PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Oberto Says He's OK

duncan228
10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Jeff McDonald: Oberto says he's OK (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_o_4.html)

Dressed in jeans and a black polo shirt, instead of his No. 7 Spurs uniform, center Fabricio Oberto appeared to be in good spirits in the locker room before tonight's season opener against Phoenix.

The recurrence of a heart ailment called atrial fibrillation will keep him out of this game and the next one at Portland, but otherwise he says he's feeling fine. He even joked that this isn't some elaborate ruse to get out of guarding Shaquille O'Neal.

"The medication they gave me made me a little loopy," he said. "But I feel fine."

Oberto, 33, says the heart fluttering he felt while lifting weights after Tuesday's practice are gone. He won't make the trip to Portland on Thursday, and will instead stay behind to be monitored.

"I've just got to chill for a while," Oberto said.

If all goes well, Oberto should be available for Tuesday's game against Dallas.

Gino2882
10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
He looks to be OK, which is good. The Spurs shouldn't have to make any roster moves.

They will be pretty shorthanded tonight.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Oberto to 'chill for a while' as doctors monitor his heart (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Oberto_to_chill_for_a_while_as_doctors_monitor_his _heart.html)
By Mike Monroe

Other than feeling “a little loopy” from the medication he was given after a procedure to control his heart rhythm, Spurs center Fabricio Oberto said he feels perfectly normal.

Oberto reported a “fluttering” feeling in his heart while lifting weights before the Spurs' Tuesday practice. An electrocardiogram (EKG) test revealed the atrial fibrillation. The 33-year-old center missed the Spurs' Wednesday night game against the Phoenix Suns. He will not accompany the team to Portland for its Friday night game against the Trail Blazers.

Doctors have scheduled daily EKG exams to monitor his heart rhythm, and he will be re-evaluated for a possible return to game action next week.

The Spurs' third game of the season, against the Dallas Mavericks, is scheduled for AT&T Center on Tuesday.

“I feel fine,” Oberto said before Wednesday's tipoff. “I just have to chill for a while.”

The atrial fibrillation incident was the second of Oberto's Spurs career. He first experienced a problem after being hit in the neck in a game in Dallas on April 18, 2007. He underwent the same cardioversion procedure that doctors conducted on Tuesday night then and missed four days before returning for the playoffs.

The fact Tuesday's incident was the second of his Spurs career is cause for concern, according to Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

“I just know we're going to be very cautious,” Popovich said. “This is the second time this has happened. If it happened again two weeks from now, then that pattern would really start to give us pause, where I think doctors would probably be a lot more alarmed at the quick recurrence of such a thing.

“For now, we're just going to go by what the doctors tell us.”

Third year for Mahinmi: The Spurs on Tuesday picked up their option on the third year of forward-center Ian Mahinmi's rookie scale contract. Mahinmi will be paid $990,000 next season.

The 21-year-old from France did not suit up for Wednesday's game against the Suns. Still recovering from a preseason ankle sprain, Mahinmi likely won't be ready to play for another few weeks.

Blackjack
10-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Good to hear he's okay.:tu

On a basketball level, I couldn't help but see how inept the high-low passing was without Oberto and Horry. Tim better hope Oberto gets back soon and that Tolliver can display some touch/I.Q. to get him the ball on his patented seals.

Spur-Addict
10-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Another few weeks sounds like a month, Ian.

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Another few weeks - good God!