PDA

View Full Version : LA times tape? WTF is this?

cool hand
10-29-2008, 01:10 PM
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/29/mccain-slams-la-times-double-standard-withholding-obama-khalidi-tape/

I say release the tape on Nov 5.......lol.:rollin

MannyIsGod
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Not going to release it. They made a deal with the source not to and if they'd like to receive info from sources in the future they won't violate that trust.

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Not going to release it. They made a deal with the source not to and if they'd like to receive info from sources in the future they won't violate that trust.

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I just don't know.

Does the source prevent them from reporting on it, or just from releasing it?

And...what benefit is it to either the source, or the newspaper to obtain such information if they are able to report on it?

SnakeBoy
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
If someone offers them enough $, they'll release it.

Shastafarian
10-29-2008, 01:40 PM
I wonder where the tapes are of the IRI meetings where McCain decided to give Khalidi's foundation half a million dollars...

The Power Hour
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I smell a conspiracy!

KenMcCoy
10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I wonder where the tapes are of the IRI meetings where McCain decided to give Khalidi's foundation half a million dollars...

I think FoxNews has those...

MannyIsGod
10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I just don't know.

Does the source prevent them from reporting on it, or just from releasing it?

And...what benefit is it to either the source, or the newspaper to obtain such information if they are able to report on it?

They've already reported on it. The point is to get the material and simply report on it, but the source gives it to the Times on the condition that they never release it. Sure, they could release it anyway but then that really screws up their chances of working with people with information in the future due to a lack of trust.

Shastafarian
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
They've already reported on it. The point is to get the material and simply report on it, but the source gives it to the Times on the condition that they never release it. Sure, they could release it anyway but then that really screws up their chances of working with people with information in the future due to a lack of trust.

Blasphemy! Obviously they're just hiding it from the public to protect Obama and ensure a victory next Tuesday.

Joe the plumber
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Obama is a liar.

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 01:52 PM
damn it! :cuss

ElNono
Obama is a liar.

:lmao

Spurminator
McCain is positioning this as new news, and I'm sure people will eat it up. We'll see if it makes a difference.

ratm1221
This makes no sense what-so-ever.

"Hey here is a tape, but don't release it."

"Oh, ok thanks."

Use your brains people.

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 01:56 PM

"Oh, ok thanks."

Use your brains people.

If only that had worked for Paris Hilton or Pamela Anderson.

ElNono
10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
cue in whottt:

GAME CHANGER!!!!! There are 36 lawsuits in different states about this.
:lmao

Spurminator
10-29-2008, 02:01 PM

"Oh, ok thanks."

Use your brains people.

This was in April. Here's how it went:

"Here is a tape. Report on it, just don't release the tape."

"Thanks. Will do. We will keep you anonymous as we do with all of our sources who request anonymity. Because that's what we do."

And here's the article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-obamamideast10apr10,0,5826085.story

ratm1221
10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
This was in April. Here's how it went:

"Here is a tape. Report on it, just don't release the tape."

"Thanks. Will do. We will keep you anonymous as we do with all of our sources who request anonymity. Because that's what we do."

And here's the article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-obamamideast10apr10,0,5826085.story

Already read the article. Thanks though.

Spurminator
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
That's the April article when the content of the tape was first reported on.

ratm1221
10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
That's the April article when the content of the tape was first reported on.

Um, yeah. So?

It's being brought back up and it doesn't make anymore sense today as it made in April.

LA Times can release footage of the tape without turning it over to Gil Grissom to dust for fingerprints.

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Is this the October surprise McCain has been waiting for!!!? FoxNews is all over this.

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Teflon Obama

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Teflon Obama

Iron Skillet McCain.

Crookshanks
If it was a tape damaging to McCain or Palin, you can bet they'd find a way to release the video. This is just more of the media protecting their messiah.

I Love Me Some Me
Iron Skillet McCain.

:lol

MannyIsGod
10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Um, yeah. So?

