PDA

View Full Version : I Apologize in Advance

Ghost Writer
10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
When I was posting in here every day, there was nothing more annoying than the member that would come in a post about stuff that was already covered and leave.

So I apologize in advance for doing that right now.

Some veterans may feel I have earned this right.

Either way, I'd like to share some thoughts.

And I'm sorry if you don't agree with my gut feelings and/or concerns.

Thanks for indulging an O.G.

The Spurs are old. The window is still slightly open based on Pop's resolve and the team's collective determined defense.

I like Roger Mason. He seems to be Spurs material. Hardworking and disciplined.

Ime Udoka must become the new Bruce Bowen by the playoffs.

Oberto and Thomas are not quick, agile or shot-blockers. That's worrisome.

Will George Hill see any initial playing time with Manu out? I hope so.

Mike Finley is still starting. And Brent Barry is sleeping with the enemy.

If Manu Ginobili does not come back 100% before Jan 1, the Spurs will be hardpressed to have a top 4 seed in the playoffs. However, the silver-and-black lining in that Manu should be fresher and healthier for the playoffs. Real Spurs fans know that this team simply can't win without it's top 3 stars playing at a high level. I blame Ginobili's ankle/foot injury on last year's crushing defeat to the Lakers.

Without being as negative as I have been in the past, where exactly did this team improve from last season? Most if not all of the team's players are on the decline. You can argue that Parker and Udoku and Mason have more to show, but I don't know if a healthy Manu is enough to compete with the Lakers and Bynum, the airtight Hornets with Posey and the consummate Jazz with young D. Williams. And the Rockets can be downright scary if T-Mac and Ming can stay healthy, because Ron Artest is going to prove all his naysayers wrong.

[Speaking of which, how in the world do the Spurs let Artest slip through their grasp once again? Here is the classic example of a mitigatible risk. The Spurs have a team of veteran players with the potential to squeeze one or two more titles out. Artest is playing for another contract this year. When winning and surrounded with class players, Artest can be special. I have often said that Artest is Bowen with the benefit of a strong offensive skill set. He excels in the half court and can guard 1s - 4s. How do you NOT bring this defensive dynamo in for a one year experiment, when Artest can't afford but to fall in line? Allowing him to land with the division rival Rockets is inexcusable.]

Interestingly. Sports Illustrated has the nerve to pick the Spurs over the Celtics (the Finals that I prayed for the minute Ainge mortgaged Boston's future to secure a title) in this season's Finals. They used such scientific prognastration as "the Spurs win every other year" and that "Manu will be healthy."

I love the Spurs and live and die with every playoff adventure, but I just don't see it. In the past, the Spurs on paper were rarely a match for other star-laden teams, but I could convince myself that they would secure homecourt advantage in the playoffs and defend better than any other team. Now, I am not convinced that the Big Three are enough or that Manu can stay healthy or that the team will be able to stay in the hunt while Manu is out. It's stunning to me that the front office does virtually nothing to get younger, faster, stronger, better. There is a thin line between believing in your players and system and plain obstinance.

I hope I am wrong, as I have been before.

I will say that with a healthy Manu and other teams underestimating them, the Spurs could steal a ring this year. It will take everything they have to do so.

Enjoy the game tonight!

GO SPURS!

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Great Take!

Ghost Writer
10-29-2008, 08:32 PM
We need to keep it real, SequSpur.

While most are grateful for the 4 titles the Spurs won in Duncan's 11 seasons, I lament the ones that slipped through our fingers.

I am losing my nerve as the years roll on and I realize the front offense is either inept or content to ride it out with the draft and a revolving cast of veterans or misfits that no other teams want.

We need to stay healthy and hope for a few breaks to win.

It's possible.

Brodels
10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Who the hell is Ghost Writer?

Mister Sinister
10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Johnny Blaze.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
We need to keep it real, SequSpur.

While most are grateful for the 4 titles the Spurs won in Duncan's 11 seasons, I lament the ones that slipped through our fingers.

I am losing my nerve as the years roll on and I realize the front offense is either inept or content to ride it out with the draft and a revolving cast of veterans or misfits that no other teams want.

We need to stay healthy and hope for a few breaks to win.

