PDA

View Full Version : Crappy News on a Beautiful Day

PeterBurns
10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Obviously, this is news that will come out soon, but wanted to share and give my thoughts so people don't misconstrue future posts.

ESPN lost a good talented person this week with Dawn Murphy. I've know Dawn for a while, and while I know many people are quick to post negative things about media members here in town, I'll say that Dawn was a classy person, and those of you have ever met her, know exactly what I'm talking about....especially you ASF.

We've joked around a bit here on the board between Ticket 760 and ESPN when they launched. Obviously, both Chris and I post here, and it's been a good amount of trash talk and good natured ribbing for the most part.

Obviously as always, Chris you are invited to comment, explain, and also address the other big shakeups that happened this week.

I yield the floor to you Mr. Edward John Smith......

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Ok...did she die, or get fired?

BlackSwordsMan
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
????

Sausage
10-29-2008, 10:40 AM
*confused*

NASCARdad
10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
That sucks. I like tracksmack.

Bigzax
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
when the bios came out and she wasn't there...i knew her days were numbered!

those cold hearted bastards! :depressed

is this like when they fired Robin off the stern show...:wakeup

Bigzax
10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
laura green better be on a plane or yous gots some splainin to do!

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Bios? Never mind.

Bigzax
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.1250thezone.com/bios.php

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the link though. Already googled it.

MoSpur
10-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Wow. That was quick. I liked her Nascar show on Saturdays.

BacktoBasics
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
http://www.1250thezone.com/bios.phpChris Duel looks like a butch lesbian in that picture

FromWayDowntown
10-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Chris Duel looks like a butch lesbian in that picture

Wait -- are you suggesting that Chris Duel isn't actually a butch lesbian?

:confused

MoSpur
10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
So no update on what happened?

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm out of the loop. Was there a merger or something?

AlamoSpursFan
10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
She told me that the reason they gave her was "budget cuts".

BMP will come to regret this decision, IMO.

You should put in a good word for her at CC, Pete. Track Smack is infinitely better than that shitty FSN show (does the Tickrah still run that on Saturday mornings?).

I definitely don't envy Chris...Dawn is the best producer in the biz, and now he has to deal with Jason by himself.

:(

Taco
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
wow this sucks

Bigzax
10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
budget cuts? what kind of mickey mouse operation you guys got goin on!

they must've blown the budget with the handful of billboards they put up...

AlamoSpursFan
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
ESPN lost a good talented person this week with Dawn Murphy. I've know Dawn for a while, and while I know many people are quick to post negative things about media members here in town, I'll say that Dawn was a classy person, and those of you have ever met her, know exactly what I'm talking about....especially you ASF

This does read like an obit, Pete, but you are 110% correct. Dawn is the coolest person I've ever met, and she'll land on her feet and be just fine.

AlamoSpursFan
10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
they must've blown the budget with the handful of billboards they put up...

:lol

And now they're stuck with a bunch of billboards with her name on them.

Definitely not a bunch of mental giants running the show over there.

NASCARdad
10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm sure she'll find another job real quick if she's that good of a producer.

PakiDan
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Damn... it took me 9 posts to realize she wasn't dead. Peter should write obits professionally.

10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
vBookie on whether or not 1250 makes it to this time next year?

AlamoSpursFan
10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
vBookie on whether or not 1250 makes it to this time next year?

I'm all in on "No fucking way."

:lmao

AlamoSpursFan
10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Solamente Exitos! Norteno 1250 El Zona!

10-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Solamente Exitos! Norteno 1250 El Zona!

Great, more folks talking like a squirrel on helium.

DannyT
10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn... it took me 9 posts to realize she wasn't dead. Peter should write obits professionally.

careful , he might write yours....ok ok ok I take it back that was wrong....

