PDA

View Full Version : question on buying a cell phone

CosmicCowboy
10-29-2008, 09:05 AM
*sigh*

Was fixing a float on a water trough yesterday and my cell phone went for a swim. Damn.

I have always bought my phones at the ATT store since thats where I have my service...they always gave big discounts for extending the contract...now with the new law they don't deal like they used to and I see these "independent" cell phone stores all over town...

Anyone know who gives the best deals? I just want phone/camera in a good quality flip phone...Assuming I didn't hurt the SIM card can't I buy a phone anywhere and plug the SIM card in?

Dr. Gonzo
10-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Try craigslist.

leemajors
10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
go to attwireless.com, log in, and see if you are eligible for an upgrade under the phone number for that phone - there are still a lot of free phones to be had with a new agreement.

ashbeeigh
10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Do have have insurance with your phone? $50 and you have a new phone. If not you'll have to do some dealing.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
I have always bought my phones at the ATT store since thats where I have my service...they always gave big discounts for extending the contract...now with the new law they don't deal like they used to and I see these "independent" cell phone stores all over town...

there's a new law on that? when did it go into effect? it must've been pretty recent 'cause i did that about 10 months ago. oh, and your SIM card should be OK.

MoSpur
10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Go to craigslist and make sure that phone is clear

tlongII
10-29-2008, 11:53 AM
With the kind of money you have why is this even a concern to you? Richer...

CosmicCowboy
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Even better... I pulled the battery and SIM card, flipped it open, and set the phone out in the sun to bake. When I finally quit getting moisture on the back side of the screens I put the SIM card and battery back in and it went to work. Hopefully it will survive.

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
If you have insurance on the phone ($5 a month), you can replace the phone with any new model phone (iPhone excluded) for a $50 deductible.

CosmicCowboy
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
If you have insurance on the phone ($5 a month), you can replace the phone with any new model phone (iPhone excluded) for a $50 deductible.

I don't do the insurance. This phone is at least two years old. If I had the insurance I would have already paid $120, then add the $50 for a total of $170.

I doubt any phone I would want to get would cost more than that.

In the past I have just gone in and verbally beat the crap out of the little hair gelled sales clones for a "deal" on a new phone. Since I have 8 phones with ATT through my company they always ended up calling someone at corporate who negotiates with me...the phone I have now the Gel clone wanted $160 for and I got it for $40.

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't do the insurance. This phone is at least two years old. If I had the insurance I would have already paid $120, then add the $50 for a total of $170.

I doubt any phone I would want to get would cost more than that.

In the past I have just gone in and verbally beat the crap out of the little hair gelled sales clones for a "deal" on a new phone. Since I have 8 phones with ATT through my company they always ended up calling someone at corporate who negotiates with me...the phone I have now the Gel clone wanted $160 for and I got it for $40.

I know a guy who works for AT&T, and deals specifically with small business customers. You shouldn't even have to deal with the "gel clones."

Sportcamper
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
The “Jitter-Bug” big buttons cell phone for senior citizens is nice ...
http://www.jitterbug.com/images/phones-dial.jpg

Also….You old phone that got wet should have been fine if you took the battery out & let it dry out for a few days….Maybe blast it with a hairdryer…

ORION
10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
make sure to get a phone were you can shut of the shutter noise on the camera.......trust me