PDA

View Full Version : Dead Space.

Cry Havoc
10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Is ridiculous. Highly recommended. Had a moment last night that literally had me shaking for a few minutes. I'm not sure if it will live up to the intensity of F.E.A.R., but wow, it's damned impressive.

Evan
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
yeah it looks good.

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2008, 02:44 AM
it's got a movie out there that's a prequel to it

MaNuMaNiAc
11-09-2008, 04:01 AM
it's got a movie out there that's a prequel to it

http://stagevu.com/video/kqozzpdhfvek

Link to a streaming of the movie, good quality. You can thank me later :hat

Slydragon
11-09-2008, 04:18 AM
HD video review,

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41717.html

MannyIsGod
11-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Man I played the first F.E.A.R in the dark and it was one of the freakiest games ever.

Cry Havoc
11-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Man I played the first F.E.A.R in the dark and it was one of the freakiest games ever.

Not only was it the most chilling game I've ever played, it was the single most frightening entertainment experience of my life. It will probably always be in the top 10 of my favorite games, just due to the fact that I do not know if I will ever be that frightened sitting in front of a screen again. Which is not to say that no game can be scarier than F.E.A.R., I'm just not sure that any game can be such a huge difference over what I've played previous to F.E.A.R.

Hank the Tank
11-10-2008, 12:33 AM
never played fear, but i didnt think it looked that scary. i thought it was an action fps to tell ya the truth, more than survival horror.

i think clock tower, silent hill 2, and the fatal frames are the scariest i've played.

i want to try dead space though. sounds like an interesting take on horror.

Cry Havoc
11-10-2008, 12:51 AM
never played fear, but i didnt think it looked that scary. i thought it was an action fps to tell ya the truth, more than survival horror.

i think clock tower, silent hill 2, and the fatal frames are the scariest i've played.

i want to try dead space though. sounds like an interesting take on horror.

The thing that separates F.E.A.R. from SH and Fatal Frame is the tension level. The way the game handles the speed of the conflict causes your adrenaline to pump almost constantly. At that point, anything that happens makes you jump. The way the atmosphere is used to induce scary moments even when NOTHING is happening is just genius. You round a corner, hear music build, and then.... nothing happens. Then, during moments you are relaxed, thinking you are just proceeding to the next area, the game throws something at you that you have never thought would be there. It's brilliant.

Hank the Tank
11-10-2008, 01:13 AM
The thing that separates F.E.A.R. from SH and Fatal Frame is the tension level. The way the game handles the speed of the conflict causes your adrenaline to pump almost constantly. At that point, anything that happens makes you jump. The way the atmosphere is used to induce scary moments even when NOTHING is happening is just genius. You round a corner, hear music build, and then.... nothing happens. Then, during moments you are relaxed, thinking you are just proceeding to the next area, the game throws something at you that you have never thought would be there. It's brilliant.

yeah that does sound pretty sweet. i love atmospheric horror games. playing at night with headphones on preferably, is just a surreal experience. ive actually passed up buying it on a couple different occasions, but yeah i'll prolly try it out someday.

Brutalis
11-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Well, my friend says it has too much build up and fails to deliver. Guys I work with that work over in media say the same things. I will pass on this game, it's not selling very well either.

FEAR made me laugh. I love that adrenalin, makes me go on a murderous rampage .. not so much scared. I don't know why these type of games even exist, it's already practically impossible to scare people these days.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-16-2008, 02:15 AM
I just downloaded the game and have everything on and all on HIGH at 1280 x 1024 and the game feels sort of sluggish. Sort of like a mouse speed delay. This shouldn't really be happening with an overclocked GTX280, should it?

Could it be something with directX9? All I know is it is pissing me off.

Heath Ledger
11-16-2008, 07:21 PM
u have the most recent drivers for your card?

Cry Havoc
11-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I just downloaded the game and have everything on and all on HIGH at 1280 x 1024 and the game feels sort of sluggish. Sort of like a mouse speed delay. This shouldn't really be happening with an overclocked GTX280, should it?

Could it be something with directX9? All I know is it is pissing me off.

Make sure you have the most recent version of the game downloaded as well.

There is likely a setting in-game that is messing with your GPU that might be glitchy. Try turning the settings off one at a time until you find the culprit.

What's your CPU and RAM?

