PDA

View Full Version : Who in the Hell is Going to Score?

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 06:59 PM
That's the biggest question.. The Spurs don't have a chance.

Suns by 20.

One day the spurs will have to cross the road that more points win the got damn game...

mavsfan1000
10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Man the spurs suck this year. Manu is their motion offense. lol

ClingingMars
10-29-2008, 09:29 PM
mason?

-Mars

MannyIsGod
10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
They were in it tonight because Tony and Tim both carried them. Bonner and Mason were both good but neither is going to score a good deal of points consistently.

Man, its going to be tough to come by points.

E20
10-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Spurs are gonna suck until Ginobili comes back. Outside of Tony and Tim nobody else can score, unless if Finley puts up good numbers on a consistent basis

I'm not expecting Mason to come in and make an impact right away
. Bonner sucks. Bowen isn't there for offense. I don't know what to expect from Udoka.

All I know is when I saw taht the Spurs were down and fucking Vaughn was scoring, I was like oh shit Spurs are gonna lose.

Mr. Body
10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
...Scola?

Gino2882
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
...Hill?

...Farmer?

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 09:47 PM
...Scola?

Such a shame...if he took Bonner's minutes, we win going away.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Scola has 12 points and 13 rebounds right now in the 3rd quarter... sick...

also Mario Chalmers had rookie of the year stats tonight and Hill was selling fucking beer...

I fucking hate Popovich and his stupid fucking staff.

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
also Mario Chalmers had rookie of the year stats tonight and Hill was selling fucking beer...

Super Nintendo Chalmers would have helped but it's hard to trust a pot head...

E20
10-29-2008, 09:51 PM

Scola is pretty badass.

Death In June
10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
It's irritating to think how scary-good this team would be if they put talent around Tim, Tony, and Manu. Developing players in Tim and Manu's twilight years is asinine, especially when they had the cap space and the free agent talent available. But you expect that with a FO that managed to give away Scola, Steven Jackson, Barbosa, and Brent Barry while sticking with Vaugn, Bonner, and Finely.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 09:59 PM
It's irritating to think how scary-good this team would be if they put talent around Tim, Tony, and Manu. Developing players in Tim and Manu's twilight years is asinine, especially when they had the cap space and the free agent talent available. But you expect that with a FO that managed to give away Scola, Steven Jackson, Barbosa, and Brent Barry while sticking with Vaugn, Bonner, and Finely.

Dude, you hit it right on the head.

It's very irritating... Fuck, they are two players away from being super elite and they sign a bunch of shit...

Can any of the Spurs dunk a ball?

DMX7
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I can already tell Hill is going to be a injury plagued scrub.

Mr. Body
10-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Trading Scola lost us at least one championship.

BlackSwordsMan
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
looks like mason was the answer

BlackSwordsMan
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
church of mason? the masons?

MarHill
10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Well it's the first game of the season and I can see that Sequ Spur is already going negative about the Spurs.

Here's the thing...I believe the team will be alright until Manu comes back. The problem in tonight's game was on the defense. Yes Tim and Tony scored over 30 points....but if Mason can give us 10-12 points ppg (that's reasonable with his skill set) and Finley will give 8-10 points ppg and they pick it up on defense they will enough games in the early season to be in the mix.

I like what I saw from Mason. He can give his own shot off the dribble. I didn't know that. That will help create instant offense.

But everybody will have to contribute and they will.

I hope people like Sequ Spur and many others on this forum don't go overboard especially after the first game in the season.

The NBA Season is not a sprint...it's a marathon and this team will be right there to finish the race.

Yikes!!

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
mason looks like he has the barry mentality, afraid too shoot when his free open.....dude take the fukn shot instead of passing it to someone who is known to be a crap % shooter...if he can get this out of his head, he be avg +10ppg and probably get the starting job

Ginobilly
10-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Yeah, it would very nice if that could happened but Holt and co don't got the dinero to make your wish blossom into fruition.

