achieving that larger-than-life quality. So that's a lot of fun. I'm drawn in both directions now. So maybe what I need to do next is a very intimate, small story that happens to be photographed on a ridiculously large scale. Or vice versa."

"The Dark Knight" will be released on DVD and Blu-ray on December 8th. Warner Bros. Pictures has also indicated they might re-release the film into IMAX theaters in January to capitalize on it's Oscar potential. To date, the film has earned $527.8 million in the U.S. and almost $1 billion worldwide.

Trainwreck2100
10-28-2008, 05:53 PM
read: The guy who made the second movie offed himself of sleepy pills.

The Reckoning
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
if he does make a third movie, he has to bring in a badass villian like clayface or crock...and Ra's al Ghul needs to come back to life through the lazarus pit

Heath Ledger
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Why so serious?

PM5K
10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
If anyone can make a bad ass third film of a franchise, it's these guys...

Have some fucking balls and do this shit..

jack sommerset
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
noway the next batman will be better than the most recent, no freaken way. but still make it.

JMarkJohns
10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
read: The guy who made the second movie offed himself of sleepy pills.

Truth.

He can talk of story all he wants. Granted, a great will be necessary to even rival the success of The Dark Knight, but the more overwhelming truth is that they'll need a character that completely redefines an aspect of the film as we now know it.

Batman Begins: Bale recreates Batman and Nolan recreates setting and style of the series through the toned-down antics, but psychologically "touched" villains and the great supporting cast. SUCCESS

The Dark Knight: Ledger recreates Joker and Nolan further embraces all aspects that made Batman Begins a success, only intensifying the villainous aspects to the point maddening delirium. SUCCESS

It's getting harder and harder to find aspects to recreate, and it'll be nearly impossible to include a character as memorable as Joker. No matter how good the story, if there aren't aspects of originality applied to themes, characters, settings we've already seen before, or if the originality doesn't yeild the memorable/entertaining characters/scenes, then it will likely be deemed a failure.

I want a third movie as much as anyone. But I understand why they wouldn't do it. Not just things, but this time EVERYTHING would need to be perfect to even approach the bar set by the build up (BB) and the climax (TDK) of the series thus far.

ShoogarBear
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe they can cast Isiah Thomas in the next one.

balli
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Nolan can't shoot an action scene to save his life. The studio's budget and the subject itself made those movies a success (if you consider them so) more than Chris Nolan did. Any director worth his salt probably could have achieved the same films, only without totally butchering the action sequences.

David Edelstein said it best:

The psychological twists are dubious and the plotting herky-jerky, with leaps in logic. The Dark Knight plays as if it were written by Oxford philosophy majors trying to tone up American pop. Maybe that wouldn't matter if the action weren't spectacularly incoherent.

So yeah, I haven't been impressed thus far and I hope for the future sake of the franchise that Nolan is out.

monosylab1k
10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandbagging

I'm guessing when the studio throws Peter Jackson x2 money at him, he'll get to work on the third Batman.

BlackSwordsMan
10-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Star wars made a good third film.

anakha
10-29-2008, 01:11 AM

Which trilogy?

Strike
10-29-2008, 07:32 AM

I disagree

Revenge Of The Sith felt compacted and rushed to me. The campy droid comic relief annoyed me, the epic space battle fans were promised completely failed to deliver, the chemistry between Christiansen and Portman (who phoned in her performane in my opinion) was atrocious, the "Great Jedi Purge" was completely glossed over, The duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader was too long and drawn out, the dialogue had its moments but was overall lacking, Padme's "death of a broken heart" was laughable at best, the continuity between the prequels and the originals was screwed up in some aspects, and Hayden Christiansen did even more of a piss-poor job than in Attack Of The Clones. The only bright spot to Sith (and the entire prequel trilogy, for that matter) was Ewan McGregor. He owned and became Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I take the movie for what it is: a complete and total of the collective of Star Wars fans worldwide. The only reason I rank it 4th best in the series of 6 is because Clones and The Phantom Menace were even worse.

Back to Nolan and Batman:

As much as I want to see a 3rd Chris Nolan directed Batman film, I don't want it to suffer because his heart's not really in it. If someone else feels passionate enough to bring Christian Bale back for another one then by all means hand it off to another director. Just as long as it isn't Peter Jackson, Joel Schumacher, Rob Cohen, or Brett Ratner. They all suck in my opnion and need to be rounded up, put in to a rocket, and shot in to the sun so that they stop shitting up movie screens with their vomit inducing "films".