It's being brought back up and it doesn't make anymore sense today as it made in April.

LA Times can release footage of the tape without turning it over to Gil Grissom to dust for fingerprints.

Except the deal wasn't don't turn this over for fingerprinting it was don't release this tape. Do you really have no idea how journalists safeguard their sources? Did you miss the whole Valerie Plame mess where reporters went to jail to protect their sources?

Wild Cobra
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Just another proof of media bias.

Obama wouldn't have a chance if the media treated both candidates equally.

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Those bastards!! :cuss

implacable44
10-29-2008, 02:52 PM
nothing to see here -- it has already been told. There is nothing to this story -- nothing to the relationship with Khalidi - nothing to the William Ayers - nothing to Jeremia Wright and the Black Liberation Theology - nothing to ACRON - nothing with Sarkozy -- Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac money is irrelevant. All of that is hogwash invented by the hate machine - war mongers - haliburton Cheney Bush evil doers. Hope for change brother - change for hope.

oh and keep your guns loaded -- but get them now.

DarrinS
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
The LA Times had a boner about releasing an Arnold Schwarzenegger video a couple of years ago.

Seems they have a double-standard when it comes to "the one".

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/schwarzenegger-apologizes-for-hot-tape/

Anti.Hero
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
This dude could eat kittens for breakfast and 55% of the country would not give a fuck.

There will be books/studies years from now on how The Obama camp was able to hypnotize the masses like this.

DarrinS
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
This dude could eat babies for breakfast and 55% of the country would not give a fuck.

fixed

ratm1221
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
nothing to see here -- it has already been told. There is nothing to this story -- nothing to the relationship with Khalidi - nothing to the William Ayers - nothing to Jeremia Wright and the Black Liberation Theology - nothing to ACRON - nothing with Sarkozy -- Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac money is irrelevant. All of that is hogwash invented by the hate machine - war mongers - haliburton Cheney Bush evil doers. Hope for change brother - change for hope.

oh and keep your guns loaded -- but get them now.

I think you've watched Conspiracy Theory one too many times. Remember the movie with Mel Gibson? That or the Manchurian Candidate.

Spurminator
10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
The LA Times had a boner about releasing an Arnold Schwarzenegger video a couple of years ago.

Seems they have a double-standard when it comes to "the one".

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/09/08/schwarzenegger-apologizes-for-hot-tape/

The Times says it is standing by its promise not to show the tape, which it got from an anonymous source.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I think you've watched Conspiracy Theory one too many times. Remember the movie with Mel Gibson? That or the Manchurian Candidate.

You are probably right. THat is a good movie and Julia is actually looking pretty hot in that one too. I will watch it again tonight just in case I start slipping and I will go ahead and read Catcher in the Rye again.

DarrinS
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Why would they promise not to release this video?

Spurminator
10-29-2008, 03:04 PM

So the source would give them the video and they could report on it.

Anti.Hero
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
They (Obama) could just edit out the bad parts and then release it. They already own the media.

Shastafarian
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM

They have a time machine. They went into the future and saw McCain would bring it up with a week left until the election.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 03:06 PM
They have a time machine. They went into the future and saw McCain would bring it up with a week left until the election.

the good old Flux Capacitor

Trainwreck2100
10-29-2008, 03:17 PM
the good old Flux Capacitor

It's a time machine so wouldn't that make it a new flux capacitor???

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 03:32 PM
In the 1970s, when Khalidi taught at a university in Beirut, he often spoke to reporters on behalf of Yasser Arafat's Palestine Liberation Organization. In the early 1990s, he advised the Palestinian delegation during peace negotiations. Khalidi now occupies a prestigious professorship of Arab studies at Columbia.

He is seen as a moderate in Palestinian circles, having decried suicide bombings against civilians as a "war crime" and criticized the conduct of Hamas and other Palestinian leaders. Still, many of Khalidi's opinions are troubling to pro-Israel activists, such as his defense of Palestinians' right to resist Israeli occupation and his critique of U.S. policy as biased toward Israel.

