PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bonner Blows

Ghost Writer
10-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I know he is white and has red hair and you homers root for him, but he does not warrant any minutes.

Tonight's extended minutes was embarrassing.

I know F. Oberto was out, but play anyone besides Bonner.

He has no confidence, game savvy or skill.

All he can do is shoot the ill-advised 3.

The Spurs love their obligatory 6-10 stiff who chuck treys, but c'mon.

Danny Ferry in his fiinal years wasn't this bad.

Robert Horry's dead corpse will be more effective.

Bonner might've single handedly blown this game with his dumb fouls, poor decision making, botched tip backs and missed shots.

E20
10-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah...........Boner sucks.

Spurs Brazil
10-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Bonner biggest problem is inconsistent play

He played well in the 1st half and when he come in the 2nd half he made a dumb play and it was a downfall from there

But my biggest worry is on defense. He and Thomas were terrible on D

Manu20
10-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Ian should get his minutes.

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2008, 09:47 PM
mattbonner is shit than the shittest nba baller in the league atm, and who could that be...

we paying this clown 3-3.5m a season to stink on our bench....

holcs50
10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I haven't seen many people on these boards that root for him. Most are tired of him, know he shouldn't have anywhere near the contract he does have, and would like to see him GTFO of town. Personally i get sick watching him play-like stomach aches-he's slow, uncoordinated, ogreish, and just doesn't look like he should be anywhere near a basketball court. Im very tired of the spurs having big guys that are so unathletic-thats why I'm really counting on mahinmi to learn quickly and be at least a nice big on the defensive side.

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I know he is white and has red hair and you homers root for him, but he does not warrant any minutes.

Tonight's extended minutes was embarrassing.

I know F. Oberto was out, but play anyone besides Bonner.

He has no confidence, game savvy or skill.

All he can do is shoot the ill-advised 3.

The Spurs love their obligatory 6-10 stiff who chuck treys, but c'mon.

Danny Ferry in his fiinal years wasn't this bad.

Robert Horry's dead corpse will be more effective.

Bonner might've single handedly blown this game with his dumb fouls, poor decision making, botched tip backs and missed shots.

I think this was more of a byproduct of Oberto being out. Once he returns, Bonner will get spot minutes at best...

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Matt Bonner had the green light all night.. :lmao

It's gonna be a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg season... :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Are you guys serious? The reason Matt Bonner is being played so much is obvious:

It's the most logical decision to make regarding his minutes.

If you don't play Matt Bonner, he stays on the team and you still actually end up playing Matt Bonner.

If you do play Matt Bonner, you have an outside shot at him playing well in some aspect of the game, then increasing his value, therefore making him easier to trade.

So we just need to hope he doesn't keep playing like this or else he's here to stay.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 09:54 PM
:lmao

I love when Spursfan thinks Bonner is being showcased.. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
He's not being showcased perse, but we have to play him no matter what, so at this point we're just hoping for him to play as good as it takes to trade him.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Dude, Stevie Wonder can read this and understand GWs take. I seriously doubt any GM in the NBA is interested in him.

Bender
10-29-2008, 09:57 PM
pop doesn't yell at players like he use to, but I notice bonner is the only one he still yells at...

Ghost Writer
10-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Fvck that.

I've seen enough.

Again, tradition says the Spurs overpay a 6-10 to flop and throw 3-pt. bricks.

Give me a gotd@mn athletic big who can block a shot and finish on a break. He can be dumb. We'll mold him!

Cant_Be_Faded
10-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Dude, Stevie Wonder can read this and understand GWs take. I seriously doubt any GM in the NBA is interested in him.

That's the whole point genius, I'm saying you are stuck with him no matter what, and it makes no sense not to play him. And since you have to play him it makes sense only to play him the way they are now. I was not surprised by them using suckass Bonner in this way tonight. But some of you seem to be.

MarHill
10-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry I have to defend Bonner tonight. He played okay and made a couple of shots to stretch the Suns defense. Also, he played some decent defense on Amare but got some tough (questionable) fouls called against him.

I'm not a huge Bonner fan either...because he has been inconsistent. However, he was not the reason the Spurs lost the game tonight.

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
i fuckn trade him back to toronto for bosh right about now, they be stupid not to take that deal, this is a 1 in a century trade....