MarHill
10-29-2008, 10:16 PM
What are you writing?

Mason played well tonight. It was his first actual game as a Spur...he did just fine.

Unbelievable!!

mason looks like he has the barry mentality, afraid too shoot when his free open.....dude take the fukn shot instead of passing it to someone who is known to be a crap % shooter...if he can get this out of his head, he be avg +10ppg and probably get the starting job

Obstructed_View
The Spurs aren't going to go far with this new philosophy of trying to outscore people, particularly if the best you can come up with at the end of a three point game is a Parker three attempt and a Duncan three attempt. In the past they'd get a sure two and play solid defense to give themselves a chance to win it at the buzzer. Along with poor shot selection at the end, they had too many defensive lapses and gave up too many easy baskets and second opportunities.

SequSpur
Dude, Tony Parker is still the best player in the NBA. Duncan is 2nd.

What happened to Bowen? Bonner is a joke.... Udoka, well, uh nothing there...

Thomas, Vaughn and Mason were Solid.

I saw some light, but the same issues ARE STILL THERE... Haven't been addressed at all.

Meanwhile, players like Chalmers.. cough cough.. 2nd round pick, 10 times better than Hill put up all star numbers tonight in his FIRST GAME!

Yeah, I'm negative, the spurs are in last place.. why not?

mexicanjunior
and they pick it up on defense

That's a big "If"...Duncan and Parker are exerting so much of themselves to keep the Spurs in the game on the offensive end, who knows how much they will have left on defense. I think fatigue really hurt them in the last 2-3 minutes of this game and it showed with how easily the Suns scored down the stretch.

MarHill
10-29-2008, 10:18 PM

I saw some light, but the same issues ARE STILL THERE... Haven't been addressed at all.

Meanwhile, players like Chalmers.. cough cough.. 2nd round pick, 10 times better than Hill put up all star numbers tonight in his FIRST GAME!

Reality Check..IT IS GAME ONE of a new season!!! Geesh!!!

Now you are being unreasonable!!!

Obstructed_View

You might want to check the box score, peanut.

THE SIXTH MAN

:lol Man how can people hate on Sequ with takes like this????

MarHill
10-29-2008, 10:25 PM
:lol Man how can people hate on Sequ with takes like this????

That's easy!

Because the organization has four championships (three out of the last six) and people like Sequ Spur need to have some legitimate criticism especially after the first game of a new season. Now just the Spurs suck or that the Suns were up 20. (Not true!!)

Especially when Oberto, Ian, Manu, and Tolliver were not playing.

It's myopic and silly to go over the top with negativity when the evidence has shown this has been the best basketball team over the last ten years.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 10:26 PM
That's easy!

Because the organization has four championships (three out of the last six) and people like Sequ Spur need to have some legitimate criticism especially after the first game of a new season. Now just the Spurs suck or that the Suns were up 20. (Not true!!)

It's myopic and silly to go over the top with negativity when the evidence has shown this has been the best basketball team over the last ten years.

"the last ten years"

Marhill, with all due respect....

It's a new year.

:toast

THE SIXTH MAN
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
That's easy!

I was being more tongue and cheek, but hey! :lol

THE SIXTH MAN
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I was being more tongue and cheek, but hey! :lol

But seriously, dude is funny with the shit he says. :toast

MarHill
10-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Sequ Spur

It is only one game! That's the problem!

I could see if it was 20 or 30 games into the season.

It's easy....to go overboard after one game.

Also, I know it's a new year. However, this is still a championship-caliber ball club and not to acknowledge that and automatically say this year the Spurs are going to suck after one game is myopic.

Especially when the past evidence has shown otherwise....please be realistic!!!

ducks
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
:lol:lol
Trading Scola lost us at least one championship.:lol:lol

manu's health against lakers did and the schedule in the wcf

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Sequ Spur

It is only one game! That's the problem!

I could see if it was 20 or 30 games into the season.

It's easy....to go overboard after one game.