Fermixalot
11-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Dead Space does look really cool, I haven't bought a new game in ages but that one looks like a good candidate.

I've never played FEAR, but it never really looked like the kind of horror that I look for. I always thought that the Silent Hill series really did a great job of bringing a new type of horror: horror that isn't about things popping out, but horror that is emotional, atmospheric and utterly twisted. but from what you guys say, I really have to check out FEAR.

Fernando TD21
11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I think that Doom3 was the game with the scariest atmosphere that I've played. FEAR is only scary in parts of the game.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Make sure you have the most recent version of the game downloaded as well.

There is likely a setting in-game that is messing with your GPU that might be glitchy. Try turning the settings off one at a time until you find the culprit.

What's your CPU and RAM?

I've got a Q9550 Quad core 2.83mhz (Overclocked to 3.7) and 4gb RAM DDR2 800. I'm pretty certain this is not the problem :p:

Still, I'm pretty sure you're right about the version of the game messing with my GPU. Though it could be I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bits and there is some incompatibility. I don't know.

Evan
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Dead Space does look really cool, I haven't bought a new game in ages but that one looks like a good candidate.

I've never played FEAR, but it never really looked like the kind of horror that I look for. I always thought that the Silent Hill series really did a great job of bringing a new type of horror: horror that isn't about things popping out, but horror that is emotional, atmospheric and utterly twisted. but from what you guys say, I really have to check out FEAR.

Silent Hill is incredible but the sheer size of the game drove me insane with boredom.

Fermixalot
11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Silent Hill is incredible but the sheer size of the game drove me insane with boredom.

I can see that. If you get lost or put it down for a few weeks, you could completely lose your way and will to play. But yeah it is incredible. :toast

jman3000
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I played it for the first time last night. The first 10 minutes of it are pretty intense. It's mixture of rpg/survivor/horror/shooter/puzzle is nice and I can tell that I'll have more moments where I scream like a little girl.

Trainwreck2100
02-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I played it for the first time last night. The first 10 minutes of it are pretty intense. It's mixture of rpg/survivor/horror/shooter/puzzle is nice and I can tell that I'll have more moments where I scream like a little girl.

have you seen the prequel movie?

mardigan
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
have you seen the prequel movie?

It's pretty cool. One of the more violent movies i have ever seen.

jman3000
02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
no ... i didnt watch the prequel. ill have my friend dl asap.

MannyIsGod
01-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Started this tonight. Have one week before school starts and I'd like to beat it by then but I only want to play at night with the lights off for max effect.

vander
01-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I liked Dead Space, much more than F.E.A.R.

closest thing to SS2 I've found, still not even in SS2's league, nothing ever will be :depressed

MannyIsGod
01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I only got to like chapter 3. Its an OK game so far but didn't really suck me in like FEAR. I'm enjoying Borderlands more but to be fair that has a lot to do with multiplayer.

Leetonidas
01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Dead Space is an old game :lol I remember contemplating buying it a long time ago when I got my PS3 but I've been on the fence. After reading this thread I might have to get it though, sounds pretty awesome.

4>0rings
01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
I prefered FEAR 1, was really scary for a game, atmosphere was awesome. FEAR 2 was pretty good too, had it's moments. Getting inside the mech on FEAR 2 was epic.

Only played the demo on dead space, seemed ok... like $25 or less OK.

mardigan
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Dead Space 2 comes out on the 25th I think. They have the demo up you can download, much smoother than the last game. Looking forward to this new one, especially with the added multiplayer where you play as the Necromorphs.

DJ Mbenga
01-18-2011, 01:30 AM
dead space is a nice game. i bought it when it was selling for 10 bucks. great fun.

Chris
01-18-2011, 09:51 PM
It's worth the 10-20 bucks for sure. You can pick it up on Amazon for anywhere in between that price. I can't wait until part 2 drops in price. F spending $60 on a game though. Only game worth paying that right now is New Vegas.

mardigan
02-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Dead Space 2 is the shit. Better in every way than the last game. Haven't tried out the multiplayer yet, but the single player campaign is as much fun I have had with a game in a long time.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
First 5-6 chapters are extremely well done.

After that, it gets kind of tedious and repetitive.

Haven't touched multiplayer yet and probably never will.

Oh, and Demon Souls 2 is supposed to come out this year; titled Dark Souls.