Russ
10-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Bonner is like a 5th starter in baseball -- he's an "innings eater."

He'll allow you to rest your studs during the regular season to keep em fresh for the playoffs.

He'll never contribute in any big game situation -- he's just not good enough to be on the floor with the Lakers' athletes in a big series.

He has some value but . . .

Indazone
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Bonner

MVP!! MVP!! MVP!! MVP!! MVP!!

Ginobilly
10-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Spurs are going to be in trouble if one Ian Mahinmmi doesn't grow a sack and grow it quick. Bonner at best is training camp/practice material for Duncan and co to school and refine their games. I'd prefer Robert Horry's corpse over Bonner any day.

BlackSwordsMan
10-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Can spurs trade bonner + the hack a shaq for barry?

rascal
10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
The spurs will not be much above.500 if they will be playing Bonner big minutes.

he is just too slow and unathletic and only looks to throw up outside shots. It looked like Duncan was getting pissed off at him on several plays.

TDMVPDPOY
bonner is a 1 trick pony....sitting on the bench is not a trick damn it

tp2021
Tolliver out, Mahinmi out, Oberto out.
Who else did we have, retard? Game 1, and you are already back, starting your whiny threads.

Indazone
10-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Bonner should be playing in Europe or China. Just get Mahinmi and throw the dude into the fire.

TDMVPDPOY
10-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Can spurs trade bonner + the hack a shaq for barry?

i trade him straight up for the shittest big player in the league, and the other team wouldnt bite

rascal
10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
On top of that Scola ends up with a double double tonite.:depressed

How about the nice games Darrell Arthur and Chalmers had tonight. Those guys are looking good and could already be in the rotation and putting up quality stats for the spurs.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
i trade him straight up for the shittest big player in the league, and the other team wouldnt bite

:lmao

dude, that's pretty bad.....

THE SIXTH MAN
10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Watching boner play that many minutes was PAINFUL to watch! :bang

Indazone
10-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Trade him to Memphis for Darko. At least then you'd have a big man who could at least take some space up defensively.

Budkin
10-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Who can deny that? The guy is terrible.

Ginobilly
10-29-2008, 10:19 PM
How about the nice games Darrell Arthur and Chalmers had tonight. Those guys are looking good and could already be in the rotation and putting up quality stats for the spurs.

dude, don't even say that! I was on board the Arthur/Douglas Roberts/ Chalmers bandwagon prior to the Draft and Spurs draft one George Hill who can't finish against NBA talent and looks to be injury prone.:depressed I hope George Hill proves me wrong and makes me crow but the jury is still out on him.

SequSpur
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM

CDR didn't do shit tonight.

Chalmers kicked ass.

rascal
10-29-2008, 10:24 PM
dude, don't even say that! I was on board the Arthur/Douglas Roberts/ Chalmers bandwagon prior to the Draft and Spurs draft one George Hill who can't finish against NBA talent and looks to be injury prone.:depressed I hope George Hill proves me wrong and makes me crow but the jury is still out on him.

We should give Hill a chance but those guys are already looking like quality nba players.

SpurSupremacist
10-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone have the plus/minus with Bonner on the floor? Oh, I do. It's +7.

lefty
10-29-2008, 10:46 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/324563983_2b21c07324.jpg?v=0

lefty
10-29-2008, 10:46 PM
http://a471.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/80/m_807bf2d35b612c94b66c60db6a78b78e.jpg

lefty
10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_rgExXk4wZ3o/Rqlv_KK0Z6I/AAAAAAAAAAM/WofvGqe2MYQ/S269/redhead7a.JPG

lefty
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~bfmuldrake/redhead.jpg

tp2021
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Waaah

Warlord23
10-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I'd rather see super smallball with wing players like Finley and Udoka playing the 4, and PGs like Hill playing the swing positions, than see Bonner on the floor.

Look, Bonner has some useful skills, but those are for systems like D'Antoni's where you need to jack up shots and not have to rebound or play D. This is the Spurs and Pop is still the coach. Pop would normally balk at playing guys with good O and shitty D, and Bonner plays mediocre O and shitty D. This is a no-brainer.

I still wonder how drunk Pop was when he agreed to pay 3 million for a guy who has none of the qualities that the Spurs value.

ploto
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Give me an athletic big who can block a shot and finish on a break. He can be dumb. We'll mold him!

