PDA

View Full Version : Previews: Suns At Spurs

duncan228
10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Suns' 'old geezers’ ready to start new season (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/129148)
Jerry Brown, Tribune

Not that the Suns and Spurs are ever happy to see each other on the basketball court, but both teams should be overjoyed that the NBA regular season is finally starting tonight in San Antonio.

That means the incessant preseason projections are over. Both teams can finally play basketball instead of listening to droning commentary about things like advancing age and closing windows of opportunity.

Even a game against a distasteful opponent trumps hearing how the rest of the West’s young guns are poised to pistol-whip them into submission as their empty bandwagons careen downhill.

Of course, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and company have plenty of memories with which to soothe their bruised egos. To paraphrase hockey legend Patrick Roy, it’s hard to hear anything negative when you have championship rings plugging your ears. The Suns have some snazzy highlight reels and two MVP trophies for Steve Nash, but the jewelry belonging to Shaquille O’Neal was obtained elsewhere.

It will be months and months before we find out if these two teams are, in fact, yesterday’s news. But O’Neal warns the Lakers and the Hornets and the Rockets and the rest of the darlings of the pundits that on the road to an NBA title, it’s usually age before beauty.

“When it comes down to getting the job done, I haven’t seen anyone youthful win it,” O’Neal said. “In the last 10 years, Tim’s (won a title) four times, I’ve won four times (three with the Lakers, one with the Miami Heat) and Mr. (Kevin) Garnett’s been there once.

“Youthful is more exciting to watch. But I never started winning titles until I started losing my (jumping) lift. When I was doing all that spectacular (stuff), I was going home early, too. Everyone wants to talk about youth because it’s new and fun. But in the end, we’re always talking about the old guys left standing.”

Despite 232 regular-season wins in four full seasons under Mike D’Antoni — only four fewer than the Spurs (236) over the same span — the Suns have never been left standing and almost exclusively have the Spurs to thank for it. San Antonio title roads in 2003, 2005 and 2007 all sent them rambling through Phoenix, and last year Duncan’s 3-point salvo at the regulation buzzer that tied Game 1 quickly ripped out the Suns’ soul.

Phoenix fans see the Spurs as bitter rivals, but heretofore outsider Terry Porter doesn’t buy it as he kicks off his stint as Suns coach tonight. “I don’t know if it’s a rivalry until you win a series from those guys,” he said.

But he will go along with O’Neal’s point that veterans are often more attractive in May than they are in October.

“Both of these teams have guys who have been in big games, big playoff situations and know how to make big plays and hit big shots,” he said. “We won’t run into situations that are new, and playing each other is a good test to start the season.”

The Spurs will have to wait awhile before they see how they stand. Manu Ginobili will miss the first 20-25 games of the season after aggravating an ankle injury in the Beijing Olympics and undergoing arthroscopic surgery to correct ligament damage. But since Ginobili has show signs of wearing down in recent seasons, cutting the regular season down by a third could work in San Antonio’s favor if they can tread water without him.

The Suns begin the season healthy – save for a hamstring injury that will keep Alando Tucker sidelined for at least the first three games. Leandro Barbosa and Amaré Stoudemire, who each missed big chunks of the preseason, are up to speed on both the defensive stress points and the half-court offensive sets the Suns will now run with much more regularity.

But Porter will carefully watch the minutes Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Shaquille O’Neal log during the season, with an eye toward keeping them fresher for the end – when experience and savvy are most coveted.

BONUS SHOTS: The 12 previous Suns coaches have combined for a 6-6 record in their debut games. The winners were Johnny Kerr, Jerry Colangelo, Cotton Fitzsimmons, John MacLeod, Paul Westphal, and Scott Skiles. Butch van Breda Kolff, Dick Van Arsdale, John Wetzel, Danny Ainge, Frank Johnson and Mike D’Antoni didn’t fare as well.