So, this is the great Satan of the week?

That's it?

implacable44
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Consider the source you cited Keith. The same folks that won't even release the tape ?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Consider the source you cited Keith. The same folks that won't even release the tape ?So you tell me why he is the great Satan. Actually, pretend to be Glenn Beck again and tell me why he thinks he's the great Satan.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
So you tell me why he is the great Satan. Actually, pretend to be Glenn Beck again and tell me why he thinks he's the great Satan.

Keith -- I can't help you realize all your fantasy dreams.. fantasize about someone else for awhile.

RandomGuy
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM
"I am not speaking to the press at this time, and do not speak to Fox in any case, as I just wrote one of your colleagues," Khalidi wrote in an e-mail statement to FOXNews.com.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

FFN

Shastafarian
So you tell me why he is the great Satan. Actually, pretend to be Glenn Beck again and tell me why he thinks he's the great Satan.

He did a bang up job pretending to be Beck :lmao

ratm1221
Except the deal wasn't don't turn this over for fingerprinting it was don't release this tape. Do you really have no idea how journalists safeguard their sources? Did you miss the whole Valerie Plame mess where reporters went to jail to protect their sources?

The only thing that makes sense to me is the source that provided the tape thought that the tape would do more damage by being reported on and not released. That way McCain could make a big stink about it making it look like something more than it really is. If you have a tape that isn't news worthy, tell them not to release it, and it all of a sudden becomes news and there is "something to hide."

Say I had a tape of Cindy McCain rubbing her ear. I sent it in to the news and said here is a tape you can report on but not release.

You might see it in the paper the next day as "Tape provided by anonymous source of Cindy McCain rubbing herself."

Crappy tape that you can show that has no value = not news worthy

Mysterious tape from an anonymous source that cannot be released = big news!!

10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
So, what do you call it when a newspaper censors themselves?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Respecting agreements made with sources.

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
The only thing that makes sense to me is the source that provided the tape thought that the tape would do more damage by being reported on and not released. That way McCain could make a big stink about it making it look like something more than it really is. If you have a tape that isn't news worthy, tell them not to release it, and it all of a sudden becomes news and there is "something to hide."

Say I had a tape of Cindy McCain rubbing her ear. I sent it in to the news and said here is a tape you can report on but not release.

You might see it in the paper the next day as "Tape provided by anonymous source of Cindy McCain rubbing herself."

Crappy tape that you can show that has no value = not news worthy

Mysterious tape from an anonymous source that cannot be released = big news!!

That's certainly not the only scenario that could make sense.

implacable44
10-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Respecting agreements made with sources.

Didyou ever complete your Alex Jones mission on 9/11 ?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Didyou ever complete your Alex Jones mission on 9/11 ?What are you babbling about?

implacable44
10-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Weren't you on an Alex Jones mission regarding 9/11 at one time ?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Weren't you on an Alex Jones mission regarding 9/11 at one time ?Please elaborate.

I think we all want to hear this.

ElNono
10-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Obama wouldn't have a chance if the media treated both candidates equally.

http://doogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/whambulance.jpg

ploto
10-29-2008, 04:13 PM
"I don't know what's next. By the end of the week, he'll be accusing me of being a secret communist because I shared my toys in kindergarten. I shared my peanut butter and jelly sandwich," Obama said.

ploto
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
"It seems that there is yet another radical professor from the neighborhood who spent a lot of time with Barack Obama going back several years," Palin said at an event in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Anyone else not like her use of the word neighborhood?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
"I don't know what's next. By the end of the week, he'll be accusing me of being a secret communist because I shared my toys in kindergarten. I shared my peanut butter and jelly sandwich," Obama said.Palin spent her childhood at the Ayn Rand School for Tots.

http://hostengs.home.mchsi.com/tots/futile.jpg

I Love Me Some Me
10-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Huh?