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/files/2008/08/elson_spurs_v_lakers1.jpg

mexicanjunior
10-29-2008, 10:59 PM
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sierra/files/2008/08/elson_spurs_v_lakers1.jpg

He couldn't finish on a break, he was the Roberto Duran of the NBA...

Joe Schmoogins
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Bonner didn't play that bad tonight... that's a fact.

Buddy Holly
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Chalmers kicked ass.

So did Haslem, who cares?

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 11:06 PM
I don't know what game some of you were watching. Other than missing too many shots, Bonner played really well. He had a nightmare matchup to start off the season, and he held his own, hit some shots, got some boards, and didn't turn the ball over. If he can get some confidence from the fact that he contributed even though his shot wasn't falling, his outlook is better than it's been since he's been on the team.

duncan228
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/10-29-0814.jpg

lefty
10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Horry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bonner

hater
10-29-2008, 11:10 PM
well he had a great 1st half but I really used not to expect much from Bonner.

He really needs to be more confident and even talk more shit to the refs. He keeps looking scared at his bench after a miss.

Bartleby
10-29-2008, 11:19 PM

That pic pretty much says it all. Even Duncan was visibly pissed at carrot top tonight.

Obstructed_View
10-29-2008, 11:21 PM
well he had a great 1st half but I really used not to expect much from Bonner.

He really needs to be more confident and even talk more shit to the refs. He keeps looking scared at his bench after a miss.

Pop's job this year is to build Bonner back up.

Indazone
10-29-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.andygriffithshow.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/topie1.jpg

OH JUST LET OPIE PLAY

objective
10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
the notion that Bonner played well tonight doesn't hold too much water.

He got used on the defensive boards early in the first half which cost the Spurs points. He was horrid in transition defense which cost the Spurs points. He wasn't hustling for loose balls. He hit some shots and ended up grabbing uncontested rebounds. That's all. He had some decent defensive moments when Amare was half-assing it. He also looked like the most fatigued player on the court. It's not like he's been sitting on a bench for 20 straight games, where was his wind?

And to correct Jeff Van Gundy on the broadcast: Matt Bonner is not a 'great shooter'. Steve Kerr was a 'great shooter'. Robert Horry was a 'great clutch shooter'. Matt Bonner is a good shooter for a big man. The only thing he's great at is making money, because if his career ends with his current contract he would have pocketed 8 figures.

SenorSpur
10-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Bonner gave up a few offensive rebounds because he doesn't have the presence of mind to put his body between the basket and an opposing player. This guys goes totally brain dead at times.

The more I see of him, the more I question WHY the Spurs chose to resign him.

dbreiden83080
10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Bonner is living proof, you can suck shit at virtually every aspect of the game on this level but as long as you are tall, you can still make millions..

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Bonner's play tonight was making me cringe. There was a critical period in the second half where he jacked up a three with
Tim wide open under the basket, and he followed that with an awkward 6 foot miss that I think epitomized his game.

I think I have to agree with GW.

Kori Ellis
10-30-2008, 12:07 AM
At least Ghost Writer's nagging is in midseason form already :tu

tp2021
10-30-2008, 12:12 AM
At least Ghost Writer's nagging is in midseason form already :tu

:td

Whisky Dog
10-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Bonner's play tonight was making me cringe. There was a critical period in the second half where he jacked up a three with
Tim wide open under the basket, and he followed that with an awkward 6 foot miss that I think epitomized his game.

His horrible defense late in the game allowing Stoudemire to get right to the rim with ease was the most sickening thing of the night and the reason the Spurs lose a game where Duncan and Parker go for 60+

I hope Hill and Tolliver can produce defensively and hold their own offensively just enough to make the opposing team respect and guard them. This team can be really good if Mason builds on tonight, Manu comes back healthy and once again becomes Manu, and Tolliver and Mahinmi can just be serviceable and good enough defensively and on the boards to not be a liability.

SpurSupremacist
10-30-2008, 12:14 AM
That pic pretty much says it all. Even Duncan was visibly pissed at carrot top tonight.

Actually, it says he missed him on a seal. And that's all it says.

SpurSupremacist
10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Bonner is living proof, you can suck shit at virtually every aspect of the game on this level but as long as you are tall, you can still make millions..