Stoudemire’s first free throw tonight will be the 3,000th of his career. Only Kevin Johnson (4,579), Van Arsdale (4,186), Alvan Adams (3,160) and Walter Davis (3,039) have shot that many free throws as a Sun, and Stoudemire will have reached the milestone in just 382 games – faster than any other player. Stoudemire has averaged 7.87 free throws a game in his career, more than any other Sun.

lefty
10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
To paraphrase hockey legend Patrick Roy, it’s hard to hear anything negative when you have championship rings plugging your ears

I remember that one.

Roy was badass

Udokafan05
10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
First time shaq didnt say something stupid

lefty
10-28-2008, 11:23 PM
First time shaq didnt say something stupid

That's because his blood sugar was too low

duncan228
10-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Phoenix (0-0) at San Antonio (0-0)Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2008102924&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:00 pm EDT Wed Oct 29, 2008 TV: ESPN
By MATT BEARDMORE

The days of seven seconds and shoot have set on the Phoenix Suns.

But after last season’s first-round playoff exit to Wednesday night’s season-opening opponent—the San Antonio Spurs—a change in philosophy might be the best thing for them.

With Mike D’Antoni taking his up-tempo pace to the New York Knicks, Suns president of basketball operations and general manager Steve Kerr selected former Spurs teammate Terry Porter as the Suns’ new bench boss.

“Obviously, there will be differences and there will be nuances,” Kerr said. “But the key for us was having somebody who would be balanced on both sides of the ball, who wanted to continue to push the ball and maintain our up-tempo style but could also help us come in and improve defensively.”

Phoenix was third in the NBA with 110.1 points per game last season, but allowed 105.0—25th in the league. Porter spent the past two seasons as a lead assistant in Detroit, and the Pistons led the league in scoring defense at 90.1 points per game in 2007-08.

“I will be hands-on when it comes to the defense,” said Porter, who coached the Milwaukee Bucks from 2003-05. “When you talk about defense, there’s got to be a desire there, and there’s got to be a lot of repetition.”

It will take that if the Suns hope to compete in the loaded Western Conference.

“I think it is a championship-caliber team,” Porter said during his press conference in June. “I think they have some pieces in place that have obviously competed at that level over the last four years.”

Many of the same pieces from last season’s 55-27 team are back, but the Suns’ core has burned through plenty of miles.

Two-time MVP Steve Nash turns 35 in February and opens his fifth season in his second stint with the Suns. Last season, Nash averaged 16.9 points and his 11.1 assists per game were second in the NBA to Chris Paul. Nash ranked second in three-point percentage at 47.0 and fifth in free throws at 90.6 percent.

Even with a new coach, the Suns’ floor general doesn’t expect a down shift in the Suns’ high-octane offense.

“I’m not really concerned that we’re going to change styles completely.” Nash said.

Shaquille O’Neal begins his first full season with the Suns after last February’s trade with Miami. In 28 regular-season games with the Suns, O’Neal averaged 12.9 points and 10.6 rebounds. He went for 15.2 points and 9.2 rebounds in the playoffs, and the 36-year-old O’Neal said next season—his 18th — will be his last.

If last season was any indication, Amare Stoudemire will thrive playing a full season next to the mammoth center. In the 29 games after O’Neal’s debut on Feb. 20, Stoudemire averaged 28.5 points. He averaged 25.2 points and 9.1 rebounds overall, joining Nash on the All-NBA second team.

An ankle injury, torn iris and dislocated left pinkie in the preseason has the seventh-year forward looking ahead to the 82-game season.

“Thank God (the preseason is) over,” Stoudemire said.

Porter will start Matt Barnes, who was acquired from Golden State, over Grant Hill at the small forward position, while Raja Bell starts at the shooting guard position. Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa, first-round draft pick Robin Lopez at center and first-year guard Goran Dragic round out a deep rotation for the Suns.

While the Suns adjust to Porter’s coaching style, the San Antonio Spurs will stick with what’s worked under Gregg Popovich. Despite last season’s Western Conference finals loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, the Spurs have the league’s longest playoff streak at 11 years, winning titles in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007.

“We have a proven system. We have a proven bunch of guys,” said Tim Duncan, who begins his 12th season. “And we like our chances.”