DannyT
10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
when the bios came out and she wasn't there...i knew her days were numbered!

those cold hearted bastards! :depressed

is this like when they fired Robin off the stern show...:wakeup

maybe they didnt really have a deal in place and dawn was never really hired...maybe she just thought she worked there for the past six months...and now they found a tweenty on the street and got it before she did....or something like that...isnt that how it works zac...you of all people calling someone else cold hearted...you of all people know about being cheap you should be able to relate

PeterBurns
10-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Jeanne Jakle Post...

Female sports talk host bites dust

And then there was none.

San Antonio radio just lost its sole local female bonafide talk show co-host.

Sports aficionado Dawn Murphy, who added a refreshing woman's point of view on KZDC-AM (ESPN 1250 "The Zone") said she was fired Tuesday because of "budget cuts." Though she wore many hats, Dawn was known best to listeners as the third host on the Chris Duel-Jason Minnix evening show.

It's true there have been several cuts and consolidations recently at BMP radio — the company that owns KTSA, KZDC and others here — but as far as I know, Murphy was the only on-air voice to be cut.

Co-host Duel gave Murphy her start on local talk radio several years ago. She was initially hired at KTSA as a call screener for the old Duel show but moved up quickly to the job of producer.

Reached Wednesday, Duel said her ouster saddens him — particularly in these tough economic times — adding it certainly wasn't performance-related. "Dawn was great," he said, explaining she was hard-working and a respected participant on the evening sports show.

Murphy, who was an executive producer at KZDC and handled the afternoon sports updates as well as doing the 5-8 p.m. talk show, said she was surprised when she was called in Tuesday afternoon and given her walking papers.

"The ironic thing is that they were pushing me to be even more of a presence on the show," Murphy, a mother of two, said. "They've even included me in the new billboards for ESPN."

It's true: From what I understand, the billboards which started going up in September, read: "Duel, Minnix and Murphy."

Dawn, an auto racing junkie, also hosted a NASCAR show on the local ESPN station Saturday morning called "Track Smack." I'm sure the racing enthusiasts will be steamed by the loss of that show as well. (Murphy had built up an impressive following in the relatively brief time the show was on the air.)

Looking at the bigger picture of local radio — the shocking dearth of a female perspective on opinion shows here — Murphy's ax further points to the "boy's club" nature of S.A. talk radio these days.

Yes, you'll hear women occasionally share their opinions on air: Liz Ruiz on Trey Ware's morning KTSA show and Charity McCurdy on San Antonio's First News with Charlie Parker" are two. However, they're really newswomen, not talk hosts.

Yet, I'm constantly hearing from listeners who say they'd love to see more from women on local talk radio. So, bosses out there, when, for cripes' sake, will this situation change?
Comments

Dawn will be missed. I don't care for Nascar, but Dawn was great at other areas too. Dawn usually had a great question for the guest of the show and Chris and Jason allowed her some freedom to ask it! There are too many men in sports shows, I miss the Sports Chick from the late 90's.
Maybe this can be blamed on the contract for the Spurs Game Night show host, Jay Howard. I am sure he wasn't cheap...

DannyT
10-29-2008, 04:31 PM
wow Jay Howards already being blamed for this....

PakiDan
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
careful , he might write yours....ok ok ok I take it back that was wrong....

* ouch * :depressed

DannyT
10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I said I take it back....

marini martini
10-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I yield the floor to you Mr. Edward John Smith......:spless::spless::spless:

johnsmith
10-29-2008, 09:28 PM
I yield the floor to you Mr. Edward John Smith......:spless::spless::spless:

Eh, I don't even wish termination on someone.

johnsmith
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
For instance, I think Duel should be transferred to sports talk in Northern Alaska and forced to cover Eskimo olympics (although he'd suck at that too), but I don't wish him to not draw a paycheck.

AlamoSpursFan
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Reached Wednesday, Duel said her ouster saddens him — particularly in these tough economic times — adding it certainly wasn't performance-related. "Dawn IS great," he said, explaining she was hard-working and a respected participant on the evening sports show.