It also says he pulled down more rebounds than Duncan tonight. While you go by opinion, I will go by facts.

SpursFanFirst
10-30-2008, 12:18 AM
This thread blows.

tp2021
10-30-2008, 12:24 AM
LOL, are you shitting me. That is some weak ass shit right there...

Here is a fact for you

"Bonner sucks ass and anyone who is a fan of his, is in need of therapy"

How's that for ya??

Weak.

dbreiden83080
10-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Weak.

:rolleyes

Ice009
10-30-2008, 05:00 AM

I was pretty mad at Bonner, then when Tim just grabbed Bonner's head like that it made me twice as mad at him. Tim should have just ripped his head off and dunked it.

Texas_Ranger
10-30-2008, 05:10 AM
:tu

timvp
10-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Bonner needs to take some Quaaludes before he hits the court. A lot of his problem is he gets over-anxious and starts making hurried decision. If he could ever settle down and play with his brain instead of just his spastic reactions, he might okay.

But if he plays with the low basketball IQ he exhibited in the second half, Pop is going to put him in the doghouse again ... that's if Tim Duncan doesn't murder him first for missing countless defensive rotations. :lol

BronxCowboy
10-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I have to agree with those who are taking up for Bonner in this thread. He did look decent defensively in the first half, even when guarding Amare. His shot from 3pt was fine; of course they'll never all go in. Some concerning things to note are 1) whereas Horry would be at his best at the end of games, Bonner disappeared on both ends of the floor in the 4th and 2) Bonner seems to me to play better when Duncan is off the floor. I don't know; I think he has the tools to be a decent player, but definitely has some confidence issues.

manufor3
10-30-2008, 07:14 AM
I'm sorry I have to defend Bonner tonight. He played okay and made a couple of shots to stretch the Suns defense. Also, he played some decent defense on Amare but got some tough (questionable) fouls called against him.

I'm not a huge Bonner fan either...because he has been inconsistent. However, he was not the reason the Spurs lost the game tonight.

did u even watch the game?

galvatron3000
10-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Bonner did play good defense on Amare, some of those calls werre questionable but he did better than I would have expected. This was game one of the regular season, who cares. When the Spurs go on a 12 game losing streak then I'm concerned!!

Bonner is not the issue, whether you can move some guys and bring in some scoring is the problem.

benefactor
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Typical Bonner game...do some good things then suck just bad enough to show everyone you still are who you are. Nothing from last night changed my opinion about him. I am praying Tolliver can actually find his shot with some consistency so Bonner can be far as far from heavy rotation minutes as possible.

Mad Bonner
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Ghost Writer?!
More like nut rider!
It takes you 5 doughnuts just to open your eyes in the morning you fat sack of shit! I bust my ass every day. What do you do besides fill your ass with cock?!
Just for this thread I am going to every doughnut shop within a 5 mile radius of your house buy every freakin pastry they have then jerk my red rocket juice into every one of them then instruct them to only sell doughnuts to your fat ass. I’ll let them know to only sell to the guy with mustard and jelly stains all over his Captain America T-shirt.

lefty
10-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Somebody needs to Photoshop this, with Tim taking Bonner's head off :D

Chomag
10-30-2008, 09:54 AM

I gotta say this is the best picture I have seen in along while. You can even see Steve Nash in the far left of that picture stunned in amazment. I wander if he was thinking "Damn, it sucks to be him"

Mr. Body
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I see that picture and I imagine Duncan feels his career in contention slipping away. That's Buford's head he's holding in his hands.

z0sa
10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
ou do understand the Spurs scored 52 in the second half, and only 9 of those were from someone other than Tim and Tony?

In other words, Mason/Finley/Ime/Bonner/etc did not do enough. You guys are fucked in the head or something to just lay all or even a good portion of the guilt on Bonner - he's a big reason why it wasn't already a 10 point deficit at half time.

At least this guy had the BALLS to take some shots, I liked what he brought to the table even in the second half fellas.

Not only this, sure he missed a wide open Tim -- the guy wasn't even part of the active rotation a 3rd of last season.

Does he get not even one game to make a couple mistakes? If we won, everyone would be praising Bonner's first half and simply looking forward to him stringing together two such halves in the next game. Instead, everyone calls for his head and refuses to give him his credit, which is mightily due.