Those chances were hurt when Manu Ginobili, an All-NBA third team selection, had surgery on his left ankle in September and could be sidelined until December.

Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto join Duncan in the starting five, although Parker, 26, is the youngest of the group.

“Isn’t Tony (Parker) still like 19?” Duncan joked. “We’ll be all right. We’re still old. We’ll stay old.”

Robert Horry was not re-signed and Brent Barry signed with the Rockets, but the Spurs—the oldest team in the NBA for the fourth straight season—signed 28-year-old Roger Mason Jr. from Washington, where he averaged 9.1 points in 2007-08.

San Antonio defeated the Suns in five games in their first-round playoff series last season after eliminating Phoenix in six games in the 2007 Western Conference semifinals. Phoenix has won its past two regular-season games in San Antonio after losing 12 of the previous 13.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Spurs report: Suns at Spurs - Oct. 29, 2008 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_report_Suns_at_Spurs_-_Oct_29_2008.html)
Time: 7 p.m.; TV: ESPN, KMYS; Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS

SPURS

PG: 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 8th yr)
Parker averaged 25.6 points vs. Suns in playoffs last season.
SG: 4 Michael Finley (6-7, 14th yr)
With Manu Ginobili on hiatus, Finley will be one of the players asked to step up.
SF: 12 Bruce Bowen (6-7, 13th yr)
PF: 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 12th yr)
Duncan coming off second-lowest scoring season of career at 19.3 points per game.
C: 7 Fabricio Oberto (6-10, 3rd yr)

SUNS

PG: 13 Steve Nash (6-3, 12th yr)
SG: 19 Raja Bell (6-5, 9th yr)
SF: 22 Matt Barnes (6-7, 6th yr)
Barnes, the former Golden State gunner, makes his Phoenix debut.
PF: 1 Amare Stoudemire (6-10, 7th yr)
C: 32 Shaquille O'Neal (7-1, 17th yr)
O'Neal, 36, no longer force he once was, but can be a bruising complementary piece.

RESERVES

SPURS

15 Matt Bonner, F, 6-10, 5th yr
33 Desmon Farmer, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 5th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr

SUNS

17 Louis Amundson, F, 6-9, 3rd yr
10 Leandro Barbosa, G, 6-3, 6th yr
31 Chris Mihm, C, 7-0, 8th yr
3 Boris Diaw, F, 6-8, 6th yr
2 Goran Dragic, G, 6-4, 1st yr
33 Grant Hill, F-G, 6-8, 14th yr
15 Robin Lopez, C-F, 7-0, 1st yr

COACHES

Spurs: Gregg Popovich Suns: Terry Porter

INJURIES

Spurs:

Manu Ginobili (left ankle surgery) and Ian Mahinmi (sprained right ankle) are out.
George Hill (sprained left thumb) is probable.

Suns: None.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ginobili, Mahinmi, Anthony Tolliver.

Suns: Alando Tucker, Sean Singletary.

NOTABLE

Spurs open 2008-09 season with a rematch from first round of last year's playoffs. Spurs won that series 3-1. ... The Spurs have not lost a season opener in the Duncan era, going 11-0. Their last loss to start a season came in 1996, when they lost 82-78 to Minnesota. ... This game marks the Suns debut of Porter, who was 164-71 in two seasons at Milwaukee. Porter played his final three seasons with the Spurs.

— Jeff McDonald

Slippy
10-29-2008, 01:23 AM
For international fans , the games is on ESPN.

Manufan909
10-29-2008, 01:31 AM
Phoenix fans see the Spurs as bitter rivals, but heretofore outsider Terry Porter doesn’t buy it as he kicks off his stint as Suns coach tonight. “I don’t know if it’s a rivalry until you win a series from those guys,” he said.

Words of wisdom.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 01:37 AM
Suns' new look remains mystery (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Suns_new_look_remains_mystery.html)
By Mike Monroe

The Spurs don't know quite what they will get from the Suns when they play them in tonight's regular-season opener at the AT&T Center.