It's possible.

I already lost my nerves half way through last year.

spursfan09
10-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Duncan for the 3

LMAO!

He made it when it mattered!

koriwhat
10-29-2008, 09:48 PM
bunch of pussies! just believe they are gonna win every yr and you'll be better off or you can take your approach and dog the team you supposedly support.

Ghost Writer
10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
How can you support insanity?

The front office does the same thing every year and expects a different result.

Imagine if the bench had 2-3 viable, spry players or we took a chance on a reclamation project like Ron Artest?

The Spurs have won 4 rings on Duncan's back with 2 supporting players and a bunch of sh1t.

timvp
10-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Welcome back, G-Dub. If Desmon Farmer ever gets a spot in the rotation, prepare to have a new favorite player.

You heard it here first.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Have to agree with that take. :tu

Good to have you back, OG. :)

TDMVPDPOY
10-30-2008, 05:34 AM
its simple if gino doesnt recover by jan 1 and we are in the shitz? trade his ass for scrubs and start tanking

smeagol
10-30-2008, 07:10 AM

Who the Hell is Brodels?

mrspurs
10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
How can you support insanity?

Imagine if the bench had 2-3 viable, spry players or we took a chance on a reclamation project like Ron Artest?

The Spurs have won 4 rings on Duncan's back with 2 supporting players and a bunch of sh1t.

Almost close. A few years ago we had just as good a bench as a starting lineup. Now we ride Timmys back give him no help and have a bunch of guys who shoot the ball and nothing else.

IcemanCometh
10-30-2008, 08:18 AM

It's worked half of the time

ElNono
10-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Is this the give up after the first loss thread?

SpurSupremacist
10-31-2008, 06:51 AM

Amen. My thoughts exactly.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 08:40 AM
Desmon Farmer?

Do tell.

P.S.

I posted this before the first game.

timvp
10-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Desmon Farmer is basically Stephen Jackson minus about three inches in height. His lack of height makes him a borderline NBA balla but he's a balla nonetheless.

:smokin

MoSpur
10-31-2008, 09:11 AM
I like Farmer, but I think his somewhat low BBall IQ on the defensive side might hurt his chances of playing regular minutes. I hope this isn't the case. To be honest, I thought Hairston was gonna win that final spot. I like the choice either way,.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Interesting.

What's the early line on George Hill?

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Parker for Marbury in 09.

:corn:

Welcome back, GW.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Fvck Marbury. He doesn't play for the "team," he plays for himself.

Vince Carter and Wally Szerbiack will be available.

I know.

Yuck.

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Fvck Marbury. He doesn't play for the "team," he plays for himself.

Vince Carter and Wally Szerbiack will be available.

I know.

Yuck.

Yeah, I was just harkening back to the days of Payton for Parker and Whitney > Parker.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
FWD, you can bring that up all you want, but at the time everyone was svcking Parker's d1ck, I simply pointed out that Chris Whitney was having a better season, statistically speaking.

And I won't apologize for wanting the Spurs to consider trading an unknown commodity for a proven All-Star before the Spurs won any titles with Parker.

I will always go for the short-term, sure thing.

The future can take care of itself.

Win Now. Worry Later.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
FWD, you can bring that up all you want, but at the time everyone was svcking Parker's d1ck, I simply pointed out that Chris Whitney was having a better season, statistically speaking.

And I won't apologize for wanting the Spurs to consider trading an unknown commodity for a proven All-Star before the Spurs won any titles with Parker.

I will always go for the short-term, sure thing.
The future can take care of itself.

Win Now. Worry Later.

If GW was the Spurs GM their run of titles would have ended in 1999. Right now we'd be paying max contracts to Chris Whitney, Stephen Jackson, Michael Olowokandi, and we'd be feeding Latrell Spreewell's family for at least two more years.

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Not fair or entirely accurate, FWD. And you know that.

I advocate a balance of building through the draft, making an advantageous trade or two, and looking at opportunistic acquisitions via free agency.

The Spurs front office is ultra-conservative in that sometimes I think they need to gamble.

That doesn't mean make the whole team a collective risk.

It means taking a shot at a short-term solution to try and guarantee another title.