Assholes.

z0sa
10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Bonner needs to take some Quaaludes before he hits the court. A lot of his problem is he gets over-anxious and starts making hurried decision. If he could ever settle down and play with his brain instead of just his spastic reactions, he might okay.

But if he plays with the low basketball IQ he exhibited in the second half, Pop is going to put him in the doghouse again ... that's if Tim Duncan doesn't murder him first for missing countless defensive rotations. :lol

He was guarding Amare for long stretches, and if not for ref bailouts, would have done so successfully. I thought you would have at least brought this up Timvp.

Fingaroll44
10-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Tolliver out, Mahinmi out, Oberto out.
Who else did we have, retard? Game 1, and you are already back, starting your whiny threads.

bitch made is what we call it where im from

I. Hustle
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Ban this dude:nope

:lol I think he is funny 100 post dude

Mad Bonner
10-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Ban this dude:nope

Oh everyone here can talk shit about me but when I defend myself you wanna ban me? Your grandmothers a whore!

tp2021
10-30-2008, 12:50 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Crocker1.JPG
Leave Mad Bonner alone!

angelbelow
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
He was guarding Amare for long stretches, and if not for ref bailouts, would have done so successfully. I thought you would have at least brought this up Timvp.

it was obvious he couldnt guard amare. in fact he fouled him everytime and the refs just happen to bail bonner out.

Bruno
10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
What blows is the bunch of sheepish lemmings here.
I'm done posting here for some times.
Thanks and Good Bye.

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 01:09 PM

I already brought this up and agree.

tp2021
10-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks and Good Bye.

Ah shit.
Bruno's one of the great posters here.

Mad Bonner
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I blew all my Vbookie cash is what I blew. Can someone spot me a 50? I got a hot lead.

beachwood
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
yup. bonner is good for about 5 minutes a night. that's about it.

TJastal
10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
it was obvious he couldnt guard amare. in fact he fouled him everytime and the refs just happen to bail bonner out.

This isn't what I saw. Bonner did do a good job on man to man defense for a little over half the game on Stoudemire, contesting often and forcing misses. It was just that the refs bailed out Stoudemire every time on slight body contact which Stoudemire intiated every time. Bonner also did nice work boxing Stoudemire off the offensive boards, but numerous times smaller players got rebounds near or over him. I saw on two separate occasions he get outrebounded by Matt Barnes, when he in fact had the better position. He has slow reflexes, obviously. This is a major flaw to his game.

z0sa
10-30-2008, 03:31 PM
This isn't what I saw. Bonner did do a good job on man to man defense for a little over half the game on Stoudemire, contesting often and forcing misses. It was just that the refs bailed out Stoudemire every time on slight body contact which Stoudemire intiated every time. Bonner also did nice work boxing Stoudemire off the offensive boards, but numerous times smaller players got rebounds near or over him. I saw on two separate occasions he get outrebounded by Matt Barnes, when he in fact had the better position. He has slow reflexes, obviously. This is a major flaw to his game.

So Bonner has to box out two men now, not just Amare Stoudemire, to earn your respect?

Bonner will never make on ST, period.

leemajors
10-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks and Good Bye.

stay.

Anti.Hero
10-30-2008, 03:38 PM
bonner needs to make 70% of his 3 pters to justify his lack of floor IQ and weak defense.

I was really pulling for Matt but I am sick of the Spurs lack of athletic bigs.

SenorSpur
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
bonner needs to make 70% of his 3 pters to justify his lack of floor IQ and weak defense.

The genius post of this thread. Nuff said. :toast

z0sa
10-30-2008, 03:57 PM

OMFG, did no one see Bonner guarding Amare last night? KT fucked up on Amare like 8 times ffs. I would go as far as to say KT is the reason we lost.

same shit, different day for bonner and ST :sleep

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
OMFG, did no one see Bonner guarding Amare last night? KT fucked up on Amare like 8 times ffs. I would go as far as to say KT is the reason we lost.

same shit, different day for bonner and ST :sleep

It is the small minority on SpursTalk that watch the games with hate goggles. Do not worry.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Bonner's D against Amare was really good in the first half, but if he'd continued playing that way he'd have fouled out by the middle of the third quarter. It doesn't really matter how good your defense actually is if the refs send the guy to the line.

z0sa
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Bonner's D against Amare was really good in the first half, but if he'd continued playing that way he'd have fouled out by the middle of the third quarter. It doesn't really matter how good your defense actually is if the refs send the guy to the line.