The league's highest-scoring team the past four seasons, the Suns have a new coach, Terry Porter, with a more conservative offensive approach and greater emphasis on defense. The Spurs, though, have spent scant practice time this week focusing on what the Suns did in their preseason games.

Spurs point guard Tony Parker attempted telephonic espionage, but turned up little in the way of useful information. Suns forward Boris Diaw, Parker's close friend and a teammate on the French national team, offered minimal clues.

“I have no idea (what to expect),” Parker said after the Spurs' Tuesday morning practice session. “We didn't even do film, and I didn't watch any of their preseason games. I did talk to Boris and he said it's very different from what we're used to, but it's going to be a discovery for us because we played them so much the last couple years in the playoffs and we're so used to that up-tempo style, and a lot of offense.

“It's going to be different: a lot of half-court, and a lot of getting the ball inside for Shaq (O'Neal) and (Amare) Stoudemire. Less pick-and-roll for (Steve) Nash. Maybe that's good for me. We'll see.”

Knowing that the absence of Manu Ginobili for the first six weeks of the regular season shifts some of the Spurs' scoring load to his shoulders, Parker didn't mind seeing the Suns as the opening night opponent. He had his career game against the Suns little more than six months ago, when he scorched them for 41 points, 12 assists and two steals in a Game 3 victory for the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs.

In four different playoff series against the Suns since 2003, Parker has score at least 29 points seven times.

“I think it's just the fact (coach Gregg Popovich) likes to run a lot of pick-and-rolls against them,” Parker said. “That means the ball is in my hands a lot more, so I'm able to do a lot more. When you play with Timmy (Duncan) and Manu, everybody has to share, but in this series, Pop used to call my number a lot. That's why I think I had those big games.”

Manu sprints: Ginobili, who had surgery to repair a posterior impingement in his left ankle on Sept. 3, has been cleared to begin some straight-line running, and while he is happy to be rid of the boredom of the treadmill, he rediscovered the agony of wind sprints.

With strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt, stopwatch in hand, pushing him through wind sprints Tuesday, Ginobili finished one set of sprints and raced straight into the team's locker room. Brungardt was right behind him, reminding Ginobili he had more work to do.

“He needed to catch his breath for a while,” Brungardt said. “Then we want outside for some more work.”

Suiting up: With Ginobili and Ian Mahinmi still on the team's injured list and forward Anthony Tolliver away until the weekend to attend his mother's funeral, both rookie point guard George Hill and swingman Desmon Farmer should be in uniform for tonight's game. Hill hasn't played since spraining his left thumb in a preseason game Oct. 14.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Since the Spurs and Suns last met (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Since_the_Spurs_and_Suns_last_met.html)
By Jeff McDonald

It's been just six months since the Spurs and Suns faced off in the NBA playoffs. But, oh, so much has changed in the interim. Spurs beat writer Jeff McDonald counts the ways as the teams prepare for tonight's season opener on ESPN and KMYS ...

New coach

Mike D'Antoni and his Burt Reynolds 'stache are off prowling the sidelines in New York (and scowling at Eddy Curry). Enter Terry Porter, who takes over on the Suns' bench after D'Antoni traded the Grand Canyon for the Big Apple.

Porter should be somewhat familiar to Spurs fans — he spent the final three seasons of his career here, from 1999-2002. His offensive style might look a little different than D'Antoni's — we're betting the new-look Suns will take at least eight seconds to shoot.

New gantlet

According to a certain Suns center, an epidemic of flopping and the Spurs' use of the Hack-a-Shaq tactic ruined May's postseason matchup of these two teams.

Six months later, Shaquille O'Neal hasn't gotten over it. Earlier this month, O'Neal went on Phoenix radio to cry foul against Gregg Popovich's playoff strategy, calling it “cowardly.” The big guy vowed to gain revenge by making his free throws. Faced with O'Neal's career 52.4 percentage, the Spurs are surely quaking in their hightops.

New benchwarmer

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili injured his ankle early in that first-round series against Phoenix last season, and aggravated it at the Beijing Olympics. He needed arthroscopic surgery to repair a ligament over the offseason, and will be inactive for the first month and a half of the season.