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Weren't you on an Alex Jones mission regarding 9/11 at one time ?Still waiting on you to explain what you said here.

doobs
10-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Both Ayers and this other guy lived in Obama's neighborhood. OK, now tell me why I'm insensitive or stupid or whatever.

DarrinS
10-29-2008, 04:39 PM

I don't like her use of the word "the". Fuckin moose cunt.

boutons_
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Dershowitz chimes in:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershowitz/should-the-los-angeles-ti_b_138996.html?view=print

Total bullshit by Fox. Desperate guilt-by-association ploy, none of which has worked (outside of the delusional, hate-driven Repug base).

Megyn and friends exposed as biased, agenda-driven Repug tools.

JoeChalupa
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Dershowitz chimes in:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-dershowitz/should-the-los-angeles-ti_b_138996.html?view=print

Total bullshit by Fox. Desperate guilt-by-association ploy, none of which have worked (outside of the delusional, hate-driven Repug base).

Megyn and friends exposed as biased, agenda-driven Repug tool.

But Megyn is hot!

ChumpDumper
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
One of Fox News' editors gives his opinion:

Khalidi Tape: The L.A. Times Is on Firm Journalistic Ground

By Bill Sammon
Deputy Managing Editor, Washington Bureau, FOX News Channel

I’m no cheerleader for The Los Angeles Times and I’d like to see their videotape of Barack Obama praising a PLO activist as much as the next guy, but as far as I can tell, the newspaper is on firm journalistic ground in refusing to make the tape public.

To me, it’s pretty simple. Reporter Peter Wallsten made an agreement with a source to refrain from publicly disclosing the tape. Unless that source lets Wallsten off the hook, the reporter is journalistically bound to abide by the agreement, regardless of how much heat his newspaper takes from pundits on TV.

Indeed, Wallsten has little choice in the matter. If he were to cave in to mounting public demands for the tape, no self-respecting source would ever give him another shred of information. Nor should they.

Some critics have questioned why Wallsten would agree to withhold the videotape, which purportedly shows Obama with Rashid Khalidi and other Palestinians who expressed criticism of U.S. and Israeli policies. These critics note that Wallsten was allowed to describe the gathering –- a going-away party for Khalidi — in his story, so why can’t he release the tape in full?

This aspect of the debate, while perhaps interesting, is nonetheless irrelevant. Again, a deal is a deal, even if it’s a dumb deal. Besides, there may be a perfectly legitimate reason for withholding the tape, such as the possibility that it contains footage that would compromise the unnamed source’s identity.

Conspiracy theorists now point to the fact that Wallsten’s story, which was published back in April, contained no explanation about the agreement to withhold the tape from public disclosure. The only explanation of any sort, they note, was this cryptic line: “The event was videotaped, and a copy of the tape was obtained by the Times.”

But journalistically speaking, there was no compelling reason for The Times to disclose the particulars of the agreement its reporter had reached with the source. Besides, there was no way of knowing months in advance that the story would become a political football in these final days of the campaign.

Still, other critics have complained that an initial statement released by The Times earlier this week did not mention its agreement with the source. But that does not mean such an agreement did not exist. Unless we have evidence to the contrary, I’m afraid we have to take The Times at its word when it says, however belatedly, that such an agreement indeed existed.

Democratic strategist Howard Wolfson told me today that Republican presidential candidate John McCain was wasting his time attacking the newspaper for not releasing the tape. Wolfson noted that McCain would be better off, at least politically, demanding that Obama, his Democratic opponent, call for the tape’s release.

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/10/29/bsammon_1029/

Can anyone tell me why this guy is the Great Satan of the Week again?

boutons_
10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Megyn hot? nah, just another pretty cable babe with a plastic, uninteresting face. They pop these girls out of molds.

KenMcCoy
10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Megyn hot? nah, just another pretty cable babe with a plastic, uninteresting face. They pop these girls out of molds.

Whatever man...Megyn is a TX GROWN hottie!!! Marble Falls, TX. That's how we roll in TX.