You think refs will call those calls consistently, night to night? I mean, Bonner wasn't moving or jumping and was 5-7 feet from the basket.

I very much think you're right, but the truth is, refs will allow Bonner to play like that on a night in and night out basis.

DPG21920
10-30-2008, 04:06 PM

I do not mind Bonner playing with that aggression. The more he plays and the more he does it, the less calls he will have go against him. With Oberto and Ian healthy, then we are not concerned with his foul trouble as long as they come of aggressive defense and not stupid mistakes. As many, including myself, have stated, if Bonner can play like he did in the first half, without hesitation, then the Spurs will be better than last year.

MarHill
10-30-2008, 04:36 PM
did u even watch the game?

Yes, I watched the entire game. And Bonner played okay! He wasn't terrible (like most of the posts are saying) and he wasn't the reason they lose the game. Pick-n-roll defense was the problem!

I'm not going to just rip a guy because I don't like him.

SequSpur
10-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Bonner First Half :tu

Bonner Second Half :pctoss

Bonner sucks.

romad_20
10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Bonner lost the game but it was obvious that Tim and Pop were upset with his play a couple of times. Pop yelled at him and told him to get his ass to the bench one time.

Point being, we know what kind of player he is, inconsistent, and his minutes will go down once Ian and Oberto are playing.

Allanon
10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
The Spurs lost a winnable game due to Bonner. Bonner shouldn't have been in there at the end of the game. The other side is maybe the Spurs wouldn't have been in such a winnable game without Bonner.

But, seeing Bonner guarding him in the final frames only encouraged Amare to play better.

I'm not saying another player (KT?) could have done better but in those last 3 minutes, Amare abused Bonner pretty bad and that was the breakthrough moment of a very close game throughout.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Bonner lost the game but it was obvious that Tim and Pop were upset with his play a couple of times. Pop yelled at him and told him to get his ass to the bench one time.

Yeah, after Finley allowed his man a wide open lane to the basket. :lol

Joe Schmoogins
10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
The Spurs lost a winnable game due to Bonner. Bonner shouldn't have been in there at the end of the game. The other side is maybe the Spurs wouldn't have been in such a winnable game without Bonner.

But, seeing Bonner guarding him in the final frames only encouraged Amare to play better.

I'm not saying another player (KT?) could have done better but in those last 3 minutes, Amare abused Bonner pretty bad and that was the breakthrough moment of a very close game throughout.

If I remember correctly, Amare got the game changing and-1 with only a couple minutes left to play against Kurt Thomas... you were saying?

lefty
10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
yup. bonner is good for about 5 minutes a night. that's about it.

You mean when he challenges his teammates in a fart contest?

Yes he is good

ulosturedge
10-30-2008, 08:37 PM
He does nothing to enhance our defensive presence. Nobody is scared of Bonner lol. Thats what we lacked the first game btw. I hope and pray Ian can fill this massive abyss of defense down low. Duncan can't do it by himself.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
If I remember correctly, Amare got the game changing and-1 with only a couple minutes left to play against Kurt Thomas... you were saying?

The Bonner haters will just pretend you never actually posted that. This place is like the political forum when posters dislike a player: A lot of shouting and not a lot of listening.

ShoogarBear
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Allanon
10-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Nah, not that one, the one after it at about the 1:50 minute mark.

Amare got the ball at the top of the key and went right by Bonner for an easy dunk. It was a 3 point game that pumped up to 5 after that shot.

Tony Parker dives for a basket.

Then on the Suns possession, Bonner does ball watching instead of rotating to box out Shaq. He ends up tapping the ball out of bounds instead of grabbing it and the ball goes back to the Suns. That gave the Suns a fresh 24. Nash dribbled out about 20 seconds of it.

Then the 3 point Spurs shots began with Tony and Duncan and it was over.

TwelveGs210
10-30-2008, 10:19 PM
if that big raging tards gonna get paid 3 mil a year, he needs to be a bad ass, Bill Lambeer type enforcer.. let em get out there and throw his body around, get in some turiaf type hard fouls and be an intimidator for us..shit maybe even get a few suspensions and some fines..