Luckily for the Spurs, they still have Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, who have traditionally scorched the Suns.

New foil

Robert Horry's hip check of Steve Nash in the 2007 playoffs effectively ended the former Spurs forward's chances of ever getting a free meal in Phoenix again. Before Nash even hit the floor, Horry became the biggest villain in Arizona this side of the OK Corral.

But Big Shot (or, if you happen to live in Phoenix, Cheap Shot) Rob will be nowhere near tonight's game.

Unsigned over the offseason, Horry is semi-retired and hanging out in Houston, so Suns fans will have to find someone else to boo.

New forward

While the Suns and Spurs were duking it out last May, Matt Barnes was sitting on his couch in the Bay Area, contemplating free agency. He moved from Golden State to Phoenix in the offseason, and finds himself smack dab in the middle of this Western Conference feud.

Barnes is the Suns' new starting small forward, a move that shifts the perpetually hobbled Grant Hill to the bench.

New face

So much has changed between the Suns and Spurs that even the familiar faces in this rivalry are unfamiliar.

Witness the beard sprouting from Popovich's face, which has drawn him comparisons with movie actor Donald Sutherland, millionaire/nut job Howard Hughes and Al Gore after the 2000 presidential election. Popovich (ZZ Pop?) won't care what you call him, so long as the Spurs win — even if it's just by a whisker.

honestfool84
10-29-2008, 02:14 AM
duncan228, i think you should have posted these in new threads.

for some reason i don't feel like reading them all here. :lol

“When it comes down to getting the job done, I haven’t seen anyone youthful win it,” O’Neal said. “In the last 10 years, Tim’s (won a title) four times, I’ve won four times (three with the Lakers, one with the Miami Heat) and Mr. (Kevin) Garnett’s been there once.

“Youthful is more exciting to watch. But I never started winning titles until I started losing my (jumping) lift. When I was doing all that spectacular (stuff), I was going home early, too. Everyone wants to talk about youth because it’s new and fun. But in the end, we’re always talking about the old guys left standing.”

ooh, i agree with mr shaq. surprise, surprise.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 02:20 AM
duncan228, i think you should have posted these in new threads.

I did preview threads last season and we put all the previews in one place. It was a place to talk about that night's game until the game blog got running.

People seemed to like it last season, if it doesn't work this year we'll find out. :)

honestfool84
10-29-2008, 02:46 AM
I did preview threads last season and we put all the previews in one place. It was a place to talk about that night's game until the game blog got running.

People seemed to like it last season, if it doesn't work this year we'll find out. :)

oh.
haha, don't mind me.
im sometimes too blunt for my own good.

you do a great job, and this is more than fine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f02wHZr3bA).

Allanon
10-29-2008, 02:48 AM
oh.
haha, don't mind me.
im sometimes too blunt for my own good.

you do a great job, and this is more than fine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f02wHZr3bA).

Yah, pay no attention to Honestfool, he's a fool but at least he's an honest one.

honestfool84
10-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Yah, pay no attention to Honestfool, he's a fool but at least he's an honest one.

:lol
alright, Gandalf.

anakha
10-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Wasn't the nickname 'ZZ Pop' coined somewhere here in ST?

Allanon
10-29-2008, 04:10 AM
alright, Gandalf.

Hahah, Gandalf... :D

Bruno
10-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Thanks duncan228 for all these articles :tu

Thomas82
10-29-2008, 04:51 AM

Yes, we really appreciate what you do for this board.

benefactor
10-29-2008, 05:39 AM
RESERVES

SPURS

15 Matt Bonner, F, 6-10, 5th yr
33 Desmon Farmer, G, 6-5, 2nd yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 1st yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 5th yr
40 Kurt Thomas, C/F, 6-9, 14th yr
5 Ime Udoka, G/F, 6-5, 5th yr
11 Jacque Vaughn, G, 6-1, 12th yr

I am trying really hard to feel good about this....but...