Also, I know it's a new year. However, this is still a championship-caliber ball club and not to acknowledge that and automatically say this year the Spurs are going to suck after one game is myopic.

Especially when the past evidence has shown otherwise....please be realistic!!!

Dude, outside of Duncan and Parker, where is the hope? I see spurs winning more than their share of home games but going way below .500 on the road.

I just didn't start watching basketball yesterday. This team is very borderline this year.

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Dude, you hit it right on the head.

It's very irritating... Fuck, they are two players away from being super elite and they sign a bunch of shit...

Can any of the Spurs dunk a ball?

As much as I'd lova to disagree with you - I just can't. It's early but I don't like the construction of this roster. To me, there are 3 wasted roster spots - Bonner, Finley and Vaughn.

Substitue in Luis Scola, James Posey and perhaps a 3rd PG like a Keith McLeod and the Spurs would be much better off.

Speaking of Scola, I was very much against bringing him in. I have no problem admitting I wrong. As for Posey, I really believe that once Maggette spurned the Spurs advances, they should've quickly turned their attention to him Mason is good and I'm sure he'll be a fine addition, but Posey is a clutch player and a proven champion who would've also fit right in.

SpurSupremacist
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM
It's a shame Holt fucked this team, Tim's team. Just to save money. Fuck you, Peter Holt. You fucked up Duncan's ring count.

Sean Cagney
10-29-2008, 10:41 PM

Duncan is better than Parker..... Oh yeah like they said it is one game, step off that ledge and come to grips man, you are giving up already? Manu is not even out there yet.

Man the spurs suck this year. Manu is their motion offense. lol

Screw the Mavs, first round exits again......

Manu is their motion O though you are right, him not out there is going to hurt badly. They need to stay afloat till he gets back, then it's on.

MarHill
10-29-2008, 10:43 PM
[QUOTE=SequSpur;2858412]Dude, outside of Duncan and Parker, where is the hope? I see spurs winning more than their share of home games but going way below .500 on the road.

I just didn't start watching basketball yesterday. This team is very borderline this year.[/QUOTE

Sequ Spur,

I believe that you haven't started watching basketball yesterday.

However, you have already made a judgement on a team that has missing players and new players trying to find their way.

That's the problem. Also, how do you know that they going to below .500 on the road? Again....you are going over the top with your instant judgement.

I don't get it. This team has earned my credibility and yes the past work is the reason why they have earned my credibility.

This team has already reached the mountain top (more than once) and unlike a team like Phoenix is still trying to get there. I would be more harsh on a team like the Suns instead Spurs...who are still very good.

Wow!!!!!!!!

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 10:55 PM
True. It is a long season. Yet, I have an observation. All summer we've taken solace in the fact that "if Manu would not have been hurt......". All the pundits, experts and even us fans have been saying it. However, I have a different take. Manu's injury exposed yet a major flaw on this team - namely the inefficient supporting cast. It was the case versus the Fakers in the playoffs and now it looks to be the case now.

We saw tonight how much Duncan and Parker were forced to carry the offensive and defensive load in Manu's absence. Outside of Mason, there was virtually no contribution from the bench. The tremendous disparity in scoring from Tim/Tony (32 points each)and the rest of the team was so obvious.

Good bench play is the key to championships. A more recent example is the Boston Celtics of last year. Like the Spurs, they too, have a big three. One of them usually is called to carry the load in critical moments, hit big shots, etc. However, it is their bench contributions that sustained them throughout the playoffs - especially during their blowout of the Fakers. During every Spurs championship run, the same can also be said. Mark my words. Manu or no Manu, the Spurs bench play, along with the health of their big three, will determine how successful they will be this season.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
The most glaring consequence of Manu's absence is when the Spurs couldn't generate a remotely decent shot at the end of the game, and had to settle for three point attempts from the two worst three point shooters on the floor. They had time for two point shots if they could have made a stop. I don't think they believed that they could.