BlackSwordsMan
10-29-2008, 07:40 AM
I disagree

Revenge Of The Sith felt compacted and rushed to me. The campy droid comic relief annoyed me, the epic space battle fans were promised completely failed to deliver, the chemistry between Christiansen and Portman (who phoned in her performane in my opinion) was atrocious, the "Great Jedi Purge" was completely glossed over, The duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader was too long and drawn out, the dialogue had its moments but was overall lacking, Padme's "death of a broken heart" was laughable at best, the continuity between the prequels and the originals was screwed up in some aspects, and Hayden Christiansen did even more of a piss-poor job than in Attack Of The Clones. The only bright spot to Sith (and the entire prequel trilogy, for that matter) was Ewan McGregor. He owned and became Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I take the movie for what it is: a complete and total of the collective of Star Wars fans worldwide. The only reason I rank it 4th best in the series of 6 is because Clones and The Phantom Menace were even worse.

Back to Nolan and Batman:

As much as I want to see a 3rd Chris Nolan directed Batman film, I don't want it to suffer because his heart's not really in it. If someone else feels passionate enough to bring Christian Bale back for another one then by all means hand it off to another director. Just as long as it isn't Peter Jackson, Joel Schumacher, Rob Cohen, or Brett Ratner. They all suck in my opnion and need to be rounded up, put in to a rocket, and shot in to the sun so that they stop shitting up movie screens with their vomit inducing "films".
I meant the original trilogy. Star wars on the new trilogy was absolute garbage and should have never been made. Only good thing about the new star wars was darth maul who I liked more than vader

Strike
10-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I meant the original trilogy. Star wars on the new trilogy was absolute garbage and should have never been made. Only good thing about the new star wars was darth maul who I liked more than vader

Oh now you tell me after I typed up a long, thought out diatribe about Revenge Of The Sith.

I agree. Return Of The Jedi was a great movie. The Empire Strikes Back was better.

The Reckoning
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Halloween 3 is badass because it had nothing to do with the first two

Thunder Dan
10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I just hope that if they make one it's just as good as Batman and Robin

Thunder Dan
10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Also, what the hell is he talking about the 3rd movie in franchises suck? He must not be familiar with the Home Alone franchise

MoSpur
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Rush Hour 3 was pretty good.

Thunder Dan
10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Godfather 3
Anal Bandits 3
Meat Pushin in the Seat Cushion 3
My Dirty Angels 3
Ass Up, Face Down 3
Star Whores 3
10 Man C*m Slam 3
Two in the Seat 3
Toy Story 3

are all considered the best in their respective franchises

tp2021
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Toy Story 3 isn't out yet.

Thunder Dan
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM

maybe I have it confused with 2

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sandbagging

I'm guessing when the studio throws Peter Jackson x2 money at him, he'll get to work on the third Batman.
Exactly. I think the biggest hold up is in him weighing the pros and cons of a receiving the payment through several dump trucks or by way of a giant vault he can swim in a la Scrooge McDuck.

From the looks of that list, he might be talking about a different kind of toy completely.

tp2021
10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Exactly. I think the biggest hold up is in him weighing the pros and cons of a receiving the payment through several dump trucks or by way of a giant vault he can swim in a la Scrooge McDuck.

From the looks of that list, he might be talking about a different kind of toy completely.

I figured as much. I just had never heard of it. :lmao

Mister Sinister
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Ledger didn't recreate the fucking Joker.

leemajors
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
it's gonna get made anyway, they won't be able to resist the box office draw - it will make money no matter how bad it is. And the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the best third movie in a trilogy ever and cannot be topped.

leemajors
10-29-2008, 04:20 PM

the general public wasn't birthed with graphic novels on the lining of their colon.

The Reckoning
10-29-2008, 05:18 PM

maybe the Joker recreated Ledger

Mister Sinister
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
the general public wasn't birthed with graphic novels on the lining of their colon.
I'm not even talking about things like Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum: SHOSE, Long Halloween, or Death In The Family. I'm talking about the comparisons between Ledger's and Nicholson's portrayals, which shouldn't happen, and I say this because they're both accurate portrayals of the same character.