m33p0
10-29-2008, 05:46 AM
alright, Gandalf.
Gandalf? don't you mean Radaghast?

amy020
10-29-2008, 05:52 AM
can't wait to see the first game in the new season.GO SPURS GO

mojorizen7
10-29-2008, 06:00 AM
last year Duncan’s 3-point salvo at the regulation buzzer that tied Game 1 quickly ripped out the Suns’ soul.Yep. That was also the moment D'Umbtoni finally lost that team as well. My concern is that despite the mustache being outta here finally ,that the remnants of gut wrenching playoff dissappointment linger in the heads of Nash,Amare,Bell,Diaw & Barbs. I'd of liked to see Kerr blow up the roster this past summer & rebuild but instead it's ALL IN........ so here we go.
Looking forward to tonights game.
Do you Spur fan's really expect Finley to pick up the scoring in Ginobli's absence? Having Manu fresh for the stretch run will be good but are any of you concerned about some serious scoring droughts between now & January?
Good luck this year in terms of injuries etc........ but don't win too many games ok?
We'll see you in the playoffs......again. I'm sure of it. LOL

Slomo
10-29-2008, 06:02 AM

Yes, we really appreciate what you do for this board.

+1

Dex
10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
San Antonio title roads in 2003, 2005 and 2007 all sent them rambling through Phoenix, and last year Duncan’s 3-point salvo at the regulation buzzer that tied Game 1 quickly ripped out the Suns’ soul.

Duncan's dagger didn't come at the end of regulation. It came at the end of OT1.

Finley's dagger came at the end of regulation. :smokin

:lmao :lmao :lmao pwned by their own coach.

Dex
10-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh, and yes, duncan228 kicks ass.

Budkin
10-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Gonna be weird with no D'Antoni out there... not the same.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Suns open up season in San Antonio (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nba/news/news.aspx?id=4187960)

(Sports Network) - The veteran-laden San Antonio Spurs will open the 2008-09 season tonight against the Phoenix Suns at the AT&T Center.

San Antonio enjoyed another successful campaign last year despite losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference Finals. It has reached the playoffs for the past 11 years thanks to the guidance and tutelage of head coach Gregg Popovich. Popovich has led the Spurs to four NBA titles in his 12 seasons as head coach and the team ended 56-26 in 2007-08.

All-Star center Tim Duncan will lead the Spurs once again after averaging 19.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists in 78 games last season. Duncan will begin his 12th season in the league. Point guard Tony Parker is the one of the youngest on the squad and posted 18.8 points and 6.0 assists per contest in 2007-08. In bad news for San Antonio, top bench player Manu Ginobili underwent surgery on his left ankle in September and is expected to be sidelined until December. Ginobili, who went down in the 2008 Beijing Games for Argentina, notched 19.5 points, 4.8 boards and 4.5 assists last season.

Popovich still has Michael Finley, defensive mastermind Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto to round out the starting five. With no Brent Barry or Robert Horry on the roster, the Spurs added Roger Mason Jr. for support.

Phoenix, meanwhile, will kick off the Terry Porter era on Wednesday. Porter is a defensive-minded coach who spent the past two seasons as an assistant molding Detroit into a two-dimensional threat. The Pistons led the league in scoring defense at 90.1 points per game in 2007-08.

Porter will now try to instill a stronger approach on defense after the Suns allowed 105.0 ppg in 2007-08, good enough for 25th in the NBA. Former head coach Mike D'Antoni is now in New York trying to rebuild the Knicks with his high-tempo style of play. The Suns were third in the NBA with 110.1 points per game last season under D'Antoni and went 55-27 before losing to the Spurs in five games in the opening round of the postseason.

Two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash is back for another year with the Suns and averaged 16.9 points and 11.1 assists last season. He also finished second in three-point percentage at 47.0 and fifth in free throws at 90.6 percent.

Future Hall of Fame center and four-time NBA champion Shaquille O'Neal will kick off his first full season in Phoenix. The big man was acquired from the Miami Heat last season and posted 12.9 points and 10.6 boards in 28 contests with the Suns. O'Neal should have a better season under Porter's new scheme instead of having to run the floor.