Lebowski Brickowski
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
The scoring question is a legitimate concern. Big reason why is that Finley is starting -- again??? When he was resigned, some in here said "5-10 mins a game and a player-coach role. Great signing!!! :suckcock :suckcock "

my ass

Finley was a liability ALL YEAR last season. Barry moved the offense. The motion offense worked because of Barry.

Finley and Vaughn and Bonner just gumm up the flow like clogged fucking arteries.

4 down all year long guys. All year long.
TD is still the best and will score at will but a whole season and playoffs of 4 down will not will the title. Or even win top 4 in the West.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Good bench play is the key to championships. A more recent example is the Boston Celtics of last year. Like the Spurs, they too, have a big three. One of them usually is called to carry the load in critical moments, hit big shots, etc. However, it is their bench contributions that sustained them throughout the playoffs - especially during their blowout of the Fakers. During every Spurs championship run, the same can also be said. Mark my words. Manu or no Manu, the Spurs bench play, along with the health of their big three, will determine how successful they will be this season.

Agreed, we need bench players who aren't AFRAID. And I'm not talking about the fearless bonehead shots ala Matt Bonner takes.

MarHill
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
True. It is a long season. Yet, I have an observation. All summer we've taken solace in the fact that "if Manu would not have been hurt......". All the pundits, experts and even us fans have been saying it. However, I have a different take. Manu's injury exposed yet a major flaw on this team - namely the inefficient supporting cast. It was the case versus the Fakers in the playoffs and now it looks to be the case now.

We saw tonight how much Duncan and Parker were forced to carry the offensive and defensive load in Manu's absence. Outside of Mason, there was virtually no contribution from the bench. The tremendous disparity in scoring from Tim/Tony (32 points each)and the rest of the team was so obvious.

Now I agree with that concern. Points from the bench is going to be key from this team during the season.

But, I did see Mason get his own shot off the dribble and Finley did hit a couple of jumpers.

Still, I'm not to make an extreme judgement after one game especially when two of our bigs (yes there are serviceable at best...but they are a part of the rotation) were out. I want to make an assessment after 20 or 30 games.

The Truth #6
10-29-2008, 11:10 PM
The funny thing is I bet a lot of fans would deal with Jackie Butler if it meant we had Scola. We were so short tonight down low, even Butler might have got some burn.

Early setbacks will hopefully compel Pop to give Hill minutes over Vaughn. I don't see that being too much of an obstacle. I'm guessing Hill is still injured or Pop wants to bring him along slowly for some reason.

I know this was too big of a game to throw Farmer out there but he could have taken some of Finley's minutes. We needed someone to hit a shot throughout the night. (At the same time we needed to make stops but that's another issue.

This year is going to depend on new guys stepping up, in combination with the FO allowing them the chance.

Purple & Gold
10-29-2008, 11:20 PM

Actually the Lakers will win Team of the Decade :toast

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 11:22 PM
Actually the Lakers will win Team of the Decade :toast

Of course they will; 2/3 of the voters are Laker fans. Doesn't change the fact that the Spurs are the best team.

Purple & Gold
10-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Of course they will; 2/3 of the voters are Laker fans. Doesn't change the fact that the Spurs are the best team.

Whaaaat??

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 11:32 PM
The funny thing is I bet a lot of fans would deal with Jackie Butler if it meant we had Scola. We were so short tonight down low, even Butler might have got some burn.

Early setbacks will hopefully compel Pop to give Hill minutes over Vaughn. I don't see that being too much of an obstacle. I'm guessing Hill is still injured or Pop wants to bring him along slowly for some reason.

I know this was too big of a game to throw Farmer out there but he could have taken some of Finley's minutes. We needed someone to hit a shot throughout the night. (At the same time we needed to make stops but that's another issue.

This year is going to depend on new guys stepping up, in combination with the FO allowing them the chance.

Exactly. Tonight would have been a good opportunity to see Hill, Ian and Tolliver - had they been available. The young guys MUST get a chance to play. Pop may have to lengthen his usual short leash, once we get them back.