Ghost Writer
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
The Spurs players may not be the most talented or athletic, but they generally are smart and defensively sound.

Sadly, if Bonner is not hitting those 3s, then we can't afford for him to miss his defensive assignments or make poor decisions on the offensive end.

The Spurs don't have a large margin for error with Manu out.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
The Spurs players may not be the most talented or athletic, but they generally are smart and defensively sound.
Obviously you missed the fourth quarter against the Suns, unless you think that Tony Parker and Tim Duncan shooting three pointers while Shaq has five fouls is smart basketball.

Dex
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Obviously you missed the fourth quarter against the Suns, unless you think that Tony Parker and Tim Duncan shooting three pointers while Shaq has five fouls is smart basketball.

So your argument is that because Tim and Tony took threes to tie in the first game of the season, the Spurs are a fundamentally unsound team?

Might want to reach back into the Bat-Belt, there.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:23 PM
So your argument is that because Tim and Tony took threes to tie in the first game of the season, the Spurs are a fundamentally unsound team?

Might want to reach back into the Bat-Belt, there.

You might want to polish up on your reading skills. The best the team could come up with were those two plays. That sort of flies in the face of the whole "generally smart" thing when you've got Duncan having his way in the post all night long and suddenly you go completely away for it for five minutes. And nobody could walk away from that fourth quarter thinking the Spurs were defensively sound.

Dex
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
You might want to polish up on your reading skills. The best the team could come up with were those two plays. That sort of flies in the face of the whole "generally smart" thing when you've got Duncan having his way in the post all night long and suddenly you go completely away for it for five minutes. And nobody could walk away from that fourth quarter thinking the Spurs were defensively sound.

Hey, I was yelling at the TV for them to take a time out, as well. I'm pretty sure most the people on this board could've drawn up a better play than that. If Parker isn't sizzling hot, or if Duncan hadn't hit that shot last playoffs, I bet neither of them jacks it up.

It wasn't a smart play, but the Spurs are not a dumb team. If you're going to have mental breakdowns, they're probably gonna show in the first game of the year.

As for the defense, it was also less than spectacular, but that's always been a work in progress throughout the season.

Obstructed_View
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey, I was yelling at the TV for them to take a time out, as well. I'm pretty sure most the people on this board could've drawn up a better play than that. If Parker isn't sizzling hot, or if Duncan hadn't hit that shot last playoffs, I bet neither of them jacks it up.

It wasn't a smart play, but the Spurs are not a dumb team. If you're going to have mental breakdowns, they're probably gonna show in the first game of the year.

As for the defense, it was also less than spectacular, but that's always been a work in progress throughout the season.

I think they'll shore up a lot of the defense tonight, and hopefully they come up with some better shots than that in end game situations.

One thing I hadn't thought of is that maybe a reason they didn't bother going to Timmy in the post is because Shaq had five fouls, and history says that he's going to be able to get away with just about anything defending Duncan because the refs just won't blow the whistle.

The Truth #6
10-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Both KT and Bonner had difficulties. Blaming all our woes on Bonner is missing the larger issue. All our big men outside of TD have big weaknesses.

KT is still having difficulties fitting in with this team in my opinion. I"m sure he gets along with everybody but he's a bit slow and doesn't seem to know where to be, and his shot is still off. Hopefully, that improves but I'll take Oberto over KT until KT can consistently hit his outside shot, which is odd because he's always been a very solid set shooter but like many players, they forget how to shoot once they pull into San Antonio Airport.

Oddly, we may get rebounding help from our backup point guard Walter Hill but we are really going to need defensive help from Ian and Tolliver, but neither of those guys seem very tough. People are laughing at Bonner's defensive presence but he won't get pushed around as much as Tolliver and Ian. I'm just saying.

SPURS21
10-31-2008, 09:47 PM
wow start to Bonner....fucking brutal

DROB4EVER
10-31-2008, 10:16 PM
We need to make a trade, how bout Frye from Portland, Williams from NJ...hell I would rather be starting Watkins!

hater
11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Kurt Thomas will be useless against young fast teams.

Bonner has no upside. what you see is what you get. that is not good enough. Pop needs to realize this.

Our teams sucks balls outside of TD,Parker,Mason

Indazone
11-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Bonner is better than Thomas right now and that's not sayin much. Posters are absolutely correct. A trade has to be made to shore up the position.