Forward Amare Stoudemire is at full strength and posted 25.2 points and 9.1 rebounds in 2007-08. His numbers have improved since O'Neal joined the team. Stoudemire (finger) is probable for Wednesday.

Porter will also start Matt Barnes and Raja Bell, while Boris Diaw, Leandro Barbosa and first-round draft pick Robin Lopez will come off the bench.

The Suns won three of four matchups with San Antonio last year and are 4-2 in the past six encounters. Phoenix has won two in a row at the AT&T Center

phyzik
10-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Gonna be weird with no D'Antoni out there... not the same.

at least we will still have the angry, bitter, insecure suns fans to make fun of.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Shaq just doesn't shut up. :lol

Suns taking cues from Spurs? (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/10/28/20081028sunsspurs1029.html)
Defense, role play among alterations
by Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

For years, Shawn Marion stretched that long arm to the top of a Suns' hand huddle and counted, "one, two, three," before the team yelled, "Suns!" to end practice.

These days, every practice ends with a reminder of what much of it is about.

"One, two, three, defense," they call out.

The Suns tweaked the roster to help the defense, mainly by hiring Terry Porter as coach to overhaul schemes, drafting 7-foot center Robin Lopez in the first round to protect the middle and by signing free agent Matt Barnes. But for the most part, Phoenix put its defense in a microwave, looking for a change to come from within and in a hurry.

Six months to the day that they were eliminated at AT&T Center, the Suns return to open their season against a Spurs team that they seem to have emulated in attempts to upgrade the defense, half-court execution and role play.

Being ousted by San Antonio in three of the past four seasons will do that.

The Suns weren't atrocious defensively last season. Their offensive style allowed teams to score 105.2 points per game, but their defensive-shooting percentage (45.6) was tied for 12th lowest in the NBA. Despite having a decorated defender in Raja Bell, the Suns were panned for not getting timely stops and being most vulnerable in the NBA's bread-and-butter play - the screen-and-roll.

Porter has installed a scheme that sends opposing ballhandlers to the side and baseline, like most defenses.

"We're getting used to it," Bell said. "We've just got to get reps at it and make sure it's second nature. We're doing a good job of getting there. We're not there 100 percent where we just know and it's second nature."

It did not help the Suns that Amaré Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa, two regulars who must improve defensively, were not able to participate for much of the first month.

The Suns' team defense will rely on their improvement and how well they react to opponents' attacks on Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal with high screen-and-rolls.

"It depends on how open they are to the idea of defense," ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy said. " . . . How open are they to more practice time on the defensive end, and how will it impact their attitude if it's not as successful right away?

"Amaré made bold statements that they didn't pay enough attention to defense. Now that they are paying attention, let's see how much focus he has to improve that part of his game.

"The great team defenders have great anticipation. The lesser ones are always a step late. It'll be interesting to see if what they've done in the preseason has helped him in his rotations."

Nash said it is more about how much the Suns buy into their team defense, saying previous coach Mike D'Antoni's schemes were good enough to work, too, if executed. Since the start of camp, Porter has used the phrase "trust factor."

"It's five guys guarding the pick-and-roll," Nash said. "We have to get good at that. In many ways, it's the anchor of a lot of teams' defenses. Hopefully we can have a big presence around the basket and deter people from getting in there."

Conversely, O'Neal has put it on the guards to stay in front of their men.

Porter also has talked about the importance of perimeter defenders preventing quick "blow-bys" and also dictating where the ball goes so that options are eliminated and the defense can be set.

"The key is that if I make him (a penetrator) take a tough shot, somebody's got to box (the Spurs' Tim) Duncan out," O'Neal said. "Everybody has to be on the same page. I'm not going to give anybody any shot. I'm going to rough them up pretty bad or make him take a tough shot."

pauls931
10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
WooHoo! Bring on the geezer fest! Maybe Parker and Amare can joke about hold old everyone else is during timeouts.

urunobili
10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
duncan228 rocks!