Fixed for Chris.

dawn
10-30-2008, 07:41 AM
THANK YOU...

Thank you so much for the kind words. It has been a VERY ROUGH couple of days and I hope in the next few it gets better...The Kind words were much needed...

I know we all did not always see eye to eye, but in the end, I always had fun.

I think I am still a bit in shock as I had NO idea this was coming...although neither did the others who were let go as well.

I am openly scared as hell since above everything else I am a MOTHER and providing for my two boys is first in my life...not having the J-O-B makes that a little scary, but I am more sad just about leaving a place that for the last 5 years has been HOME and my escape. I will miss everyone there. But NO ONE more than Chris Duel.

Like him or not on the air, when you meet him in person, you understand that he is real and one of the most giving people you will ever meet. He is one of my BEST FRIENDS and I thank him for ALWAYS believing in me and pushing me to go after my dream.

I am heading out for Texas Motor Speedway for fast cars, TONS of beer, and a escape for a few days... I hope to one day be able to be back on the air if not HERE at HOME, then somewhere doing what I love...

Thank you all again...

JoeChalupa
10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Best of luck to you. :tu

Taco
10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Jeanne Jakle Post...Maybe this can be blamed on the contract for the Spurs Game Night show host, Jay Howard. I am sure he wasn't cheap...

:depressed

JudynTX
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
THANK YOU...

Thank you so much for the kind words. It has been a VERY ROUGH couple of days and I hope in the next few it gets better...The Kind words were much needed...

I know we all did not always see eye to eye, but in the end, I always had fun.

I think I am still a bit in shock as I had NO idea this was coming...although neither did the others who were let go as well.

I am openly scared as hell since above everything else I am a MOTHER and providing for my two boys is first in my life...not having the J-O-B makes that a little scary, but I am more sad just about leaving a place that for the last 5 years has been HOME and my escape. I will miss everyone there. But NO ONE more than Chris Duel.

Like him or not on the air, when you meet him in person, you understand that he is real and one of the most giving people you will ever meet. He is one of my BEST FRIENDS and I thank him for ALWAYS believing in me and pushing me to go after my dream.

I am heading out for Texas Motor Speedway for fast cars, TONS of beer, and a escape for a few days... I hope to one day be able to be back on the air if not HERE at HOME, then somewhere doing what I love...

Thank you all again...

Good luck to you Dawn. :depressed I hope to meet you @ Texas Motor Speedway one of these days. :toast

Bigzax
10-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Bless you Dawn! Hope to hear you again soon!

PakiDan
10-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Dawn,

Theres a spot on craigslist where you can make some quick cash. This could help in the short term.

Salad Tosser
10-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Dawn is good there are many stations who will scoop her up. Look how many Jobs Duel has lost, and then got back.

The sad part about all this is Chris Duel is quick to post an up coming event for ESPN but hides when its time to post the real truth.

Biernutz
10-31-2008, 05:53 PM
I liked Dawn. Did her money go to pay for Jay Howard? I would rather keep Dawn.

Vinnie_Johnson
10-31-2008, 11:31 PM
LOL I thought she died BFD they canned her.

pkbpkb81
11-01-2008, 12:04 AM
where is that little bitch Chris Duel.

Smackie Chan
11-01-2008, 02:20 AM
he will have some excuse like...................

I was away from my laptop

This news was so shocking I had to absorb it all before i could reply

I don't come in here anymore because of this, the name calling

I was told by the higher ups not to talk about it

I wanted to give Dawn time before i said anything

This is a personal matter and it does not involve me.

You all know what took place how can i add to this?

Wow! I didn't see the memo until today!

or you can fill in the blank __________________________

and who ever gets closest to his excuse, Kori can add funds to their VBookie.

:lmao

Insomniac
11-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Shit happens?

RickyBobby
11-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Getting canned is the pits. But Dawn is good people and I'm sure she'll get things back on track in no time.